Paddle Shifters

Why even drive a standard transmission with a manually-operated clutch when there are cars that will do the mechanical part flawlessly and leave you the choice of shifting when you want?

It's all of the good and none of the bad.

ex-manual driver here, too. No, I've never replaced a clutch because I was good at shifting.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox#Volkswagen_Passenger_Cars\
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles_with_continuously_variable_transmissions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can't go instantly from 6th to 4th.

>pushes paddle twice

>unironically thinks paddle shifters are better

If it's a decent dct sure why not.

Torque converter auto suck

>memes memey meme meme
>meme meme memer memes

There's a pretty big difference between the two though

>ex-manual driver here, too. No, I've never replaced a clutch because I was good at shifting.

Well good luck when that DCT needs its clutches replaced at 100k

Also good luck getting a decent DCT in a used car cheaper than 20k right now

Autotragics just don't get it. You have to live it to understand so save your fucking statistics and times.

if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a car and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that an automobile could level you with its eyes, feeling like God put a machine on earth just for you who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be that machine's angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through rusting undercarriges. And you wouldn't know about sleeping sitting up in the mechanics shop for two months, holding her shifter knob because the men could see in your eyes, that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause it only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love a car that much. And look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared shitless autotragic.But you presume to know everything about me because I drive a manual, and you ripped my fucking life apart.

manualfags are lierally this retarded

have fun rev matching in traffic in your 80hp fwd cuckbox, ill enjoy my time actually experiencing performance driving

>MUH HIGH PERFORMANCE
>MUH 0 60

fuck off autotragic

We have this same shit thread every day. Don't respond you fucking idiots.

My negro paddleshift masterrace

Heavier.

False.

My car skips skips a gear if you doubletap the paddles.
>7th to 5th
>6th to 4th
>5th to 3rd
It wont do 4th to second though

Is it true that this is bad for a manual?

I've always been taught that you have to go down in order, if even for a very short time.

Something about synchro wear?

MUH THIRD PEDAL

MUH REAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE

MUH REAL FEELING

FUCK OFF MY RETARD

I get it. I'd feel insescure and inferior too if a car guy tossed me the keys to his '63 vette and said take it for a spin kid and I had to tell him t-thanks b-but i can't drive stick...

Sir I'm going to ask you for a picture of your vehicle

long term, maybe. if you consistently skip 2nd for the life of your car, there'd be less wear than 1st and 3rd

i know, who could pass up that real driving experience, that third pedal, that real feeling?

>tfw no paddle shifters

A-at least I have the + and - stick thing

Polo? Golf?

I think you are looking too far into it. It's literally swype vs. typing on a phone.

I prefer manual typing because there's less mistakes and I like how it feels with the haptic feedback of each press. But I fully acknowledge swype is faster and more efficient.

It literally comes down to preference.

That being said my dad's ranger, which is what I learned on, was AIDS to get into first and I'd stall all the time. But I loved it, and I do miss it sometimes.

But I also enjoy the paddles on my car, it feels like a video game with the digital dash, paddles, navigation, and crazy comfy sport seats. Theres also enough control with gears and tight steering and power to be a lot of fun.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox#Volkswagen_Passenger_Cars\

>See Recalls.

Yeah I saw that movie too. How bout them apples.

No, only if you don't rev match. Or even better, double clutch.

Go buy a self driving car you lazy cuck

What makes you think he'd be double clutching like he should? He never even had his car!

>Never replaced a clutch
Or you are 2 young, or you change care constantly.
Clutches will need replacement regardless of how bad you are.

I don't fully understand what "Swype vs type" means but I catch your drift. Me personally I view manual cars as one of the vestiges of true mechanical connection with the machine. The trend seems to be moving towards software and automation with cars.

I'm curently looking for a car and I'm not sure if I want to get a c class DCT, hopefully AMG, or some BMW with manual. My heart goes to manual because it is just fun and im worried the selection will keep dwindling. Also it is kinda cool to drive a manual in a newer car, making you a small minority in america.

{crickets}

the absolute state of this mad cuck

Honestly if autotragics didn't feel, if even subconciously, very inferior then these threads wouldn't exist. There would probably be a thread up most days of manualfags circile jerking but mostly just begineeres asking nube questions. When you throw the gasoline on the fire that is autotragics trying to vent because all they can do irl is pic related you get this """"great debate"""" that infests this board

Benchracers need no apply here faggot.

>ill enjoy my time actually experiencing performance driving
That guy doesn't drive well at all, and peeling out in a bus is just stupid.

Will do m8.

I also enjoy throwing it around corners on a mountain road and enjoying dem revs

>flicking a paddle is engaging
It's not. Every single automatic I've driven with these (including high end BMW's and Mercedes) just feels like a gimmick. If I'm driving auto, I just leave it 100% auto.

>see number of recalls on manuals and regular autos in their first years as well

Dumbshit, dual clutches are infants compared to all other transmissions, even CVT. No shit they have bugs to work out. But VW's current DSGs are bombproof. The DSG in the Mk7 golf actually holds way better than the manual, manual is good to 400-500whp, the DSG has gone up to 700 without a complete overhaul and survived.

>wrong
dct is heavier and can't handle as much torque.
it's been relegated to a shit tier cvt alternative by most manufacturers

do you still have to clutch? seems like it would feel odd

No pedal. You bump the paddle and it's fly-by-wire from there on out.

Because dcts and tcs a shit

Smg pls

thats pretty cool, would be odd for me not having a traditional gear box, i would probably put the handbreak elsewhere and free up the centre completely.

>choice of shifting when you want
Because it's not when you want it's when the computer says you can or cant

The paddle shifters are always computerized electronic shit. It's nothing mechanical at all and a gimmick at best.

>he drives a manual, but can't heel toe.

You don't need to make own how to heel toe to Rev match or down shift

what is heel toe?

Toe on the brake, use your heal to blip the throttle to downshift all without having to take your foot off the brake

Didn't they delay the Golf R for over an year because the couldn't make it handle torque? Oh, yeah they did that.

meltdown alert

Yeah I can see how it's awesome for Formula 1 because it's faster and speed is the goal there, but if I'm driving for fun I want everything mechanical. I don't give a rat's ass about shaving a fraction of a second off my gear changes if I have no actual control over it. Being driven by a computer for fun doesn't sound that great.

Saying an automatic is better is like saying:
>playing a game with autoaim is better because I get better results

F1 cars and the like still have a manual clutch you need to operate to move from a standstill or stop the car. They're not DCT though

My favorite few cars I've driven are all SMG with paddle shift. Clutch pedal to launch, clutchless shifting with paddles, nice satisfying clunk when you shift and autoblip on downshift

Stop using your brake pedal so much.

>he drives a shitty car where first gear isn't up to 80 MPH

Depends on how well you can revmatch

DCTs have been around since the 80s in Porsche race cars

Only positive to a paddle shift 5 speed automatic transaxle, is the electronically limited rpm is higher in "sport" mode and using the paddles.

> transaxle
> FF
no thanks

Pretty much all paddle shifted TC auto's have a delay from when you press the lever to the transmission actually shifting. That kinda kills it.

dsg's and paddle shifted sequentials are legit.

it's called autotragic for a reason. A sports car without a clutch is like a bird without wings, its like beer without alcohol, its like a black guy with a 6 inch dick. The entire soul has been ripped out of the being and all that is left is a shell of itself. Whenever a see a sweet car in a parkinglot I walk over and peak in the window and i know within .1 of a second if I respect that car's owner as a man or if he is just another poser in a sea of autotragics

Again, personal preference.

It's not keeping the car from being fast or controllable. Most performance cars will let you pick any gear you want and really only prevents you from moneyshifting or Stalling. Older autos? Sure, they were trash. Now there are no real disadvantages to either other than feeling and experience.

Except CVTs. CVTs are Satan's asshole

Post your car now

>tfw 1st gear goes almost to 100mph
>don't have to shift in traffic
>feels good mang

of course the trend is moving towards automation, it gives a superior result. You don't wonder why people stopped designing aircraft with mechanical controls, do you?

luddite

Nothing feels as good as slamming a gear home and hitting the gas.

I bet you use power steering you massive cuck.

>Tfw brand new cesnas and mooneys have manual controls.

Is it bad that I want an autobox that I can shift like a manual?
I lost most feeling in my left leg; I have a hard time with clutch control these days, so I drive an autobox with paddle shifters, but I miss holding the shifter and moving it into place - clicking a paddle isn't as satisfying.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It is good to be comfy and like you said about your leg, no need to push it.

>78 retards replying to bait

Thoughts on BMW SMG?

It seems like you end up just driving in auto mode 98%/of the tume, only switching to manual on back roads or the track. The this I like about clutches is you are forced to use it all the time

If you would actually try to drive stick instead of trying to convince the board you're not a faggot, you would have already done it.

Stop trying to shill yourself, and just do it.

Clutch is not that scary user.

A thread a few weeks ago had some people saying that hand clutches were nicer to use than normal clutches. Have you given those a try?

Lol. This is hilarious. For years the reason was because "manuals are better because they're faster", and now that that hasn't been true for years, it's "you don't understand wahhh" or "I feel happier".

Fuck right off. Autos are superior, which is not to say manuals should disappear, no, I like manuals, but it's time to stop think you're superior or better some how because of it or that a car isn't fun or good without it.

To be fair, any decent automatic is out of my pricerange, so manuals are still better for me, muh feelings or not.

Any half-assed auto in the last 5-10 years still wins, I can totally side with that.

I promise no one in real life cares if you drive an automatic, so stop coping so hard on this anonymous Vietnamese sweater knitting forum

you probably cant coast with paddles.

That really sucks

>It wont do 4th to second though
That's my favorite though

If you want to learn to drive a manual car quickly, you're going to need to be downshifting while braking.
Brake before the corner, get in your gear before the corner. Throttle to balance the car through the corner, then WOT as you straighten up.
If you can't heel toe you're never going to be a proficient manual driver.

If driving a manual hard, you should never be not heel toeing if you're down shifting.

Is DSG (vw) shit?

So um... Is it bad that I like driving manual because it makes me feel like more of a cool car guy because no one else my age drives manuals let alone owns a fun car.

There's nothing wrong with doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
Hopefully you'll see the light.

Manuals are more fun. Plus it's amazing when people wonder how you can drive it. Not that difficult just takes a bit of patience to learn

Well hey, I mean it is kinda a given to me that they are more fun, its not like I think it a chore to shift.

What is more fun though, a slow manual or a fast auto? I am cross shopping a c450 and a 330i (manual).

>transaxle
>FF
What about
>transaxle
>MR
?
What then?

Manual is the fun part about driving.
Fast isn't really fun. Limits are fun.
The faster the car, the higher the limits, the harder to reach, the worse things can go.

you own a retard?

What, you think they should be allowed to run free, without restraint and supervision?

>Can't instantly push clutch in in case of a failure.
>Can't push start your car if battery is dead and alone
Also if we're really talking about performance here, CVT without paddle shifters would be the best considering it would just hold at your engine's peak performing rpm with no time to shift because it doesn't have to... so sorry, kiddo. Paddle shifters can't claim that title either.

The best part about my 250 bike or my miata.
Literally jump start with a couple steps.

Your list of things it can't do will never happen to over 98% of owners.
>Also if we're really talking about performance here, CVT without paddle shifters
Okay then, if CVT is the best, then how come car manufacturers pretty much don't put CVT in their sports cars and other high performing cars?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles_with_continuously_variable_transmissions

hmm?

CVT was banned from F1 for being too fast

I'm talking road cars regular people can buy.

i guess maybe because people dont like it? you are forgetting that most people buying cars dont know anything about this stuff and just want a car