freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

janefriedman.com/how-to-spot-toxic-feedback/
moddb.com/games/switchum
store.steampowered.com/app/615610/orbt_xl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for anime is gay

second for first is right, anime is gay

In shoot-em-ups, does the player actually move? Or is he still, and the background moves around him? How do they know when to spawn the enemies?

/music plays

Playing the genre you want to make a game in is always a step in the right direction, user! Then you learn what a good pacing feels like for the type you want to make (it varies a lot with shmups and you need to go with what kind you actually like so find some and play)

fpwp

>In shoot-em-ups, does the player actually move?
background moves

>How do they know when to spawn the enemies?
timers

Been working on an RTS for a few weeks, sorta like a high fantasy Wargame. Pretty much have all the base systems done. Time to begin on the aesthetic bits.

I'm fucking about with the screen percentage functionality in ue4 for the first time.
So this is the fps template running at a screen percentage of 50, is it some other process causing it to blur up on distant objects or is this the way the engine scales up straight edges?

Something about shmups draws in devs who have never really played them. Maybe it's because it's one of the classic genres, initially made by total amateurs back when there WAS no canon of shmups. The gameplay is elementary, too: just move a thing around a screen dodging other things. So these new devs try to make a naive, classic shmup, without knowing that the genre has evolved in on itself

It's still one of the simplest genres to start gamedev with. I think that's what draws new devs to make them even if they don't really care for the genre.

Pay your respects to the dead.

Ehehe, I drew that

Change r.upscale.quality to 0

what have you been doing all these years "using" UE4?

Hi I'm new to posting. Heres some videos of my current game which is basically a faster than light ripoff with elite style open world missions and trading.

You should draw more. Got any other vintage pieces?

>Hi I'm new to posting.
preemptive rip

What is your art like right now?

Who wants to collab on a pokémon-like game but with real time battles for monster jam? I'd make the art

That initial message has to be the most uninteresting piece of text I've ever read.
Learn from FTL and keep the text short and to the point.

>doesnt post art

You sound like you have thin skin. Try not to take things people say here too seriously.

Here's some trading action.

Keep talking, how long till monster jam. I'm a programmer

Duly noted

Nope, lost everything to a failed hard drive
I also drew a bunch of shitty gwyn drawings, so I'm glad I lost it

>how long till monster jam
I know you're new but are you really too stupid to read the OP?

I was posting fairly frequent progress for my older projects before I fell off the face of the earth for a while

post that snippet of code
you know which one i'm talking about

Is this better?

Sorry I'm not at my desktop now, and I haven't really modeled any monsters (well I actually did for a couple of games some time ago). I do low poly.

Don't want to sound like the memer but do you use Unity? I'd rather work with someone who does so I can help out a bit with smaller stuff.

Nice! How many years of UE4 did that take? Really inspiring, keep it up.

Wait you were the one making that """"OoT""""" clone right?

Is all this nice art you post for a game? Seems like you just make and upload stuff for free.

Screenshot unrelated, working on procedural generation for maps now. Adding variation and keeping the maps playable is a bit more challenging than what I thought. If you put too many rules in, all maps end up looking awfully similar, if you put too few, the maps are an unplayable mess. Fun times ahead.

Completely unrelated: Found this article about feedback and it's interesting how many parallels there are between feedback in writing and AGDG.
janefriedman.com/how-to-spot-toxic-feedback/

Saw your other webms on the previous thread,good progress user, I like this kind of game.
I have buying/selling mechanics in my game too and I made them a bit more interesting by adding events for different locations (e.g. product A might have a drastic drop in price instead of a regular fluctuation, allowing you to stock up massive amounts and selling them later on).

>Seems like you just make and upload stuff for free.
Yeah, pretty much.
I'd like to get back to making games some time, but right now I just need to make some money

Here's the map screen in a bit more detail

Yes

I do, but I've also released games with UE4. I'm happy with either.

Also shilling my old shitty puzzler: moddb.com/games/switchum

thanks for the demo day feedback

I wanted the objective of my open world RPG to hunt down evil relics across multiple regions by following leads that only show how many tiles away they are from the closest one.

But it just turned into minesweeper.

like, barely a week according to the created/last edited times
no, there's nothing remotely oot-like in my work, tho I'm notoriously jelly of their catoony look.

I did once say I'd like to make a comfy sailing game similar to wind waker in tone but without much land-related adventuring

Hey just so you're aware, there is a meme going around that plays out like this:
>artist looking for a programmer
>programmer here, let's collab
>what engine do you use?
>[anything]
>haha sorry nevermind, good luck!
It makes it a pain in the ass to find a real artist. Not saying that the user you're replying to is shitposting, but without posting art, they are currently following the formula to a t.

I meant how many years before you were able to make a project that quickly. Something like that would take me a month at least.

I know you're just memeing but I'm totally serious about the text being terrible, who the fuck plays a space game to read about inheritances and outstanding debts?
I don't think FTL's writing is particularly good either but at least it evokes some interesting images in your head.

I'm thinking the same thing. I was going to run them the economy on another thread so it can just interate all the planets in the background simulating trades between them. Not sure if that's overkill though, are there any articles around about programming an in game economy?

Thanks for the tips anons. I'm not sure about making the shaver stand more to the left. It's hard to make his body.

Thanks for the advice.

>It makes it a pain in the ass to find a real artist
Does it? All someone has to do is post art

Well I was kinda doing a stardew valley, like setting up the scene and all that. I want to get across that your new to space travel and you've got a shit spaceship and only a little bit of cash. Maybe a little animation would get it across better.

Cool. To tell the truth I'm still undecided, I don't know if this is the game I want to make or if I want to make it alone or not (I like programming, bur I'm bad at it).
If you want to keep in touch, message me on discord SquareAnon#9593

I came up with a shitload of original names for creatures in my game, do I need to trademark them or does that shit fall under copyright?

not intending to go after people who later use them, I just don't want some jew fag having the same idea a year from now and coming after me

I'd say maybe 2 to 3 years I'd been using it at that point, but like, once you have a familiarity with the engine, slapping things together can take minutes or months, and sometimes the only difference is how you've gone about implementing something. I use blueprints for all my prototyping which also speeds things up.

Not sure if any other articles, but I got inspired by a really old Palm pilot game called dope wars. there's plenty of clones out there, check it out.
Having events + limited storage makes you plan ahead and makes stuff more interesting. If you also make a rule where you can't sell something if it's not available for purchase (i.e. they are not trading that item) you make it even more interesting.

hey im making a pokemon clone

what should my player catch the totally not pokemons in

I never played Stardew Valley but Harvest Moon BTN sets the tone perfectly in the initial cutscene, you don't need to make inheritance boring and the beginning of the game is certainly not where you want to place the most boring message.

pouch spheres

pet bags

catchem-boxes

I played that a little way back in the day. Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up again.

>shitty gwyn drawings
These were a work of art man.

pls tell me you have more of them saved

Nodev here. I have no experience about coding but i can kinda model, texture and animate . Do I promise hope senpai?

nah
nah
okay

Keep working on it user. And for god's sake stop using blender.

>decide to make a pokemon clone
>suddenly everyone is making a pokemon clone

quite a few people are looking for 3D modelers / animators, It shouldn't be hard to get with another project.

Then if you don't like the way it's going you can just hop over to a different one.

just keep them in tupperware

download ue4 and play with the material editor

you can make some terrifying shit

People have been doing pokemon clones since forever, maybe you haven't heard of them because no one gives a fuck about pokemon clones and the only one who enjoyed some moderate success was that Rick and Morty one.

How good are you at animating though?

Don't listen to this faggot blender is alright

They targeted gamers.
Gamers.
We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.
We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.
We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.
Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know every little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.
Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?
These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.
Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us.

autism

The character colors seem very clashing and out of place, otherwise pretty enjoyable

Blender sucks balls mate. I was a VFX artist for 10 years. I was happy using Maya/Max/XSI/Houdini. I've used every 3d program that's out there, Modo, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Boujou, 3DCoat, Mudbox, you name it I've used it on a job.
Blender is hands down the most backwards retarded piece of shit I've ever used. It's so bad compared to literally any commercial 3d program. It's UI is even worse than ZBrush and it's community are all talentless neets.
If you want to learn and get better learn from the best not the worst. Get Maya or 3dsMax and talk to people at the cgsociety not Veeky Forums.

itsa me

I like it. Dunno what's going on but I like it.

why are you here then?

I don't know this pasta but it smells stale. smells like it started stale.

Discord?

Second for Blender sucking enormous sets of balls. Literally no reason not to get 3ds Max or Maya now that they've made them more accessible financially.

Blender is decent, you just need to spend some time getting used to the interface

can I bake the normal from a subsurfed model onto the un-subsurfed model?

I am confused because the subsurfed model's dimensions change.

I make games in my spare time. Weekends and after work. For like, fun. There's some talented 2d peeps here but the 3d is always shit and it's cos they're all into the blender meme.

You're too stupid for Blender. You don't think we can see that?

Confirmed copypasta.

I like blender but honestly why should I use something else?
I guess you didn't see the blade dong of my creations, please reevaluate your decision. Naa it isn't fully finished yet, texture is still shit.
I think, I'm still not that good, but i guess,i can understand them better after applying them to something.

I do but I'm not at my computer.

Because Blender actually reduces your skill and makes you worse at 3Ding.

You gotta spend time getting to learn any 3d interface. It's just that blender is the only one that punishes you for using logic and reason to discern what your doing.

Get fucked mate, I literally just wrote it so suck my balls.

>I like blender but honestly why should I use something else?
This is true. It teaches bad practices, it's community is shit, your learning from the worst rather then the best.

too old meme my friend, too old meme

You're not just learning wrong. The more you use Blender, the worse you get. It's negative learning.

>tfw to intelligent for maya

>it's the tool's fault!
ahahah

Okay bitch. I'll prove it. Name something that could be modelled in an hour and I'll do it right now.
In either Max or Maya and I'll post results.

>store.steampowered.com/app/615610/orbt_xl/
Didnt user post a demo to a nearly identical game last summer?

And for all the fucking idiots shitposting about blender :
>blender is free
>maya isn't
>3ds max isn't

Get a fucking clue.

Exactly. Get what you pay for.

A dick with veins hair and folded skin in the scrotum.