Lexus has decided to axe the GS from its line-up

>Lexus Enthusiast, citing a report from Japanese magazine MAG-X, claims that the GS soon get the axe.

>According to the MAG-X article, the reason Lexus put the development of a replacement GS on hold is because of the new LS. Given that the LS has had its engine downsized from a V8 to a V6, there is no longer enough of a difference between the two products to justify building two different cars. Instead, Lexus is hoping to fill the gap left by the GS with the LS.

>In general, GS sales have never been incredibly strong, partially because the front-wheel drive ES is cheaper and satisfies most buyers’ demands for a mid sized luxury sedan from the automaker.

More FWD Lexus. :^)

Lexus shills defend this.

Other urls found in this thread:

autonews.com/article/20110822/OEM03/308229964/how-lexus-execs-rescued-gs
youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI&t=7m20s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>LS has had its engine downsized from a V8 to a V6

pathetic

Only a rumor.

>muh rumor

>According to the automotive sales tracking website GoodCarBadCar.net, Lexus GS sales were down 61 percent in 2016, with fewer than 15,000 units sold. Yet the ES managed to find almost 60,000 customers in the same year despite seeing a 21 percent drop in sales compared to 2015.

>Perhaps the reason why the GS never really caught on is because Toyota corporate wanted to cancel the car after the second generation, but kept it because of pressure from Lexus executives. It seems that Toyota didn’t really put much effort into advancing the GS into something that could rival the technology and driving experience similar to the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5 series, and Audi A6.

>It’s not looking good for the future of the GS, and while its demise is still a rumor at this stage, given the market conditions, the fact that we may not see a new model after 2018 isn’t terribly far fetched.

>CEO of Toyota really want to scrap GS badly...

autonews.com/article/20110822/OEM03/308229964/how-lexus-execs-rescued-gs

>driving experience can't rival ze Germans

"muh rumors"

and what about its sales?

Really poor.

>implying anyone can afford a Lexus in Lithuania
>implying anyone gives a single fuck about a countrylet like Lithuania

Yeah well Lexus made a mistake when they threw the GS and ES on the same frame. I had always thought the ES was a fancy Camry and the GS was a fancy Avalon, and the LS was the real luxury car. The last iteration of GS shared the crappy fancy Camry backbone with the ES, but with different drive wheels. Lame.

The ES and GS aren't the same chassis. I don't think they've ever been. The ES was mostly Camry underneath, but now mostly Avalon, and the GS was the JDM Toyota Aristo before Lexus went global after 2007 and became its own thing.

I could have some of that wrong, not gonna lie.

It absolutely makes sense for Lexus to consider chopping off the GS due to poor sales, but then they'd have to take the ES upmarket, which might be more trouble than it's worth.

Where Lexus went wrong was when they released the current one. They should have turned the GS into their "four door coupe" meme as soon as the ES got bigger on the Avalon chassis. A full tour de force of style in a GS four door coupe with low production would probably have inspired new interest in the model. They were already halfway there with how coupe-like the rooflne was on the third-gen GS.

I tried rediscovering where I read that about the shared chassis and I thought it was from wikipedia. It isn't there now. I'm resorting to the fact that I dreamed it up in a nightmare (I own an 06 gs300)

I own a 2013 GS and I absolutely love the damn thing. How is it that Toyota could be so dumb as to get rid of one of their best cars?
And a fucking V6 on the LS? Disgusting.

It's a logical conclusion, seeing as how messy Lexus has always let their sedan line-up be.

Truthfully the ES should have been killed when the IS debuted, but they couldn't do that considering how popular the ES became in the American market. People like it when Lexus does comfy, because Lexus is masterful at it, even in a fat FWD entry-level (now mid size) sedan.

To be fair, it will be a 500hp twin turbo V6

The IS is too small. The ES has a ton of room inside. It's an Avalon.

I think if I read between the lines here, the next gen IS will likely grow more pig fat to fill the gap.

And it'll be heavy as fuck.

The only lightweight thing Lexus ever made was the LFA with its carbon fiber tub.

Honestly I'm a bit co cerned about the longevity of the TTV6 in a car like that. I'm weary of turbo longevity period, but hopefully Lexus has done their homework.

If anything the GS will not be permanently gone. Those spy shots of the new Lexus is probably the next gen ES and an ES Fsport. Lexus may put the GS on hold and in the mean time let every one enjoy an Fsport ES for now. The ES is bigger than GS but not as big as an LS and fills a seperate market. Lexus would never completely abandon the mid size luxury/sport sedan market.

>Lexus would never completely abandon the mid size luxury/sport sedan market.

The CEO of Toyota doesn't give a fuck about what you think. He wants to scrap GS period.

Is this the ugly faggot responsible for how ugly toyota/lexus designs are?

Maybe... He has been the CEO since 2009, but it is more like family business. His father is the former CEO of Toyota. The current CEO clearly saw Lexus for what it really was, so they set a new daring path for ugly designs and outdated powertrains to out-Acura, Acura.

to be honest I don't even understand why lexus are RWD when they're just suppose to be plush commuters

The ES makes perfect sense, I'd daily drive the crap out of one.

Tell those anti-FWD shills

they don't complain about mini vans being fwd, why should they complain about luxury boats being fwd?

it makes complete sense for lexus to be fwd, you get more interior room and they can spend the money they save on using a fwd drivetrain on making the ride or interior better.

I agree. Those delusional guys believe that the luxury car shouldn't have FWD.

True luxury isn't fwd. The ES isn't the pinnacle of a luxury sedan. The LS is. And it's rwd.

At least now Acura will have a brand to compete against :/

explain how rwd helps to make a vehicle more luxurious

Torque steer isn't luxurious, makes the car feel cheap.

Can be fixed with AWD you pleb.

just look at what they did with the ctr, virtually no torque steer with 300 hp

You didn't say how can fwd problems be cured, you asked how rwd can make a car luxurious, which it can by reducing torque steer, you fucking pleb.

you guys talk about "muh camry with leather seats" as if it were a bad thing

Many luxury cars have much more than that these days, I really don't know what kind of specialty suspension setup it uses to eliminate it or what it would cost though.

he's just some random user, I'm saying torque steer can be fixed with front suspension work like in the civic type r

Not without making the ride unduly harsh mind you, not very luxurious.

women don't drive fast enough for torque steer to matter.

Not my point and don't try and shift the goalposts on me. Literally tons of luxury car buyers are men (of course they fucking are) and it has nothing to do with it. Torque steer isn't luxurious. That's the entire argument.

what? the new civic type r is very compliant. you must be thinking of the previous generation, which didn't even have the torque steer fix

Don't think so buddy

>muh interior room

Care to explain how engineers in 19-fucking-38 were able to have an RWD car without a driveshaft hump, when modern FWD cars do have a hump despite not having a driveshaft?

youtube.com/watch?v=yYAw79386WI&t=7m20s

Sure maybe compliant for a sports car (if you can even call it that) but harsh AF compared to an actual luxury car and changing it would start to induce torque steer. Plus, the civic type r is literally the only car to do this now and it only has 300hp. I would need to see more than one example

if true, then I honestly don't know why some fwd cars have a hump. Maybe because that chassis is also used for an awd version?

More than likely yes, or just poor packaging, never assume the manufacturer is doing the very best that they can with what they have, cars aren't made like that anymore.

from what I've read, they don't solve the torque steer by having harsher springs or dampers so I don't see how their torque steer solution makes the ride harsher

Some people would argue exhaust, in that case then the same Chevy also had an exhaust system. Granted, they were more or less just straight pipes with no cats or resonators, but even if that were the case, they are usually placed towards the middle or front of the car, where interior room is generally not a concern, so if the same sedan needed them, the car's frame wouldn't need to be changed that drastically, if at all.

Well what did you read haha because it's totally related if not the sole cause

It's the fancy dual and quad exhaust systems that are on every car now.

Wow what a tremendous video, easy to understand and I really enjoyed watching it.

>why does the driveshaft tunnel still exist.

its actually a fairly major point of stability and rigidity within the chassis. The car youre looking at is either high enough off the ground the hump is not 'needed' for that. or interior has something under the footwells that raises it up.

>Wider wheels and a clever steering knuckle design allowed the engineers to move the steering axis closer to the vertical centerline of the wheels, key to eliminating the asymmetrical design usually found in front-drive cars.

this

All of Lexus' sedans sell like crap
SUVs represent the volume of their US sales

Fact: The most luxo luxomobilios have always been fwd. (disregarding Vagshit)

Mercedes used to put a 2.2 I4 diesel in an S-class.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

>muh torque steer

Care to explain how engineers in 19-fucking-34 were able to have a FWD car without torque steer, when modern AWD cars can’t even turn?

>disregarding Vagshit

ohh poor you frogfag... your "luxomobilios" outclassed and outsold by a mere Audi A6

Balance, you dense retard. Fwd FEELS like utter garbage. It's intrinsically imbalanced. And no, you don't race lexus' but even in daily driving , you notice that momentum . That's why an s class or any high end luxury car will NEVER be fwd

Do you know that most high-end lexus car riding on the platform that designed for FWD, RWD, and AWD? Yes, that Japanese Aston Martin forced meme, LC uses the platform of Toyota Prius.

It is same thing with VAG's platforms.

your dumb fucking memes and shit

they didn't make nearly as much torque and power as they do now

All it means is that there's a similar layout underpinning the architecture to their cars, it does not mean that the lc is a Prius with a bodykit. And still, they end up not choosing fwd for a reason.

yeah, Bentley could have a FWD car if they want.

Anyway, Audi is just exploiting the dumb consumers not telling the difference between FWD and RWD with selling their FWD cars. However, the high-end ones are exclusive to use AWD.

The rumor about next gen A6 will use the Porsche's platform, that is exclusive for RWD and AWD. We will see...

>Jeremy Clarkson
the same faggot who claimed the Alfa 4C is better than the Corvette in every single way? I can't take this guy seriously.

Bmw does it too. It's for the badge whores who want a 30k "luxury" car.
Vag does offer fwd for their base models, however in the US in only the a3 (which is the only car in their current lineup which actually is a VW with a bodykit) and the a4. (The a4 hasn't been a passat in a couple generations)

He got paid for shilling it. He did for LFA too.

>a3 (which is the only car in their current lineup which actually is a VW with a bodykit)

yeah it is MQB. It is like saying LS is a Toyota with a body-kit.

Well the a3 and the TT are literally a golf/beetle. The platform thing that's across the other models simply implies that the architecture and layout are similar albeit not necessarily the same actual platform like what a golf is to an a3

look up TNGA

The LS and LC are literally a Prius/Corolla/Camry.

I used to think the same about audis.

From wiki,
MQB is not a platform as such, but, rather, a system for introducing rationality to different platforms that have transverse engines, regardless of model, vehicle size or brand. Thus MQB uses a core "matrix" of components across a wide variety of platforms — for example, sharing a common engine-mounting core for all drivetrains (e.g., gasoline, diesel, natural gas, hybrid and purely electric). As well as reducing weight, the concept allows different models to be manufactured at the same plant, further saving cost.[4][5]

The toyota thing is the same.

The IS is way too small to replace the ES, I drive an IS and the back seat is basically decorative, my wife has an ES and it has a useful and comfortable back seat

I'd rather have a 4C with a beautiful design and a soulful engine than some Ameriburger "sportscar" that can't turn.

Of course the 4C is better than the Corvette