Why do people tend to lean toward saying that Automatic is more common in the US compared to Manuals because Americans...

Why do people tend to lean toward saying that Automatic is more common in the US compared to Manuals because Americans were able to afford the price automatics came with?

Clearly, it's because of cities like New York and Chicago with stop-start traffic that caused manuals to die out over here.

You have to realize, stop-start traffic in a place like New York City is probably horrible on a clutch, and especially with newer drivers who don't put their car in neutral while it's at a stop.

It's also likely detrimental on the driver, maybe it's just a hassle to them, who knows.

All I know is, it's nice to live in a place with a lot of long roads that a manual does fine on.

People put their car in neutral at a stop? I keep it in first with the clutch engaged. That's how everyone learns it here.

disengaged I mean

>because Americans were able to afford the price automatics came with
I've never heard this.
I've just assumed automatics became popular because of their ease of use, and the simple truth that people are fucking lazy at heart.
Why spend your attention just driving when you can talk on the phone and/or jam food in your mouth at the same time?

Automatics became cheaper because more lazy people bought them.

The majority of people don't care about muh feelz or muh control, they just want to get from a to be with as little involvement as possible.

>Why do people tend to lean toward saying that Automatic is more common in the US compared to Manuals because Americans were able to afford the price automatics came with?
Cause yor a fucking retard...right? Your Mom, Dad...all your friends called you a retard...
Auto IS #1 in NA...and why not

I have a manual because I'm lazy. Too lazy to want a giant automatic transmission

>USA is the only place on earth with traffic

ok man

You're killing your throwout bearing.

Trowing it into neutral at red lights is just easier.

>muh bearings
what are you, poor?

If you live in a place like SoCal where the morning commute is shuffle shuffle shuffle, that's where an auto wins out big time. Manuals get tedious the 5th time you have to deal with that kind of traffic, much more than an auto, where all you have to do is just keep your foot on the brake.

If you live in a rural area where traffic isn't a problem, a manual is more fun.

Newsflash - driving your car wears it out!

More at nine.

Not to mention, for a while manual transmissions and no power steering were common, so parallel parking in cities was a real talent.

>burning your clutch

just put your foot on the brake in neutral - p much same as an automatic.

>Clearly, it's because of cities like New York and Chicago with stop-start traffic that caused manuals to die out over here.
>You have to realize, stop-start traffic in a place like New York City is probably horrible on a clutch, and especially with newer drivers who don't put their car in neutral while it's at a stop.

Don't most sub-humans in that city take the bus anyway?

I've heard tales of majority of people have ID's but not licenses kek

im from texas, my friend went to NY for work and he said one of the most disorienting thing was how reliant everyone in is on public transport and taxis

Ok? but why needlessly wear it prematurely when you can just sit in neutral?

who gives a shit

>Why do people tend to lean toward saying that Automatic is more common in the US compared to Manuals because Americans were able to afford the price automatics came with?
because automatic is easier and as cheap as manual today

The cheapest is the most sold. In Europe, manual cars are cheaper but more sold than automatic cars.

Automatics are better for drag racing, off-roading, and towing.

Anything else, you can use a manual just as well as an automatic.

It doesn't help that the evaluation process to get a manual license is pretty complicated in the US. I didn't take manual in college and didn't serve in the military, so I had to get a doctor's note for the exam.

Easier to just buy an automatic. No waiting period either.

>waiting period
Pretty sure it was for your autism and not a transmission type.

Manual license? No such thing in the us, what are talking about.

>You're killing your throwout bearing.
all of europe would like to disagree with you

We in France learn to put the gearshift to neutral when waiting at a stop or a traffic light.

You can't burn your clutch when it's fully disengaged dummy

I don't think it will hurt the bearing either because you are still engaging/disengaging the same number of times. Holding it in between doesn't wear the bearing because it's not moving.

it's only a UK thing when taking the driving test "for safety reasons", but everyone reverts to putting in neutral after getting the license

Clutch will go long before TOB, and they're both replaced at the same time.

I agree though. Sitting in neutral is much less exhausting over time.

>Holding it in between doesn't wear the bearing because it's not moving.

Do you have any idea how a throwout bearing works?

>Clutch will go long before TOB, and they're both replaced at the same time.
Only in theory. In reality your TOB can go long before the clutch. Read accounts of guys using cheap bearings and some of them start squealing after 1K miles.

>not putting your automatic on P in stop and go traffic

This is one of those things that people will disagree on until the end of time. Yes, holding down the clutch at stops objectively wears out the throwout bearing faster, because with a bearing more use equals more wear, you can't argue that. However, in most cases the clutch wears out before the bearing anyways so it's a moot point and it comes down to personal preference.

you sound like a poor guy. Rich people avoid spending money unnecessarily.

i was taught that putting it in neutral means you're fucked if someone rear ends you pushing you into an intersection where you die a fiery death

Uh, have your foot on the brake to not freak out normalfags?

or just leave it in gear

Then you wear your throwout bearing and strain your leg more.

ok

when you come to a stop in a manual in front of red lights we are always taught to keep it in the first and hold foot on the clutch
when green slowly release clutch and give gas, than push clutch, go to the second, give gas , push clutch, go the to third, etc

never release your clutch when in the 1st, it will stall your car.

only put the car in neutral if you want to keep it on while going outside of the car of if your coming to a full stop and you've reached destination.

*never release too quickly

Or put it in neutral if you're sitting at a stop light for 45 seconds, or a train is crossing and you have to wait 5 minutes, or there's construction and you're waiting for sign-boy to give you the go-ahead for 10 minutes.

Leaving the clutch depressed like that, all the time, wears out your pressure plate a lot faster. It affects the spring rate and ultimately your ability to shift faster and more precisely, because the clutch doesn't engage/disengage as quickly or as hard.

Your advice sounds good for little eurocuck vehicles with 1.0L diesel engines, but not for a nice car that you want to maintain/preserve.

Handbrake you spaz

Keep it in first unless you have to wait for a longer period of time.
If you're waiting for a red light (and there's nothing that'll make it stay red for ages like a train), only put it in neutral if you're not the first car in line. If you know the timing of the traffic lights you can put it in neutral.
Basically it comes down to put it in neutral if you know you're gonna be standing still but don't do it too much or you're gonna bother people, for example by taking longer to accelerate at a traffic light.

so watch the lights and when it's about to turn green, pop it back into 1st and have the clutch depressed

you don't need to keep it sitting in first with your foot on the clutch, that just wears the clutch parts faster you silly eurofag

Yeah, because every traffic lights indicates clearly that it's gonna go green soon.
Except that's not the case you fucking retard, those are rare around here, so you sit in first to not be an asshole.
Leave your redneck town once in a while and you'll see not the entire world is like it.

>so you sit in first to not be an asshole
Why, because of the extra half second it takes to put it in gear?
How fucking impatient are people where you live?

butthurt europoor babby detected

watch the opposing lights, or the crosswalk, and it'll tell you when your light is going green

holy shit how can anyone be this gay and new to driving

>calls people gay
>uses leddit formatting
Summer really is here.

>leddit formatting

wew lad, pretty weak

gonna have to step up nigga