Are you ready for Mazda's sparkless ignition engine?

Electric cars are just displaced emissions, this is truly green engineering. 67 MPG without the damage caused by digging up lithium.

motoring.com.au/revolutionary-2018-mazda3-engine-design-details-soon-108315/

Combine this with Freevalve and electric turbocharging and you have over 60% thermal efficiency.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EfUZofkc0Mw
youtu.be/KjowgEJjNyA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And these engines can easily be tuned to take a variety of fuels......

Wonder if this is why they've been so secretive about future rotaries?

Link ain't working, but I have read a bit on this earlier, and I am really interested to see how this is going to work out in real situations. Had it come 5 years earlier there is a good chance we'd be looking at the future of auto-engineering quite differently

AFAIK its been around for awhile, some F1 teams using the tech for the last few years, it just still a few kinks in working it out as evident with the failure of Honda's engines during this season.

>Combine this with Freevalve and electric turbocharging and you have over 60% thermal efficiency.
the future is getting fucking weird

This!

What's an electric turbocharger?

>Mazda makes most efficient piston engine
>Mazda makes hydrogen rotary with no emissions
>Mazda saves internal combustion, but only enthusiasts care
>Mazda gives up making self-driving transport for normies and makes driver cars for hobbyists

You can't recycle away increased demand.

A turbo with a boss electric motor attached. 48 volt architecture will help facilitate. They are really good for boost at low RPM and transient response situations. Couple it with a regular turbo sized for good top end and you have naturally aspirated throttle response with turbo motor size and efficiency.

electric cars get over 100 mpge. ice btfo

Still unsure how this works, I'll have to look into it further. I had always thought that having a piston that could remain at ignition temperature would merely burn the fuel upon touching it, making spark plugs obsolete. I'm aware that running temp that high would absolutely destroy longevity and likely warp the components but a guy can dream

You're joking right? Where do electric cars get the electricity from? Your moms queefs hooked up to a turbine? Until dirt cheap and super efficient solar is real, electric cars are displaced emissions.

Prove this claim. Its a lie. Seriously.

>Coal still produces the majority of electric power in the US and abroad. Followed by natural Gas.
>You'd have to switch the system over to almost all renewables to produce little to no emissions.
>Nuclear would be an easier option to switch to but the same retards who think Electrics are somehow "better" for the environment are the same retards vehemently against nuclear power.

still waiting for my electric 3k civic

Most electricity in the u.s is extremely efficient.
>coal is less than 1/3 of energy produced in the u.s
>somehow the majority
>durrrrrrRERRRR - you
lol

So a fucking diesel? But with different fuel? Like... what people have been doing for a while now...

Can't delete stupidity away that quickly jackass.

>US AND Abroad
>hurr I can't into reading

Yes, electric cars are more efficient than gas if you live in the states. glad we're on the same page.

lol keep having your autistic bitchfit

Diesels use compression to generate heat, gasoline uses a spark to generate heat.

HCCI uses the cylinder lining itself to generate the heat.

Yes becuase only the US produces any respectable amount of emissions, and the other countries are producing 0, so we only need to worry about the US.

>>US AND Abroad
>implying anyone else matters

Ban evading again Alphonse?

>American education
>hurrr durrerhrgrjss
lol

Are you fucking retarded???

I think it's a little more complicated, but it involves a different injection scheme and likely a specific shape to get the whole thing to detonate at the same time. Also with gasoline you have to keep the the explosion limited to a low order detonation (heaving, slow explosion) vs a high order detonation (super sonic, knock) to keep from destroying the engine.

Lithium mining itself isn't a big impact on the environment.

It's all mining and all material importing. New construction in itself literally destroys the planet. Toxic metals brought to the surface, smog pouring out of diesel ships, oils from oil sands made into all those plastics cars are full of...

If you want to be green you forge an efficient engine from recycled metals and put it in an old rolling shell

You can legislate it away.

>government: you don't need to buy a new car every two years. if you do without evidence that your previous car was totaled or cost more to repair than it was worth, that will be taxed massively.

>Implying I deleted it

49% efficient electricity generation MINUS transmission loss
>8-15%
MINUS charging/dischsrge loss
>10-20%
MINUS electric motor loss
>2-10%

At best electric is as good as ICE. At worst electric is BTFO

>Likes the two absolute worst girls from love live
>Is a retard

Checks out.

If you cared about efficiency you wouldn't be buying new production for the sake of "muh luxury" and "muh status"

EV fags are not environmentalists. They are virtue signalers and compromising pseudo-ints who suck corporate cock for a living.

>oh yes but we could have this slightly less shit future without hurting the capitalist process and economic freedumbs

Transmission losses are huge and arent going down anytime soon. Meanwhile our transmission and distribution infrastructure is going to have to be upgraded at a immense cost thats going to go down to the consumer. It costs over half a million dollar to re conductor half a mile of 1/0 ACSR I cant imagine it getting worse upgrading 795 AAC.

Good thing for me tho is I get to keep getting stupid fat ass paycheck while wagecucks have to pay for it.

hmmm if only there were some sort of material that stored massive amounts of energy but could be transported without losing any of that energy

>Morocco
Wake me up when this displaces even 1% of the world electricity. Plus nighttime storage and baseload smoothing.

>Total energy used by cars in 2011: 3882TWh

>Average energy striking one acre of land in habital zones of earth: 6KWh/acre

Assuming 100% conversion efficiency, you'd need 6.482E11 acres to meet that need. Also remember this only works for about 12 hours a day and will NOT work at 100% conversion efficiency, or 100% storage efficiency. It is also expensive and harmful to the environment for both photovoltaic cells (rare earth mining) and mirror collector plants (chromium and nickel mining for mirrors)

Solar is not the solution.

what does morocco has to do with anything? do you belive morocco is the only country with solar thermal plants?????

do want

Are you trolling? Mining has huge impacts.

Thats not going to come anytime soon.
Pic related is what Tesla uses right now as a energy storage device. It takes 400 of these things to store 20MW and the whole system can discharge 80MWH. 80MWH will power 15,000 houses for 4 hours. Battery tech is nowhere near the level it would be viable to charge batteries at power plants and discharge them in city substations.

>EVs go mainstream
>the average first world power grid during peak charging hours when

electric vehicles are toys for the a rich minority. they are not our future.

in the future, the only electric anything you'll be taking will be the electric bus/train that the city already accounted for in its needs. maybe even a small self-driving electric taxi. your personal transport will most likely be a car or motorcycle more or less like any available today, maybe with self driving luxury features or a very weak LPG/electric hybdrid powerplant. only there will be fewer on the road and fewer people with personal transports because tax incentives, insurance rates, economic hardship, and better urban planning will make taking increasingly advanced public transit increasingly attractive, and milennials are already on board with the idea

>dude driving is a chore lmao can i just take uber but without the chad dudebro in front?

Because Morocco can do gay mega projects like this while the rest of the country is shit. How much of the Moroccan energy is generated with this?

T. U.S. has a plant similar to this.

Oh and I forgot about passive battery drain. Not to mention thermal losses in states like florida where the sun can heat up the inside of cars past the boiling point of water.
That Jacobs ladder is from a defective switch gear at a substation. Just a observation.

But your assumptions are based on meeting the 3882TWh figure. Not all vehicles need the insane power they produce.

>without losing any of that energy
There is always loosing some of that energy. Basic universal law of thermodynamics.

This

Lithium mining is the least impactful of all the forms of mining that underly automobile manufacturing. The meme that it's what makes teslas horrible for the environment must be a false flag planted by tesla shills to discredit their oppositon because it's fucking retarded. We just let brine evaporate on the ground and get a bunch of inert salt that could very well go back into the infertiel soils from which it came.

Electric cars are really hungry for things that mostly come from destructive strip mining like copper (really fucking awful for the environment. like your AC motors now?), iron, aluminum, crude oil.

>this only works for about 12 hours a day
no it doesn't

and that is relevant how? if morocco can have a solar thermal plant, surely the us fucking can have many fo them

Even if you half the target number it's still astronomically huge, and that was also giving the solar plants 100% conversion efficiency. Modern ones, the screaming bleeding edge ones are lucky to convert 35% of that 6KWh/acre into electricity. The math is very damning.

HCCI camless electrically supercharged V8's that makes 800HP and gets 50MPG when? I want to still be driving a Mustang after Europe outlaws them.

I'm,worried about the watts your brain uses. If you were hooked up to a multimeter it would beep. Indicating a short.

HCCI camless electrically supercharged I-3s that make 300hp and get 60mpg

I want to still be riding a busa after europe makes the traditional ICE ones cucked as fuck without $1000 in trackdaybro aftermarket

*gets his info from snopes.

Solar as a means of primary power is stupid. First it only works when the sun is out. Second, The thermal efficiency that solar panels produce when they are over 130F is horrible. In states like florida and Texas where its easier just to plant mirrors in a array you have the issue of efficiency of land use. However as supplementary power it would work fine.

I suppose you're converting cosmic background radiation into energy at night instead of the sun's power?

Common factual knowledge is snopes exclusive because it appears on snopes who knew thanks /pol/

PS: you forgot to write it as (((snopes)))

You didn't answer what % of Moroccan electricity is generated by this.
>12 hours a day
Less than that once cloudy days are factored in and maintenance days. Mirror cleaning and such.

I don't care about the environment. I'm just refuting these morons arguments.
This. Natural gas and nuclear power with renewable energy assistance is the way to go

>less than 12 hours a day

nope

youtube.com/watch?v=EfUZofkc0Mw

I'll take /pol/ as a compliment.

Snoops couple. For your enjoyment.

>uses corporate advertising propaganda to prove point.

Do you used to buy penis enlargement creams? Before the surgery that is.

>physics are wrong because it's the manufacturer the one saying it

lol

>doesn't address the use of land efficiency vs natural gas plants
>doesn't address startup and maintenance costs vs other forms of power

youtu.be/KjowgEJjNyA

But they said it was awesome.

You're still collecting energy for half the day and then parceling it out over the evening. You're not collecting new energy over the evening, you're just saving three of your six KWh/acre for later. That means you have to double the size of the plant in order to get the same power a plant half its size would produce during daylight hours alone just to keep up that production at night. Given, peak hours aren't at night most of the time so you can get away with less output at night but you're still losing a shit load of your collected energy during storage.

>the joys of Direct Injection
Don't those Skyactiv engines use a modified Atkinson cycle too? That's a cool ass theory aside from the fact that it makes hp/l look retarded. But it's another thing that was only possible with direct injection and VVT.

Also that article talks more about the car models than the actual technology.

HCCI is a meme. while it isn't exactly polishing the turd like with diesel engines, it's a piece of shit vaporware tech that i'm sick of hearing about
> if only there were some sort of material that stored massive amounts of energy
like methane?

>mfw Mazda will keep cars cool and not ugly overhyped pieced of shit with a huge battery

Future might not be bad boys

>digging up lithium
now I hate electric cars as much as the next guy but surely you realize that you extract lithium through evaporating mineral water right

>mfw the NE Miat has a HCCI engine that makes 70mpg with an electric KERS system for boosto

>then the electric self-driving car lobby works up a way to ban it (muh environment, muh safety)

This is the obvious future boys, GG.

they were being facetious, talking about gasoline

Well as efficient as turbos can be for the average driver.

Will deff help with emissions.

Wonder how they will handle the heat expansion while maintaining high compression, air cooled motorcycles have issues with blowby under high compression.

It just occured to me that an electric supercharger (assuming centrifugal) and electric turbocharger are the exact same thing.

>evaporating mineral water is as cost effective as mining it from the earth.

Wew.

If 95% of cars are electric self-driving taxis, and 95% industry is fusion/solar/hydro/wind powered, and engines are >50% efficient, the impact of ICE cars on the environment is effectively zero (literally zero if hydrogen fuel becomes common). No reason to ban a hobby like driving outside of dense urban areas.

>hydrogen rotary
>wankel engine, compared to piston engine, is heavily flawed and inefficient
>however, due to how the rotary works, this makes it ideal for hydrogen
>wankel engines are both the single most "cleanest" and "dirtiest" combustion engines

I think they use leftover exhaust gasses.

They will still do it anyways. I'm a gun enthusiast living in California. The government will ignore reason and they find the most ridiculous reasons that will make you rip your hair out. Trust me.

>Unironically linking Wanker Engines
>Implying Ryosuke wouldn't LS Swap his FC

>sparkless ignition engine

So... Mazda just invented Diesel engines?

I'm sure he means supercharger.

Zero-emissions 3.2L quadrotor that revs to 12000RPM when?

basically, it's the same idea of a diesel, but the air fuel mixture is distributed very evenly and compressed exactly so the mixture ignites all at once rather than in one spot.

Hopefully never

Im pretty sure they would be weak as fuck and make almost no torque

>rotary Le Mans victories: 1
>GM LS engine Le Mans victories: 0

I read about HCCI in Sport Compact Car and that stopped printing in early '09.

I'm glad Mazda put research into it.

t. pushrodcuck

sperg more

I fucking hate pushrodcucks

stop projecting and stay BTFO

I hate ricers, stop projecting and stay btfo

sperg more

I am a ford guy you autist

kill yourself

>kill yourself

Sperg more

Couple this with Freevalve and Direct Drive for the ultimate mememobile.

Tell me more about Koenigsegg Direct Drive

Stop using gears.

FUKKEN KEKT