So when I was 16, I got my learners permit. In that class, I had to learn on an automatic. It was pretty easy...

So when I was 16, I got my learners permit. In that class, I had to learn on an automatic. It was pretty easy, didn't have much issue with that portion.

The only way my parents would agree to pay for the course at the time was that once I get my permit, I had to learn to drive full in a manual car. So I did learn, and it was difficult if you've never driven anything where you had to shift gears manually but I finally got the grasp of it. I learned on a dinky Saturn Ion. Pos but it was durable and didnt break. Fast forward to when I was 18, I finally got my drivers license in that same car. I failed 2 times before I got it (first time was because I parallel parked and hit the curb, second time was because I missed a stop sign that was partially hidden by a bush). The guy who passed me was impressed that I was taking the course with a manual, which I guess is because auto's are way more common and easy to drive. Well, I saved up about $1000 for my first car. I looked around for a while, couldn't find much but I didn't have much choice. Was starting college in a few months and needed something. I bought an auto 92 Chevy Lumina for my first car and haven't driven a manual transmission since. Fast forward about 7 years and I've only driven auto's since, but I picked up a car that has a 6 speed now. I... missed it. I actually missed the feeling of having THAT MUCH control over your car, the feeling of how you power you can push out of each gear, and how much fun is actually is to drive again.

>continue in next post

>continued

People often complain that "hurr, I dont wanna shift in bumper to bumper traffic" which I can understand a bit, but to me it doesn't outweigh all the positives of a manual transmission. They're fun to drive, turn any daily economy car into something you can fully enjoy, and really brings out the life of a car. I dont think I'll ever go back to an automatic for anything more than a work truck. For any people who are on the fence about actually learning, or cant decide whether they like an auto or manual more, ask yourself; How can you fully enjoy your car if you can't get the most out of it that you really can? Both power wise and through spirit.

Nice dubs tho

Having more fine-grained control isn't a positive for people who just want to get from point a to point b.

I don't care about the bumper to bumper traffic but in a manual I definitely see it as a problem when you're going backwards uphill. I couldn't imagine parallel parking uphill in reverse with a manual. Way too stressful.

Really? Since I've owned my car (about 4 months now) I've done it a few times now and I've had absolutely no issues. Might be me tho.

Theoretically I know how to do it and I don't have any trouble starting from hills with just the clutch but going backwards on a steep hill it just something I never really had to do. Keep in mind that I daily a manual car.

And I am not talking about a slight incline, I am talking about something like a 10% rise. I have gone uphill backwards one time on a ramp into my building's underground parking because I had to reach the lock for the door. You need to hold the clutch at the bite point and give it plenty of gas.

it's stressful on my clutch

I hate niggas that say "hurrrrr why are you complaining about driving MT in heavy traffic"

It's not the work it's the stress of the clutch that worries me.

That's why I save the manuals for my weekend toys and not commuting to work.

Worrying over a hunk of metal?

It depends on the car.

My 4 cylinder with a short 1st gear is a cunt. It shakes if you try and bog it, and it will only go 10mph in 1st unless you really rev it
My v8 is smooth at much lower rpm and handles stop&go speeds in 1st gear easily. Much better.

This post makes me wish that they never invented manual transmissions.

Why do people act elitist about a driving technique that can be taught by a couple of YouTube videos?

I've literally learned manual by playing Forza Motorsport.

I think it takes a lot of work to get good with a manual transmission. It's one thing to know how to operate a manual car but it's a whole other to get all the subtle details down too. It took me months before my shifts started to get smoother and I still get horrible crunchy shifts quite often. And it's not really a matter of choice. If you're going to be driving manual, you HAVE to get good or else you will fuck up every car you own and you're going to pay a huge premium in maintenance fees because of all the unnecessary clutch jobs you'll be doing over the years.

Now, I am not one of the elitists. Like I said, I am actually pretty shit at driving stick but I will continue to do it. I actually feel bad a lot of the time when I hear people speak about driving manual because I know I haven't mastered the skill yet. But what I am saying is that they kind of have a good reason to be elitist about it because it isn't exactly that easy. It's simple to get the hang of it but it's hard to master.

so what are the objective advantages of a manual transmission?
remember: shit like "make the car fun to drive" and "really brings the life out of a car" isn't objective

less parasitic drivetrain loss than automatics, and less cooling demands because of it. Also lighter

Push starting a car comes to mind.

You can get more power out of it, which is good for cars with weak engines like most economy cars. Also the additional control you have over your transmission lets you save on fuel, but this advantage is debatable since cars technologies in automatic transmissions have improved.

fair enough
also explains why everyone in europe drives one

This is actually bullshit for the fuel economy, I get 16/23 no matter what rev range I shift at.

I can't afford to buy manual

I'm in the same position you were , gotta get that automatic 90s hunk just so I can have SOMETHING.

>Veeky Forums is not your personal blog