Is it true that all those delicious Hummers that the army is getting rid off now can't be registered?

Is it true that all those delicious Hummers that the army is getting rid off now can't be registered?

Why would they do that?

Extreme Parking 2: Hummer irl

Why would they care?

you ca get them registered its just a massive pain in the ass that really isnt worth it.

if you melt all that crap, you can make 4 brand new cars

I heard its because they are too wide for roads. Not too sure how true that is though

If it's too wide for American roads, how fucking wide is that thing?

They struggle to maintain 65 unless they're the uparmored with the 6.5 turbo, so why even bother (got a 2 door one to 87 on the freeway once, shit was cash)

You mean upgraded, an uparmored Humvee would be even slower.

The only difference in our uparmored trucks was they had AC

They don't have side impact beams or proper doors.

Neither do Jeeps.

You don't understand until you've been up close to them.

>wanting to buy a used vehucle driven by retarded kids in a combat zone away from proper repair facilities and duct-taped together to the point they would barely be mission capable for use after they broke down for the 3rd time that week
Literally why.

Late models do tho.

You would be surprised how much a turbo helps these dogshit engines when you take off the ton of steel from the rear seat area

Trust me, if they're armored they're turbocharged. If you listen carefully you can hear the whistle but it's quiet because it's a tiny turbo and low boost. Also enjoy ntc, glad I never have to do that horrific waste of time and money ever again

>I heard its because they are too wide for roads. Not too sure how true that is though

It's not. The H1 that was sold commercially is physically identical to the military model.

The military ones supposedly can't registered because the govt doesn't want to get sued over safety issues.

Personally I think the real reason is that the industrial complex has the government by the balls. You can make more money selling new stuff when your old models are scrapped. See Apple.

>army is getting rid of

you mean we're not giving them to the iraqis so they can lose them to militants?

Fucking massive if I had to put it into metric. A hair shy of 3 meters wide

Why would you even want to own one of these things? I hate having to sit in one longer than an hour, let alone take it on a road trip.

You'd be better off getting a regular pickup. Shit is so much more comfortable, and can hold more stuff.

Why would you want one? Just buy a used fucking H1. Real Hummvees are armored, meaning slow as shit, probably can't even go on interstates, and expensive to register, and who the fuck is going to do maintenance with you? Not really to mention the lovely 5mpgs I'm sure they pull.

>The military ones supposedly can't registered because the govt doesn't want to get sued over safety issues.

My buddy bought a military one @ auction early this year for $7500. It is fully registered and road legal here in PA.

>Why would you even want to own one of these things?
for the cool factor duhhhhh

it'd be like the autism car version of having an iphone

I would daily one until I'm broke

So, until the first annual service is due, and you go broke replacing all the fluids, filters, and gaskets?

You have no idea how cheap.as.fuck. parts are for these things. None at all.

You can fix them with a fucking rock.

From a government auction? The ones I've seen had you sign a release form that it was for offroad use only.

>gifting your enemies useless crap

holy hecc lmao
that's good. for this post alone, i hope you have a good week user

>cheap
>new transfer case: $1,100

Yes, from a government auction.

How in the fuck are you going to actually BREAK a goddamn transfer case? Are you that hamfisted and retarded? Most of these things up for auction have less driven miles than what you'd find on any dealers lot.
Seriously? breaking a transfer case? No.

Now replacing a water pump? That you'll likely end up doing. Part is $40. You'll tear most of the front end apart to get to it.

Seriously. Designed to be abused and fixed by monkeys with rocks.

>what is a junkyard

do the military ones have a VIN?

you heard wrong

See those from time to time they only went 55mph

Half of the ones I've driven had a fucked up transfer case that wouldn't go into anything but H. Never got fixed because no one wanted to draft up the memo for the colonel to sign. Got tired of putting it on the 5998.

Americans are so dumb. You can get anything road legal anywhere if you find the right loopholes. Ive seen HMMVs legally registered in Canada even.

There are guys in California with road plated Honda CR500 dirt bikes for example.

They put the transmission in the cockpit for maximum ground clearance.

Dress up as army and the police will leave you alone. They may even give you money for helping them hunting down criminals.

Good way to use the space for the radio rack.

7'1" actually, which is 2,159 mm, whereas a current gen Ford F150 is 2,029 mm wide, so roughly 5 inches wider than your regular truck, but infinitely more useless.

>he doesn't know how to register a supermoto

>unironically advocating for stolen valor

>driving with the doors on

Do you even jeep?

>tfw driving without doors isn't allowed in my cuck nation

>I heard its because they are too wide for roads.
Wrong.

>They don't have side impact beams or proper doors.
Some do, some don't. Either way, that has nothing to do with the legality of getting them registered.

>The military ones supposedly can't registered because the govt doesn't want to get sued over safety issues.
Wrong.

>Personally I think the real reason is that the industrial complex has the government by the balls.
Also wrong.

They're mechanically the same as an H1, but far more plentiful.

They're extremely cheap to maintain. The 6.2/6.5 diesel is unbelievably common in military, light truck, commercial medium duty, vans, SUVs, and marine applications. Filters and gaskets are a few bucks, full set of new OEM injectors can be had for under $400.

>do the military ones have a VIN?
No.

The only thing you need to get one registered is the proper form. Most of them you find at auction do not come with this form. You may be able to find a loop hole to get one registered without it but I wouldn't rely on that unless you personally know someone that's done it before.

not all of them are armored

I wonder if you could import and drive them in the UK?

declare it as "farming equipment" and BAM a 4x4 you can deduct on your taxes

you dont know half the story, dont get one stationed at a military base, especially from a dunecoon place like qatar, they manage to fucking flip those things over

holy shit it looks like a fucking mobile command center, that's awesome

"looks" is the right word. Even my Fiat Stilo has more usable room and cupholders. 1/3 of the image is wasted space.

Why isn't it more like the HMMVV which doesn't have that huge tall box in the middle?

I was thinking mor of a National Guard one.

Looks like the H1 has more air ducts and vents since they are millionaires not conscripts.

So what is this form and how do you get one?

They're megathicc, as in, as wide as a flatbed truck.

an f450 is 96" wide

this hummer is 86"

nbd desu

I never wanted one of those till now.

the center console is raised. the interior you are looking is a maximum luxury version.

>wife sitting 4 feet away

fuck i like this truck already

That's pretty cheap for a new transfer case

>Less driven miles are good

In my country, a car purchased new and driven 30,000 miles already has massively major problems. The roads and conditions are not nice to these vehicles. Now for an Iraqi deployed HMMVW I am pretty sure that they see much rougher stuff than what some civilian jungle negros put their vehicles through

Road conditions only affect the wheels, suspension, and running gears. If the owner was a total fudd, it's possible to damage the engine from dust/water intake.

I guarantee you that in most places, cars crap out early because of neglected maintenance or shitty build quality. Hell, Cuba is famous for keeping 50's quality American cars on the road into the 21st century. Contrast that with the throwaway culture of China, where nobody values old or used items and you can literally buy a new car in China for $16k RMB (or $2500 USD). Nobody gives a shit about maintenance or even treating the car nice and people just abuse them until they break and buy a new one, because they all know that shitty-quality domestic market cars will only last a couple of years anyways.

>you mean we're not giving them to the iraqis so they can **deliberately** lose them to militants?
It's like those suspicious "retreats" various iraqi generals have ordered in the past where lots of gear and supplies were left behind each time.

You've never actually have had to work on one before have you dumdum