When did consumerism replace religion as the opiate of the masses?

When did consumerism replace religion as the opiate of the masses?

Veeky Forums Pass user since July 2015.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays
theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/the-global-cost-of-electronic-waste/502019/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jumped the gun their bud, Nationalism replaced religion, then it was consumerism that replaced nationalism. To answer your question, sometime after WWII.

Around the same time you bought a Veeky Forums pass

When Edward Bernays changed marketing practices of the United States forever.

>buying something that you get for free
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Nationalism is seeing a resurgence though, and not just in western countries either, Russia and China for example are hugely nationalistic

after WW2

>When did consumerism replace religion as the opiate of the masses?
Some speculation on my part: in times of wealth, people find comfort in consumerism, in times of poverty, people find comfort in religion.

Anti-consumerism on the other hand seems to be a thing of the rich or at least the wealthy.

the irony in this post is hilarous

It was actually extremely painful.

For you

Following a massive global recession resulting in people no longer being able to consumer as much.

What is funny is that the guy who said that quote the communist guy was a staunch materialist

Lads, how does bread and games i.e. entertainment and so on and so on chime into this?
Or do we consider bread and games as consumerism as well?

Nationalism is product of butthurt. Russians are butthurt because cold war and Ukr-crisis, therefore they are nationalistic. Chinese are butthurt, because they are seen as inferior to west therefore they are nationalistic. People in west are butthurt because existential crisis and immigration, therefore they are nationalistic.

well Veeky Forums doesn't allow me to post from my country.

Bumping for you

t. leftypol

>Edward Bernays
WINRAR
>The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of.
>Propaganda is the executive arm of the invisible government.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

I just read this, and thought it belonged to this thread:
theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/the-global-cost-of-electronic-waste/502019/

The wasefulness of consumerism is what makes me anti-consumerist, but surely even I sometimes fall for it.

And almost everything turning into a commodity hurts my soul.

Yes. Get people more concerned with the new Gaga album or Xbox or Nike trainers, to realise how badly they're being fucked.

>grocery store
>CONSUMERISM!!!
Oh god, the decadence! People can buy canned peas, toilet paper, and cat food in the same store! They can even choose between one or two brand names!

It is maybe not the best example. But seeing all that soda doesn't personally make me really happy. The only purpose of soda is to get people hooked on its sugar content.

I agree tho, anime is the best example there is.

>he thinks a shop stocked full of goods is a bad thing

The obsessive hatred, bordering on psychosis, against products — i.e. against man-made objects — seems to be the hallmark of the pseudo-intellectual today. Hatred of consumption, a problem which no sane, healthy person has ever had. As if food and clothes, as if eating or dressing were bad. Such is the pseudo-intellectual's craving to appear to be raging at something, that he will rage at life's basic necessitities if need be.

The "consumer society" should have been called the "slave society", since there's nothing wrong with consuming, it is indeed the basis, the prerequisite, of all growth. Marx was at least healthy in focusing on production; Baudrillard's obsession with consumption is neurotic. Why not reduce it to zero and die of thirst in a few days, you fucking nihilistic little prick? Better yet just stop breathing; oxygen too is something that we consume.

Praise Power.

who the fuck are you to judge that what the people embrace and willingly pay money for is shit? Are you not mr liberal populist democracy guy? Are you not mr subjectivity, different folks for different strokes guy? But you are in fact mr hypocrisy guy, which is why you reflexively hate all "Mane Streem" aspects of culture — i.e. all popular culture itself, which is merely democratic culture — merely the cultural manifestation and ultimate result of your very own democratic principles.
But McDonald's is preferable to starving, and the poor individual (i.e. the largely useless individual, from the perspective of society) has the right to determine whether he prefers to put his income into a new cellphone or higher quality food. After all, he's merely going to be cleaning the toilets in the labs in which the scientists and the engineers will be working on the Overman, which is a function that can be fulfilled just as well on McDonald's as on organic wholesome food (and probably even better that way, since they'll have less energy and vitality to expend, and hence bear the drudgery of toilet-cleaning far better. Hell, they may as well do drugs for all we care.) The scientists and engineers, meanwhile, will be eating good food both because they deserve to, since they are more useful to society than the toilet-cleaning subhumans, and because they are smart enough to invest in it; and those who aren't are welcome to make their own choices on the matter, whatever those may be.
"But the subhumans are not well informed about the effects of nutrition!", you say. But when a celebrity rag makes millions and nutrition guides peanuts, you see where the priorities of subhumans lie. It's not a cabal that's keeping the subhumans uninformed — it's the subhumans themselves who are unwilling and unable to benefit from the tremendous decades- and even centuries-long state-backed efforts to educate them.

I'm expecting a lot of facebook tier meme arguments ITT

>consumerism replace religion
>[turning almost everything] into a commodity
There is literally nothing wrong with either of these things.

Capitalism is a system without a utopian goal and you can scold it for that, but its lack of utopian ideals makes it relatively spook free. When everything is a commodity the working classes can better see what is happening, we complain about tax havens nowadays but in the past they weren't even allowed to question where their tithes went.