PCB 6.1.0 Released: angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=120675&postcount=1

>FAQ and What to Play:

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_newbie_traps
github.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for interface screw traps

i feel like i've seen this image 20 times in the last 10 OPs

How many pips of resistance until all of my shit stops catching fire or freezing or melting

72%, 3 pips

crawl? infinity
pcb? you need 3 pips to stop inventory destruction entirely; 2 pips will usually stop it but sometimes let something through
ac/el/fi/co obviously, but also So/Sh/Ca can do inventory destruction and Po matters for toxic waste damage

Crawl gets boring if you obsess over win rates instead of trying to have fun, it may not at first but it happens with everything RNG based when you get competitive with it. Also, what is with people and win streaks? Its obvious that winning the game is RNG based, actually playing the game perfectly is shockingly easy once you get used to it, but nothing about that is actually fun. That is truly degenerate in my mind, if I ever became like that with something I would probably grow to hate it with a burning passion.

xth for no inherent meaning in the universe, so you might as well do what you think is interesting at the time.

Win rates/streaks are meaningless in the context of /rlg/, since they're easy to achieve once you're not-terrible. In the wider Crawl community, they take on a bit more meaning since people actually give a crap about players who greaterplayer or pseudo-greatplayer while they're getting those high winrates/streaks.

Being able to play optimally under various start conditions -- species buffs/penalties, class gear, early game RNG -- is rather impressive. If you limit how different those conditions can be, your gameplay will become increasingly boring.

if god don't real how come blessing gives +5 to hit huh?

The power of belief, user.

Hey, I'm new to Elona+, playing to play it. Any tips?

You don't play Elona, it plays you

marry your pet little girl ASAP so she can cook you breakfast to increase your stats

You now realize why Crawl is getting worse every update

Those cancerous autists are the only "people" the developers cater to, while normal players are forced to deal with their autistic hissfits over bloat and variety

Everyone needs a little magic eventually, but primarily using magic for offense is pretty tedious. Learn every skill, and pokeball a cute pet that you like.

Little girl is the best pet unironically
Get the Traveling skill as soon as possible
Puppy cave can be brutal on the last few floors for a new character so don't be afraid to do extermination quests or find a level 1 dungeon to trawl about
Last floor of a dungeon has a boss monster though so be prepared
Carry around a poison in case you get pregnant from drinking from wells
North of Palmia is the temple to all the Gods, be sure to run over there and pick one when you can make the journey

kill the devs

Even though I'm using both the latest download from the Arcana github and the latest experimental, it won't let me start. It generates a world, but as soon as I finish making a character, it produces an unignorable error and crashes.
What kind of wizardry do you guys weave to make it work?

probably it's bugged and you should compile/play an older version

Learn Gardening, do harvest time quests. They are a little slow but they give valuable seeds and boost a few valuable stats.

When you get first wish, WISH FOR SEVEN LEAGUES. Most important wish in the fucking game right next to Kumironi

Hungry demons (The green guys) and Kobolds (The ugly looking big white guys) will fuck your shit up in melee early on. The general litmus test is that if it kills your pet /run/

Upgrade your weapon to +3 as soon as its affordable. Armor to +3 as well.

when are the retards making qud going to create an acceptable UI

there's already an alternate UI

wrong
wish for a Happy Bed first
you can get placeholder boots of fast from the kobold cave quest
Happy bed will give you big sleep bonuses like fucking crazy

Probably DDA changed something with the json format, so you'll either have to use an older experimental or wait for the arcana mod to update.

and the alternate UI's message log overlaps with the top half of the screen and makes it hard to see

Thank you both for replying. I'll try that

remember when you could cast a spell to brand your weapon

Still had to use a scroll of vorpalize weapon to make it permanent, though.

tell the devs then because they'll probably push something out within a day or two

The only one worth using was the disto one, and only because you could use it to cheese all the panlords. Otherwise, you were far better off doing other things.

the yeek quest boots Dal-i-thalion aren't as fast as seven leagues, and keeping potential up isn't a big deal to start with

They're still decent until you get another wish, and the happy bed will get you loads of dream spells and other effects.

Okay anons, i'm going to show my complete ignorance here but could someone please explain to me how to run nethack 4 in conemu on windows? I've tried it a bit myself, and i've google but i haven't been able to find anything. I'd like to get into nethack more and I hear nethack4 is the way to go but for the love of me I cant figure out how to make this thing work. Assistance would be much appreciated.

Aw shit, looks like its time to skill up an archer.

guys when are they gonna remove resting and chunks from crawl? it's obviously bloat

When they realize how well hellcrawl changes work when you compare it to normal crawl. Hellcrawl is a nonstop fight from early dungeon all the way down, with no pitstops for ID. Few consumables to balance out free ID means less crutches to fall back on, no stair abuse makes tele/blink less useful, and diving becomes a very tactical choice. The only real stops are resting, and energy scumming, but you don't get to rest if you're loud as fuck.

>crawldev
>posts on SA
Goon pozzers have never made a good game.

SA won't accept anything that threatens their ideals of eternal misery and anti-fun.

Forgot pic

why does hell crawl have such an obscene amount of ammunition lying around

colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_newbie_traps

ALSO, I just got a lust for some Elona+. What non-snail race/classes are the hotness, now?

you would think so but the real damage in elona comes from super-heavy weapons or magic brands

Seems like Stealth would be obscenely good in Hellcrawl, as the next fall-back to engagement control with the removal of staircases.

Mutant is still the most fun

no idea what conemu is but DynaHack is arguably better

hellcrawl seems really well suited to the way I play normally so far

>poison magic just doesn't even exist
holy shit this fork is great for Tm hahaha sticks to snakes and spidermode all day long

>A couple months ago I introduced my boyfriend to DCSS
>my boyfriend
DCSS confirmed a gay game for faggots

All ammo mulches 100% of the time.

Just you come and sit on Uncle Yiuf's lap, son - and cease that incessant gibbering, thataboy.

Where do you think we are?

Is ignition spell in crawl not considered too strong?

do you still go capture bells in Elona+

Does infra arcana still get updated? What is the newest version?

>no gay dcss art with the male uniques
boring

github.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/

It gets updated but in its development branch. I'd assume v19 would come out within a couple of months, but I'm no mind reader.

IIRC, the IA dev occasionally stops by here.

How are dungeons generated in crawl/roguelikes in general?

that's an unfortunate falsehood, bed type has no effect on dream quality, just potential gain

Anyone know how to start generating sugar in Cata? Its summer now, and I've got a billion fruit bushes and oil generating plants going, and fruit wine for yeast, but I can't figure out how to get sugar.

randomly

I believe Rogue Basin has some articles which outlines common methods. Not sure if they'll have what you want.

depends what version, they recently (in the past year, like in 1.58 or something) got a nerf - elona+ makes you so powerful that it doesn't really matter what pets you try to get though

well, I did it. I finally beat gnollcrawl

>tfw chei greatly appreciates

hnnn

How much FUN was it?

>tfw realizing I got better internet and can probably play that now
Oh yes nigga.

>3 rune
not impressed

A better question

How can a roguelike be balanced if it's procedurally generated? Checkmate.

>It gets updated but in its development branch. I'd assume v19 would come out within a couple of months, but I'm no mind reader.
Did the dev work on improving the other classes? Right now rogue is kind of OP while others such as ghoul and cultist are kind of underpowered.

magic

Basically, you say "this floor is going to be X by Y spaces". Then you randomly pick some vaults to put in the level -- might be a couple of vaults, might be just one huge one. And then you pick some ways to connect those vaults together: some zig-zags, some big open spaces, some long hallways, etc.

Usually that's it.

now this is pretty comfy

There are several approaches you can take, depending on what you want.

The algorithm for the main dungeon branch of Crawl is a total mess and likely just pasting random features (rooms, corridors, etc.) on the map for several cycles.

now THIS is comfy

I'm really not a fan of spaghetti hallways myself

I don't have a lot of experience/knowledge about Crawl but I think the game would gain a lot if only that part (the first thing everyone sees) was a bit more polished. Is there any reason for it? It's odd considering how detailed and varied the other sub-branches are.

THIS IS NOT COMFY

>decide to go back to the motel guarded by a riot bot to kill it, so that I can explore east in an easier fashion
>find that the motel is on fire
>my spear shocks me whenever i stab it, and it avoids pits naturally
>however, i am immune to its gas and blinds
>make it follow me home, kindly avoids trampling my bushes
>find which crate i've stored a baseball bat it, pick it up and take it outside
>beat it senseless
>isn't even filled with batteries
That was dumb. At least I found more strawberries to plant, and a good source of rocks if I want them. There is forest to the east of the hotel, which means more fruit for me I guess.

it's there for squishdudes to kite things but there are better solutions to that problem like just making them start with more dodging or making basic enemies less deadly to non-tabbers in melee

you can't even kite half the things anyway

not particularly, I'd rather mumo for that "oh god I'm going to die aren't I" feeling

it would be better if every enemy were replaced with gnolls (that is, there was no big elf 3 gnoll vault, and orc wasn't filled with gnolls)

Bit of a weird question but are there any lewd roguelikes?

I already know about Hellmoo.

Maiden snow eve.

I think there is a hentai roguelike out there, but I've forgotten its name.

In PCB when should I quaff new life? I've got a 97/100 life rating as a Hades Demigod. Should I wait until I've gotten a bunch of muts to cure them with it or just slam it down now and try and up my life rating.

Tales of Androgyny, but it's really more of a rogue-lite

at sub 100 i'd just quaff

Torches needed to see well in the dungeon. Yay or nay?

the ever-true light of a silmaril works even better

Other games have it so you're obligated to add it in regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.

Be sure to have a hunger system, too.

Nay.

If it provides some interesting element, sure.

name ONE (3) roguelikes that have an interesting lighting system

you can(not)

>one (3)
What did he mean by this?

Unfortunately the rune grab "trap" does not correct for the existence of skilled players who knowingly make risky decisions when playing for high scores.

>hellmoo
Man that's a comfy game. I couldn't really get into role playing in it though so it didn't last long. Esp with there being more admin players than regular players, not that I witnessed abuse, it just seems off

Cata's lighting is pretty good

Can I play as anything other than a nigger with that tileset?

Sil

Pretty sure all the player tiles are Aryan

>colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_newbie_traps
I think crawl would be improved if:
>all monsters on a floor wake up after 1000 turns
>monsters roam specifically and hunt with purpose to individually cover as much area as possible
>they follow other monsters alerted by sound or combat
>elven rune in Elf:3 every time, only ONE random branch in lair, lair is only 4 floors, slime is always at the bottom.
>resting causes you to actually fall asleep
>you recover slower while walking around
>killing monsters recovers a small amount of health and magic regardless of your race or god choice