What prevents car manufacturers from securing headlights with few easily accessible screws so you can quickly replace...

What prevents car manufacturers from securing headlights with few easily accessible screws so you can quickly replace lightbulbs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=elzVs9uNgn8
youtube.com/watch?v=aDP5DQrO_Og
youtube.com/watch?v=B7Krv8Gw_DQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

post-modernism.

You can make a lot more money creating something that's meant to be replaced rather than serviced or repaired.

Because it would need several screws spread over different areas of the headlight mounting to secure it properly to prevent vibration. You'd also have to make sure there could it could only be mounted in the exact same place and way again, as otherwise you'd need to recalibrate your headlight positioning after changing a bulb

I think what you'd rather want is to have more space behind the rear of the headlights, making replacing bulbs much easier

[urge to sort intensifies]

This is why I like the mindset that went into 90s-mid 2000s fords, it's literally just two pull tabs and the whole headlight pops out

Also this. Car buyers want as much performance, looks and fuel economy as they can get for their price point. So ease of changing light bulbs takes the back seat to designing a front end that conforms to current aesthetic trends and is reasonably aerodynamic.

>removing bulbs on 350z
jack car up, remove wheel, remove fender liner, remove headlight, replace bulb

>removing bulbs on e30
reach into engine bay, twist whats holding the bulb and change

not so fast
t. 2003 ford focus owner

>removing bulbs on 350z
Please tell me its not true.

If youre in US, chances you own a 2.0l 130hp Focus. Its quite fast for what it is.

Well, Appears it is true.

>youtube.com/watch?v=elzVs9uNgn8

Fuck me I have a 350z. Well, at least they're factory HID so I shouldn't ever have to replace them.

manufacturers dont care about ease of maintenance they care about ease and speed of assembly

Someone decided to make a billion H7 55 watt bulbs so now the krauts and a few other select manufacturers have to deplete the stock so use the stupid paperclip hold down for the next 50 years

Hahahaha gaaaay, IS350 far better if you want a high compression v6

>It is true
What the fuck? Does all 350Z come with HID? I believe that halogens are easier to replace? But question is whether they came with halogens. If not, then this is literally a fail in engineering.

350z nismo > IS350

youtube.com/watch?v=aDP5DQrO_Og
T-thanks Renault

>securing headlights with few easily accessible screws
Because headlights are rarely used now. Instead of headlights, you have customized shaped bezels along with lenses for bulbs. The idea of self-enclosed headlamps that users can cheaply purchase at commodity prices in stores for $14.95 is gone.

EU version (which is good since US one is ugly) with 1.8 turbodiesel. its okay.

>EU version bad
US has more Sport trim Focuses than EU does and Sport trim looks way more cooler. Eh turbodiesel, thought a gasoline.

This is one of the things I liked about the 2004 Mondeo. Too bad the TDCi was a pos.

Id take a few, my car runs H7s.

that's because the 350z has HID bulbs (which have a higher lifetime than halogen bulbs) and the e30 has normal halogen ones

Reminds me of Chrysler

ease of manufacturing
if they can shave 5 seconds off the time it takes to install a headlight, they'll do it

Except that domestic retainer you just posted are easy a shit to remove with a clip remover. Way better than Asian clips. Those fucking break all the damn time

>remove cover
>twist out housing
>pull out bulb
Damn this car is great

youtube.com/watch?v=B7Krv8Gw_DQ

That sucks. I had to take the battery out to get to my driver side headlight a few weeks ago and that pissed me off. Especially because there's so much damn room in the engine bay of this 4cyl Escape, but you still need to take shit apart to get to it.

My Kenworth tractor at work, that is actually held in by a few screws and a bezel, but when it burns out you have to replace the whole lamp. But with how the whole hood opens on those things, not like it would be difficult to get to a regular bulb anyway.

>MJ sealed beam goes
>four screws
>off she comes

You can thank Ford for this.

Own G37, friend has 350.

>turn wheel
>pop out a few clips
>pull back liner
>change headlight
Wow so hard

G37 & 370
>pop hood
>pop out airbox and fold back (just clicked in there + hose clamp)
>change headlight

Wowowoowowwoiwiwwiiwoowowow hard

In what cars is it hard to change the bulbs?
Mine is just pop the hood and twist the holder and it slides out.

I thought you were joking until I looked it up and saw a carjack in the thumbnail

>have e60
>need to remove the damn bumper to change a bulb

It's odd, a 2014 Jetta is much harder to replace the small bulbs on than a 2014 Golf

Bulbs don't burn out very often and other aspects of assembly and production costs shouldn't be compromised so you can spend 2 minutes changing a bulb instead of 20.

It's not a scam to make them more money, it's a purposeful decision to save money. The cost of bulbs remains the same and most people replace them themselves, and when they don't it's usually done at a lube shop or as a complimentary service

Some newer cars aren't as bad.

My 8th gen accord i can replace most bulbs from the inside. On mazda 3s and golfs you basically have to drop the front bumper to change bulbs.

The trick is to use high quality LED headlights so you never have to change them again.

>tfw shitty lightbulb holder design & country with bad roads so bulbs burn often

well, in my headlights you just take off big rubber dust cap thingie and unlock piece of metal that's holding it in place. you don't even need a screwdriver

>have to take out my fucking airbox to change globes