Thoughts on the Mazda MX-5 RF (2017)?

Thoughts on the Mazda MX-5 RF (2017)?

It's a miata with a hardtop. More expensive and heavier, but still has the miata magic. Apparently the top down experience is worse than the soft top though with the fancier bodywork behind the driver.

Muh dick

If I had one I'd probably never have the top down anyway, all I've ever wanted is a Miata coupe and this is the closest we can have in the US market.

Newbie here, how is it in comparison with a BMW 1 Series of this year?

I really thought about buying one at one point. I think the design is sexy af. But I decided to wait tell the used ones start hitting the market. The asking price for them is a little too high.

the folding hard top is a better design than my Z4 imo because it doesnt fuck up the boot aperture.

There's a mazda garage near me, looks nice in person.

Goddamn, just check these seats!

It's a miata with a nice hardtop.

I might consider buying a new miata because i like it so much, but I'm not married and single guys buying a miata screams gay eternal bachelor.

>gay eternal bachelor
Just dress well, and you will be a gentleman.

JUST MAKE A FUCKING FIXED ROOF MAZDA
that's what everyone wants anyway. waste all this money developing this compromise-roof that no one asked for. the fuck? coulda done the same thing without all the seals and motors and hinges and fucking garbage. i don't need a convertible because i'm not a faggot, I just want a good small rwd car. this is why the toyobaru blew you out of the fucking water

The 1 series is way heavier but is more powerful. You definitely would want the 135 over the 128 because of the down the road tunability of the 135 and inherent limitations of the 128. I'ld stick with the miata for sure. Cheaper to buy and to own, lighter, more fun, more reliable.

>blew you out of the water

Miata is 500 lbs lighter and way easier to add a turbo to. Out of the box a brz is probably better and better looking but im going with the miata every time.

>im going with the miata every time.
too bad people actually buying cars didn't. miata getting outsold every year since the 86 came out, even 2016 and 2017 when miata numbers should've been highest

Well the brz is the first real competitor the the miata for a while. No matter what it is itll cut into sales because the market is only so big. I feel like people assume the brz is a more "serious" sports car as well. Im just hoping used NDs drop in price enough where i can get one.

MIATAS ALL NEED HARDTOPS

Would it be a good first car for a single guy?

30k for 155 hp is pathetic and not attractive

Its also under 2400 lbs which is insanely light. Thats what this car does best.

>t. not even owning a driving licence

I just want a cheap convertible
or any convertible for that matter
the Miata seems to fit the bill

Or even better they could just make it a fucking targa top.

If there was a targa miata I'd buy it in an instant. But instead I have to go all the way to a Corvette for that body style.

Less power fron a DOHC N/A 2 litre than my 1990 MR2, how does Mazda do it?

Hardtops are objectively better looking than softtops.

It's about as heavy and powerful as a 90s honda civic that isn't boosted off its nuts.

No matter how you try and get around that fact and scream about muh RWD sports car it's pretty weak shit.

>it's pretty weak shit.
People who actually buy and own cars usually don't care about meaningless numbers.
They care about having fun while driving, which miata gives big time.

Modern cars are the most soulless possible driving experience though, so even muh fun really isn't that valid. An older miata with thinner doors and larger windows and not a single electronic nanny device in sight would probably be 'more fun' along with literally every pre-2000 shitbox by virtue of not being made lame and painfully boring in the name of safety.

>Online bench racing kid detected

Miatas handle like a 80k+ car, and it's absolutely fun to drive full throttle.

Have fun arguing over lap times online you autist.

>muh handling

>using 80k car as a unit of measurement when it means literally nothing as there are plenty of 80k cars that drive like shit but are simply rare or old

It's a car that barely competes with civics a fraction of the price that can corner just as hard with a competent driver but civics are actually practical and rarely associated with the gay community.

>associated with the gay community.
How insecure are you?

I can't really compare ND to older miatas, reviews usually say it's still pretty damn good, but I feel you.

Quite confident in both masculinity and sexuality.

Doesn't mean stereotypes don't exist, or that any of the multiple points I've made against it aren't valid.

They even dropped 'Miata' off of the entire car just to move away from that feminine stereotype. It's not that they can't be good cars but the most recent one is way overpriced for what you're really getting out of it.

>nd
>easier to add a turbo to
what the fuck are you smoking

who /fiata/ here?

the body work is much more aggressive and masculine than the ND's angry eyes and it lacks all the gay stigmas you guys are all concerned about.

riceshit

>italian body kit for a Japanese car is rice shit

wait wat

it literally looks like garbage on wheels. if you like this car you undeniably have absolutely shit taste and should proceed in killing yourself ASAP.

The coupe looks better. Reminds me of the Fairlady Z.

Fiat doesnt make a Coupe yet, but they should to meet the needs of people like that dont want a soft top or a heavy, expensive targa top.

you exchange the gay stigma with a fuccboi stigma.

congrats

Bait? This thread is literally about the miata rf aka the the targa top miata that is currently on the market.

I4 vs H4. Both have stupid high CR.

>corner just as hard
Except that civics are front heavy and FWD. Miatas are balanced and RWD. Those are two advantages that you cant mod out of a civic.

>base Mustang GT
>35k
>base Miata RF
>40k
Is this just Canada or is it priced like this elsewhere? I'd be willing to try "slow car fast" but that much for 155HP is fucking retarded.

Buy a used older one, they are all similar enough.

my local Mazda dealer in Trumpland has Miata RF's starting at $32k while Ferd has Mustang GTs starting at $35k.

Here in Spain Miata starts at 25k Euros, Mustang is 40k at the very least. And used Miata in good condition is betwen 5k-10k

>used Miata in good condition is betwen 5k-10k
¿Los de este año?

i want it

I seriously, seriously considered this car. The fold away targa roof is my dream convertible configuration. If they could have just fixed a few fucking things, I might have bought it.

Right here my friend, now with red accents

>fixed a few fucking things
like what?

Regular soft top looks better and is much cheaper. I know plenty of people who daily drive Miata soft-tops through Canadians winters without issue.

>155 HP

1.)I hate the how the front end of the ND Miata looks. The slant/squinty headlights. The proportion of the grill. The way the hood slopes down. I know that bit is subjective and tons of people like it, but I hate it. Not something I realistically expect Mazda to 'fix' but it was a factor in my decision making

2.)Everyday ride quality. The 124 is more comfortable on the highway as an everyday DD (while still having less body roll when you get to corners), and whichever car I bought was/is going to be DD'd through the summer/spring/fall

3.)The 124's interior is nicer, and even if it's just cosmetic, Fiat did a better job of making it feel higher quality than mazda and the body colored plastic they put in the ND's interior

4.)No performance trim. If Mazda had/would offer a Mazdaspeed version of the RF, I would have legit had to agonize over the ND vs 124 question

Fucking this. The RF and the MX-5 in general is stupidly expensive in Canada. I can't see them selling very many. The NC PHRT wasnt much more than the soft top. For the price of the RF GT you could have :

Evolution final edition(kek)
WRX STI
Mustang GT track pack
Camaro SS
Golf R
Type R
Focus RS
Almost 2 Fiesta STs
BMW M240i
5 new Nissan micras
1 FRS and 1 base model Corolla

I like miatas, I owned an NC2 for years but the new cars are incredibly overpriced for what they are.

Just makes me wish Honda would make a S2000 with a convertible hard top.

If you believe Honda, the S2000 is coming back in 2018, with a BASE price of $50,000 USD

You know what else is stupid expensive in Canada? The Challenger. It's supposed to compete with the Mustang and Camaro, but unless you want the 5.7L boat anchor, you're paying a lot. The base R/T 392 *starts* at 50k, the T/A and SRT 392 is a good 60k. For 50k you could get a fully spec'd out GT Premium, or an SS 1LE.

It's still called Miata, and when you stop caring so much about what other people think of your car, you'll be well down the path to losing your virginity.

it's not so much about "caring" at this point as simply stating facts and explaining to others.

Mazda dropped "miata" with the NC to have a more 'globally unified' model name. "Roadster" as a model name wouldn't work so well because in english that's a type of car, so MX-5 makes sense.

Americlaps who insist on the name 'miata' certainly aren't helping.

I know, it's hilarious. To get a car comparable to a 37k Mustang GT you need to spend at least 13 grand more. I see very few challengers around here and I'm sure the price is the reason.

>3.)The 124's interior is nicer, and even if it's just cosmetic, Fiat did a better job of making it feel higher quality than mazda and the body colored plastic they put in the ND's interior
see

test

Have they fixed the gearbox not being able to handle the massive 148 ft·lb of torque when coupled to an LSD?

I-is this real?

Google ND 2nd gear. Spirited driving is more than it can take, and it strips the teeth faster than a $3 ho.

The updated transmissions for 2017 supposedly fixed it.

ITT: WE POST SEXY RF PICS NAOW

And yet faster around a track than an S2000 in stock form

the interior is all pretty much the same on those two cars, the biggest difference is the two tone leather seats and alcantara on the Abarth while the MX-5 has those body-color matching door panels.

Just curious, why the MX-5, Abarth, Fiat... have the same body? I am a noob, you know. Synergy between companies maybe?

The 124 and the Miata share the same plataform. The 124 is literally a Miata with a different engine and some different body panels.

Forgot to say, it's cheaper for Fiat to just buy the rights to use the Miata plataform than to develop it's own from the ground up. That's why they did it

its kind of the other way around, Fiat funded much of the R&D money for the new platform while Mazda handled the actual manufacturing.

all MX-5s and 124 Spiders are built at the same plant in Hiroshima, Japan; under the skin the body platform is almost entirely the same and the interiors share most components. Miatas are built with their own Mazda body panels and engines while Spiders use Fiat's multi-air turbo engines. the Abarth models are unique in that they are only partially built in Japan, then shipped to Italy to be completed with a few higher trim niceties and the more powerful Abarth tuned engines.

Didn't know that, nice
thanks user