Which programming language is better to master for the finance and the corporate world: Java or Python?

Which programming language is better to master for the finance and the corporate world: Java or Python?

its not about programming language if you cant program

Vba in excel.

Don't get ahead of yourself, finance monkeys still use excel and knowing Vba is like inventing fire.

Rust is picking up

No.

what kind of jobs are those called?

Python

Depends on what you want to do. If you don't know what you want to do specifically, Python, since it's a jack of all trades master of none language.

I'd recommend Python, if only because it works well with R...and R is actually pretty good if you want to go into certain analytical positions.

Granted, this goes more into data science, but it's still useful.

java if you want to do front end which is hot atm

If you don't know anything about either, then neither.
>finance and corporate world
>corporate world
could you be any more vague...

Which screwdrivers are the best for constructing a skyscraper: Philips or flathead?

My brother works in financial engineering. How uses predominantly Python and R I think.
He also told me several times that if I want to write trading programmes that I should just stick to Python since it is the most user friendly and "you can use it for everything anyway".

He's probably talking about getting a job as a quant.

You can't go wrong with Python. It's easy to learn (if you know matlab you'll learn python in no time), user-friendly, reliable and very powerful. It's not always the absolute best choice for any given task, but it'll always get the job done. Especially if you just want to use programming to get your actual work done (financial analyst, engineer or whatever), go for Python.

matlab

Yep

Murex and Calypso, two of the largest trading platforms, are both Java, and there's a huge amount of other back office non-performance-critical systems that are also Java.

I expect there's probably front office guys using Python in various places, but I've not got any exposure to that so I couldn't say for sure.

Python for the most part. It's used alot in data science and financial analyst stuff

Practice your SQL
You can do basic algorithms like OHLC efficiently in a good SQL database

excel
it's what you only ever gonna need for finance

>mfw i generate my sql scripts from excel too

jesus christ how horrifying

you must be an expert sucking dick. stop dreaming.

no way in hell you will enter without someone willing to help you already in.

Jobs that are going to want you know finance AND programing are going to want Python as a bare minimum, as well as knowledge of SQL, SAS, and R.

Java is almost strictly front end facing that never has anything to actually do with finance.

I work at a brokerage in data science, that's what we use.

You're mistaken. If you know finance/economics and can program, the only kneepads being used are by the recruiter.