Just signed up for Progressive's Snapshot program. Here is my plan:

Just signed up for Progressive's Snapshot program. Here is my plan:

>put it on my dd as insured
>drive my project car almost every day instead to minimize miles
>when I do drive the dd, drive 5mph under the limit, gentle braking, grandma it, hate myself

Any advice? Who has experience with their system?

hmm I never thought about this. Are the cost changes significant? I'd be tempted to put it in my truck. I drive that thing like a grandpa everywhere when I do drive it.

Holy shit, that thing would fuck me.
I'd immediately go on their list as someone who should pay the highest premiums possible.
My ticket record is spotless, and my accident record nearly so, but I bet they pay much more attention to daily speed and braking.

what does it do?
is it some monitoring thing for insurence companys?

>letting the joodles track your every vehicular movement in faint hopes of paying ten quid a month less for insurance

First of all you're a bootlicking cuck

A friend did this an eventually got $0.01 reduction on his insurance, iow it's not worth it.

Secondly I wonder what would happen if you mounted this device to a gyroscope similar to an ancient maritime clock. Then you could hang the apparatus in the vehicle and it would never measure any g forces. You'd still be fucked by GPS but they would never know your corner g's

>collaborating with the enemy
i hope you crash, destroy both your cars, and sustain injuries, but only non-permanent ones.

Did they not cover physics at all in your schools, or were you too busy sucking cocks for a quid in the bathroom instead of going to class?

thats not how gyroscopes work user

I tried snapshot.

I drive like a fucking grandmother and my insurance went up using it.

It doesn't sense that older cars you have to brake harder to stop it (especially on hills or when towing).

Literally worst decision I've ever made outside of getting married.

DON'T

My friend uses this nonsense. He drives PAINFULLY slow, and he STILL gets reports nagging him about driving too fast. All for probably a $10 savings on his 6 month premium!

I'm sure this thing was actually designed so that insurance companies can justify hiking up your insurance rates because you accelerate too fast or brake too hard.

I've seen some people who get it working with external power outside of the car. but even then it doesn't save you a ton of money.

>cable tie it to my track bike
>i'm sorry user, we're not going to be able to insure you anymore

>he has car insurance

Just dont get pulled over

Do you realise your idea violates a couple of Newton's laws of motion and that you are a fucking idiot?

Yes. Monitors actions for a chance to reduce/increase premiums.
With low/no use and gentle as fuck driving, I would wager it's ok. And it would be almost the same driving I would do anyway, but with one boring day a week.

This thing only monitors for 50 days and doesn't notify you of anything

Desu it only monitors for extreme speeds i.e: going over 80 mph at any time and going 15 mph over the posted speed limit

Found this out the hard way when I signed up for state farms version of snapshot and got a letter a week after hooning all weekend with my friends that they were either going to:
>Drop me as a client
>raise my rates for liability to 400 a month
Needless to say I switched to American family and I'm good now

>advertise lower rates
>get 0.01

I love america

Kek'd hard

Why don't you just move to fucking Europe? Giving up your freedom like that is disgusting.

Those tracking devices have been a thing for a while now in Europe too

Of course they are. That's why I suggested OP move there. He'll feel right at home with the government control and constant monitoring.

When I went to my local insurance agent recently to get insurance on my car trailer they were pushing thier version of this hard. Even offering flat 20 bucks a month off my insurance no matter how I drove.

When they were telling me about it, it was taking everything in my power to keep from just bursting out laughing. I knew what would if I installed that thing. It would take about a month and they would drop my ass completely. I really don't even drive that fast normally I just keeping up with the flow of traffic, but sometimes the flow of traffic is doing 80+ and keeping up with the flow would not be any excuse they would accept.

>that feel when USAA and cars that either don't have OBD or only OBD1
I feel bad for you fucks

>mfw UK black boxes are literally a black box you shove inside the dashboard and hook into the ignition
>mfw GPS only
>mfw perfect 10 score, never had points taken off

I can literally floor it through first and second and it won't do anything.

You're missing the point. Be good for 1.5 months and boom, cheaper insurance and no oversight. Chill.

60% chance your rates will go up. this only serves as a way to prove "you did this, this, and this wrong"
before they had no proof. now they do.

>Literally worst decision I've ever made outside of getting married.
KEKT

LITERALLY THIS, JUST SIGN UP FOR THE MILITARY ITS WORTH IT FOR USAA RATES ALONE

EVEN WITH THE BIGGEST SPYSHOT DISCOUNT AT PROGRESSIVE, USAA IS STILL OBSCENELY LOWER

That's what happens when you drive a 841cc diesel

WHY DOESN'T USAA INSURE BIKES?
(No, seriously. Even with the discount progressive is still expensive.)

£10 a month less? That's over a third off my policy. Sign me up.

go back to work charlie

It's just OBDII right? What if you wheel speed sensors don't work then it can't gather any data while you drive?

>I get a device that has to track specific values from specific sensors in the car and the ability for this device to have uninterrupted access to those sensors is what allows me to pay a lower price on my insurance, what if my wheel sensors don't work?

Gee user, I truly wonder

Snapshot is for people who rarely drive. My Grandma tried it for 6 months and got her insurance lowered by $50. But she maybe drives like 2K miles a year. You can drive like a saint, but if you are driving something like 1K miles or more a month, you are not going to get any reduction. Insurances don't want to pay out, lowering the premiums of people who rarely drive makes more sense. Less chances for accidents that way.

Because reckless idiots just back from their first deployment with more money than their backwater town had seen in years make bad choices.

It's not just tossed in the vehicle, retard, it's plugged into the ODB2 port.

idk if it actually tracks speed, but I'm pretty sure it's main focus is an accelerometer that tracks incidents of high G, so sharp braking, sharp cornering, and fast acceleration will trigger it and it will beep in those situations.

If you drive a manual it should be easy to avoid these, use engine braking when approaching a stoplight, consider catching an orange over stopping quickly, if you do stop quickly use a smooth addition of brake pressure avoid stabbing the brakes, and smooth reduction of pressure as you approach the stop. This is proper technique anyways, and you can still get quite rapid deceleration without triggering the snapshot.

For corners just slow to a lower speed and use smooth steering inputs.

When I had one I only had one time it beeped, while my sister (driving an automatic jetta) had several where she thought it was unfair such as corners,

>consider catching an orange over stopping quickly, if you do stop quickly use a smooth addition of brake pressure avoid stabbing the brakes, and smooth reduction of pressure as you approach the stop.

Why do you think these are exclusive to manuals?

A-actually it's a 996cc petrol.

Three cylinders.

Kill me.

Don't you have to have both cars insured?

been married ten years, wife's still hot and I still like hanging out with her. Sorry for your loss user.

That said I was married to another broad for 6 years before that and hated my life and would say that exact shit/tell younger guys that would listen to never get married. I still don't recommend anyone get married but if you do, live with her for a few years before committing. Yes, I'm old.

They'll insure bikes while you're stationed in Europe, and once you've got your foot in the door, you can keep insuring them back in the US.

I used snapshot when I was 19 and my rates went down a lot during the initial 6 month period after but every cycle since they went up tremendously

>Just signed up for Progressive's Snapshot program.
It is a scam because even if you succeed, Progressive has a method to raise your rates based indirectly upon the data recorded. Their promise to not raise your rates is kept. But the data recorded affects other data and they can raise rates on that derived data. Others who have had the Snapshot had that situation where they saved a tiny tiny amount just so that Progressive could have stats that XX percentage saved money while others were identified by the program as heavy brakers.

It doesn't matter how good you drive because it doesn't measure that. It measures each time you have a lapse such as heavy braking.

My insurance agent, along with others from my insurance company, signed up for their competitor's Progressive Snapshot just to evaluate it for the company. They all basically failed. My agent told me it's not a good deal for the client since it's basically to identify who are the bad drivers. Since it is evaluated over a long time period, the data on the driver is next to impossible to refute.

>I wonder what would happen if you mounted this device to a gyroscope similar to an ancient maritime clock.

Snapshot connects to your OBD2 and has access to all the data that appears on the car's data bus. In newer cars, that is a LOT of data.

It would be a bit scary if it is as well made as the GM onstar driver evaluation. That one knows the obvious ones such as if you use turn signals before turning or if you do a lot of "hooning". It also knows if you weave in the lane. If that is measured at night and after the GPS shows you were parked at a parking lot where a bar was located, it can be inferred that you were driving drunk.

GM onstar even packages the feature for the car owner as a "Teen Driver Option" which generates a "report card" on the teen driver when the car owner loans the car to their kids to drive. It measures all sorts of factors like use of turn signals, weaving, how many times traction control was needed on sharp turns, speeding (GPS and the database knows the speed limits for most roads the car is on). It would be amusing to Progressive to know how much speeding you do.

I found it funny when /pol/ used terms like "the electronic jew".
This is literally it.
It's not so funny anymore.

>Just signed up for Progressive's Snapshot program
GM Smart Driver program uses the car's ability to phone home the data. If you have a newer car you can sign up for it at the GM Onstar website. It records the data and then sends it out to a bunch of insurance companies without your name on the data. The companies then make an offer based on the data and you can accept it or not. GM of course gets a kickback for steering that customer to the insurance company. I try to drive carefully, but no insurance company wants me. I am not a speeder, but they apparently don't like the number of hard braking incidents.

Yeah but the other car is just liability and not under snapshot because it has OBD-0.

Jesus. Lots of misinformation this thread. Snapshot ONLY tracks when you drive and hard braking, which is defined as more than 7mph/sec. That's it. If you drive later in the evening, it detracts, and if you drive late at night, it REALLY detracts. It doesn't know if your speeding, it doesn't measure acceleration or lateral force.

>Lots of misinformation this thread.
You forget the terms are written by lawyers. The data collected by the device is NOT limited to only the Snapshot program. However, the Snapshot program will only use the driving and braking data. But other databases at Progressive may also obtain and use the data as they are not prevented.

Not worth it because some faggot pulling out in front of you and forcing you to brake hard can raise your premiums even if there isn't an accident.

You've literally doomed yourself. It's not going to make your insurance cheaper.

>install new brakes pads
>do a few hard brakes to set the pads properly
>insurance increases

Fucking dumb.

What's your source on this

I did it years ago. I grandma'd it and got $20 off my insurance monthly. It mostly focuses on sudden acceleration/stops, and the amount of times your car is turned on/off if I remember correctly.

Don't do it. Those things are literally only to raise your rates. It's bullshit.

>not being an idiot redneck
get off my board

i tried it and saved the full 30%. my wife (who drives more miles and had more hard stops) saved 10%. if you don't drive a lot of miles, don't brake hard, and don't drive 12am - 4am then this thing is a no brainer.

Talk to me about milage. What are you talking?

Not him but I suppose he is talking about the fact that you pay less if you drive less, because every mile you spend driving you are statistically more likely to have an accident so a low driving time is rewarded with a lower rate

>usaa
Fuck that company. I was on the other side of town when some old woman had a seizure and hit my parkes car. Bent the drivers rear axle, estimated 4k to fix it all. Usaa barely gave me 3k for totaling it and letting them take the car. I got that 3k 5 days after they cancelled the rental, which i had had for the whole 2.5 months or so it took them to get the whole process going.

fucking americans and technology thing they're so smart with their satellites and shit

We yuropoors invent stuff too

>Talk to me about milage. What are you talking?
One of the top examples Progressive used to use as an example of savings drove only about 20 miles per day. So it's no wonder she saved money on Progressive's rates. She didn't get her discount from the Snapshot Program. She got her discount from low mileage driver (verified). But since she got her discount WHILE ON SNAPSHOT, the snapshot program got credited for her savings.

I'm can't vouch for other insurance companies, but I used the EnRoute program from Cooperators and it was very beneficial. They give you 5 percent for participating in the program, and up to an additional 20 percent based on your driving.

It was right in the black and white that premiums would not be adjusted upwards. The premiums themselves are not at all based on the device, only your discount.

It tracks a lot of bad stuff but it only "records" and reports the time of day, distance travelled, and number of "excessive braking/acceleration events" (greater than 10km/h/s).

Their hope is that people will be grandma-er and cause fewer accidents. I didn't exactly drive like a Saint, but yes I did hate driving a little bit more and people that cut you off, or yellow lights, end up giving you rage thinking "my rate just went up because of this!" but in reality it makes no difference.

So to everyone saying "I GOT KEKED BY IT DON'T DO IT", either your program was a shit fest and you should have read the fine print, OR, more likely, something else caused your increase and you're too autistic to look into it. So like the apes that you are you blamed the new fangled technology instead of the other kike moves that the insurance companies pull.

Or it can be like all other "honey pot" type operations. It is sweet in the beginning. Once the database is established for most drivers as to their driving habits, then they can all adjust their rates as they want. The drivers will be unable to refute the data because it was obtained over a good period of time. As black people already know, insurance companies play the statistics game. Once they get enough statistics on the rest of us, they can play the same legalistic discrimination games on good ol whitey and brownie and yellowy too. Surely you don't object to statistics being accurate to the individual?

Maybe the future should have all drivers tested and verified by statistical methods such as Snapshot, EnRoute, or OnStar Smart Driver. Those drivers proven to drive safe, not hoon, not race, not go 90mph or faster, not panic brake, not have a lot of hard accelerations from stop lights, and not wiggle between road lines, and use turn signals before turning will not be penalized. And yes, OnStar Smart Driver can detect if I drive wiggly between the road markings (possible drunk driver), don't use turn signals, or speed since it has a database of roads with their speed limits. It also knows if I drive on the road lines since the lane keeper signal appears in the database. Squealing starts from a stop light are recorded too since that is marked by a traction event. it's one nosy GM car but all new onstar cars are like that.

It just needs the privacy laws to be changed so that the OBD2 data is given to the insurance companies without car owner approval. It could be as simple as all new car sales contracts having that term in it. At that point, only a SCOTUS challenge can stop it.

Car insurance agents please go

did you know you can simulate OBD2 signals using a Raspberry Pi and a can bus. that way Progressive thinks he drive like old Daisy and your rates go down. alternatively I think they use GPRS all you have to do is somehow intercept the signal data going to the insurance provider and inject your own stuff with your own base station. good luck.

>find out how to spoof signal
>beat land speed record
>?????
>profit

I can never try running an insurance scam
>tfw accelarate slow
>tfw brake slow, always keep lot of distance between cars, engine brake
>tfw take all junctions and corners at the speed limit, sometimes over it

Nice aygo

If you think of all the things a company COULD do with your information, you'll go crazy. Literally should never use any Google service ever again.

But the truth is that they can't be that intrusive or backhanded. Other companies would start taking their clients. So they have to be reasonable.

That said, I fucking HATE paying what I do for insurance as a young male in Ontario. However, if there was a system that penalized the assholes that I'm grouped with who raise my rates, and I get discounts for not being one of those dumb cunts? Yeah, I'm on that shit.

As for your pic, pretty sure an oil changer place supplied that info. And if the dude lied about his mileage why should he keep his low mileage discount?

I don't like paying more when I'm not the dude causing rates to be so high.. Sue me.

>Just signed up for Progressive's Snapshot program.
Dumbass.

Hardly anyone who uses snapshot sees a discount and those who do get a tiny one. google it.

>But the truth is that they can't be that intrusive or backhanded. Other companies would start taking their clients. So they have to be reasonable.
That depends entirely on their market share. Once they are established as dominant they can be total fucks and still stay on top. See: google and its censorship rampage over the past year.

>As for your pic, pretty sure an oil changer place supplied that info.
It stands to reason that insurance companies all purchase subscriptions to the 36 various car database companies out there ranging from the well-known carfax to the lesser known body shop indexing companies. Many of these places record the odometer mileage and VIN and then provide that info to the database companies.

>But the truth is that they can't be that intrusive or backhanded.
Yes, they can. Secrecy is what lets them.
Many corporations play the DINDU hand. Remember how Volkswagon said DINDU NUFFIN when first confronted with the cheating scandals? In unrelated matters, remember when Sony said Dindu Nuffin when confronted with the creation of false product reviewers? Then they said they wouldn't do that anymore and a year later got caught doing it yet again? Bold Liars.

>extreme speeds i.e: going over 80 mph at any time
lol'd

fucking race traitor

Instead of 80 mph OnStar Smart Driver has a category for 90 mph or more. It's a bit sad since the speedometer on the car goes up to 160 mph and the car is at or slightly under 2000 rpm on level ground at 70 mph.

Agreed, while I don't like the method the insurance company used, don't fucking lie about how much you drive to your insurance company. If you're on Veeky Forums you should have more than 2 cars anyway so none of your cars should be going over 5k a year.

>got a letter a week after hooning all weekend with my friends that they were either going to:
>>Drop me as a client
>>raise my rates for liability to 400 a month

Sounds like it is working exactly as it should. From an insurer's point of view someone who is retarded enough to hoon with a tracking device in their car is retarded enough to cost them a lot of money.

Normies were a mistake.

Progressive's wording of not raising rates due to Snapshot is quite technical. It doesn't limit or prevent Progressive from adding that data to their database about the client. That data can be utilized outside of the Snapshot Program anyways once the Snapshot Program ends or the client no longer is part of the Snapshot time period.

>someone who is retarded enough to hoon with a tracking device
All GM OnStar cars track the data to a database. GM has admitted that even if the person doesn't subscribe to the OnStar services, the data is still collected and the database is updated with that data.

Those of you who have newer GM cars know that the cars themselves can display a "report card" on the driver if they purchased that option. Cars have features such as Stay In Lane, but that also means whenever the driver fails to stay in lane or weaves in lane, the software can record that. The problem occurs if the GPS shows the car was parked for awhile at a restaurant or bar location. If a bunch of "weaving" is recorded, data mining software can infer the driver's driving ability was affected by something from the bar or restaurant.

Right now, GM is allowed to distribute the data to insurance companies without VIN or car owner's name due to privacy laws. It's important that we citizens fight any lobbying of politicians to change the laws to allow insurance companies access to that data with our names/VIN. Certain the car companies want to sell that info to the insurance companies for profit each year as a subscription database. When that happens, there really will be no more affordable hooning except when you drive bumper cars at the carnival.

>Sounds like it is working exactly as it should.

I bet in the future, insurance companies will subpoena the driving data whenever there is an accident claim where the driver could be at fault. Any pet judge getting kickbacks should grant the request since it is directly related to the case at hand. Many databases are not subject to the same strict requirements that search warrants of dwellings require.

So was coming down out of the trees

I didn't make that comment to get into an autistic discussion of the politics involved in it, I am merely stating that the insurer's business interest is served by getting rid of a customer who is such a fucktard that he hoons his car with a tracking device in it.