Fingerprint scanners in cars when?

Fingerprint scanners in cars when?
there are phones sold under 100$ with finger print scanner, why isnt this in cars yet? it could even be in cheap cars for a few 100 bucks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bMtqRir7dco
youtu.be/IfayiLHjmzA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what purpose would it serve, like to start the car or to open the driver door or, like what do ya think it would do

Don't give them bright ideas. And fingerprints aren't that secure.

>nigger wants to steal your car
>saws your hand off
Brilliant

So why do we need this, exactly?

normies love useless shit such as keyless entery and push start buttons. why not add more useless features to make money

t. poorfag who has never driven a car with keyless entry and push button start

Im rockin a ZTE grand thing, dfopped it in a river two weekends ago, let it sit for two days out and dry, worked perfectly fine after. And the finger print scanner kicks ass too. I paid $80 for it and like it more than my gfs $800 iphone.

>push button start
Not him but what a useless gimmick, had to use it in an Altima rental, holy shit was that car a turd and the push button start didn't help shit

>useless gimmick
>less parts to fail
>keeps retards from cranking the starter while the engine is running
Try driving a good car

I think it could be a good idea as a backup security measure like the number pad on Ford's, or maybe a two stage authentication if the toggle isn't connected to the key or something

I have both those things and they're fantastic.
What the fuck is a fingerprint reader going to do? Jack shit that's what.

>or just break the window like they usually do
this also does nothing to stop people who will just outright tow your car away, OR, people who are not interested in stealing your car, but like, your radio, or your wheels.

I was assuming it would be integrated into a starter button

Human lives are worth a little less than a used condom in 3rd world shitholes like Brazil where they shoot each other cause one guy cut off another

>tfw no Magnavolt security system

youtube.com/watch?v=bMtqRir7dco

>your radio
Don't go around bragging about what you got or bumpin in the wrong neighborhood
>your wheels
Lockbolts on every student
>outright tow your car away
Keep up with your payments Jamal

>I was assuming it would be integrated into a starter button
that's even stupider. and just over complicates the starting process.

>get an injury and ruin your fingerprint with a scar or something

>have to go through more hoops than a dolphin at seaworld to change the fingerprint at a dealer or some shit

You know devices store multiple fingerprints at all sorts of angles right? Are you still using some old ass chink phone and have no actual experience with this tech?

They'll never have fingerprint cars for the same reason houses can't have them. Anyone can just walk up off the street and let themselves in.

What benefit would it serve?
>hurr durr unnecessary tech will make my shitbox better

>and have no actual experience with this tech?
I honestly don't. I just expect mass consumer tech for this sort of thing, especially on cars, to be super cheap.

and get past the fingerprint lock how?

Keys are much safer. In the off-chance that you drop a key, crooks will never know which house to go to.

So, how would you get around the issue of valet parking, mechanics/car wash workers etc not being able to start the car? Just curious, I like the initial idea.

It could still have a valet mode, just with different rules in the software. Such as still requiring at least a fingerprint to start up the car, that way if you turn out to be a Jamal instead of a valet, the OEM has the fingerprint of the thief to give to law enforcement.

modern cars all have LTE modems and shit built in, pretty sure some higher end ones have valet modes that you can set for certain people through their smart phone or some shit

Or just use a valet keyfob or something

My phone finger print scanner won't register my finger prints after working.

When I was hauled off to jail their biometric finger print scanner on the KIOSK wouldn't register as mine either.

>Work as a roofer
>Hands are constantly being essentially sanded down managing shingles all day

sure, but im still not getting how this applies to fingerprints and just walking up off the street as a stranger and entering a house.

Now, I can see this being stupid for another reason- power outages.

>power goes out
>can't lock/unlock door

or,

>power goes out
>door is electronically locked like in prisons
>door automatically unlocks
>fully unlocked doors till power comes back on

this is something I didn't consider. Which is another reason why having fingerprint start seems incredibly impractical. because you need to add additional contrivances to replace an act as simple as handing a key over.

>>power goes out
>>door is electronically locked like in prisons
>>door automatically unlocks
>>fully unlocked doors till power comes back on
Do you get your information from movies or something?

Electric locks already exist and they have batteries

If you burn you fingerprint while cooking you could end up locked out in the cold.

>Or just use a valet keyfob or something
but then that defeats the purpose of having to use your fingerprint to start/get in the car if you are gonna carry a keyfob to give to the valet.

>valet modes that you can set for certain people through their smart phone or some shit
that's incredibly impractical, and relies on car/phone hookup tech which is still incredibly fickle.
>Valet doesnt have the right kind of phone or doesnt have it with him
>can't take your car

oops left my trip on
the jig is up

they are still way more failureprone than an old fashioned mechanical lock and key.

How does a valet key defeat the purpose of a fingerprint lock? Even if Tyrone gets his hands on it he'll be limited to 12mph

>my 12 year old Lancer needed a new ignition switch and lock cylinder
>my 12 year old S class still has a working button with no sign of wear and tear
Really activates those almonds, eh?

Don't they have cars that kinda have this?

If you are close to the car and you have the key in your pocket then touch the door handle it unlocks, or was something like this already mentioned and i'm too retarded to see it?

Mercedes has been doing that for like 15 years, it works really well

These guys are talking about no fobs and a fingerprint scanner. It's stupid but their reasoning for why it's stupid is just technophobia

Yeah, I was sure my moms car had it on her merc, seems that way fixes all the problems they are coming up with like having finger prints being worn off from work and what not.

3d print your finger and put it on a key chain.

You can pop the starter button off and use the keyfob as a regular key for a backup in Mercs as well. Try it

They have all the bases covered then it seems.

that's a button, not a fingerprint scanner. A button can still be mechanical and simple in function. just saying

Still a moving part versus no moving parts. I have a Galaxy S6 and the damn button stopped working, but the finger print reader built into the button still works

>It's stupid but their reasoning for why it's stupid is just technophobia
it's not about phobia anything. it just seems like it would bring a lot of inconveniences to design, that even keyless entry right now don't have. current keyless entry is pretty reasonable in how it works. (it's not that different from what existed before that, which was the key fob itself having a chip in it to prevent someone from just making a copy of the key- just removes the middle man of the key itself)

>Fingerprint scanners in cars when?
Carjackers will cut your finger off with their bolt cutter or squish it off your hand with a pair of pliers and a box cutter.

>Keys are much safer. In the off-chance that you drop a key, crooks will never know which house to go to.
Keys tell the brand of car or the type of lock the house has. From looking at the car or house, a lot of things are obvious. First, if the car is identified by a keyfob (car honks horn or flashes lights), the registration papers in the car tell the house address for the house keys and the wireless garage remote.

One thing leads to another. It's why I never put house keys on the car keyfobs. The registration papers are kept in a non-obvious place in the car. No casual searching will get it. It would take me a bit of trouble though if I had to show it to an officer that pulled me over, but I don't get traffic tickets.

Why the fuck would you want your car manufacturer to have your prints on file?

Fucking millennials don't understand privacy or security

>their biometric finger print scanner on the KIOSK wouldn't register as mine
My county had standardized with all local police. It has a palm-print database too. So it collects all fingers and a palm print including the edges of the palm.

>How does a valet key defeat the purpose of a fingerprint lock?
The fingerprint lock was to prevent the car from being stolen. Even tho Tyrone stole the valet key, he can crippledrive it to the tow trailer.

We won't have any privacy within the next 10-15 years.

Once automation and AI comes in full effect we, the poor, are doomed.

The cycle of poverty will change, that's for sure.

>their cars dont have an ignition code
Plebians, the lot of you.

Out of curiosity, outside of dumbfucks leaving their keys in the car for thieves to just drive off with, have keyless ignitions deterred cartheft in noticeable numbers?

>nigger tries to steal car
>ayo fuck dis science shit
>*smashes $700 fingerprint scanner*
>insurance jew raises rates if you file a claim
I'm a luddite for reasons like this desu

>less parts to fail
>an actual additional button

>keeps retards from cranking the starter while the engine is running
this has been in Mercedeses since the early to mid 90s

In 07
youtu.be/IfayiLHjmzA
Audi did it 10 years ago

as opposed to
>nigger tries to steal car
>does
>you have no car anymore

>additional button
have you ever looked at how many moving parts there are in a normal ignition?
because it sounds like you haven't you actual retard

How many times has a key failed to turn on you?

>empirical evidence
wow great argument there
fact is a push start is less mechanically complicated than a normal ignition

Less mechanically complicated and more electrically complicated. I prefer to change a barrel to changing electrical components.