What are Veeky Forums thoughts on Skyactiv?

Mazda has recently announced that their future Skyactiv engines will be clearer than eletric engines and might reach the "ideal combustion" through an unprecedented compression ratio.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_charge_compression_ignition#Emissions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Companies like Mazda and Suzuki deserve more props

Numales will still hate them because they're are greasy and complex and scary and expensive, compared to a bunch of copper wire (mined through some of the most destructive, polluting processes on earth but hey at least it's not offshore drilling!)

It's predicted that these new engines should be at least 15% more efficient(read: uses more engine provided by its fuel) than any other ICE engine available in the market, including hybrids.

The curious aspect of this, is that it uses the same cycle in diesel engines, while still having spark plugs and cables. Let's wait and see if theverything engines will be reliable in the long run.

I'm hoping that this will be the future for ICE engines and that eletric cuckold crap

Mazda to offer world-first compression-ignition gasoline engine

SAAB had a variable compression ratio, gasoline engine that was proposed and prototyped about 20 years ago.

My man!

>I have 1.6L ecoboost
>friend has 2.5L skyactiv
>gets better fuel economy than me
I guess it works. Skyactiv-X looks neat, hopefully we'll get a 200HP Miata out of it.

Wasn't ford sued because ecoboost engines are complete ass for mpg

>200hp sub 3000lbs manual roadster

is mazda /ourbrand/?

Turboing for fuel economy is a meme.

>Turboing for fuel economy is a meme.
It's done because it is a legal tactic for EPA MPG testing. Real life use is a different matter.

>What are Veeky Forums thoughts on Skyactiv?

At least Veeky Forums should read the basics about SkyActiv:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

You can probably get more power out of a 1.6L turbocharged engine than I can out of my 2.5L Skyactiv.

If they make an RX-7 style car with this i'm totally down.

Is it true that they fuck with the throttle response to get better mpg's? It wouldn't surprise me considering Mazda's customer base is 90% young women.

>Cleaner...?
Like how DI engines make more particulate matter than the predecessors? It may get more power and may be more efficient, but I'm not sure about cleaner. Maybe cleaner as in "I'm using less gas so less CO2."

Also, even higher compression ratios get me worried in terms of long term reliability. I hope they'll work well.

it's a meme.
it's a peak efficiency

also, even in their own pr materials they have shown that efficiency with light loads (under 6bar ) is literally between 0.5 - 7%

Well I'm getting 230HP and 250TRQ, which is well above the 184/184 of the 2.5L, so yes

Literally every single automaker does this now. It's also why modern engines have "rev hang", for emissions. My dads Mercedes makes 402HP but the first two inches of pedal travel is completely useless unless you want to accelerate like a Mitsubishi Mirage.

>Suzuki
>Deserves Props

No.

It's not if you don't keep your foot mashed to the pedal.

>Skyactiv engines will be clearer than eletric engines
>Eletric Engines
>eletric
>engines

>tfw 1.5 ecoboost Honda civic
>get 41 MPG on the highway

What does the skycuck get again?

>The curious aspect of this, is that it uses the same cycle in diesel engines, while still having spark plugs and cables

It doesn't use the same cycle, its a similar concept but the timing of fuel injection is different.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_charge_compression_ignition#Emissions

>tfw 600hp 7l Corvette
>get 40mpg on the highway

Why do enginelets exist?