What is the last good engine Toyota made? Seems they are letting other manufactures make their engines now

What is the last good engine Toyota made? Seems they are letting other manufactures make their engines now.

>pic related. one of the greatest engines ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DqMZ8TieXfU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2ZZ-GE

2zz?

1KZ-TE

4U-GSE

>oh....wait

1UZ-FE
BEAMS 3S-GE
4A-GE

2jz

2006~

4E-FE

2zz is a yamaha engine

even better user

hot damn Yamaha got the magic touch. dont forget this is Yamaha powered as well.

1GR-FE

Powered the FJs, Tacomas, and 4Runners. 4.0L V6, very under-stressed - especially the ones with dual VVTi. These engines are bulletproof.

Can take a bolt-on supercharger for extra 68 HP and torques, only tuns 5-6psi.

>tfw if any of these powered the gt86 it would have been a good car
>instead we get a shitty boxer engine

22re is fucking shit. I owned one. absolutely shit

What's your opinion of the 2GR?

20R.

No, not the 22R or 22RE, either. The 22R was a vaccum line NIGHTMARE, and the 22RE never ran quite right as the carb'd versions.

Ive had tons of 22re's and they all ran perfectly. I do want to get a old pickup with a 20r though

In what way?

Good engine as well, though not quite as durable. Works well for its intended uses, and the RAV4s with the 3.5L are rockets. Same with the Camrys, for a while they were the fastest vehicle Toyota made.

Only major drawback I've heard is that it's a PAIT to change the plugs, because of the way they shoe-horned it under the hood. The front bank is easy to get at, but the rear bank has to be almost entirely with the tips of your fingers, blindly.

But you'd probably only have to do that two or three times in the life of the vehicle.

Absolutely. Not sure they could've stuck the 1GR/2GR into the GT86 though, they're fairly bulky engines. Would've raised the centre of gravity a lot, and the newer 1GRs would be super hard to service (canister oil filter on the bottom of the engine, you'd basically need a lift or super high ramps/jackstands to work under it.

>The 22R was a vaccum line NIGHTMARE
not if you just delete all the vaccuum lines.

It is. It's one of two jobs I actually had a mechanic do for me. The other was the lower control arms.

How about the 2GR-FSE? I understand it's got a few upgraded components over the FE, and its universally-longitudinal mounting should be a benefit for maintenance.

Pretty much anything from the GR family is a solid engine, but the fancier stuff they put in the Lexus models won't be as reliable. I think the FSE had dual-injection, so as soon as you start adding more moving parts, you inherently have more things that *could* break/go wrong.

That said, it's a fairly modern Toyota engine that's been proven thoroughly. I wouldn't be opposed to owning a car with one.

Obviously none of these are a replacement for a smallblock V8, and they'll behave like most V6s with a weird torque curve, but I think they're a happy median between the weight/gas guzzling of a V8 and the crippling depression/self-loathing that comes with driving a 4 cylinder.

>R-engine
>greatest
I hear waaaaay too much shit about timing chain trouble with ANY variant of R-engine.

The greatest petrol engine Toyota ever made was the Y-engine for their vans (3Y in Hiace, Torago).
The engine was so reliable they used it in their forklifts AND STILL MAKE THEM TO THIS DAY for gas generators (need to be reliable).

Just about every performance engine Toyota ever made has a Yamaha head. Even the entire 2000gt was built by Yamaha.

>Yamaha got the magic touch.
youtube.com/watch?v=DqMZ8TieXfU

>just because it's Yamaha mans it's good
No, that Taurus sho motor was actually pretty fucking awful

wasn't that just the cam sprocket issue in the v8 sho? i thought the v6 was supposed to be great

>last good Toyota engine
>thread derails into debate about Ford SHO
God dammit...

sorry user

>2zz is a yamaha engine
Most of Toyota's coolest cars and engines were built in partnership with Yamaha.

Yes, and the car mags are saying the new Alfa is the best car ever too when it won't stop breaking on fucking test drives, but that's nothing new obviously
The sho engine is nothing remarkable...

The SHO V8 engine is the one you're thinking of.
The SHO V6 engines were fucking glorious.
It was the first time a DOHC V6 was put in an American car period.
And it was followed 2 years later by the first American designed and built DOHC production V6

No, I'm not thinking of the V8...
It's the same engine put in the festiva sho, and it's nothing special.

YES!

for the time, it was special. There weren't many road car engines, specifically V6's that could rev that high. It's different now, but back then, you were lucky if your car revved to 5000 rpm, nevermind 7 grand

It was very special in 1989
It made 220hp which is the same as the 1989 Foxbody 5.0

7300rpm V6 with a manual only trans in a family sedan was and still is a cool car

Revving high doesn't make an engine good...
If anything it's bad, engines that are focused on high RPM power suffer when out of their power bands.
Just becuase it revs higher doesn't make it better, my weed wackier can rev to like 10k rpm, so it's better than an sho motor.

>suffer when out of their power bands.
That's all engines user.

Uhh, no.
Compare a Yamaha R1 engine to a Chevy 350, the r1 doesn't get into the poweband until like 9k rpm, the Chevy is making peak power at like 2000rpm and is very flat.

that curve on the 350 dips off the higher the RPM goes. Just because it can't rev high doesn't mean it doesn't have a powerband user.

and why not argue the DZ 302? 350 block, 283 crank

Are you seriously going to argue semantics THIS hard?
Holy fucking shit.
A peaky power band is nothing to be proud of, a well balanced powerband while making good power is something to be proud of.
Making high peak power at the expense of totally shit bottom end... anybody can do that, but to have an exceptional yet balanced motor is a real accomplishment.

>Uhhh no
>Not all engines suffer when out of their powerband

What the fuck am I reading.

>engines that are focused on high RPM power suffer when out of their power bands.

But that's what made the SHO engine so ground breaking, it has 2 intake runners per cylinder - 1 short and 1 long - so you get an extended power band.

22r/e a shit

I forgot about the variable length runners. IIRC, it used long runners as low RPM for max torques, but switched to short runners when it hit the powerband
Also the engine was limited to 7,000 rpm. Ford was worried the accessories like the alternator, and water pump wouldn't be able to run at the engine's true redline, around 10,000 RPM. Though the 10k is a rumor. The engine has been confirmed to have been handicapped on rev limiting though as it safely can rev to 8500/9000.

4E-FE

>Yamaha is really good at making performance motors
Gee I wonder why

It couldn't be because they're more involved in motosport than toyota and have the relevant engineering experience

Toyota a shit.

>variable intake runners
Yeah it's pretty standard business now, Toyota (Yamaha) put "Acoustic Control Induction System" on a bunch of their engines ~1990's.
Ford Australia put "BBM" on their falcons around that time.
Mazda had "Variable Resonance Induction System" on their KLDE V6s.

Those are all the ones which come to mind..... works well! Not as good as Variable Valve Timing however.

>Toyota a shit.

Said no one ever.

Toyota exclusively makes appliances.

Their most praised cars were a copy of the foxbody and a generic muscle car with a germanesque engine

How contrarian do you have to be to argue that the manufacturer of the MOST SOLD CAR OF ALL TIME is shit?

The 2TR-FE. The direct descendent of the 22re. Fight me

Look how complex it looks compared to a 22re

At least for us Americans why not the 2VZ-FE, outside of the US you'd just go with a diesel hilux, but inside the US it's just in the right
age range to have fuel injection, but not excessive electronics.

Why has toyota started outsourcing all of the engine work? They use to be top-tier.

driving an 94 pickup, love the 22-re

well then what if we do an underdrive pulley set to turn those accessories more slowly? then can the rev limit go higher more safely?

unsure. try it on your own. If worse comes to worse, surely you can jury-rig together accessores from a Honda K20 or Mazda Rotary to work. Those are built for high RPM.

>supra
>generic

100x more personality than a boatload of corvettes

1LR-GUE

>220hp

What kind of dumb nigger fuck doesn't know about the FJ family, including the Prados? Or the Hilux?

Are you pretending to be retarded or are you legitimately disabled?

5VZ-FE and 5VZ-FZE

My list
>2zz-ge
>2ar-fe
>beams
>2jz and 1jz
>4age all generations

does the 3VZE/3VZFE bolt right up to a W50/58 transmission?

Finding a better alternator would be ideal, but underdrive is always an option, sure.

Aircon compressors usually disengage above a certain throttle position/engine speed, although AC and power steering isn't something you'd normally have in a car that revs to 10k.

As for the water pump, aftermarket electric inline pumps are available as well.

I suppose you could rig up a power steering system that uses an electric motor to turn the pump at a specific speed to keep it from overrevving. The A/C compressor wouldn't be much of an issue since they have a clutch that can disengage.

Electric-assist hydraulic power steering does exist, but you'd have to salvage it from a car that already has it. I know some cars like Mazda 3s or Astras have it.

I mean just remote-mounting the OEM pump, then turning it via a small electric motor. The controller for the electric motor could be a home-brew Raspberry Pi running a version of Linux.

>The controller for the electric motor could be a home-brew Raspberry Pi running a version of Linux
Or you could just have a relay to switch the motor on or off.

Power steering works fine at idle, after all - you'd only need to get the pump spinning at whatever RPM it would have when the engine is idling, and leave it at that.

Don't underestimate the load on a PS pump. I suggest mocking up a motor mount to test before choosing a motor. (Your local hydraulic shop can make any hose you need.)