I just got my drivers license and passed my road test! Red pill me on Wrangler YJs

I want one bad. I want one baaaaad. Can a YJ be fixed up to be in good shape for a DD? I know it gets bad fuel mileage and is more naked than the TJ but man I am in love with it. I'd like to know if they can be reliable vehicles for someone that wants to abuse it?

I'm not an off-roader type btw. Pls no bully.

Dude, jokes aside they fucking suck ass
Literally, reliability problems out the God damn ass. Wait for an actual jeep guy to come in here. Just get something else, I beg you. For your own sake

>I'd like to know if they can be reliable vehicles for someone that wants to abuse it?
No, if you abuse a stock YJ you'll break axels and drive shafts all day long.
The 4 and 6 cylinder engines are tanks though.
Also if you think 15-20mpg is bad you're a fucking faggot

Like what for example? I want one really badly!!! The 4.0 is bulletproof right?

Well when I say abuse I mean drive a lot, is that bad? Are they so delicate you can't drive them around the city?

If you're not launching it and slamming into curbs and shit because "MUH OFF ROAD" it'll be fine.
The 4 liter is bullet proof, but these cars are 30 to 22 years old now.
They will need maintenance and repair sooner or later. The best part is, parts are fucking dirt cheap and available everywhere.
Just keep water, oil, and tranny fluid at their correct levels and you can drive it all day everyday.

Yes this is what I want to hear! I think YJs have soul. Definitely worth the maintenance to me. How much should I pay for a stock one? I'm pretty willing to pay a lot.

They also roll over, allot

> we had like 8 of them in the 70's
> Now one Rusted as fuck with a Mitsi motor in it
> One fibreglass shell

YJs are wider than CJs and have less rollover risk.

YJ's are great, one of the best driving experiences I've ever had.
Don't get an auto, and a fair price in my area for an unmolested, decent condition, reasonably rust free YJ is around $5k.
But You can buy a YJ for $1000 or you can buy a YJ for $15000. Just watch your market and try to get your own baseline.

Women shouldn't be allowed to drive. YJ's aren't rollover prone. I've never once be close to rolling over in a YJ on the road as a driver or a passenger.

Thanks for the input! What kind of maintanence issues have you seen?

Former YJ owner here. Here are a few pointers:

1. DO NOT GET A 4.2 WRANGLER! They are unreliable as fuck and will need a rebuild after 75k-80k miles. Not sure if it's a 4.2? Avoid any I6 with a carb.

2. Weighing in on the rollover discussion:

All of you are right and wrong. The YJs are prone to rollivers, more so than any SUV of that area because of the tiny wheelbase. You'll be fine if you're careful, and not stupid. As a new driver who could over react and yank the wheel at highway speeds I think a word of caution is definitely warranted!

3. RUST! Rust will be everywhere! These guys are known to rust out so be warned!

All in all, they are good vehicles. I miss mine, and at the same time I don't. Will I ever get another YJ? Probably... However, a big RED FLAG shows when you mention you're not the off road type. These are not the most comfy thing to drive, and they're arguably the LEAST practical vehicle out there. Countless people buy Wranglers for the image, then dump them because they aren't good on pavement. DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!!!

>posters genuinely spoon feeding this spoiled millennial twat

Veeky Forums is so beyond dead at this point.

It's annoying how just because I'm doing well for myself and I'm young fags like you assume I'm a spoiled brat.

Have fun

If you like the YJ, I would highly consider getting a first generation Geo Tracker.

jeep wranglers not being reliable is a meme. yj's are fine, don't worry about people telling you they are weak. You wont break axles unless you are rock bouncing like a mother fucker on 33's and stock axle shafts, and all you wanna do is daily it so who cares any ways.
tips:
>dont buy a 4.2
>if you get a 2.5l get one with a manual
>4.0 is a guzzler but tons of power for a little yj
stock suspension isn't trash but it's still all leaf sprung, mine is lifted a couple inches and rides like ass, also bigger tires gave me more unsprung weight, that also effects ride quality, still daily it though

I've got an '87 YJ, with the 4.2. It's not caburated, it's been converted with a Howell 258 TBI kit

It's solid, just avoid the '87, those came with a shit Peugeot tranny.

I don't know about that axle thing. I've had a 300hp sbc in my YJ for a couple years now and I haven't busted any shafts. Of course, i don't rag it everywhere, but I'm not too light on the small pedal either.

Get a 4.0 with a 5-speed. The automatic is only a 3-speed and shifts are quite leisurely, the 4.2 has problems with the carb and valve cover, and the 2.5 gets the same mileage as the 4.0 while being half as powerful.

>Literally, reliability problems out the God damn ass.

I actually own a yj, 1993 base model. They are seriously not that bad. The key is finding one that hasn't been flogged to death by now. They're really not as bad as they get credit for.

>Lets horde information like a baby boomer porsche forum

How about fuck you. How many Yjs have you owned at this point?