/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

>Stellaris
- Pastebin: pastebin.com/YHdisqem
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1: pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5: reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki: stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php

>Endless Legend
- Manual: cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki: endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Endless Space 2 soon

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE): well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot: multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet: hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements: pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories: mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri
Last thread: Shitty AI edition

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923296934
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for retarded sector AI

The OP pic is the only one that doesn't actually show the problem. I must be retarded.

a fucking illiterate crack addict with a gambling problem has better resource management skills than paradox AI

As someone who hasn't ever played stellaris, how bad is the sector AI?

I put them on minerals and energy and they spent all of their surplus on farms. It might be because I have respect tiles on so they just spammed farms because that is most common.

>Set AI to prioritize energy
>It builds farms over 95% of the planet instead of 99%
Th-thanks

What Ruler Title is your favorite?

Horatio

>playing the oblongheads
pfffffffffft

Celestial Emperor

Holy Roman Emperor

Which is better. Endless Space or Stellaris? Is Stellaris worth $12?

Lord General

I see the problem senpai, you didn't develop the planets before putting them in sectors.

Or you allowed redevelopment which is more retarded.

I've never won a war in stellaris and I don't know what the problem even is. Whenever somebody declares war on me, usually our fleets are pretty equivalent and only 20-50 combat units apart. Yet when they fight, the enemy tears through my fleet every time. I've tried spamming one type of ship, I've tried varying fleets, I've tried changing up the front lines and killing their economy from the back. But it feels like no matter what they can just infinitely shit out thousands of battle score fleets constantly and they always barely beat mine, I have to get my fleets like a few hundred points above theirs constantly which is a waste of time and resources when you have to rush shit ASAP to keep up with the AI's infinite economy.

And armies are another thing. The AI will constantly have boarding armies of like 30 dudes yet have two planets. I'll destroy the transport ships and another one will appear in two seconds. It becomes a constant back and forth bullshit when I can't even make armies fast enough to re-invade planets because they keep having some appear out of thin air.

I really want to get good and stop being fucking terrible at this game but it feels like a constant cycle of wanting to get good -> lose and die in really frustrating ways after sinking time in -> always play peaceful civs because I always lose and die in really frustrating ways -> never learn how the fuck the actual combat works and never get good. All I know is that there's a rock paper scissor system with weapon types but the enemy will only have lasers against my huge armored barely shielded fleets and they'll still chew through me. Dunno what to even do anymore

I'm pretty sure I let them redevelop. I just went back after not playing since release so I didn't really understand how bad it would be.

I always use custom ruler titles.
I died a little inside when in my last run as democratic fanatic purifiers it just resetted to the standard title after the first election.

Boss of all Bosses

Always remember to set your ruler title for both sexes, senpai

The way to win in Stellaris is not very exiting , you build more ships so the enemy will never have overwhelming over you

then you use rivals , NAP and independence warranties to get a friend and form a defensive pact , this usually makes the enemy AI think twice before declaring war ( you can also gift them food , the AI is often starving )

Then you need to find the sweet spot between being stronger and not too much , if you shit out multiple 100k fleets every empire around you will have 4 defensive pacts or form federations , keep the upper hand but don't over do it

Industrious is a good trait and the early +5% minerals tech that comes before robots should let you get strong early

Master of the Universe

I've never actually bothered going the violent route with space amoebas before, despite mostly playing some variation of a xenophobic or fanatically xenophobic empire.
Is it worth it over the +5% energy?

Faggotron Maximus Celeste

I'm planning an SJW playthrough where I enslave all males of my cast system species. My ruler title will be King Cuck/Yass Queen

>finally get around to checking out Realistic Ships
>this fucking mod comes out
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923296934
There's gonna be another fucking ship mod by the time I'll get off my ass and decide to check it out, won't there?

Anyone try it?

Emperor/Empress. Never been big on stupidly long titles.

Neat mod user, going to try it myself right now so no idea for now.

I think I'll settle with NSC-ISB. It was a fuckin chore to install those two and work out which mods are compatible or not, I don't really want to go through all of that again just for a different yet still vaguely similar ships.

Nope, 5% energy is better.

Democratic Xenophillic Space Peacocks or Imperial China (isolationist) Space Peacocks?

One time I got a bonus that gave a hefty 15/20% evasion bonus to my ships/ But I don't know what conditions I need to fulfill to get it consistently because usually I get the shitty damage bonus instead

OP is retarded for posting the wrong pic.

Director-General

Lord Father

Lord Pervert

depends on whether or not you're having a good day or a bad day

I'm OP. Also the person who's pic that is.

Sodomizer-in-Chief

>I've never won a war in stellaris
how is this possible? Why are you fleets getting decimated? Do you read these threads? People are always telling anons what the best weapons to use are, best ships, etc.

Maybe he's RPing some species that's really shit at space combat

well you're a double retard!

* Delete your starting defense armies.
* Set your living standards to 0.75 for the first 10 years.
* Build an Auchtocton monument, move a pop to it.
* Set construction ship to follow science ship, queue up surveying all nearby systems.
* Split your corvettes into 3 fleets, queue them to visit all nearby systems to gain Med info on them.
* Unpause, do your thing. Build mining posts ASAP. Don't neglect energy, especially in your planet. Prioritize power plant II research.
* Build another science ship as soon as you can spare. Build 2-3 corvettes as soon as you can spare (pirates).
* First tradition goes in prosperity, then trans-stellar Corp ships. Wait ~3 months before building your first colony ship.
* Third tradition goes into Expansion, it should unlock just as your first colony is almost done. Colonize again ASAP.
* Fourth tradition into +unity from capitals. Then -15% ships and buildings.

>*

Anyone using ethics rebuild?

>got back into Civ V recently
>play as Arabia so I can monopolize every luxury in the game and buy my way to victory
>peacefully minding my business, building up my cities
>don't have a very large army, my cities are pretty far from any civilization so I assume no one would waste the time trying to invade
>surprise surprise, Brazil invades anyway
>my army is massively outnumbered, but my cities are nestled in a web of rough terrain and mountains so I'm able to push their invasion out of my land with ease
>Pedro's army lay decimated, so I go in for peace talks
>despite the fact that I destroyed his invasion force, the fucker has the gall to ask for one of my cities in return for peace
>was hoping to get some gold for myself
>whatever go for peace without any catch
>the very next turn Pedro comes at me with a declaration of friendship
I remember why I hate this game.

The ethics & govs mod ? I noticed that it was updated , used to love it before 1.5

no idea of how it is now , care to post the ethics well ?

I wish civ VI didnt have shit religion and shit AI because it does so much better than V that I can't go back and play V

The things wrong with VI are crippling and ruin the game to the point where nobody fucking plays it. They just need to stop releasing piddly shit and go onto the first major dlc and overhaul dumb shit already

Is ceding a planet the only thing that generates threat?

I can't take CivVI seriously because of the art style either. Coming out from Civ 5 and how gorgeos it looked in general, I just... can't.

Actually I really love the art style in civ vi but I know its because im a style > realism fag and i'm in the minority

Options in red will cause negative opinion , cede , cleanse etc

what about the make vassal or tributary war demands? I would have thought they'd generate threat too as it's an expansion of your influence

And get shit on by some ai that actually built ~corvettes. Two colonies max and then early war.

I'm almost sure that forced vassal/Prot also causes threat , never used the tributary option so idk

What about if I invite an empire to war, or an ally, and give them ceded planets in the war goals but have no red options (cede, cleanse) and no forced vassalisation. Do I get the threat too?

>Riftborn
>colonizing most early game planets available to you from the start of the tech tree is not good for you
>minor faction pop keeps cucking you from making more of your own pop
Help, how do I make these work? So far, I've gotten the gist of every other faction

>play pacifist
>literally do nothing the entire game
>this is fun

>play pacifist
>get all the traditions and perks
>embrace militarist faction
>kill everything

all paradox games are war games.

allowing to embrace factions was a mistake

some paradox games have meaningful warfare

stellaris is just doomstacks

If the system is good enough or has good resources, just eat the paltry penalty and make more Riftborn. Approval buildings exist for a reason and there is also a law that takes from empire Science, but gives 20 to 30 Approval in exchange depending on what government type it is.

Careful management with spaceports, either sending them somewhere or just holding them there, and Chain Gang Program as that doesn't touch Riftborn pop.

only paradox game where doomstacks don't work is HoI, and it only applies to land warfare.

Whichever custom ruler title felt appropriate for my empire's flavor.

I'm preferential to Imperator, Dark Lord or Supreme Galactic Space Emperor

>Dark Lord
Is that you, xXR3AP3RXx?

Pretty much this. Doomstacks bore me to tears. There should be something like Civ 4 had where you can do massive aoe damage to large fleets, that becomes increasingly negigible the smaller the fleet gets.

there is nothing wrong with doomstacks. Crushing your opponents with huge armies is 100% realistic and historically accurate.

t. napoleon

Since we're back on the topic, what's the best way to rebalance military so that it's not just an arms race of doomstacking?

Can you do genetic modification multiple times?

>He doesn't play the Evil Empire and ham everything up
>His starting planet isn't even called the Negastar II
Fool! You cannot shame me with edge, for I have embraced it.

reduce FTL speed by ~40%
reduce planet hp by ~50%

Having multiple fleet raises the issue of micro, but that should be offset by the FTL speed nerf, the general idea is to reduce the ability of a single fleet to defend or attack a large area effectively.

Example in point: Sword of the Stars.

Its also realistic to win against a much larger fleet because of superior tactics and positioning. Except none of that really exists in this game. You can't even set up some kind of trap in a system like you can in like Sins of a solar empire or something, where you turn a single system into a death trap.

How's the entrance to my city for traffic guys? Also related, that footpath in the background has so many people walking on it most of the time. I get the feeling it's saving my shit road systems life right now. This is like the second time I've ever played skylines and last time my entrance was a deadlocked clusterfuck so I think I'm doing much better.

Whats a good third ascension perk for a militaristic hivemind?
Normally I take force projection, but the resulting army size is so huge I cant even properly fill it?
Should I maybe pick galactic contender? since the sleepers just awoke?

Exactly what I did on my second playthrough, that is going to get cramped in the future user I can tell.

Since when civilization have waifus

Man up and build more ships you whimp. Blot out the pulsars with your corvettes

Since Civ Revolution several years ago.
>implying that's attractive

whoop dee doo

>going to get cramped
Fug. How do I unfuck this problem before it happens? Bigger roads and maybe an earlier exit with a direct line to my industry to thin out the industrial traffic?

she looks very fertile

Decline.

Bigger roads may help just for a bit, but it's better to do an earlier exit for all the trucks and cars heading to the undustrial area.
(And if everything else fails just use tunnels)

Decline, then insult them.

Yeah, if you don't mind your children coming out with witch noses and Dreamworks face.

>displacement
what a fucking meme

yes

Also fix fortresses so they're actually useful.
They should be a method to stall enemy doomstacks to give your own fleets time to rendezvous to counter their doomstack.

Why.

Takes forever if it works and it may not even be working because other empires may not be allowing refugees and there's no way to know this.

the fuck is this

paradox coding at it's finest

PANIC

quality Paradox coding

So? It is a price for lack of genocidal opinion modifiers.

Space Invaders.

I had that in my very first game when the scourge invaded. I thought seeing the scourge fleet nearing the galaxy was part of the game.

First time for me it was a giant fucking amoeba and it was a mix of confusion and horror.