/stsg/ - Starsector General

Sparks are balanced

Previous Thread: >What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8a-RC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/0joobzck4kef3b4/Hammer of Ludd.7z
mega.nz/#!FMBhSDqA!a2bVDson1GjUCZ-H2q5ScWaaOPVllU5UZ3qWeRbsRqc
s3.amazonaws.com/fractalsoftworks/preview/starsector_install-0.8.1a-nodetect1.exe
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12372.msg210530#msg210530
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It has universal for now
I'll cannibalize some parts from vanilla and then see if it works. I didn't attempt it for now.
If you change the sprite

It'd be good if it could use the fourshot hammer torpedoes.
Ludd loves his hammers.

ethical weapons

post em

Anyone have a clue when 8.1 will drop?

What's my best bet for finding Salamander pods? Hegemony military?

any military market or black market

they'll never be on the open, I think

Will enemy ships have a higher chance of being recoverable if I use only emp weapons on them?

no but they should

teach me then. Because all I see is a shit hammerhead kitted for energy in a way that you may as well be using multiple frigates or part of a cruiser for instead.
They're made out of fucking paper.

IMAGES FUCKING LOADED LET'S HOPE POSTING IS BACK UP TOO.

>950 ordnance points
Is this just a meme item and you can't ever even use it?

It's all about synergy. Sunder's ship system goes well with burst-damage weapons, so Tachyon Lance, Auto-pulse, or Phase Lance. Personally I go with three Phase Lances (undersize the large slot) with Advanced Optics and ITU

I can already salvage everything, but I only have a 20% bonus. Can I get that bonus over 100%, or am I fine with running salvage gantries om some of my tankers/freighters untill I hit 100% dead on?

Tach Lance + Grav Beam is masterrace on the Sunder.

The bonus is capped by the salvage site difficulty. So you'll only have 20% bonus on a 20% difficulty site even if your fleet has more salvage mods

So just in case, I'll want a 100% bonus.

What's more efficient? Putting salvage gantries on spare non-combat ships, or buying Salvage Rigs outright?

How can I mod a faction to be more hostile toward other factions? I have Dassault and they are only hostile toward Diktats. They also seem to list very few missions.

Rigs are shit, use Sheperds or put mods on your haulers. Use even better ships like Lynx or that Dassault-Mikoyan one (I forgot the name) if you have II or DM

*Lynx-S

Guys, where do I find com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.hullmods.RecoveryShuttles?

It looks like a standard path in the starfarer_obf.jar archive, but that's missing the .api.impl etc. folder.

>Me: Hey guys, wanna se pather colossus?
>Veeky Forums: nope.avi
>upload failed
why

Are the same user who upload his Path mod with Path Hammerhead, Mora and modded Mule?

Nope, but if you have sprites I can make them

Oh, it's already a mod. nvm
I'm finishing that colossus, I just have to balance it and make sure it spawns somewhere

please respond

mediafire.com/file/0joobzck4kef3b4/Hammer of Ludd.7z

You can check file structure and copy what you need.
Anyway adding ship to spawn in fleets and markets you need go to data/world/factions
and choose Path
then look either Large combat freighters or Large ships and add it.
{
"shipRoles":{
"combatLarge":{
"collosus_path":5,
"fallback":{"combatMedium":2},
},
},
},

And it should appear in fleets and on Path markets.

I really don't agree with putting a phase lance in the Sunder's large. The whole point of the sunder is the large energy slot, and putting a medium instead of a large really gimps the Sunder, especially in larger battles where range is more important. I definitely do put 2 phase lances on a Sunder, but I wouldn't put a third in place of the large slot.

Get the console commands mod

what

I've already added colossus-p as large combat freighter, but I think it won't really suffice. Is it ethical to add it as large combat freighter to luddic church too?

Sure just add SO version for the path with all normal path not good mods and normal no SO version for the Church. Just get it pure green for Church.
You know how to make skins and versions of existing ships?

Are you retarded mate? Get the mod that allows console commands.

Are you sure you understand what I'm trying to do?

I'm an HIL guy. I like the sustained.

Making skins is easier than making sprites (to me) and I stole this sprite from previous thread.

Perfect.
Do this and share.
Path and Church need some love.

Lion's Guard variants when

There is ones just need update.

Yes you're trying to change the relation of a faction towards another faction. Console commands mod allows you to do that.

No, I'm trying to make a faction more hostile toward other factions. Not the same as setting the relations yourself.

Someone need to write Coldsteel copypasta with Neutrino faction.

100 IPs is an impressive number for a dead EA game. I wonder if spam on /v/ attracted more people.

Probably.
Its still dying slowly because the fag I mean Alex do not release 8.1 and we do not get nax in close future.

> implying based alex isnt going to release outposts with 8.1 and implement nex into the base game
alex is the most ethical person, he woudnt hold out on us for no reason
right?

>looters and artefact updated
>but not blackrock, mayorate or chingchong
why even play

at least interstellar federation is looking a little aliver

>why even play
all the other good faction mods?

What kind of file extension is the vmparams file supposed to be?

it's just a text file

magic ones

nevermind I was just being a fucktard and tried to edit the file in the wrong place

Fucking Veeky Forums won't let me upload pic
mega.nz/#!FMBhSDqA!a2bVDson1GjUCZ-H2q5ScWaaOPVllU5UZ3qWeRbsRqc
1. It may be unbalanced
2. There might be too many Colossi, but I'm not sure
3. File structure is terrible, I know

looks good man

1. As I just learned, it's from .8.1 preview and it's going to be in vanilla.
2. Right next to it is pirate colossus with hangar bay, huh

where is this 8.1 preview can you link?

s3.amazonaws.com/fractalsoftworks/preview/starsector_install-0.8.1a-nodetect1.exe

that look fishy

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12372.msg210530#msg210530

>Always see people bitching about Neutrino being OP
>Had it on my game since the update
>Tried using some of their ships in my fleet and they where shit
>Always getting shit on by basic enemies, or too slow to keep up with the fight
>Only thing of value where the strike craft
>Come up against a Neutrino bounty fleet on a new game
>lel should be easy
>Watch as half my fleet gets decimated by some destroyer with a giga space shotgun thing
>Outranged beams
>Could overload my rag tag destoyer fleet ships in 1 hit
>Could then 1/2 hit hull through armour with another shot
>Completely negated my fighter/bomer superiority because the massive area its shots filled wiped entire wings

Hahahaha, oh wow.
Yeah I see what people mean now.
Perfectly balanced.tm

>cant ever get bounties if the enemy is LP because they all retreat
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUKC FUKC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>waiting for 8.1
>installing java dev tools for my all indie factions mod on dad's work computer

wew, let's hope nothing happens.

In order to hunt the LP you need a sniper ship, mark out who the key target is in the group, then focus on them and let the others fuck off. You also have to cut your fleet size down to lure them in

the bad part about it is when you kill the fleet, then the reserve fleet comes in, you kill one and they flee, and it goes on like this until you reach the freighters

consolecommands->forcedeployall

Yeah, its not perfect, but i take this as teh lesser evil

You only need to kill one faggot. Deploy SO frigs on flanks, give chase with fast carriers and frigs, missiles work too.

oh holy crap hahah

pssh

When you die, and you will
and you face Peter at the Gates of Heaven
he will ask you
DID YOU PLAY ETHICALLY?

Not if you won
not if you had fun
and not if you were any damn good at it
but if you were, and always will be

E T H I C A L

The Ethical Nation was born. Not by force, not by rebellion, not by greed, not by curiosity but by the divine will of morality. The path can be hard, the path can be lonely, but fear not my star traveler. Because your soul will never be alone, and you will always have the warm lovely pressence of the ethical angels guarding you. Forever and ever, until the last day and beyond.

Unethical code 0.1:
Affliction
Hyperion
Tempest
Harbinger
Doom

Sparks
Talons

What if

we took the entire core worlds

and put them in one solar system instead of 30

game would crash from too many debris fields and derelict ships

If you make distances super big and travel very slow and make a lot of interesting stations and places and moons and planets and it will basically be a firefly ripoff then MAYBE, just maybe, it will be a great game.

but Peter, the templers keep kicking my ass with their OP ships and weapons.
Cant I at least use the stuff I salvage from them through battles where I lose 10 frigates to 1?

That would be around 80 stations and planets.

That would be hmmm 0.6.2, I think?

No. All mods are UNETHICAL.

>Go against a pirates with a Dominator
>Early game, have small fleet
>Ship is fuck huge
>Doesn't seem to do jack shit, maybe we just overwhelmed him properly
>Disable and salvage the Dominator
>Try it out with the default assault loadout
>Can't turn for shit, main weapons are hardpoints
>Impossible to hit smaller guys, other fatties still have no problem out maneuvering into your blindspots
>Effectively useless
>What_Is_This_Garbage.jpg
>Assume the ship is just trash and proceed to mothball and forget about it for real week
>Week later have a real fleat, Onslaughts, so on, infinite moneys etc
>Experimenting with load outs, remember I have the Dominator
>Remember an user said Safety Overrides on a Dominator is fun
>Slap that mod and the biggest Needlers on it
>Fly around bullshit fast, turn on a dime and instantly delete shields
>Then dunk your missile rack into them, become death destroyer of fleets
>Muh dick
Wowie this ship is crazy good with the right setup. I'm really wondering why the default loadouts are such garbage for it though, like this ship is practically unplayable without Safety Overrides and Aux Thrusters slapped on it.

Only if you use ATX too and stick an Arondight Accelerator on a Flounder to make a Mudskipper mk3.

Will I get more wAIfucores if I bring 4 Salvage Rigs?

Also, Salvage Rig (LP) mod when?

>not knowing the Domidevastator fit

filthy plebian.

god fucking damn I hate officer level up lotto
such dumb RNG bullshit that has no reason to exist

>visit diables home system for some ship salvaging for my collection
>system happens to be right next to antioch
>the entire system happens to be one big debris field

Jesus christ the entire screen was just debris

Oh also the AI seems to be genuinely retarded when it comes to piloting Dominators, or playing aggressively in general, especially anything with burn drives.
>Raises their shields for no reason
>Slowly inches into range
>Overload because of the shield
or
>Enemy shields down
>Doesn't fire rockets and backs off instead

I can understand the AI not wanting to active a burn drive to secure a kill or something but there's a point were they're just useless with the tools you give them. More customization to the AI would be nice, like custom priorities and trigger events to accommodate them to the situation or role you need them to perform. Also, do the captain behaviors like cautious, reckless and so on have any noticeable effect on their actions? I've tried placing a reckless captain into one but didn't seem to change much.

Why is the Heron the best carrier?

because its fast and have the best burst/damage of all.

Drover and Heron are the only carriers anyone should fly

It's nice that you can tell it to retreat and it can run effectively, but having ships like the Odyssey which can fight and launch fighters is always going to be better.

In 0.7.2 you could solo entire medium sized fleets with the Gust class light cruiser for Diable because it was essentially just Medusa that traded its phase skimmer for a TPC, really good PD, and a flight deck.

Why is it so damn impossible to find a Valkyrie transport? I've already upgraded my freighter and tanker to destroyers, but my personnel count is lagging behind.

It's playable, but it needs a lot of babysitting and needs a very clearly defined role in the fleet that focuses on its strengths and cuts down on its weaknesses. Generally this means you have either fighters or frigates to take out the small fry and give the Dominator time to just wade in and soak up damage, primarily targeting cruisers and capitals.

>but having ships like the Odyssey
>going to be better

you mean the half ship 2.0 now with 1(one) fighter wing? its shit, just like the other 2 battlecruisers Conquest and Legion. There are cruisers far better than them

Legion is fucking great idiot

The draw of a Conquest now in my eyes is that anything that can catch you in tactical is weaker than you. You can use a Conquest in a smaller fleet than you'd use a Paragon or an Onslaught to blow up traders while you boost away from those ships in the retreat field.

The Odyssey doesn't have maneuvering jets, but it has large energy mounts instead as well as better PD. It's also way faster than either the Paragon or the Onslaught even when it's not fitted with hullmods. You can build an Odyssey to do what the Conquest does in that sense.

>Scrap together a few D frigates.
>Bounty-hunt a few days to get an Enforcer.
>Go on a first expedition in a Yellow system.
>Derelict Paragon flying near the wormhole.
Okay, I suppose that playthrough is already finished.

nice

what mod?

>that weak slow fatass easy to flank piece of shit
sure thing kiddo.

or just get a Aurora and outmaneuver everyone nuking them to oblivion.

You mean the ships? Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering, the best faction mod there is.

>I can't position therefore ship bad

>tell a ship to capture an objective
>shields up before any enemies can be seen
>leaves the point as soon as it gets there because some shitty D Lasher appeared a screen away

What ship did you give the orders to, user?