/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

the arena edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558
pastebin.com/mumxUJbr)
pastebin.com/79spdhhH
pastebin.com/2V1kr5Cg
youtube.com/watch?v=4qXvEzfsL5k
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Human#Starting_a_Human_Fortress
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tourney?

I am in the caverns. I want to know if there's any kind of gimmick for sealing off the watery edges without just draining them and actually going down there.

You have problems with sleep or perhaps the ghost of your former spouse haunting your bed

well i have just the solution for you

I present the Spirit Charm a brand new innovative product that will send those pesky ghost flying out of the room
It made of the bones of a dead eon that traps the spirit of said demon inside the skull shaped dome, releasing high intensity necrotic wavelengths that only spirits can pick up.

This will clear out your bedroom of spirits and guarantee you a good night sleep

Buy now and get our special graveyard hour offer

>Spirits might appear in your neighbors room, absolutely not connected to this product at all.

Reminder that this is a thing from last thread: A script to let you alter the updating period at will without having to fuck around gm-editor and guessing what date you will get from year_tick 178300 or whatever.

Magma dropped on them.

Can't wait for happy merchant arc so i could do this ingame.

Modanon here, posting all of my works as usual:

dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

Hobbit race mod is done and i will upload it in the morning after ive done some testing to make sure its bug free, for now im going to sleep.

Going to also spend the weekend with gf so dont expect alot of progress being made until the next monday. I'll still update the mods if any bugs arise and will try to help if you are struggling with your own mods though.

Fuck, now I have no reason to not try and fix names.lua after doing my own widget stuff (pastebin.com/mumxUJbr) and getting a bit more comfortable with the quirks therein.

merchant arc + myth arc will be great.

we already had a caravan arc, though. that was 0.34. that's when we got the nice big cities.

alright, asexual chicken guy
do I just put a door on the entrance and restrict it?

also, do the things I circled mean they've acquired them?

>alright, asexual chicken guy

All jokes aside a restricted door should be enough to let the chickens fug in peace.

So I've been following my dwarfs and their livelyhoods in my fort but haven't found their designated place for defecation.

>Why can't dwarfs poop?

there's also two worms and a snail in their room, should I send in the cats to kill them?

They shit on the streets

No, they shit in the bushes, you uncultured swine.

heh, this kobold brothel mod is hitting all the right spots for me

>asexual chicken guy
Fuck why is that hilarious?

Means they're currently fulfilled uniform conditions.

They should kill them I think?

Holy shit I thought you were just japing me with the animal sexuality thing.

Alright how's this for a fort concept: embark in a jungle, scour the surface and caverns and search for a mythical gay frog and capture it.

RL storytime: Once, I was sitting in my kitchen looking out the window and I saw two squirells mating. I giggled a bit.

AND THEN THEY SWITCHED PLACES

That's a "well, goddamn" moment there.

>brothel mod

HNNNNG

They've been in there for a month
also some louse, ticks, and slug now.

no really, send help

The insects and worms are because the chickens are scratching them up to eat. No need to worry.

I'm worrying because they've been in a pasture with nest boxes for a year and haven't claimed them.

Any way to maximize the amount of lakes that occur in a world?

think I overdid it a bit

n-nevermind, they just got claimed
weird

What sort of lakes?

pastebin.com/79spdhhH

Any kind, I want a comfy lakeside fishing village. Cliffs might be nice too, but I'm not too picky.

Shit man, what's with the filename? It doesn't even resemble Beksinski one bit.

That one there is pretty good for that, as is this: pastebin.com/2V1kr5Cg

Got river cliffs, cozy little lake nooks, secluded spots, spots in the middle of everyone.

Is there any way to get logs out of my river?

yeah, roll until you get one.

it reminded me of em

Very, nice, I see at least one peak tile adjacent to a lake. Thanks user.

Dam the river

>want to learn how to do something
>46 minute tutorial on youtube
>a short read on the wikipedia can teach you the same thing

Np yo, there should be some nice shit in those since I tried to max out the interesting geography.

L I N K

What are your favorite megabeasts modded or vanilla? I have a soft spot for hydras.

Rocs are my favourite thematically, but there's nothing more satisfying than watching a dragon vaporize an entire siege in one tick.

>Dam the river
With logs.

Messing around with DF Hack for 43.05, and every time I try to spawn in hematite using create-item, the game crashes.
Anyone know what's causing this?

Hematite boulders?

createitem BOULDER INORGANIC:HEMATITE

Alternatively

createitem BAR INORGANIC:IRON (or STEEL/ADAMANTINE/etc)

What's the most comfy above ground fort layout?

Thanks

Uh... shit I got nothing else to really contribute.

Make sure to only assign a good warbeast to your top squads. The lower ranking squads need to earn their merit on their own first and look in envy at the top brass. Also Never have any protection for the haulers, because if they die that only means they weren't hauling fast enough.

whatever you like

>when the outpost liason arrives and it's only bad news
I'm already in the Age of the Goblin come on man holy shit. I think there's literally only about 4-5 dwarf sites left in the world.

I've got both Tetrahedrite and Hematite in this embark, how do I fuck the Goblins up?

WITH BLOOD AND IRON, user

retire for a bit and fight goblins in adventure mode

>tfw no Polish Centaur Mercs, or robots.

Armok will send you a sign.

>robots
magic allowing you to bring statues alive when?

A door doesn't make any difference if your chickens aren't hetero. You'll never get more chickens from them.

I had a hen that wasn't asexual, just happened that 3 of the 4 I embarked with were asexual.

chickens will claims pastures in the open with no problems.

the deal is forbidding the nests so nobody takes the eggs.

chickens are also coded to graze and unearth insect vermin like worms, then eat them

I should do a poultry farm forst one of these days

youtube.com/watch?v=4qXvEzfsL5k

>chickens will claims pastures in the open with no problems.
>
>the deal is forbidding the nests so nobody takes the eggs.

They spent like 4 months with unclaimed nestboxes in that room.
I installed doors and forbid dwarves from opening them and all of the sudden I have hens sitting on eggs on nest boxes.

that's weird desu.

I installed four nests on the open with four chickens and a rooster. got around 200 eggs. the fort is 2 years old and they rarely claim now, thought they are 20 squares away on the other side of the pasture. i guess it's random, or based on proximity.

The fortress attracted no migrants this season.

O-oh.

your civ is ded

You're drawing a connection between unrelated things. Egg layers will lay eggs irrespective of the proximity of dwarves. Then, if you have any food stockpile that accepts your eggs, any dwarf with the food hauling labor will come and take them away, at which point the nestbox becomes unclaimed again. This is one of those recurring newb "problems", and it's resolution is always that the player is either expecting eggs too often or just not noticing that the eggs are being taken. Food hauling is a pretty high priority job, so it happens pretty quickly.

I j-just traded w-with them, t-though.

I'm not entirely convinced, as I watched the hens for a week or so and they remained huddled in the corner on the far side of the room from the nest boxes, and now I can see them interacting with them.

What did you sell them, dirt?

DED

does size affect the amount of water needed to cause a creature to swim? for example would a hydra be able to stand and walk normally in one tile of 7/7 water while a gobbo would need to swim? I want to create a pit where I can drop prisoners a few z-levels into where the water softens their falls but still injures and cripples them, then the hydra in the pit tears them up while they thrash helplessly.

I gave them some shitty crafts for a handful of barrels.
N-no, s-stop saying t-that.

Migrants are attracted by wealth and retreat from death and danger.
What kind of squalorous pestilential hovel are you managing, that you could attract no migrants?

Unless all of them are already dead.

No idea, I thought we had made some wealth for the Mountainhome, but I guess not enough.

They'll stay on the nest boxes until either the eggs hatch or a dwarf comes and takes the eggs. That's how it works. What has watching them for a week got to do with it?

They didn't touch the nestboxes during that time frame.

IMPOVERISHED

Please be considerate of our conditions, oh exuberant one.

Doesn't make a difference. Only swimming skill. Most animals have a natural skill that allows them to swim without learning how, whereas sapients have to come by it honestly, so your idea would work in most cases.

Egg production happens a few times a year, watching them for a week doesn't mean anything. This falls under the "expecting eggs too often" resolution.

Okay, cheers then.

Toil and grow strong.
Progress begets progress, and failure more failure.

What I'm saying is, feed your kitchen ingredients until your cook is drowning in masterwork food dishes.

did chickens claim forbidden nesst? I can't remember

attracting no migrants generally means that you fucked up (ie destroyed the caravan)

the other explanation, your civ is about to go extinct. I don't remember how caravans are coded but I think you get them until the very last dwarf off your civ "dies", except it won't die unless you crash your fort, in older version if your civ went extinct you were on your own

[SWIMS_INNATE]

>(ie destroyed the caravan)
I don't believe I did that, and it's now summer, so we'll see if something good happens.

>I can't remember
Me neither. If I don't want eggs collected I just tweak the stockpile settings to disallow them, it feels like a more elegant solution than locked doors or forbidding items. I wouldn't assume they will, but you can test it pretty easily by either doing the stockpile thing or isolating your egglayers and then forbidding the nest boxes until you have one fewer unforbidden box than females available to lay eggs.

[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece sand pear wood ring!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece ginkgo wood crown!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Unib Takùthïteb has created a masterpiece schist amulet!
[migrants][migrants] The fortress attracted no migrants this season.

Good.
Well, we'll see if the caravan comes in autumn then.

How do I stop being lonely?

what kind of shitpost is this, you're never lonely if you have dorfs

>invite someone to join my adventure
>I'd rather not
>tfw that's what everyone says

How do I play fortress mode as elves?

[seasons][seasons] Autumn has come.
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece sand pear wood amulet!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece larch crown!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Unib Takùthïteb has created a masterpiece phyllite amulet!
[weather][weather] It has started raining.
[masterpiece][Other/All] Unib Takùthïteb has created a masterpiece cobaltite ring!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece apricot wood bracelet!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Unib Takùthïteb has created a masterpiece schist amulet!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece peach wood scepter!
[masterpiece][Other/All] Unib Takùthïteb has created a masterpiece gabbro amulet!
[weather][weather] The weather has cleared.
[animals][grown] An animal has grown to become a Stray Dog.
[masterpiece][Other/All] Rovod Thosbutmebzuth has created a masterpiece ginkgo wood earring!
[weather][weather] It has started raining.
[migrants][migrants] The fortress attracted no migrants this season.

>being a disgusting elf
Try using the [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] tag like it says on the humans wiki page.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Human#Starting_a_Human_Fortress

all races playable has some fun limiters for elves, huamns and gobbos

other, adding site_controllable will let you play them just as if they were dwarves

Fun fact: you can recruit tons of people past your adventurer's fame level if you entertain them in some way first. I don't even think you have to be that good, just ask them to join as entertainers and they're suddenly up for it.

no caravan? the I gues sit's time to kiss the civ goodbye

what does the civilizaiton tab say?

meant to reply to you lonely anons

Will other elves get mad about my wood?

yep

only thing that changes with basic site controllable tag is ethics and lack of moods and tantrums

so by example you can butcher intelligents as elves and gobbos. but not much else, bad thoughts for say, felling a tree have to be done manually

>used to be active in /dfg/
>made df videos and had an active audience
>havent played in over two years
>started an adventure mode runthrough today

feels good to be home lads. Loved the experience so much i even made a new video

>Watch LP
>People always using slopes instead of stairs

Am I missing something?

[STRANGE_MOODS]

Make sure you add lots of reactions or you'll be fucked on gear, there's no reaction to make grown shit currently I don't think so you'd have to hack something together maybe?

Also sapient butchering is borked regardless of ethics.

Welcome back to the fold.