BMW and reliability

After much research, automotive engineers have found a way to make E46s reliable.

What do you think Veeky Forums?

I think they are fine from the factory. Stop being poor and do your scheduled maintenance on time.

Or better yet, look up the expected lifetime of each part of the car and replace them shortly before, instead of waiting until roadside failure to replace.

like an aircraft?

>they never break if you just replace parts that aren't broken before they break!

>what is preventative maintenance
>what is scheduled maintenance
>what are wear items
>changing your timing belt and spark plugs before they go bad is for chumps

how are you even a mechanic

Are you possibly retarded?

In other news, the E36 continues to be dead set reliable and superior to its younger brother.

No. The E46 is superior to the E36 in every way. The e36 looks old and shitty while the e46 looks mostly modern.

So wait...is it wrong wheel drive now?

>Being this wrong

It is a mystery how you can be this overwhelmingly retarded.

>mfw a tiny Honda 4 banger takes up more room than a V8

I agree, the statement to which you replied to saying that E36s are dead set reliable and superior is overwhelmingly retarded

Naw, ain't nobody got time for that...

Though I was surprised to get 90K miles out of the original water pump in my '08 535.

It's a little odd, my BMW's (with the exception of a '00 540) have been some of the most reliable cars I've ever had. Even a beat to shit rode hard and put away wet '98 750IL. Put 40K miles on that car before the shitty hacked together cooling hoses died. Gave zero fucks about fixing it and sold it cheap.

And now I want another one...

What do you guys think I should get e46 or e90?
both are 320d and got like 170k km

I'm fun driving a 330i with 300k km and a blown head gasket for 6 months now, not to mention my dad daily drives it. If that isn't fucking reliable, I don't know what the fuck is

why won't you replace the gasket

BMW gets better reliability scores than Honda though.

Because it's a 20-hour job and most shops just replace the engine.
That said, the fact that it even has a blown head gasket is astonishing.
t. BMW tech.

Neither. BMW makes terrible diesel engines.

>terrible diesel engines
>t. BMW tech
What the fuck
M57 is one of the most reliable BMW engines ever built
t. Mercedes tech/BMW fanboy

By taking the front clip and putting onto a civic shit box?

Ahh ty user. I knew the engine bay looked off.

>BMW makes terrible diesel engines.
???
what

Maybe it's just our customers, then. The only time we get BMW diesels is when they fail and they always fail hard. We never see them for maintenance the same way we see VW and Mercedes diesels.

Are any of the modern Mercedes diesels reliable like the old ones were? I want to buy one for my wife but people keep telling me about them blowing up at like 80k

They don't blow up but they do have some retarded design flaws, the best of which is having the variable intake actuator mounted directly underneath the turbo so when oil inevitable drips out of the turbo inlet it falls straight onto the actuator and eventually kills it.
It takes about 3 hours to replace and you need 3 tiny baby hands to do the job.
They also had a problem in the mid-late 2000s with porous block castings that would just ooze coolant. The solution was to replace the entire engine but they only covered it under the standard warranty so anybody who buys one now is SOL.
These are all issues on the 3.0L V6 diesels. The I5 and I6 diesels are fine. You're not going to get OM617 levels or unkillability but they're nothing to sneeze at.

As a owner of M47(136HP) I have to say. I think everything was broken before, but never the engine itself. People told me that M47 are unreliable