Want lightweight sports car

>want lightweight sports car
>possible HCCI miata over the horizon
>base supra might be the hotter gt86 everyone wanted

should i just buy a 2009+ cayman s now or wait? i've already waited like 3 years for a... br-z sti which is why i can afford a 987.2 cayman s lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ye2Fn62xDc
youtube.com/watch?v=t5qGAasccK8
youtube.com/watch?v=jyd5mfwMLIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd wait if I were you, the used car will always be there but you'll be kicking yourself if the Supra/Miata turns out to be really good

sigh, looks like it's gonna be another year of driving my shitbox then

If you're not joking about the shitbox, why don't you just buy a cheap NA or NB Miata to keep you entertained for the time being? They can be had for around $3000 USD, depending on where you live obviously.

my shitbox is an NB miata, i've been driving this thing for too damn long

>waiting three years for the brz sti instead of spending three years using the near unlimited aftermarket to make the brz of your dreams
are you retarded

I don't want to fuck with modifying a car. I know people who have gone down this route and the headache it causes actually affected their lives.

In the 3 years I've been waiting I've saved enough to where I can outright buy a cayman S with cash and still have money in the bank. So no, I don't think I'm retarded.

The HCCI Miat is most likely to be around 2024 at the earliest, unless the ND generation is only 4 years long, but I don't think that's likely. Supra is going to be a pigfat automatic-only clusterfuck, and is still a year or two away from release. The 987.2 is a very, very good car, better than the 981 and maybe the 718.

must be weird being an absolute pussy.

aint nothing wrong with modifying cars if you know what youre doing.

If you don't know what you're doing then you run into headaches

NBs can't be shitboxes if you keep up with maintenance. You have been keeping up with maintenance, haven't you?

>NB miata
>shitbox

wow you are dumber than I thought. There are so many things you can do with that chassis. such a large aftermarket

youtube.com/watch?v=9ye2Fn62xDc

youtube.com/watch?v=t5qGAasccK8

youtube.com/watch?v=jyd5mfwMLIY

but since you're too much of a massive pussy to modify it then never mind

>NB
>shitbox..

M8 I fucking drive an autotragic Chevy cavalier sedan..
I DRIVE A SHITBOX.

Ignore the faggots about the miata not being a shitbox and their gay little dick modding. They just want your peener.

I too was in your place. I still waited for longer and now have much more money for higher tiered cars. Its annoying and not really wise.

The cayman is definitely a nice choice. However if i remember the pre facelift has a big problem that got solved with the faceloft. Something that can cause the engine to blow.
The design however never felt satisfiying to me. It only was the rear lights, they kinda looked girlish to me.
Also since engine is in the middle, i can only guess that if something needs to be replaced itll be a nice big sum. Or hard long work on your end. Not sure though

Where did you hear about hcci miata

Sure I can throw ohlins on it, have it sit on 6ul's wrapped with PS2's, put an FM big brake kit on it, bolt on every brace FM has, spruce up the interior with an Rspeed gauge cluster and recaro seats and swap in a lightly built k24 with a kit from kmiata.

Or I can just get a cayman S

Or be a dumbass and spend way too much money on N/A bp build I guess.

Everyone likes to think they know what they're doing when modifying cars, but the truth is unless you work on cars as a profession, you almost always spend more than twice what you expect on project cars and the result is always half as reliable as you'd hope it'd be. And that's if you're lucky.

If you're so gung ho about modifying cars, than be my guest, do it faggot. But it's not for everyone and it's certainly not for me as I believe my time is best used elsewhere.

>straight 6
>turbo charged
>in the year of our lord 2017 where everything is too damn heavy
>330 hp
Meh. Might as well find a used m2.

987.2 (2009+) is when they fixed the IMS issue. The cayman s is girly compared to the 911, but whatever I'm use to driving girly cars.

No media outlet specifically stated that HCCI is coming to the ND, but if they put it in the 3 (which they will do) then I'm thinking it would certainly go on the ND as well.

Hah! That's New Britain!

You ever driven a Cayman S, OP?

Just a heads up, it's sort of mediocre. It feels like a 370Z about 90% of the time. The only time it doesn't is from a standstill into a corner, like at a stop sign turning right or left, and when you're laying down lots of throttle.

They ride much higher than a BRZ/FRS/86, they feel heavier (because they are) and the visibility is much worse.

Just for reference, cars I've owned in chronological order: E36 M3, 370Z, 135i, and currently 2017 86.

I wanted a Cayman S to replace my 135i, but it felt too similar to the 370Z. So I drove a 996 and a 997, and those were appreciably better and different from normal cars, but honestly not worth the cost of entry and cost of IMS replacement on pre-06 cars.

Wound up with a 2017 86, with a warranty. Maybe in a few years I'll look into Porsches again, but I'm not really in love with them like I was before I drove them.

Don't be fooled, the Cayman isn't as light and nimble you'd think.

You aren't noticing the 100-200 (I've seen actual figures of Caymans at 2950 and the BRZ averaging 2800 via many internets posts) pound difference between a Cayman and a BRZ when you're driving, promise. You will notice that sitting in either of those are a 100% improvement over sitting in a modern Z though. Those things are just such trash

Road clearance between the two is an inch, give or take, favouring the Cayman, actual seat height is probably very similar.

The 986 can run circles around everything you've listed and would only lose in raw acceleration due to Porsche neutering the Boxster and Cayman engines.

IMS replacements weren't nearly as bad a problem as they're made out to be, and just pay the extra grand when you do a clutch and get an upgraded retrofit kit if you're that worried.

Oh, also, something something you're a busriding faggot

amidoinitrite

Unrelated but what were your closing thoughts on the 135i? Been having a look at them recently

You honestly think a BRZ with an SC or turbo running conservative boost is going to be more of a headache than an 8 year old Cayman? Caymans are good cars but they usually see some pretty hard miles and they aren't really designed to go high mileage
I was buying some BRZ parts from a guy locally who bought one of the very first launch models and put on the Jackson SC right when it came out and he's had no problems dailying from day 1.

The 86 wasn't too heavy m8. I feel like they can keep the weight down in the supra (especially with the RC, LC, and 6/8 series acting as GT cars for Toyota and BMW) but only time will tell ofc

WRONG