Looking for a good first car for up to 2000 Euros...

Looking for a good first car for up to 2000 Euros, my priorities are good fuel economy and the lowest possible maintenance costs.
Not much else really, don't care about the styling or the brand, or standard equipment as long as it has AC and the basic safety kit.

So far the first gen Yaris with the 1.3l petrol seems to cover all the bases, it should be extremely reliable and the parts appear to be cheap.
The other car I'm eyeing is the Honda Jazz with either 1.2l or 1.4l petrol.
Which would you chose between the two, and do you have any other suggestions?

Forget about the Toyota and Honda Jizz, picrel car is everything you'd ever need.

Pros: Fuel efficient, you get a nice arm, chest and leg workout when steering and pressing pedals, enjoying the bitter looks of normies getting overtaken by you at astounding 90km/h top speed.
Cons: none

Fuck AC and basic safety, get a Toyota Starlet they are hektik

Oh, I forgot to say that I have one for sale for only 50 euro

four Twingos

The Honda Jazz is a lot more spacious than the Yaris (and any other hatch) thanks to the raised roof, clever packaging and rear seats that fold away completely.

Other than that there isn't much between these two.

As you said: Reliable,cheap to run, not lacking in any of the basics... way better than anything made in italy or france.

Just buy the best (condition) car you can find, wether it's a Jazz or Yaris

>you might find a bargain Jazz with CVT, if you can deal with the noise go for it. Fuel economy and reliabilty are equal to the 5 speed

>getting a toyota or an honda in Europe
>expecting low maintenance costs
You got memed.
Buy european, you fag.

>way better than anything made in italy or france.
Better in what, exactly?
The Yaris is atrocious to drive, the Jazz is literally an elder-mobile.

>nipboxes in Europe
Yeah no.
Get some VAG 1.2 MPi cuckbox (Fabia, Ibiza, Polo) or a 1.3 Multi-Jet Opel or Fiat.

He wants a small petrol. Europeans can't into small petrols.

Why not? The only issue I can see is rust.

>Europeans can't into small petrols
serious? The 205GTI is an all time great small petrol, and Ford Europe have made some great ones as well. The Fiesta ST is basically a European car.

You could get a solid '01-'03 Skoda Fabia

That's not what the OP is looking for.
Besides, by small I mean yuro-small. 1 to 1.4 liters or so

Lmao m8, look up the A segment cars. The aygo/c1/107 came and still come with .7 and .9L turbo i3's.

>fiat
Punto has a 1.4 i4

wont beat the yaris desu. I wanted an automatic and those start at 2k for ~2000 yaris.
Honda jazz is also a good option.
Just don't take it in diesel.
This comes from someone who has friends in a japanese car service in europe. They mostly repair german cars or diesel japanese cars because those petrol toyotas are fucking immortal. What I got was a 2001 chrysler neon 2.0 automatic for 600 euro. Also a decent car and I'm in love with it.

More expensive to service, weaker aftermarket. If something shits itself for good in your car, it's extremely easy to source used parts for VAG cars, including major items like replacement doors, complete engines etc.

or germany. The krauts make horrifying shit after 1996 especially diesels.

>automatic 2000 yaris
>paying any money at all for this

Yurop sure as fuck can into small petrols, shit like VAG's 1.2 MPI or Renault's 1.2 in 8v or 16v (or even 16v turbo) form are basic as fuck and will run for ages with basic maintenance.

The maintenance costs on european cars, much like diesel car ''fuel saving'' will break your bank when (not if) something goes wrong.

In what Romanian village must you live to think that Yaris or Jazz parts aren't cheap and abundant?
i3 engines are garbage. I'm not saying Europeans don't produce small petrol engines, I'm just saying that they're shit when compared to Japanese ones

I'm kinda american in terms of mentality and overall mindset. I also live in a big city which has tons of semi highways and horrifying traffic, very few small streets. I wanted an automatic car that wont break JUST CAUSE, and that is hard to find in europe regarding older cars ;/
well lucky me with my neon.

Funny, because the engine in the 107/108/C1 is sourced from Toyota. They 107/C1/Aygo was a collbaorative project between PSA and Toyota.

agree.
In addition- those toyotas wont fucking break. There is a reason it costs more than a same year mercedes/bmw on average while being an absolute shitbox tier car.

Hey man the Japs aren't saints either.
Lemme guess these engines make like 50hp right?

Between 60hp (for the lowest-end, earliest ones) up to like 130hp for the 1.2 16v turbo.

2000€ shitbox won't be 'extremely reliable' regardless of what you buy.
>automatic
Literally why?

At best something like 50kw. Okay I guess thats acceptable for a piece of shit plastic shitbox but holy fuck those low displacement engines and european cars in general are the essence of throwaway shit.
My friend has a small ngo and he needed a few trucks- a fucking 1995 vw transporter costs more than a 2005 one cause they still run and their engines are at least repairable. The only way any reasonable person could like modern european cars is a.being a silverspoon kid who gets a leased mercedes on his 18th birthday b.a faggot who believes the marketing scams and has never paid a visit to a local mechanic to see 5 year old VAGs and BMWs with rusted away undersides and doors.

Stop using mom-logic.
A well maintained used car that is known for being reliable to start with has all the potential to be solid af

probably because like me, he doesnt like droping the clutches and gears in a traffic jam, also it is not a fucking 300hp sportscar to profit from a manual to suffer through all the mental pain of suffering through 1 hour long traffic jams

Yep. Sadly even in Eastern europe the retards realized that toyotas are reliable so the prices are higher than fucking bmw 7 series of the same age.
>I WONDER WHY A SOULLESS UNDERPOWERED SHITBOX CAN COST AS MUCH AS A LUXURY LIMO FROM THE SAME AGE MMM WHAT COULD BE THE REASON MMMM.

Why not Civic?

Or this box on wheels.

The Yaris used and new are expensive because literally everyone wants one so that drives the price up.

There are better choices out there in terms of reliability and cost.

And don't listen to these fags. Don't buy European. Cheap European cars are shit. The interiors all apart in a month and you always end up replacing some expensive shit in a matter of a few years.

Anyone knows something about these? Are they reliable?

This Skodas are on the top of this.

all I know is that it's actually a Renault engine.

so it's shit
shame, they look kinda neat

Keep in mind that you can find a clean one below 100k km around 1k eur.

yeah but
>renault engine

there's got to be a reason they're so cheap even at that mileage

It even has a 1.2 fire that's been proven extremely reliable for years.

Why do you bring up your 3 SPEED 2L NEON W/ 70k mi in every thread? Holy shit

Those engines are producing decent power for their time and economy class. And I haven't heard anything bad about these cars. Could it be that they just aren't that impressive? When a friend of mine is looking for the first car I'm usually suggesting the 440 for a thought. But they usually go ''meh'' by just looking at it and get what they think looks cool at the end.

Yaris and jazz are miserable

Get a golf 3 GL, was my first car and for a first car it was perfect.

The Yaris is fun with the 1.5L Petrol. All other variants are trash though

redpill me on starlets