How is this for a first car?

I want it because its big and looks comfy and fun. Think they are worth it? Anyone know anything about these?

How much money do you make?

Gas mileage is shit. 8-12mpg.

PROS:
>Insurance is cheap
>Big so if you get into a wreck, you'll win
>Extremely reliable
>If something were to go wrong
>Easy to fix
>Cheap, widely available parts
>Comfy as fuck ride
>Every luxury amenity you need
>Top comes off turning it into a sorta convertible for the summer

CONS:
>Shit gas mileage

the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons, especially considering how cheap gas prices are nowadays.

my buddy has one, its a really nice truck/suv thing but the mileage will drain your wallet fast if you don't have decent income, hit gets like 7mpg city

The problems you'll have are going to be
>Pivot Arm Bushings
>Radius Arm Bushings
(replace these all at the same time, and yes you can do the job in your garage)
>Rust if it's a northern truck
>94+ SRS computer will blow the thermal fuse
(new computer is $400, learn to solder and fix yours for $4)

That's really about it.

by the time i buy it ill be making around 40 a year. how many gallons of gas can it hold?

They're good vehicles. They're reliable. They like to drink lots of gas.

That's literally all you need to know.

The gas mileage can be addressed by doing the "SixLiter Tuneup". Google it.

It pretty much consists of an MSD coil, cap, and rotor, Motorcraft or NGK copper plugs, Ford Racing 9mm wires, and setting timing to 13deg BTDC.

Doing that can dramatically increase the mileage. 15mpg is easy, even with stock timing, if you go radical and go as far as 13.5deg on the timing, people have reported 18mpg. Me? No way I'd go that far out with a 351, because they don't have a knock sensor. But with a 302, no problem.

also im 20 and live in brooklyn so insurance will be literally 12000 a year or so no matter what i get.

32 gallon, I think.

Fucking google it. Probably like 18 gallons

how much would you say you spend on gas monthly without that tuneup as a DD?

Oh yeah, almost forgot
>MAP sensor
>IAC sensor
>MAF sensor

All 3 are cheap, and can be changed very easily.

Finally, look for a new serpentine belt, along with tensioner and idler pullies.

Again, this is super easy shit.

My buddy and I got out of the militaryy at the same time and he went through a divorce aband d she took all his shit including the cars. All he had was 2500 bucks and picked up a Bronco for 1500. This was four years ago, it had 250k miles on it, and is still romping around the rocky mountains in that thing.

If you live in a non communist state gas is like 2 bucks a gallon, buy it and restore it over time boyo. I don't think you'll regret it.

thanks for the info dude.

Just, do the fucking tuneup. Parts are only about $120 and worth every single penny.

My son has a F150 4x4 with the 351, and he drives back and forth to school and work about 500 miles per month, give or take. He spends like $40 per month on gas.

Coincidentally, i just had my Bronco that died on me towed to my go-to shop, hoping to get it back this week. Been pretty reliable and its unique and comfy enough to be worth the bad milage.

Bull shit.

Alright, $60. But no more than that.

Our gas is only like $1.75/gal here.

where the hell do you live? i'm in the midwest and its rarely below 2.25 (which isnt that bad)

College student? Don't drive much? Perfect. Has the ability to haul people and stuff hundreds of miles to and from college. Reasonably reliable, provided it hasn't been abused.

South Carolina.
Oops. Looks like it went up a little in the last week. It's all the way up to $1.89 at Costco today.

Its about 1.85-2.09 here in Colorado. I'm not the guy you responded to though.

I just bought one recently. I'd like to try to keep mine forever (93). Gas mileage is shit like others have said. But it is a car you can do anything with. Tons of room to travel or go camping if you want. 10/10 car.

Get a Jeep Cherokee. Mine gets about 17-18mpg and is still fun as fuck to drive.

80-96 broncos have a 33 gallon tank.
Highest mpg was the electronic feedback carb'd straight six 300ci setups- 17 highway.
But with a 351 it could have been as low as 11 city/11 highway (actually official rating some years).
General rule is you lose 1 mpg per 1 inch increase in tire size.
Bronco came with 27's standard.
So in theory its very easy to get down to 5 mpg's after you throw on those 35's....

Some came with 265/75r15's stock, which are identical to 31x10.50's. depends on the suspension package. The ones with quad shocks got the 31's.