BMW 325i's

These cars any good or are they just a meme? Found one for around a thousand and I'm thinking about biting. Pros and cons?

Other urls found in this thread:

greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw/6235095835.html
greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-325e-e30/6259020522.html
columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-bmw-318is-coupe/6244704248.html
athensga.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-bmw-325-eobo/6219289889.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-bmw-325es/6222264186.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they're good

>pros
reliable with timing belt changes and a fresh cooling system
incredibly easy to work on if you know anything about cars
light weight
huge after market
lots of documented swaps for anything
cheap parts if you buy online
amazing dash looks
factory aero for cooling front brakes + easy to add ducts

>cons
high buy in now since it's a cult classic
battery tray rust
steering wheel doesn't telescope/lower
dash cracking
sunroof drain clogged/rusted
shitty owners/stance cancer

If you buy one for a thousand expect to do everything maintenance wise. Post the ad and I can critique it

For a grand that's a steal. Even if you don't like it, buy it, tidy it up take good photos and make a good profit on it.
They're pretty damm awesome

greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw/6235095835.html

I'm looking more to keep it and make it a daily.

first looks and god damn it's clean for the price. I've seen 325is shells go for about 700-1000.

What I guess will be wrong with the car

- the auto trans will be on the way out (easily fixed with a G260 5speed)
- bushings, tie rods, ball joints etc will be trashed and need a new one
- oil leaks most likely valve cover
- blown/failing power steering rack seals
- dead window motors (can be taken apart and cleaned to repair)
- bad throttle cable and missing bushings
- general tune up needed like spark plugs, wires, etc
- odometer gears dead aka unknown true mileage. thing is clean tho so i believe his estimate of 160k

FCP euro makes a kit to do timing belt and a tune up which includes a fair amount of seals and gaskets. That with new coolant hoses and a nice radiator will probably have that car running in top shape. You can do ATF too but honestly I'd save up for a 5 speed swap.

Also look for other stuff I mentioned earlier. Check the rear battery trays and under the spare for rust. Make sure there isn't any major rust on pinch welds or on the frame

>You can do ATF too but honestly I'd save up for a 5 speed swap
I didn't mean this as ignore flushing ATF but rather keep a lookout for manual parts or a shell with the trans/driveshaft etc

I did an ATF flush and filter on mine while it was auto and it shifted A LOT smoother.

At the end of the day do you think its worth it?

>greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw/6235095835.html

Hello fellow 864 fag.

Better get familiar with a wrench becuase if you take it the dealership you're going to get hosed, that being said:

Plan on a manual swap as the autos suck the life out of those cars, The Odometer can be fixed and several companies make replacement gears that go inside the Cluster, also the rechargeable batteries inside the cluster are probably bad and need replacing. The suspension will need to be redone if the PO hasn't already, The timing belt probably needs replacing, (120k is when it was supposed to be changed) and don't plan on ever reselling for a decent value with that salvage title.

Other than they're fun cars, the M20 can be boosted on stock internals to 300 which is more than enough, and if you don't choose to do so then engine still pretty peppy. Theres alot of aftermarket suspension options that will make handle like its on rails as well.

It has a salvage title. Do not buy

>living in 864
Based 843

well as said it's a salvage title. If you can look past that and only really want it as a nice easy to work on project it'll be good, but try and talk him down more to like 750.
It would depend why it's a salvage title tho so if you can run the VIN and see what caused it

garbage

consider these
greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-325e-e30/6259020522.html

columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-bmw-318is-coupe/6244704248.html

athensga.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-bmw-325-eobo/6219289889.html

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-bmw-325es/6222264186.html

They're awesome cars, but neglect can really hurt them.
I bought one that had been sitting for about 2 years. The cluster was bad, so the temp gauge wasn't working properly. I didn't know that it was overheating because the coolant hoses had cracked. It warped the head, and I had to swap the engine.
Then the heater core started leaking which made it start overheating again.
Then the master cylinder went out.
Right now I'm trying to track down a pretty big oil leak on the "new" engine and I also think there may be a small vacuum leak.
Other than that, my car is awesome and I love driving it. It's not a rocket but it's decently quick and it's fun to drive. The engine makes an awesome sound and it feels super solid.
Don't get an 325e or an early model 318i, they aren't worth the trouble unless you really want to build up the engine.

Seller said it's from the passenger quarter panel being repaired

A vehicle doesn't obtain a salvage title from a repair. Salvage means at some point an insurance company determined the repairs would cost more than the value of the vehicle. A salvage vehicle that appears to be in good condition means the person took the payout, bought the car back from the insurance company for a few hundred bucks, and half ass fixed it. Obviously nobody is going to buy a car back in order to spend more money fixing it than they can sell it for (especially since it then has the salvage title lowering the possible sale value even more). NEVER assume a salvage title car was "just a fender bender" or whatever.

The only half decent cities in the 843 is Charleston or Hilton head, if you're not living there or in the burbs around it then you're living in a shit hole.

God help you if you live in Florence.

As for me I'm staying up in the mountains, Niggers can't stand living here apparently.

Have fun being an extra in deliverance

v a l v e a d j u s t m e n t

makes a world of difference

How so

its a chain idiot

M20's have a belt, what the fuck are you on about?

i learned this the hard way OP, listen to the trip

Adjust your valves, it makes an M20 run so much better
You're an idiot

Fucktard, the M10 in the 318 had a chain. All M20 engines in all 325's had belts.

The M20 runs like shit if your valve clearances run out. It's easy to adjust it with just a set of feelers and an Allen key though. I think it's like every 5,000 miles or something. Solid lifters too, so you hear it when it starts to go.

It's also a good interval to clean out the little tube that sprays oil onto the camshaft. If that gets blocked up, half of your valve train seppukus very quickly.

325i's are awesome cars. For $1000 though, something's fucky. If it's pre-facelift, you're going to need to rebuild half of it anyway because it's 30 years old at this point.

These cars are also a joy to work on.