Is this thing worth fixing? i think it's been sitting there for like 20 years or something

is this thing worth fixing? i think it's been sitting there for like 20 years or something.

its a ford capri, not sure what year.

It's junk, the underbody has most certainly turned to dust sitting out there with all the wetness.

90% sure it isn't worth it. Rust is the big killer especially for a car sitting exposed to the elements like snow in your pic
Unless if you really love the car, it would be a big waste of time and money

Don't know a lot about cars and I'm ashamed to say it honestly but I've always wondered, at which point does the deterioration of the car get so bad that its beyond saving, or can a car always be restored and its just a matter of how much time money and resources needed?

My grandfather tells me that it was used for ice racing in its time and is twin turbo charged so I'm not sure I want to let it go just yet.

>OP posts some piece of shit in the literal woods
>hay gus i wabt a hot brod i bill fix it ban i fix it///
>"fuck off OP, its worthless rusted up junk, it is unfixable, let me throw 8 paragraphs into my post to explain to you exactly why what you want to do is impossible"
>fbut im wanna fbix anywqway
>im vbonna fix it snywsy

stop replying to these threads O

well 20 years in the woods does it for sure.

in·quir·y:
an act of asking for information

ques·tion:
a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information.

learn:
gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught.

re·search:
the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
>reach new conclusions

Now that I've given you a lesson on acquiring information, is there anything else I can do for you, faggot?

>can a car always be restored
No, can't fix a rusted or bent frame

at that point you're just gonna have to replace it I assume

40 year old shitbags in the middle of the woods being worthless junk is not a new conclusion. you wanna know how i know that, because Veeky Forums has these threads every 9.7 hours you cumskull

Make a tube frame and put the body on it, so you can make a road-legal go-kart.

>the underbody has most certainly turned to dust
If it's a '75 or earlier then it's worth saving for the smog exemption if you live in CA. Put it on an Explorer chassis.

This, you'll probably fall out of the bottom of the car still in the seat before you get 50ft down the road, and that's assuming the wheels still turn so another car can drag it out of the muck.

Sorry user, it's dead.

Everything can be restored; the question is: "Is it worth the cost?"

If you want a stock car, it's not. If you want to build a rat rod out of it and learn to weld and wrench on it, go for it.

If it's been sitting above dirt for 20 years, you're going to basically have to build a new car. It's rarely worth restoring a vehicle in that condition less it's something very valuable.

You'd be much better off finding a running and driving one.

probably only useful as a donor

honestly it would depend on how much rust there is underneath

depending on your locale, it can fetch a fair price if the model is right (ie the GT model, but I can't see a badge for it), the UK is nuts about them.

he badges are worth something, as are the wheels, lights, chrome

if you were to look under and see rust, you could take the body off the chassis and put it on another, but at a certain point it's better to pull it apart for another capri

you'd have to do full assessment of body, floor panels are probably really bad, but if somehow the frame isn't that bad from a body perspective it's salvageable.

but you're talking a major project totalling at least 4-6k and that's doing it yourself, notwithstanding any major issues i'm not thinking of.

All these guys thinking this car cant be saved, when the body looks straight and fairly clean for it's age. OP, look underneath the car and see just how bad it is. Provided it isnt buried in mud, you may be surprised. Look at the floorboards, and CAREFULLY open the trunk and hood to see its condition. Creatures may be living in it so be cautious. Hows the glass look? How about interior? Does it have a title?

Anything's possible, it's just a question of money and time...

this is good for parts only

when you pull that thing out it will probably fall apart like pic related

didn't that thing sell for $30k?

>twin turbo
I'll take 'em

>an Explorer chassis.
Where I am you can get a running Explorer with a V8 for $1,500 anytime.

Any car can be "saved". Its just a matter of, in your opinion, if after the repairs, is the car still the same car? There are companies that make brand new classic cars using only the firewall that has the original VIN as a base, and build a 'new' car around that firewall. The car registers as the same one from 70 years ago, due to the firewall VIN. But literally everything else is not original. Is it the same car? Is it saved?

>build a 'new' car around that firewall
Pro-tip: get the title sorted first.

Title mean's nothing

Depends if the frame is rotten or not. Could still be salvageable.

>Title mean's nothing
It does mean something if you want to operate the vehicle on public roads.

Lol no literaly only need bill off sale i throw all the title's away and ppl buy them still

In my state you need a title to operate the vehicle on public roads.

You actually can.

In Alabama if you don't bring the title with you to the DMV when you buy a car, you can't register it. The title needs to be signed over to you by the previous owner. Pretty sure most states are like this.

Some states don't title very old cars, though.

I dont have access to it right now, its out at my grandfathers but I'll either post a new thread and update you on the cars situation with a shit tonne of pics for assessment

Yeah, not the guy you're replying to but that shits a lot of work. And more trouble than its worth on an old ass ford Capri.

But what if you have wrecked SUV that needs an older car body so that the cats can be cut off?

yeah but they are worth the money
you basically just pay for the vin
This is really a 100% rebuild.

A price range a Ford Capri won't ever reach.

Come home brother