Can someone please explain to me in simple english how to drive a manual transmission car...

Can someone please explain to me in simple english how to drive a manual transmission car? I've felt dirty for not knowing how for at least a year now but I can't for the life of me find a simple guide for it anywhere online and nobody I know drives a manual.

Please have mercy on me, I'm trying my hardest not to be a faggot here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bgGgH0j0KQE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

practice with a shitbox then when you can drive gud buy a car you like
t. learnt manual in my grandmas 90hp shitbox then moved onto 115hp

>starting the car
make sure stick is in neutral and turn key
>pulling away
push leftmost pedal(clutch) all the way in, wiggle stick into "1" position, rev to 1.5k and let go of the clutch slowly, once you get moving, accelerate and let go of the clutch
>changing gears
clutch in, wiggle stick into next number, clutch out
>stopping
clutch in when you stop, put into neutral so you don't have to keep your foot in it at a red light

also try to not put it in 1st when you're going fast cuz itll fuck ur synchros

ty for the advice, but
>rev to 1.5k
1.5k what?
>Itll fuck your synchros
what is a synchro?
also
in pic related, where the fuck is neutral and park at?

What's hard to understand?
You drive it like a normal car with the addition of selecting the gears on your own. You select the gear with the stick while using the clutch to dis-/engage the transmission from the engine, thus controlling the power delivery to the wheels.

No, you don't understand. I've been driving for 10 years and i never even knew what the "gears" of a car were until about a year ago. They don't teach jack shit about how cars work in driving schools anymore, the only thing i learned was how to drive an automatic from A to B

>1.5k what?
RPM you nigger

Neutral is where the pic is, the middle
Park is the big lever behind it

So manual cars always use the emergency brake to park?

>old gear shift
I think that's pretty new, Lamborghini Gallardo if I'm not mistaken.

>1.5k what
1500 rpm on your tachometer (rev counter) (the thing next to your speedo that shows how fast your engine is turning over)

>where is neutral and park
That box is in neutral at the moment, notice how it isn't in any of the gear positions. That's neutral on a manual transmission.

As for "park", there isn't a specific gear for it. Some people put the car in a gear, and after turning the engine off they let out the clutch. That way the car will stay still, held against the compression of the engine.

Others swear by leaving the car in neutral and using the parking brake for when you park.

I don't know how to explain synchros in easy terms, sorry. English isn't my first language.

>1.5k what
Rpm, the number that gets shown on the tachometer (the big thing that doesn't show your speed)

>whats a synchro
They sync up transmission shafts, but I figure that's a bit hard to explain with no knowledge before - engineering explained on youtube will help you out
>inb4 memegineering

>neutral and park
There is no "park", you usually leave it in first+parking brake
Neutral is when there is no gear selected, so in the middle

Thank you guys for being really helpful, but the biggest question I really have is:

What do the different gears MEAN/ DO, and how do you know when to switch between them?

Basically, yes.

Fellow newfag here, is it possible to park an automatic without using the e-brake?

OP here, Every automatic car has an option on the stick to shift into park, there should be no reason to use the emergency brake in most cases unless you decide to park on a hill, and even then its only a secondary safety precaution. I've driven nothing but automatics my whole life and never once touched an e-brake.

Have you never even rode a bicycle with gears before?

This bait is gr8, keep it up m8.

As retarded as this seems it isn't bait. This thread has been very informative to me.
No.

Huh. I've been parking using both this whole time. Anyways, regarding gears, from my understanding it changes how the engine delivers power to the transmission. Lower gears deliver more torque, allowing you to accelerate more. The higher gears deliver more horsepower and let you accelerate to higher speeds. I got this from the engineering explained channel, it's a really great resource so here's a link.
youtube.com/watch?v=bgGgH0j0KQE

Fucking hell man. Were you never a child?

Yes, a child with parents that didn't teach me how to drive because "driving school is enough, as long as I can get from A to B safely". Unless you're an american you don't truly grasp just how little we know as a nation about the vehicles we drive. They don't even teach manual cars in driving school anymore, when i went up to every person i knew last week and asked them how to use a clutch pedal they looked at me like i was a fucking alien, they'd never even heard that term before. I'm embarrassed on behalf of the rest of the dumbshits of america and im trying to educate myself.

You've been driving for 10 years and you don't know what rpm is?
If this isn't bait then please don't drive anymore

This. We don't learn shit about cars in high school or during driving school. The only info about the actual car I was driving that I got from my driving school was about the ABS.

I knew what rpm is but i didn't know the significance of it ever, you don't have to pay attention to it at all in an automatic car, which is all i've ever known, that's the point of an automatic. (that last part i very recently found out).

You drive for 10 years and didn't notice that if you drive normal your car shifts gears at a certain low rpm and the engine makes less noise and if you floor the car the engine gets really loud and the car doesn't shift at much higher rpm?
Seriously dude, quit driving
One day you will kill someone and hope it's only you

thank you for your kind and supportive words, dickhead. It's not my fault that nobody ever taught me this shit. Also, how the fuck would the rpm even matter in an automatic and how would ignorance of it get me into a crash? Think before you post. In the ten years I've been driving i've mostly just driven to and from work, i can't tell when the car shifts on it's own, it's hardly noticeable, and i've never floored it because i've never needed to. If i was going to kill someone driving, it would have happened in the first year when i really didn't know how to drive at all.

Holy fucking shit this is good bait I think
Anyways you retard, you can't hear your engine getting quieter sometimes? Do you have a luxury car that's soundproof inside?
You also mean to tell me you never saw the needle on the rpm gauge drop and go up?
If you're too stupid to notice shit like this you're probably too stupid to handle other things in your car and one day you'll crash into someone because >o well I didn't know you had to change tires and brakes lmao how was I supposed to know when it's time to change haha no one ever told me

You don't ever look at those bright shiny dials right in front of you under the steering wheel, read RPM and some numbers, and wonder what the correlation between you pushing the gas pedal and the little hand turning means?
Do you literally have no idea what even gets your car moving?

Imagine gears like a lever-rocker - a concept I hope they taught you in school
First gear is a long lever, you can move it quick and easy, but the short end on the other side of the rocker is moving only a really short distance (high force, slow speed)
Top gear is a really short lever with a long side behind the rocker, your side is hard to press but the other side is moving fast. All the other gears are somewhere in between.
So your engine is on the one side of the lever, your wheels on the other. I hope you can figure out the rest.

English isn't my first language so I hope I don't mix up terms

In a very basic sense, higher gears make you go faster. But if you put it in fifth and try to start, you'll stall the car. Once you're doing (examples) 10mph, you can shift up to second. You'll see the RPM drop. What you need to keep in mind is that if the RPM falls too much, the engine will stall. So shifting from first to second at 10mph is fine, shifting at 3mph is not because the engine won't be reving high enough.

Get one and just do it. It'll be more valuable than anything anyone can tell you here.

I always tell automatic drivers to use their parking brake anyway because they seize up over a long time of disuse, so when you finally need it, you won't have it.

>What do the different gears MEAN/ DO
you put the first gear when you start the car, and progressively shift up as you go faster/shift down as you go slower
>how do you know when to switch
every car has its point where you can start changing gears without problems but you can figure it out by paying attention to the engine response: you don't need to rev up to the red zone but you shouldn't let the rpm drop below 1k either or you risk stalling the engine

manual driver here

is it bad to (is it even possible?) leave the car in 'D' or 'R' when parking it with an automatic? like you do with a manual car?

all modern automatics wont let you start the car unless its in P. Some wont even let you get the key out unless its in P or N.

In my experience, not really. Most modern cars, I can't speak for older ones, have an ignition interlock that doesn't let you take the key out when "in gear". Leaving most autos in D-R wouldn't help hold it anyway because of the way the torque converter works.

I can't really blame you for your lack of knowledge, your parents should've taught you. Usually I'd call spoonfeeding but this is a different case, especially because you asked nicely.

Get a professional instructor.