Isn't it sad that if nihilists were to be right (they are), all our emotions, all art, all humanity...

Isn't it sad that if nihilists were to be right (they are), all our emotions, all art, all humanity, everything that we can see beauty in, simply has no meaning?

That's scary, and depressing. Wouldn't you agree?

Is there something that makes you think that existence has meaning? For me it's art and emotion.

Why does nihilism have to be depressing?

we need more confidence against nihilism

You realize that ultimately meaninglessness is the most freeing concept. You don't go on living because you have to. You get to. You've chosen to continue living every time you're gotten out of bed. You could just as easily curl up and die. Ultimately it's your choice whether you make the best of a shitty situation or whether you decide to curl up and die. Either is your choice.

>That's scary, and depressing. Wouldn't you agree?

If you're a little girl maybe.

>That's scary, and depressing.
Do you think atheism is scary and depressing?

Yes.
It is clearly a logical conclusion that a normal human person, who has a minimally healthy mind, will feel sad if told and realizes that their life has no meaning, no worthiness, no matter what they do.

>making things up

see, or get into zen.

Life's meaning is what you make of it, and nihilism can actually make the world more beautiful in a way. When you know everything exists because of chance alone and that in the end it's all shadows and dust that somehow makes the existence of that tree, flower, dog, mountain etc more beautiful and worth witnessing.

>healthy mind
As long as the person survives and reproduces, it is heathy as far as biology concerned. Meaning plays no rolein that.

>has no meaning
It has meaning to the individual that experiences it.
It has no meaning in some greater cosmic sense.

That's all nihilism is.

Nihilism being true doesn't retroactively make the meaningful experiences of your life somehow false or illusory. If you suddenly can't stop thinking of beauty as illusory it's because your projecting a feeling on the experience that wasn't there before, just a mix of an unconscious reaction to the connotations of "nothingness" and "meaninglessness".

That subjectivity apprehends something that is like beauty is really all that matters. The objective doesn't really have a say in the matter, beauty already happens the only place where it should happen: human consciousness.

No, not really. I don't see how beauty is in any way devalued just because it's subjective.

Earlier today I saw the wind blow against some flower bushes. The wind blew off the weakest petals and the beautiful white petals danced in the air. It was sublime. I wondered why I found it so beautiful, a cloud of flower petals floating in the air.

It occurred to me that I was witnessing natural selection. The strongest petals will remain on the flower while the weakest will die.

Seeing the strong survive and the weak die in nature is beauty and the road to perfection. The flower bush will have its DNA changed and will pass on the DNA for breeding stronger, heartier flower bushes.

If you think that doesn't have any meaning then it is your own mind that has no meaning.

>they are
Except they aren't. See

Why lack of meaning should be scary and depressing? Are you suffer from absurdophobia or something? You nightmares comes in the form of random patterns and number without meaning?

Gay and edgy.

This *meaning* meme gone too far. We should invent new word for something that lack any of meaning, but still important.

>6 can't follow 19 what the hell is this

Who cares about meaning, the ultimate question is the afterlife

I think that's what you mean, it would be sad if it was all for nothing

> but leave a legacy

Fuck legacies, by that logic, when people who carry my legacy die, I die a second time

> just be hedonistic

Or else what? Why should I enjoy something if its for nothing? You buy things to use, you travel to places for memories, etc., everything you do is for the future in some way or another

So why live the current if there's no escaping the future?

This is why I chose to be a christian, it provides me with existential peace of mind and gives me and used too give society as a whole an incentive to at least strive a little to be good people. After some time alive you start to realize why religion and spirituality is so important, and why atheism is autism.

What does "Meaning" even mean? No seriously, what does it mean for something to have "meaning"? Explain this concept to me.

/thread

Nihilism argues that there is no intrinsic value in anything, and that there is no ground "purpose" for any individual which has ever existed. My life may hold no weight to the rest of the universe, but MY life has meaning to ME because it is MY life and because I am alive. It has value to ME because I'M capable of experience, of consciousness, all of which I will be incapable of when I'm no longer here. I'll be gone one day, so I'll continue to live until I can't any longer, and do whatever I can to keep myself busy.

>That's scary, and depressing.

To you, yes. Objectively? No. It's not.

You spend most of your time not existing, OP. 14.6 billion years have passed by without you existing; you exist now as a short blink on the scope of the universe, and when you are gone, you will cease to exist, never to exist again. You will continue not existing until nothing exists at all, and this incredibly short period of time in which you do exist has no reason for it.

You weren't put in order to make the world a better place, you weren't put here to love your fellow man, you weren't put on this earth to "enjoy life" and you certainly weren't put here to be a good person. Nihilism helps show you how you are under NO obligation whatsoever to do anything because you weren't meant to do anything, and that is why nihilism is so liberating, why it's so enlightening, and why nihilism is one of the better philosophies when seen under the right circumstances. You're free to do whatever you want OP.

I can't find the right words to finish what I was hoping to say but hopefully you understand the gist of it. You'll be fine.

Cried

>Wouldn't you agree?

No, I find it remarkably liberating.

Cried to this too

One thing that confuses me is why do people think not existing anymore is "liberating"? What are you liberated from? Why feel so excited over a state in which you can't feel anything? What if non-existence turns out to be a greater dictator?

> you didnt mind the time that passed before you were born

That's because "I" didn't exist before birth. Pre-birth and post-death are two distinctively different states, because you transition into existence from one state, and transition out of it on the other (assuming there's no afterlife)

Is this all you, OP? What's your aim, here?

>Isn't it sad that if nihilists were to be right (they are)

Bro are you fucking homeschooled? Where did you learn to write so shitty?

You're one to talk.

to type* you fucking retard

Say some more stupid shit

>it would be sad if it was all for nothing
There being no afterlife doesn't mean that it's "all for nothing" because life is not about experiencing it for the sake of admittance into an afterlife. Life's not a waiting room. Life is for life, just like how listening to music is its own reward.

>you will cease to exist, never to exist again.
are you sure about it?

if you came to exist from nothing one time why not a second one especially if there is an infinite amount of time and space in the multiverse?

I mean I'd say I'm "practically" atheist I live like there is for sure no God or afterlife but I think it's utterly stupid to attempting to respond to a fundamental question like that, it's not like we even know nature of the universe and how does it really work

that "reward" is basically meaningless

you're just an animal with more complex brain

They arent