Buying a cheap manual car

I'm moving to the US from a country where everyone, including me, drives a manual transmission car. I want to buy a cheap stick shift car, so I started looking around for the top tier sedan and hatchback choices from the sticky, but while there are gorrilion offers for the cars with automatic gearbox, there are almost none for the stick shift counterparts.

What do Veeky Forums? Seems like I'm not in a position to be picky. Should I settle for literally first working manual transmission car I encounter (Disregarding make and model) or should I embrace automatic transmission?

Other urls found in this thread:

portland.craigslist.org/search/cta?max_price=4000&auto_make_model=honda civic&auto_transmission=1
seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/honda-prelude/6266320598.html
seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/2003-ford-focus-zx3/6266301390.html
seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/2000-audi-s4-new-wheels-tires/6266287415.html
seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/98-civic-sedan-ek/6261125076.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dont buy into the autotragic meme

Also, I've just called GEICO and they estimated my auto insurance to amount to fucking $2k/year. Are they fucking retarded? The car I'm going to buy is going to cost not more than $4k...

You won't find a whole lot of manual options in the US but transmission swaps are entirely legal and available here. Either get an automatic or be prepared to work on a bunch of overpriced shitboxes.

IIRC the average for a 18-25 year old male in my state is like $3900 a year, welcome to America.

I haven't even moved in yet, and I already want to move out.

The freedoms here are really good up until you get wrapped up in the horrid legal system. Just remember they're not taxes if it's from a corporation that lobbied to make it illegal not to pay them hundreds a month for basic shit needed to function as a citizen.

Just remind yourself that freedom ain't free

Nobody said you were required to drive a car to function as a citizen. Nobody said that it was meant to be cheap, or even the standard. It's just the most popular because it isolates people from the elements and a great deal of risk (though, less so in the past when cars were deathtraps)

Get a universal sidecar and a motorcycle with a tube frame or other frame arrangement that's compatible with aftermarket/optional sidecars. Your legal minimum insurance is now $50 a month and you have roughly miata-like carrying capacity, notwithstanding any creativity you may exercise with luggage racks, bags, rope, and bungee cords.

>but muh weather!
Oh well, freedom is free but luxury aint. Just be glad the sidecar makes you more stable in low traction conditions and has the possibility of having an enclosure for bad weather and being removed for summer.

>this is what leftists believe in

Craigslist, autotrader, cargurus, cars.com, FB marketplace etc
Transmission: >Manual
FFS learn how to internet

What, do you really think I haven't checked those sites yet? Let me enlighten you what the manual car market in the area I'm moving you looks like:

>Searching for a car under 4k from Veeky Forums recommendations:
>Toyota corolla manual: 0 listings
>Honda civic manual: 1 listings, shitty mileage and interior
>Ford focus manual: 4 listings, 2 with shitty mileage, 1 rebuilt from a piece of shit, 1 looks good but is too cheap not to have some bigger problem hidden
>Nissan sentras and altimas, ofc manuals: 2 listings, 20000000000000 mileages both
>Not even looking at mercedeses and BMWs

However if I decide to go automatic, I'll have plenty of offers to pick from. Now, the question is whether it is better to look for other manual cars that Veeky Forums doesn't really recommend such as Saturns, Kias, Chevys or Dodges, or to fuck the stick shift and go for the recommended cars with automatic gearbox.

Might as well get the automatic versions. The most recent renditions aren't that bad but you won't get racing performance out of it. On the flip side you'll always have a hand free to stuff your soon to be fat face like a real American.

Where the fuck are you searching? Wyoming? That's way too few results.

Post your craigslist

3k civic.

Isn't their a bunch of cheap manuals e36/e46's?

Geico prices are heavily based on your credit score. I moved to the US 2 years ago and have 750 credit score. I pay 50/month for liability coverage with decent limits. It would be 40/month for state minimum. 25yo male.
My friend with no credit at all was quoted for 200/month, even though he is a much better driver than me.
Try another insurance company for now.

Nissan 240sx

Lol what the fuck? I pay 85 a month for my 94 gt, and I live in a liberal tax-you-up-the-ass state, Illinois.

Theres no way those numbers are correct. You're either looking in an area with a population of 20 people or you're searching wrong.

When I enter honda civic and select manual transmission under 4k I get 300+ results.

portland.craigslist.org/search/cta?max_price=4000&auto_make_model=honda civic&auto_transmission=1

At 27 and a clean record for 4 years now and a CDL A, I pay 65 a month for full coverage plus comprehensive on my 986 boxster

Saturns S cars are actually great cars, reliable as well.

Burn oil most of the time, but you can solve that by drilling into the ring landings

>Nobody said you were required to drive a car to function as a citizen.
You are required to drive a car to function as a citizen.

There, now I said it.

first off the sticky is old and sucks desu. second what city and state are you looking for cars in? i was in your situation at the beginning of the year and bought a manual shitbox for 2k

Lots of Mazda 3s with stick shifts, look for them.
Cruze Eco as well, though its less common.

Get a mustang

Get yourself an old light pickup truck. Ford Rangers are pretty nice. They're reasonably reliable and pretty cheap. Many of the ones I see on Craigslist are sticks.

We are at a weird point where manual cars are more expensive.

Seattle

>Nobody said you were required to drive a car to function as a citizen.
Sure, too bad that the distances between points A and B are ten times larger than in Europe

only in america
in europe it is, or at least was a luxury feature reserved only for the more expensive cars

Stop buying European cars and get a 3k civic instead.

When they asked me what car I was thinking about I told them Ford Focus. I thought fords are American

Oh ok you're just inept. There are plenty of results and this took more time to find your city than to get a small list together.

seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/honda-prelude/6266320598.html

seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/2003-ford-focus-zx3/6266301390.html

seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/2000-audi-s4-new-wheels-tires/6266287415.html

seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/98-civic-sedan-ek/6261125076.html

That Ford is way too cheap, there must be something wrong with it

Public transportation in its many forms is a thing.

It's a 14 year old VERY common car. The price ain't gonna be that high to begin with. How about you go look at it instead of bitching about the price. If something IS wrong with it then you don't have to buy it, pussy.

no, it's just old.
the SVT models can be had for

>city people
god they're the fucking worst

bro if your moving to the states get a moosle kar honestly enjoy being in america the finest way possible bangin gears in a ratty foxbody

>Implying Public Transportation is feasible outside of major cities in the U.S.

Please don't talk about things you have absolutely no fucking clue about.

hell even in large cities like st louis and KC theyre so spread out that public transportation just cant fucking work

I'm not wrong, though.

you absolutely are wrong have you ever been out of your whatever commie shithole you live in

Mk 4 vw anything.

Make sure its tdi

:^)