Boosted LS

I recently passed 50k km on my 2016 silverado and im ready for some go fast bits. I have 50k sitting in my account and ive been thinking about putting a whipple charger on it for around 12k it should put me at 600-700hp and similar tq. Should i do it? I daily drive the truck. Can the 5.3L motor handle the power?

Other urls found in this thread:

superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-1203-5-3l-ls-small-block-build-part-4/
youtube.com/watch?v=18tqT7kdG_M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First, I wouldnt suggest modding a daily driver, especially not with something that extensive.

Second, why a whipple? A turbo could make more power and would be a lot cheaper than $12k

superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-1203-5-3l-ls-small-block-build-part-4/

yeh you wouldn't make 700 with whipple, you just would make the psi you'd need, get a turbo if you want performance numbers, otherwise just get a wet system and call it a day

If you just use moderate boost for what the engine should be able to take then I don't see why not, even if it is daily driven or used for work if you do something like construction. But regardless, I'm sorry to say but I see no good reason why you should boost your truck. I would think that all you really need to care about is your torque if you haul, and while a charger will get you more, it seems a waste at 12 grand. Besides, you drive a truck that was already made for that type of work.

That thing will blow, do a b series swap

The engine will handle the power if you've got the octane to support it. To get to that level, you're talking either e85 or meth injection as that's going to take a good bit of boost to get there.

As others have mentioned, why bother with a bug ass truck? Sure it can put down Z06 numbers, but you'll still get walked due to the weight disadvantage.

The reason i would do it is because my trucks paid for in full and i want to get a duramax 2500 in 2019ish and this will just be my fuckaround truck. I dont want to be like everyone else. Oh look at my camaro or 5.0 or whatever. I want to have the power to make people shit bricks when they see how fast a truck can go while i daily it. I have the money for it and no spot to put a 2nd car (money isnt an issue i literally cant buy another house right now) this is what happens when youre in your mid 20s with money to blow. You get bored. Also i just like to go fast. I drive around my step dads built monte carlo sometimes and its just sucha a kick

>600-700 hp out of a 5.3 with a whipple.

I fell for the bait guys.

You sound like a fag.

PS you are, in fact, just like everyone else

Yeah add to that retarded list a cam a huge blower,new rods ,lifters springs,atleast 850cc injectors and 4 spare Silverado transmissions.

You don't have to buy something common like a Camaro or vette or something to go fast, there are lots of options out there.

I'm just saying, there's a reason why most people don't start with the heaviest thing possible and then try to make that fast. The first time your 700 hp truck gets its ass drug by a 500 whp car, you're going to look pretty retarded.

No doubt you can make it as fast as you want if you're as loaded as you pretend to be, but it costs lots and lots more money to make it keep up with modern modded cars. It'll take more power, it'll break more stuff, and it'll wear stuff out more quickly.

One major killer to your whole plan is not having the ability for a second car, especially when you're going to be pushing the setup hard like that. The first time it barfs transmission pieces all over the road and is down for a month, what are you going to do to get around?

pay off the truck, cuck.

You'd have to be an idiot to go for that much power on a car you need to daily and you rely on.

It's like kids I know who are stance fags and since they can't afford bags they drop their cars on coilovers and always drive their cars like that. Well one of them busted his oil pan on a pebble and he literally couldn't get to work for 5 days and now he has zero vacation days for the next 9 months. He lucked out that it happened on the weekend and he could get it to a mechanic on Monday so they had 6 days to get it done.

If you only have one car, you'd better not fuck with reliability.
If you have two running cars then you can start to mess with stuff, but even then you should try and keep one reliable because two unreliable cars will end up breaking at the same time at some point.

I thought about that but one of my main guys that works for every single day lives around the corner and my fiancee is about 10 minutes away. Id would suck for sure though

Its been paid for 6 months after i got it.

I thought about putting rods cams and injectors as well. Id do most of the work myself at my buddys shop he does custom muscle stuff. I wont lie he did play a big part in convincing me

then sell it and buy a 6.2 which is what you should've gotten from the start.

This thread is full of poor, and likely jealous, idiots. Do what you want, but be realistic about costs associsted with extensive modification. You'll have to modify more than the engine for this to work well. That said, fast trucks are cool OP and that thing would smoke over 99% of shit in a dtraight line. I'd do it

My next daily truck is going to get a supercharger. Why because i said so its my money. Its going to be a crew cab chevy 1500 4wd with about 50-60k. I will drive it a few hundred miles a week for work tow the boat or sleds on the weekend might take some longer road trips in it.

Not like you have any option on some of those. Injectors are mandatory at that power level. Depending on the approach, a cam may be needed as well to hit the goal. Not sure what you mean by 'rods', but if you mean connecting rods, you may as well redo the whole bottom end.

Jealous of what, this guy sinking $12k+ to make a 12 second truck? Lol please.

Its hardly going to smoke "99%" of stuff in a straight line either unless you're talking about every car on the road. Start getting into actual modded cars and this thing will get its ass kicked. 600-700 crank hp is only mid 500 at the wheel. Put that in a 5000 lb truck with shit aero and shit for traction due to being a truck and this thing is going to struggle with any modern modded muscle car. Go against any boosted modern muscle car (factory boosted or aftermarket) and this thing would get gapped by bus lengths.

t. autist who can't handle his emotions when someone else has something cooler than his shitbox

>inb4 I drive a huracan

You're forgetting that trucks have 4x4, low gearing and 8 speed transmissions now. All that helps them take off hard from the line. A stock Silveraydo does 60 in under 6 which is faster than a lot of cars and most shitboxes. Yes it's faster than your 2000 3 series. If a 5000lb sedan can do 0-60 in under 3 than it's not impossible for a 4x4 truck to do it also. It's going to cost you though.

Just trying to help the OP out before he dumps a shit ton of money into a slow ass, unreliable truck as his only form of transportation.

I don't have a Huracan, just a boosted C6. I don't try and make 1 car do everything (DD, shit hauler, race car) because that just doesn't make sense in the real world.

>I don't try and make 1 car do everything (DD, shit hauler, race car) because that just doesn't make sense in the real world.

Shit doesn't need to make sense in America.

youtube.com/watch?v=18tqT7kdG_M

I really don't see how it will be unreliable if he has the money to have it done well

A stock 5.3 4x4 truck isn't doing 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Even 0-60 under 7 would be tough, put down the pipe man. Also, those systems weren't designed for racing- how long do you really think that drivetrain is going to hold up with WOT launches at 2x factory power?

If you're spending that kind of money to beat a 2000 3 series, you're retarded. If you wanted to mod a truck, get a diesel...

He's talking only about slapping a blower on for $12k not for upgrading the entire drivetrain. If he doesn't mind cleaning out his account to beef up everything to match, then I'd totally agree

If he's only planning on just a supercharger and then somehow reliably making 700hp without upgrading anything else then yeah that's a bad idea.

This silverado is not the best platform for making 600-700hp anyways. Should be shooting lower maybe 475

The 6.2 will do those times stock. A blown 5.3 definitely will do better.

>how long do you really think that drivetrain is going to hold up with WOT launches at 2x factory power?

Ahhh that's the beauty of modifying a truck. They're designed to tow 15k lbs unlike a weak ass car. Plenty of skookumness. There's plenty of guys running retarded amounts of diesel torque through a mostly stock drivetrain with slicks. A diesel would be better for going fast but modern diesel trucks are hopelessly fucked and the used truck market is a joke.

Just sell that silverado and buy the new 3500HD with 910 torkz

My point is, it would need to do a lot better just to keep up with factory cars. A sub 6 second 0-60 is shit when compared to a sporty car. Hell, even a v6 camaro does low 5s now. It would need to do a high 3 or low 4 to even keep up with a bone stock vette or v8 camaro.

The average car isn't a Vette or Camaro. Yeah trying to compete with those is retarded but destroying a gt86, Miata or other "sports cars" is well worth the price of admission.

Sure, so I guess it depends on what "99% of cars" you're trying to beat. If you're including every Prius, Fit, Spark, Civic and other garbage on the road then that bar is pretty low. If I was spending that kind of money, id want to be able to beat some cars that actually want to race though.

I also think spending the price of a miata or a FRS just to be able to beat one is a pretty shitty goal. I don't know anyone into modding cars that woud be proud to say they could take out a miata in a straight line, lol.

Can a Miata or FRS tow 12k lbs and go off road? A truck is way more practical and useful than some sports car.

Will that fit in my Miata?

lol why the fuck would you want to mod a fucking truck? It's boring now and will be boring after.

Man I have a turbo just like that in my Civic.

Of course not, but if you dumped the $12k into one of them, you could make a half assed attempt to add that functionality. Its just as stupid that way around too.

Seriously for that money, you could get a c5, a few bolt ons, and rent at a storage unit. Then you'd have an actual sporty car and not fuck up the daily driver truck.

why not daily the car you put 50 grand into..

fucking pussy. thats like buying choclate to eat and not eating the chocolate until its stale and you want to sell it, but you cant since its stale chocolate

My only real goal is to keep up with my buddys 400chp g body i would be happy to make 500 whp

The blower alone doesnt cost 12k it was just a ballpark number itll be closer to 20 for all the parts i need and even more for a built tranny and diff at some point

XD that was a great joke user! what subreddit did you get it from? upvoted

This is op. So i took into consideration getting a storage for another car. I talked to the owner of my storage unit and hes got another lot out of town where hes got temp controlled units with cameras and outdoor access. 90 monthly for a 12x16 unit for me because i got him like 30 customers. Anyways he said i can work on my car any time. So i did my research and found out theres a great aftermarket for square body c10s. I think this is the option for me. Theyre only 4100lbs. I know its still a truck but i love the concept. One of my best friends is an engine guy so he can build me a carbed motor for under 15k. Instead of doing it all at once i could make it a restomod project for me and my lil brother. This is it now to find a clean square body and get ready to spend close to 3 times what i initially planned. Whats the best year square body? What motor should i put in it. I want a built 454 but those are pricey. Should i build a 350?

I'd considering going turbo. There's a plethora of budget 5.3 turbo builds to follow. The extra exhaust routing kind of sucks on a single but it'll still wind up being cheaper than a supercharger.

The C10 would be easier to work on for sure but it'll likely need everything replaced to be as reliable as the new truck.

The beauty is i dont need it to be reliable. Oh well if it pukes something while driving down the highway. Plus id do a partial body off anyways

sell your truck and get a proper turbo diesel.

Lol look at all these pussies having a meltdown

Dont get me started. They almost got me convinced o should sell my dream truck(at the time of purchase i wish now i got an all terain 2500 diesel) and buy a real sports car like an fa5 civic and put a mad ebay turbo with a whopping 7psi. Fuck v8s muh veetekkk bwuahhjh

I like how you conveniently ignore the people trying to tell you to avoid making your daily driver more failure prone because "lol reasons."

You're an idiot. It's still a truck, it's just a fast truck.

>Can the 5.3L motor handle the power?
Yes. Sloppy Mechanics.

dont you follow that youtube channel who builds ls1 trucks? you can make 1k hp with way less than 12k m8.

>Can the 5.3L motor handle the power?

You should of got the 6.2, FAGGOT

>should of

All these arguments,I think op should ALSO buy a cheap shit box,tell you buddies it's a parts go getter. That's your excuse for buying a small car.(and you will learn that small cars are kinda fun then you get in your truck and hate small cars until you need a u joint then realize small cars are kinda fun to park in places your truck can't then you drive your truck....hakuma mata circle of life)
Also what is that giant turning for? A power plant?

Get a Dezol bruh

I actually drove a fox body for about a year. Shit was cool. Kinda slow but 250hp is more than enough for a cruiser. Me and my sheherd(rip diesel) drove around and picked up chicks all the time. Shit was amazing i felt like i could maneuver that thing within 1inch all around.

Read up a little ive gotten to the idea of keeping my truck mostly stock other than maybe rims and tires (already have a flowmaster 44) and get a square body c10 with a big block or blown ls

Life is good.

Next work truck will be a 2500 dirtymax