Why are people on this board who are looking for six figure salaries only looking at engineering and corporate jobs...

Why are people on this board who are looking for six figure salaries only looking at engineering and corporate jobs? Offhand what springs to my mind are things like:

>Military Officer (base balary + bonus pay)
>Foreign Service Officer (base salary + bonus pay)
>Intel Officer (base salary + bonus pay)
>Civil Service (base salary + bonus pay)
>Medical Doctor
>Administrator in a city department
>Tenured Professor
>Lawyer (yeah, I know)
>Architect

I know that I'm biased toward public service, but don't you find this board to be a bit myopic in where they are seeking salaries?

Other urls found in this thread:

economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/want-a-job-go-to-college-and-dont-major-in-architecture/?hp&_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>six figure government jobs

The king of "It's not what you know, but who you know". At least you have a shot at six-figures in the private sector.

The competition for those government jobs is insane, because its one of the last areas that treat workers like human beings. Everyone else are fighting it out in the private sector like the wageslaving rats they are.

>he thinks an architect makes good money
>He thinks being a professor is a good idea if you want to make money

>my uncle is a colonel
>my uncle is an ambassador
>dr. patel, my uncle is cia
>what
>12 years a slave
>i suck the mayor's cock
>lol as if
>nope
>tfw to inteligent for engineering

Ehhh, as a gov't employee that makes 6 figures, I contest this idea. I didin't now anybody, I applied to USAjobs and got accepted after (7 months) and got an interview, which I aced. I work for the US Army Corps of Engineers at a small hydroelectric plant. I don't even have a precise job description, I hep maintain and run the plant as a generalist. Some days I don't even come to work. I don't think I'd ever find that in a private sector job. I might find better salary, or actual overtime pay, but not worth it.

Maybe in some corrupt, dystopia, Non-USA country you are probably right though.

Fuck, that's my dream job

>tfw stuck in aerospace, with layoffs always around the corner

>I applied to USAjobs
can you explain this in further depth? what degree do you have? how was the interview?

> Some days I don't even come to work.

of course you don't you parasite

Of those government jobs most people I know in them got in without any relatives in them. Particularly in the military, although the Foreign Service is a bitch to get into and only about 20% of applicants make the cut.

I said tenured professors. They typically get good shit.

I kek'd, pretty good.

Yeah, yeah. You know what though? That dam produces 100% plate capacity has done so for years. I work my ass off, I worked 72-120 hour shifts before, (there is a nice place to sleep in the office complex) but there comes a point where everything is done and there is no immediate reason to come to work. So I don't. My performance is based on that turbine's ability to make power. It makes plenty, I make sure it makes plenty,, it makes it cheaper then before. Cleaner and cheaper than anything around. The best power. It's free besides the parts I order and some salary. I don't expect you to understand.

Yeah, if it was private you'd have what?

RCMP is legitimately a good choice. A few years on the job and you can be making 100k or damn close to it. They are desperate for people, you just need to be in good physical and mental shape (I know that disqualifies most of Veeky Forums), have a clean record, and be willing work in whatever isolated northern shithole they send you to (although after you have been working with them for a while you will have some say in this).

We both know what he'd have. It's the socio-economic thing though: you've got stability, social rank as part of your GS pay grade, connections, and high income while he's running the rat race and hoping for maybe two of those tops.

That's why when people call for privatization it's often more driven by a general fuck-you to salaried government employees than it is an honest cost-benefit analysis to society.

>Architect
Literally the worst career field to get into if you just want to make some quick cash. Enjoy spending three years working 60+ hour weeks and racking up huge debt at grad school just so you can maybe make $65k if you're lucky.

economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/want-a-job-go-to-college-and-dont-major-in-architecture/?hp&_r=0

...That's not a bad idea

I'm looking at going into the reserves until I finish school and some of that might have very minor carry-overs that'll help improve my career

Just came off of running for 15 minutes, felt gucci. Just got to get better chin-up numbers (6'5 fml)

good luck getting in if you're a white straight male

The private yacht industry is great for making serious money if you have a hospitality background. As a Chef on a 50 meter vessel I made 130k US last year. Great benefits and your travel expenses are all paid as well.

Isn't it going to be next to impossible to get a cushy government job now with Trump's hiring freeze.

How do you even get into that?

Outside of military and LEOs it depends. Trump's ban is only short term though, and careers are a long term thing. If you want to be an FSO you may as well study for the test, hopefully the freeze will cease to be soon.

>public service
Six figures only after many years of service, and tops out at around $130k for federal public servants. Complicated by prerequisite ass-kissing.

>doctor
Need to complete a BS with a stellar GPA, research, recommendations from your professors, and volunteering to show that you give a shit about black kids or whatever.

>tenured professor
PhD at a minimum, shit-tier pay and working conditions until you get tenure. If you don't have at least 2 publications before 20 don't bother

>lawyer
Oversaturated

>Architect
lmao

>Six figures only after many years of service, and tops out at around $130k for federal public servants. Complicated by prerequisite ass-kissing.

Nope. Unless 2-6 is your idea of "many years".

>Need to complete a BS with a stellar GPA, research, recommendations from your professors, and volunteering to show that you give a shit about black kids or whatever.

If you don't have a decent GPA and can't knock the MCAT out of the park after a few tries then what are you even doing? If your professors wouldn't write you a recommendation what are you even doing?

>PhD at a minimum, shit-tier pay and working conditions until you get tenure. If you don't have at least 2 publications before 20 don't bother

Everything has a "you're the department bitch" phase to it. It is publish or die though.

>Oversaturated

Yeah. This is the one where you really have to be awesome or know somebody.

>lmao

Again, there's the bitch phase, but you get past that.

>lawyer
was true 10 years ago, the market is absolute shit right now
t. 3rd year law student

In the US Fort Lauderdale is the best for newbies. Dockwalk is a general industry site with a jobs board and there are multiple crew placement agencies to register with as well. Entry level positions start at 3k a month to include room and board and medical etc... If you are in your 20s and fit anyone can get a job. entry positions are 3rd stewardess or for guys junior deckhand or crew cook/chef. there are some courses required ( a week at 3k$) but a lot of people find their first job thru networking at the schools.

So how to get that juicy chef position?

Culinary school and restaurants prior to entering the Yachting industry. But if you put your head down and hustle as deckhand you can go the to Bosun 5k in 2-3 years then Mate 8-10k another 2-3 years or 3rd stew to 2nd stew 4.5k in 1-2 years to Chief stew 7-8k in another 2-3 years. plus don't forget if you are frugal you literally have NO expenses ( well, a phone maybe lol) so you can invest your entire paycheck monthly. Even at 3k month after 10 years you done and retired if your hardcore about it.

If you know so much about it, then why not share info on how/where exactly to find these cushy 6-figure govt. jobs?
What exactly are the requirements of a 6-figure position? My guess would be mostly engineering degrees.

Nope. Foreign service, any masters or doctorate, law is cool too, at least if you want to start at the highest pay grade that someone can start at. Military officer means any bachelor's, but don't try if you don't have the nuts. CIA requires foreign languages or an aptitude with your bachelor's in anything.

Those are the ones I know most about.

christ, i remember when i thought the military was a good idea

>Why are people on this board who are looking for six figure salaries only looking at engineering and corporate jobs? Offhand what springs to my mind are things like:
>
>>Military Officer (base balary + bonus pay)
>>Foreign Service Officer (base salary + bonus pay)
>>Intel Officer (base salary + bonus pay)
>>Civil Service (base salary + bonus pay)
>>Medical Doctor
>>Administrator in a city department
>>Tenured Professor
>>Lawyer (yeah, I know)
>>Architect
>
>I know that I'm biased toward public service, but don't you find this board to be a bit myopic in where they are seeking salaries?

Work work and work... And get to the manager position at McDonald's. Then I lied on my resume, and work for Goldman. My last year's bonus was 80k. Also during my interview process,I put my friends number as a contact. Nailed it!

You can also make a ton of dosh as a sous/executive chef in the right place.

but of course it takes a ton of hard work, literal hard work.

>Market for lawyers oversaturated
This is BS. The market for TV-lawyers is oversaturated: criminal law, matrimonial law,...

If you go into maritime law you can make good money.

Maritime law sounds like a nightmare.
I wonder how the market for tax lawyers is.

>tenured professors
You don't become a tenured professor if you're the type that is seeking it for the pay.

Also, all of medical doctors, lawyers, and tenured professors require substantial postgrad education, and most likely a PhD to actually make 6 figures. Medical doctors in particular are notorious for not typically being able to see any substantial cash flow until your 30s.

On the other hand, as a software engineer, a good number of my peers are getting 6 figure offers fresh out of college with just a bachelors.

kek'd
you mean
>*too* intelligent for engineering
which you clearly aren't

govt people also have access to that sexy sexy tsp

lurk more before posting again

00>get engineering degree
>go to law school
>become a patent lawyer or other "expert witness" in court
>job consists of reading from a paper for a few hours a week
>???
>profit

I had a professor who did this, ended up traveling the wold in various diplomat's entourage
sounds like a fantastic life, make a couple friends in the courtroom and you are set for life money-wise, not to mention the various nepotism perks
(he got to tour a couple eastern european countries as the iron curtain fell, apperantly the locals are very nice in romania and bulgaria)

guys who make posts like this never elaborate. it's always some variation of "i applied to some job, got it somehow, now i'm there and i do stuff". they never get any more specific than that

>it's always some variation of "i applied to some job, got it somehow, now i'm there and i do stuff".
Yes, user, that is, in general, the process of finding a job

Clever. Thinking about mastering out of my PhD in biomedical sciences to do the same. Public research funding is never going to be as good as it was and those with tenure are going to cling to their positions like rats on a sinking ship.

>telling ego-driven lies on the internet to neckbeards

>Medical Doctor

DUDE SHUT UP I DON'T WANT TO COMPETE WITH Veeky Forums FAGGOTS

The number of six-figure jobs just in municipal police departments or school districts would probably fucking astound you.

I've worked for the City of Milwaukee for almost a decade as an auditor in the office of the comptroller. No, I haven't cracked six figures (yet), but I frequently evaluate and reconcile budgeting and expenditure for the city, and I'd be willing to bet most police detectives crack six figures easy with overtime. I've seen several MPS employees, some of them teachers, who make more than 200K a year.

And when I go to conferences and talk to guys who do my job in Berkeley or Seattle, it's even more fucked up. I'd wager that six-figures is still the exception, but once you factor in the bennies, I bet it becomes at least half of municipal, county, and state employees who receive the equivalent of 100K+ a year in total compensation.

Oh man, speaking from personal experience, please don't work for the government if you value sanity. Sure, it can be easy but it's frustratingly stagnant and there is no market to tell you if you're doing valuable work. I wish someone had told me that when I was young.

>No market to tell you if you're doing valuable work

You may have an idealized view of the market.

Nah I'd rather sell drugs.
Hell if rather eat glass.

>I'd rather sell drugs

Doing that sort of thing is only for the very poor with nothing to lose or the very rich who feel that they cannot lose.

I fucking hate Injuns though. They're no better than niggers.

These jobs are not selected by (technical) merit and they are not very flexible. You can't found your own government branch knowing you can do a better job for the public, for example, you would have to start some kind of political campaign which most voters won't understand and you would be up against a nest of vipers hungry for the same position. If you smoked weed in college or called someone "fag" on COD when you were 13 they will dig it up and use it to tear you to shreds.

>These jobs are not selected by (technical) merit

You've never seen the FSO test or an officer review board, have you?

>>Architect
++saturation
avg. salary < bus driver
one way road

fugg that's a cute pussy

Yeah that's kind of the point, fuck bureaucrats. Worse than NEETs.