Anyone have experience driving in snow with a light rwd car with all seasons?

Anyone have experience driving in snow with a light rwd car with all seasons?

>Inb4 no-seasons

Start in 2nd gear

My suggestion: don't.

Get winters or don't drive when it snows. You CAN do it, but why risk it? No amount of skill and false confidence will save you if you run into black ice or a steep hill.

Winter tyres. If you want stick a paving slab or two, or bag of cement etc in the boot as well. Drive slow, and keep to a higher gear. Brake lightly and with plenty of time and space between you and the car in front.

just go slow, and use engine braking at all times

back in my late teens i had a 88 Nissan KingCab, 2WD with 5spd trans and open rear diff. drove it many a Canadian winter on all season tires, got stuck everywhere. even with sand bags in the rear

one time it was icy as hell out and i was in a Mcdonalds drive thru with an incline, spun my tires 5 minutes blocking the line trying to get up. since then every truck ive bought has been 4x4 on winter tires. only thing i miss was that Nissan being so light i could rip skids in parking lots all winter like crazy

Really depends where you live. Doing it in Chicago wasn't too bad as long as you know what you are doing. Plus even with bad snow storms, the plows are out as soon as it starts so there is never more than a couple inches of snow on the road. And if it gets worse like that historic blizzard a few years back, you should stay home no matter what you drive.

If you live in the boonies tho where you might get 6"+ on the road before a plow comes, I wouldn't want to be on the road without a 4wd truck.

snownigger reporting in

With some training (and proper tires) a 2wd car can tackle pretty much any roads you have to drive

I have a set of Nokian Hakka-something on a 16 yo FWD wagon and ive only gotten stuck once (and actually got pulled out by a skyline)

but yeah, winter tires is the way to go

>tfw my tires are worth almost as much as my car

Yea I drive my Miata in the snow. It has a Torsen LSD which I'm sure helps, but sometimes I throw sandbags in the trunk. Cheap chinese all season tires (7 inch wide). This last winter for about a week I was stuck in the driveway. But if I can get to the road I'm good. Avoid neighborhoods that aren't plowed.

I'd recommend AWD.

this

my gf has an fr-s and daily'd it through PA snow no prob with blizzaks

Drove my open diff miata in deep snow on all seasons, no weight in the trunk and I live in the north east.
Went pretty well, went up some steep hills in 3rd at 10 mph, fun to get a bit hektic at times but never felt like I was out of control.
Overall though, don't fucking buy all seasons. I had General Altimax RT-43s which according to tire rack are the king of a/s, but in reality they are crap.
Just buy nice ultra high performance summers and a set of winters on steelies. I'll never buy an AWD/FWD car.

I drove a Miata all through a Massachusetts winter on all-seaons.

If the roads are plowed and salted, no problem. If the roads are plowed and unsalted, you'll slide around every turn like a Finnish rally car driver but the Miata let me keep it stable without spinning out.
If the roads are unplowed, see above until it gets to around 4" and then you get stuck.

I'd say you need to get snow tires and about 300 pounds of weight in the trunk.

Sage

Get winter tires. Shitty four seasons are for summer only.

Bravo

Get winter tires

I did it just fine in MA with the cheapest all seasons in a 2wd 5 speed 4.0 V6 Ranger with no weight in the bed and no ABS. So basically I had everything going against me.

Here's the trick to driving in the snow in such a vehicle, or any vehicle really. SLOW THE FUCK DOWN! It's snow and ice! The #1 reason I towed people out of the ditch was because they were driving like assholes. Lots of them had snow tires or 4x4 or AWD. These cocky assholes somehow think that their tires or AWD makes them God like and they drive like they're on dry pavement. NO! It's best to have snow tires if nothing else and AWD is better than 2WD, but no matter what you're driving if you slow down you'll be just fine in all but the harshest conditions. You wouldn't get my 2WD truck down an unplowed road with 18" of snow on it, but anything reasonable was possible.

Also start in 2nd gear when taking off.

Was going to reply with a paragraph on how awesome my Roadmaster is in the snow, until I saw that you added "light" rwd cars. Still:
>Hitting sick drifts in January
>Laffing at keks in Mustangs and 86's

I drive my 1st gen Cadillac CTS with all season tires and it is hell in the winter. Even with bags of sand/salt in the trunk, it slips and slides whether the road is freshly plowed or there's 8+ inches on the ground. Thankfully the majority of my winter driving is on the interstate which stays nicely plowed where I live, but the few miles I have to drive to get to and from the interstate are shit.

Thankfully I spent a lot of time sliding around in empty parking lots when I was younger so I have the experience to handle it when it happens, but my car still ends up sideways several times every winter.

If you can afford them in any way possible, winter tires are highly recommended. Otherwise, just remember to drive slow, keep at least twice the distance you think you need, and learn to feather the gas when accelerating from a dead stop. It wouldn't hurt to find an old, empty parking lot you can drift around in so that you can get a feel for what to do when you're sliding either.

I used to drive a 240z in snow with bald 20 year old tires back in college. I would never do such a thing today and I have no idea how I ever got to class on time. But I did it. Anything is possible if you're stupid enough, I guess.

you don't know true fear until you drive a sw20 turbo fast in snow with semi-slicks

Yes, I have driven my BRZ through snowy winters.

This is boomer trash.
Grip is grip. If you can't get off the line in first, second, a higher wheel speed per rpm, isn't going to help. The idea is that you are having less torque multiplication, but that idea doesn't hold up when grip conditions are low enough to warrant an attempted change in driving habbit.

kys Ethan