What did the ancient Mediterranean world think of black people?

What did the ancient Mediterranean world think of black people?

Other urls found in this thread:

quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bulletinback/0054307.0003.001/6:2?g=bulletin;rgn=full text;view=image;xc=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periplus_of_the_Erythraean_Sea
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Egyptians saw them as slaves, the Chartagineans and the Romans as vassals/barbarians.
The only respected niggers were Ethiopiansa who were actally based

Can you refrain from such unscholarly language?

They saw them as savages who should be avoided and no better then animals.

Hmm so was a deep dark negro an uncommon sight in their world?

There weren't really unified opinions across the Mediterranean world back then, and there aren't today. Your question is pretty terrible.

how are we supposed to answer your question.
I don't think there are any historical sources on this subject.

Test

high test

since when did this board become so shit?
is it the standard twitchan redditor influence?

Reddit has something to do with it, but you have to remember that this was the fear that kept moot from making a history board.
The previous balance between Veeky Forums and /pol/ in terms of the distribution of Veeky Forums's intellectual and pseudo-intellectual agents was working fine. Stormfront, the JIDF, and a few Ron Paul holdouts had /pol/. Everyone else who liked talking about politics could sneak it in under the guise of ideological critique of the hegemonic ideology on Veeky Forums, everyone was happy enough to stay on their own board.
Veeky Forums ended up taking overflow from both of those boards, and for the first time /pol/ and Veeky Forums began to actively compete for control over a board. /k/ommandos and Redditors and others also posted here a lot from day one, but enough people from Veeky Forums shout '/pol/ faggots get out' and 'Were Egyptians really Africans? Aren't Afro-Americans retarded?' threads get made that this has become the effectively defining dialectic of the board.
Now Reddit is coming here more and more, Hiroshimoot is actively considering nuking or nerfing NSFW boards to save Asian shekels, and Veeky Forums is increasingly looking like trench warfare a la Iran-Iraq war, complete with electric swamps.

>now reddit is coming here
The place with respectable history boards is coming here and spoiling what would otherwise be enlightened, well sourced, and open minded Veeky Forums discussion, /pol/ aside?

Honestly looks more like /pol/shit, /rel/shit, and """""humanities'''''''''' is piling up.

Jesus they're everywhere

Negros were indeed very rare to be seen as Roman citizens or Chartaginean citizens, but really common in the Egyptian army and working as slaves both in Pharaonic Egypt and Tolemaic Egypt.
The Romans had commercial relations with Aksum(ancient Ethiopia), but really slight.
The sahara basically has been until the Muslim slave trade an unpassable barrier between Negros and Whites.

niggas where a rare sight on the ancient world, the only ones where mostly in maghreb as slaves from raids and on southern egypt.

Is probable that Roma had some as literal circus maximus freaks or vanity slaves.

Pretty sure ptolomeian dynasty should have some literarure regarding their interaction

except they rarely saw any ethiopian at all.
On those days ethiopians mainly dwelled on the arabian peninsula and even india.

As the usual empire-minor civilization relations go it is very likely that only a few, mostly greco-egyptian people knew of the nigger hell south while niggas knew they better not dare to fight the whitey man o' iron

Not too much. They weren't particularly racist to them, it's hard to be racist towards black people from the south when theres white snowniggers to the north all the time.

The Romans, or rather Augustus, didn't want a war with the black kushite Kingdom so they basically appeased them and gave them part of Roman Egypt.

Except Augustus was the first Emperor to conquer Egypt itself.

and then they decided to combine history with philosophy(which includes religion), and that screwed up even more.

Pic related a student of philosopher Erodes the Atticos in Athens. Not even kidding but they wuz philosopherz.

Reddit's culture is literally antithetical to imageboard culture.
>>>/reddit/

That's as silly as the Olmec heads and Hannibal being black, just fucking stop.

Imageboard culture is irrelevant to what should be historical discussion. There's enough imageboard culture for the entire board within every Veeky Forumsmeme thread.

I wish we could boast the same availability of expertise that r/askhistorians can.

Then leave

Why? I like this place, it's just disappointingly ahistorical sometimes.

>The sahara basically has been until the Muslim slave trade an unpassable barrier between Negros and Whites.

this idea is dated and innacurate

no he should not it's a anime site

Fun fact: The word "Gorilla" was originally the word used by the Greek explorer Hanno the Navigator to describe blacks. So gorillas are named after blacks.

>Greek
Carthaginian*

That's actually true though.

>quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bulletinback/0054307.0003.001/6:2?g=bulletin;rgn=full text;view=image;xc=1
>Philostratus relates that Herodes was bitterly disappointed in his son, Atticus, who, besides being "foolish, bad at his letters and of a dull memory," was "a drunkard and given to senseless amours." In an effort to encourage Atticus to learn the Greek alphabet, Philostratus tells us that Herodes took twenty four boys into his house to be educated. If Atticus could learn all of their names, each of which began with a different letter, his father's goal would be attained. Of these boys Polydeukion, Achilles, and Memnon won the admiration and affection of their mentor, Herodes, because they were "highly honorable youths, noble-minded and fond of study, a credit to their upbringing in his house." Sadly, all three died prematurely, and Herodes mourned them as if they had been his own sons.
>As early as 1915, Graindor suggested that Memnon, an Ethiopian, might be portrayed in a head in Berlin (Fig. 6), which comes from near Thyreatis in the Peloponnese, an identification that has been widely accepted.

Anything south of Ethiopia was considered to be strange fire people by the ancient greeks.

He didn't conquered it though, it was offered to him

>What did the ancient Mediterranean world think of black people?
Egyptians thought they were nubian cunts

Greeks thought they were magic

Romans thought they were barbarians with tradable goods

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periplus_of_the_Erythraean_Sea

>Imageboard culture is irrelevant to what should be historical discussion.
Err...no, not really. This is Veeky Forums, it's an imageboard with a distinct culture. You're a migrant.

No it isn't. Just because you're a race creationist does mean that happlogroup distributions conform to your fantasy

>You're a migrant.
Just like everyone was at one point. I've been here since '08.

I'm not ashamed of not being an '03fag.

>This is Veeky Forums, it's an imageboard with a distinct culture
Veeky Forums's culture isn't incompatible with a desire for better content. Take a look over on /qa/ or any of the archived state of the board threads, the dissatisfaction with "& humanities", and the low effort blatantly ideological OPs that beg for argument rather than discussion.

These are board conditions that chaff at many and seeing a community capable of maintaining a claim to scholarship on the internet, well, for those who come here for history more than memes, the grass might look greener.

All this to say, pointing at Reddit as a cause for any dissatisfaction strikes me as odd when the issues I see commonly pointed to are a result of the domestic userbase' posting habits and doubly so when they've the capacity for comparatively dry, but moderated and sourced regular discussion.

I can propose no way to bridge AskHistorian's wealth of accredited contributors & constricting moderation, with the enjoyable absurdities and lax standards of Veeky Forums, but perhaps it does me enough good to vent after trying to kick up discussion of some topic of interest to me and getting buried by the same memes time and again.

Faggot

y-you too

Pictured above: Autism

t. reddit

I bet you actually believe a handful of postgrads backed by uptight moderation equates to a scholarly environment

But that's wrong, dumbass. Hanno encountered chimps and described them as a race of hairy men climbing and swinging in trees.

he actually thoughy they were men? imagine how creeped out he must have been by them

I could kind of see it, especially if you've never seen anything like it before and probably weren't able to get very close to get a really good look at them. I never understood why people consider apes to be "cute" or something, personally they usually fall into the uncanny valley of almost-human but not quite.

When compared to We Wuz posting and """subtle""" pol threads, it certainly looks that way.

The only cute apes are the baby ones, because we look more like baby apes than adult ones.

Handsome Gorilla's are where it's at anyway