Just put these on my FRS. They seem pretty much on-par with the Rivals I ran on my old Miata. Are they shit...

Just put these on my FRS. They seem pretty much on-par with the Rivals I ran on my old Miata. Are they shit? I know the RE-71R and Rival 1.5s are pretty awesome for track, but how does the 200 UTQG market stack for DD? With the way these ride, I'll probably never go back to PSS/Conti ExtremeContact

>asking if tires are shit after buying them

>buying anything besides michelin
shiggy diggy

Well, if they are i just won't buy them again lol. Easy lesson to learn, they're still fun to drive and super cheap.

I burned up my PSS in 15k miles, so the warranty help me buy the Falkens. Not a bad deal.

I used to daily Azenis 615k's, the grip was alright but nothing to write home about, but the tread life was fucking abysmal. I switched to SuperSports and P-Zeros and I'm much happier with their performance and tread life. They are an 'alright' drift tire and they look cool, but unless you are sponsored by Falken and get them for free, I wouldn't buy them again.

Azenis arent in the same class as rivals, ZIIs, re-71s, etc. They are fine for street performance. They were the first tires I ran when i started doing autocross. They were a hell of a lot better than the toyos I had previously, but they dont hold a candle to the ZII star specs i run now.

Hmm, good to know. Have either of you ran Conto ExtremeContacts? I'd like to consider them against PSS, but we all know everyone sucks the PSS dick so..

Extremecontact Sport i mean, whatever the highest performance DD tire they have is

Ive never used Michelin tires, though i will say the Dunlops i have now are awesome. Super grippy and the tread life is surprisingly good. Probably a bit overkill for DD duty, but hey. My last set lasted about three years of daily driving and occasional autocross, though they were pretty heat cycled out by that point.

What model? I've heard the DZ102 is shit but i can't think of any Dunlops in competition with the PSS/S-04/P-Zero category

Direzza ZII Star Specs. They're extreme summer performance tires. Good for autocross and light track duty, like i said before, probably a bit overkill for DD

Oh ya, i've heard those are great. If you got 3 years of daily out of those, they may very well be my next tire. I'm selling the FRS soon for an RX8 so I'll want some sticky DD tires and I've never had the chance to try ZIIs

Your kinda mixing two categories of tires together. Assuming you're OP, you mentioned re71s, rivals, azenis before, which are all extreme performance tires, i.e. more at home on a racetrack. That's why im talking about my ZIIs. They fall in the same category as the aforementioned tires.

Pilot SS and p-zeros arent in that category. They are road tires. Really grippy road tires but still.

To be fair im driving a 2200 lb miata and we are talking about different tire and wheel sizes. These things affect tire life. Your (literal) mileage may vary.

But i cant say anything bad about these tires. If they ever release a ZIII SS ill be first in line.

I know, I'm mainly asking how these Falkens stack up for DD use. The PSS is just what I had before. When I get my next car, I'm thinking of either DD'ing the ZIIs or possibly Rivals, though I don't know how long they'l last.

My PSS lasted 15k miles, 1.5 years exactly before hitting 3/32" so I'm thinking shit I might as well run a really sticky tire if I'm gonna get that kind of life.

I should also add that I'm already noticing insanely more grip with these Falkens from what i had on my brand new PSS. I can power out of corners with much more confidence and my braking is insane now. If these (or the competition) last 15k, I'll never go back to a Max Performance Summer tire, the fucking grip is addictive

Lots of grip is indeed fun. It's even more fun when you're competing.

But I'll tell you right now that youre not gonna get close to 15k miles out of any of those extreme perf tires.

I said I got three years of use out of my ZIs, but if I had to guess on how many miles that was, I would say somewhere in the 9k to 12k range. And like I said, those were 205/50-15s on a very light car.

This is the trade-off you make for more grip. There's not really any getting around it unfortunately.

Hmm, I suppose it would be foolish to think they would last longer than a more daily-focused tire. And I plan on driving the shit outta them. Still might be worth it, after all, why buy a sports car amirite?

Hey man you dont have to convince me. If you dont mind budgeting a bit more for tires then go for it.

I'm running these on my E30 it's pretty great but then again I'm coming from regular a/s falkens I got at discount tire for the same price. in 14" btw

It takes it less time to heat up than my potenza re760s on another car. They get really sticky after about 2 mins then start burning up pretty easy once it's like 8mins in it seems like. but i'm in the south in the summer so temps are crazy. I go at about 28-30 psi depending on how it feels. E30 is only for autox/track/fun spritied drives and maybe if my main dd is in the shop so I don't expect much more than 10-20k tops out of it.

I have RE-71Rs on my Miata, and in street driving they often make a sound like Velcro being unzipped. That's life with extreme performance tires on regular roads, only worth it if you actually autocross or track the car with regularity, otherwise stick to... oh, I can't keep track of all the "xxx performance tire" designations. There might be something in between "ultra high" and "extreme" these days. "Max"?

Softer tire than the others, but fairly grippy and more comfy. Good DD tire.

You got it, it's Max. I'm honestly not concerned with road noise whatsoever. In fact, I drive with my windows down 95% of the time. I hate being closed up in a box, not claustrophobic, just boring.

I'm 27 so i can justify sacrificing all but A/C and carpet for the joy of being in a focused car.

Don't understand why people think they need extreme performance

Especially on a miata or a 86, where the stock tires will let you gently drift across an intersection at 30 mph, which is what makes these cars fun. Also I can't imagine the horrendous body roll unless you really beef up the suspension, in which case with the miata you then have a ton of chassis flex.
I have a miata on Toyo Proxes R1Rs with Tein adjustable coilovers, butterfly brace and shocktower brace and bigger roll bars. Willwood big brake kit too. And you know what? It's less fun to drive than a bone stock miata on the streets. I'm saving up to buy a bone stock one too because I miss hooning it without going over the speed limit.

Shit i just don't follow that. I got rid of my stock tires as soon as I bought the Scion. They were obnoxiously bad in dry and dangerously bad in rain. PSS was a terrific upgrade, and just this morning i got to test the limits of the Falkens in an open intersection. It was great fun.