Questions that don't deserve their own thread / QTDDTOT

What are some good european brands to look for when buying used? How are Opel Insignia?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Pops-dent-Dent-Repair-Popper/dp/B0015D88U0
charlotte.craigslist.org/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nifM5acwgDM
cincinnati.craigslist.org
kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/moncton/1984-xjs-he-jaguar-v12/1272891838?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do those things that you can use to pop/fix a dent actually work?
im talking something like amazon.com/Pops-dent-Dent-Repair-Popper/dp/B0015D88U0

Anyone tried something like this before?

Brehs I want to spend the winter setting up a rally car. Really wanna drive, ever if just for fun. In my possession I have
>1985 mk2 toyota supra
>1985 Toyota mr2
>1993 miata

All in at least 7/10 conditions, stock af. I'm not 100% on these being rallyable but I also don't mind selling one, right now I've only got 1.5k saved. If nobody has time to type out opinions, can you point me to spots on the internet I can browse? There are tons of forums that are nigh dead. I've thought about
>old impreza, possibly a coupe
>dodge neon?
>some bmw maybe, could look good in livery

Buy a $1 toilet plunger from the dollar store and go to town. They work but they won't fix severe dings or paint damage that comes with most dents.

If it were my decision is drop the mk2 supra since i just don't like them.

Imprezas and lancers are pretty standard I feel like. Don't know a to. About rally, so I can't be of much help.

My question:
I'm pissed that there's no vw sportwagen r in the us. Would it be worth getting a 4motion sportwagen and putting in an is20 plus necessary ecu mapping? What else would need to go into that setup to get it to 250+ hp/tq? I'm also thinking about the alltrack model bc standard awd and can play with height. Just love me some fast wagons

charlotte.craigslist.org/ me and my bros want to pool some money together and get a car for $700 or less to use on trails what should we get

If you need to pool money to get up to 700 then wtf are you gonna do when your water or oil pump shits the bed?

How can I restore my flaky chrome wheels?

I was thinking something along the lines of
>peel off big flakes
>spread paint thinner on wheel (will this damage the wheel? I don't know thats why I'm asking)
>sand wheel and get all the surfaces smooth again
>put on a few coats of primer
>put on a few coats of color of choice
>then a few coats of clear coat

Will this work?

first of all 700 is nothing to us we are just putting it into a fun car for a weekend then we are scrapping it so we dont care if anything breaks

paint thinner wont damage the structure of the wheel, and with the coats of paint and clear be careful not to spray too thick or you will get awful orange peel drip spots especially on nonuniform surfaces like rim spokes

OK great, I was mostly worried about it eating the metal or something.

Do you think I could get this smoothed out with sandpaper and elbow grease or do you think my arm will fall off before I make any significant progress? I unfortunately don't have a grinder or wire wheel so sandpaper is the best I can do for now.

i really doubt you can sandpaper that by hand without either gouging it or your elbow melting, i suggest you get some steel wool and see what you can do with it

Steel wool sounds like it would work better yeah.

Purely subjective, but once I get them cleaned up and ready to paint what color do you think would look decent? I don't really like the chrome. I'd probably go with a glossy dark silver or maybe a bronze-ish color

i think a matte or gloss silver would look nice

how do i overcome the fear of working on my car? I'm afraid that if I attempt to fix something, even the smallest of repairs, I'll break something else in the process.

it scares me br/o/s

Wtf is this shit on my leather and how do I clean it

just keep breaking things until you fix everything and have a brand new car

>just fish thru ur Mom's/Sister's underwear drawer
>probably a dent puller in there

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nifM5acwgDM

buy a thing of dawn to de-grease it and then use leather cleaner/conditioner

Aight. I've been using saddle soap all day to no avail.

that will work for after to help make it shine and protect it but probably cant rip the stains out

can someone please tell me what the projector lens is being used for here.

What would cause a clutch to shit itself even after a complete overhaul? My old truck got a new clutch and throwout bearing but now it feels kind of spongy and it doesn't actually engage as it should. I have to shift without the clutch.

If I press the stick toward where first gear is I can feel the truck lurching forward slightly. If I press it into where reverse is a grinding noise is heard. I read it can be the pilot bearing but I'm reluctant to drop the transmission a third time (the second time was to check the clutch plate hadn't been installed backwards).

Any ideas?

also the cable is already properly adjusted, it's definitely not that.

I was diving real fast in a hilly area in my crown vic, and the OD/OFF came on by itself. Did the transmission prevent Overdrive from engaging to preserve itself? Is that a feature?

NOTE FROM THE MANUAL
----------------------------------------------------
POWERTRAIN OVERSPEED PROTECTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) includes logic to electronically
prevent powertrain overspeed in any transmission selector position.
-----------------------------------------------

Can someone direct me to a list of reccomended cars for New Zealand/Australia (Right hand).

I'm here for a few months and the sticky doesn't seem to apply here.

Just get whatever rental car outfits have.

They will get whatever cars are cheapest to buy and cheapest to maintain.

Most rental car and camper van outfits sell of their old vehicles - give who ever a call and see what they have.

Fuck me that's pretty clever.

Thanks for the advice user.

Why's it so god damn hard to find a 2002 IS300? There's 3 with over 200k miles in 80 Nile radius of me and overpriced. What's a car that basically is the same ?

cincinnati.craigslist.org

>1995+
>200+ horsepower
>V6/V8
>RWD/AWD
>Reliable
>Sporty looking but doesn't have to be edgy
>$3,500 budget

Will the basic GM drive cycle turn off my EVAP I/M on my OBD2 reader? Im getting mixed answers online, some people say its the same drive cycle as the others and some say the EVAP has a special type of drive cycle.
Can anyone confirm this?

What are some things that would make a 2000 323i's headlights flicker? The bulb's been replaced and the connections seem good at the light itself, so I'm not sure if it's got some sensor that's taking a shit on me or if it's something even more obtuse.

Just drill a hole in your gascap

Knocked into some brambles doing around 20mph today after going back on my side, passing a parked car.
I have a couple faint scratches on the passenger side, is it anything to worry about, over than the unsightly look?

I'd stay off the highways till you get it checked out man

Thanks, this fixed it

I let a buddy of mine borrow my 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback.

It started to overheat when driving it less than 3 miles, it was smoking under the hood, the exhaust was letting out white smoke.

He drove it back to my place while overheating, and when he got here, the check engine light came on.

The radiator fan doesn't seem to be working.

Is damage done to my engine, or is it worth it to diagnose the radiator related problem and replace the part(s)?

1993 Chevy S10

>turn headlights on
>brake lights don't work
>use turn signals
>hear relay tick, but they don't blink

What do? Bulbs are good and fuses are good.

>I let a buddy of mine borrow my 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback.

Bumpan this

The white smoke is indicative of a blown head gasket probably from letting the motor over heat. Do the usual tests - bubbles in the coolant, milky engine oil, white smoke from exhaust.

to look cool

you may want to look into the mid 90's bmw's

could be anything from a bad fuse to a wire thats been damaged and is shorting in and out

95 sc400 220kmiles $2.5k
Or
99 sc300 200kmiles $3.5k
Which is the better choice for a project?

this or corrosion. Work backwards from the light testing for continuity.

How far should i stay away from this, and why am i probably going to buy it anyway?

kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/moncton/1984-xjs-he-jaguar-v12/1272891838?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Do dealerships careif i plug my own obd2 in when i look at a used car? Are they going to be like wtf are u doing?

They'll be like wtf you doing?

Most sales people wont even know what an OBD2 reader is.

Really depends on the dealer.

Is it cheaper/easier to swap a 350, or do a head gasket job?

I need a fast car thats good on gas. Or the best of both that i can get. I was looking into some v6 cars but 17-23 mpg is pretty bad. Also id rather have a coupe and nothing older than 10 years. Budget is about 10k.

Also i do not particularly want a mustang. Theres soo many of them around here.

How do dealers determine the interest rate when financing? Is it negotiable? My credit is 8 hundred somthing... What is an acceptable rate for that score? Is zero % a thing?

Way cheaper to work with what you got. Pair of head gaskets are like $100 bucks max. For all you know whatever 350 you swap in has blown head gaskets anyways

What is an ecu flash? What does it do?

Educate me on car covers
is it worth it for an elderly car prone to rust and temporarily out of the garage for a few months?

How can i troll a dealership that pulled the ol bait and switch on me? I called to ask if they still had a car i saw on car gurus. They said yes. I said ok im about 2 hours away be there in about 2 hours to look at it. i get there and they said the car sold yesterday and try to show me other cars. Fuck that i left pissed off. This has happened to me before at another place. The cars always seem to have been sold "yesterday".

How long do air filters last? I bought a car brand new back in 05. Theres 130k miles on it and the air filters only been changed once long ago. The filter still looks new its not dirty or anything.

Prius with turbo. You can laugh but it's true

>car makes ticking noise
>take it to mechanic
>could be lifter, dropped piston skirt, loose flywheel
>all common problems
>find flywheel is loose, ticking noise doesnt go away
>year down the road it locks up on the highway
>turns out it dropped the piston skirt, and the rest of the piston

Mechanic says he could have a motor in it for $2200. Or I could buy one for $1000 and do it myself.

He's told me its pretty straightforward job, and that I should get a new clutch while I'm at it.

Is it worth it though? It's a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.5 and 236k, it's a little beat up but I only use it on camping trips every month and put over 150k on it. Could I find another vehicle like it, a bronco II or another Cherokee for a grand?

Pic related

Swap in a 4.0 and keep it for the rest of your life, or move on.

The dealer inputs your scores and lenders will put in offers. Considering your credit score is at the top you will probably have a shit ton of good offers to pick from so take one that works for you.

Are b6 passats any good used cars?
Im talking in eastern europe not usa where theyre more expensive. They look pretty comfy in the interior and some model got enough hp to keep me satisfied for a first car. But how reliable are there? And dont say "lmao vag" meme Ive seen golfs near 300k km

It keeps interior temps down and makes cleaning it up easier.

Just resets the ECU to what ever tune want it, or back to the Factory settings.

You're fucked mate.

When a car overheats you should it off immediately.

You have a bad Ground, I had a 93 S10, the electricals are horribly put together.

Thank god I got rid of it.

so theres this thing that from Albanian is literally translated to petrol + gas. as in it was initially a petrol car and then they added some kind of gas implant or something. it even has 2 odometers that show fuel 1 the original that was for petrol which is very close to empty and the other showing gas. Whats the right english term for these cars? Would you suggest getting them or what should I know beforehand? I think they do it to save money on fuel since the gas costs less.

Are Ford Fiestas fun? I found a 1.6 petrol 2011 one with 100k km for 5600 euro. The only problem is that its an automatic and I dont want to regret it that I didnt get manual. The manuals are all 1.2 and 1.4 which is too little power.

They are fun. But avoid automatics at all costs. The transmission is shit because ford's extreme budget DCT will shit itself thanks to it TCM which will require a reflash only at the dealer.

comments on aftermarket tie rod ends?
My steering is weird and the steering wheel has a small vibration, and I factored it down to the tie rods. Rock Auto has these MevoTech and i'm unsure about non-OEM steering parts.

i drive a '12 Fiesta hatch

Just get whatever you can afford as long as it has a grease fitting

How come in the US, you can get original parts from regular parts suppliers whereas in Europe (Switzerland here but I think the rest of Europe os the same) they're usually only available through dealers? Is there a law for that in Murrica?

why the fuck would we have a law about who can and can not sell pieces of metal

we let people buy european cars so it's not like we care about every car on the road only containing quality components rather than poorly made shit that will fail the day the warranty expires

It's less about "who can sell" than "who can buy" - if the vehicle manufacturers are allowed to make vehicle specific parts only to dealers, then those will be the only place you can get them. And if dealers are the only (and thus cheapest) place to buy OEM parts and everyone can get parts from a dealer, there's no way any business can make a profit selling those parts because they'll have to buy them at the dealer where their customers can just get them at the same price. I noticed there's a lot of online shops for OEM parts in the US while there are none in Europe, and I know that in the US the manufacturers are required to make diagnostic tools/procedures available to indies in some way so I figured there might be something similar for parts, like a rule that forces car makers to sell their parts to all shops, dealership or not, at the same reseller price.

Kinda New to this trying to find a service manual for my car kinda tricky its a 1975 buick apollo im hella broke and use this car as my everyday car any help getting that manual online or pdf would be awesome 1975 Buick Apollo Chassis Service Manual

ok, sounds good. But what grease? Should I just pump in some general/all-purpose grease in the auto dept and call it a day?

I think. I actually have no idea

The only time I used a grease gun on my car was when my neighbor brought his over when he helped me get my tie rods on.

I dont know what he uses

>How are Opel Insignia

Opel's mechanical side is top notch, the electrical is pure shit.

How do I know what the minimum RPM for each gear should be in order to not lug the engine? Is it just when the engine doesn't feel happy or is it before that? Is 5mph at

Sounds like the clutch plate isn't disengaging from the flywheel.
You mentioned this is a cable driven clutch?
It might need to be tighter to fully engage that shifter fork.
Also did you use an aftermarket pressure plate?
Pressure plate might be to rigid to allow the dick to disengage.

2003 IS300?

Radiator fan failed, engine overheated, head gasket gone.

Well if you gave a bottomless wallet then go ahead but if your struggling on minimum wage stay the hell away from it.

You can ask and go ahead but they've probably already cleared the codes before they put them on the lot

Head gasket job.

They don't really decide, but may get kickbacks on certain rates. You have a really good score so dont take anything over 3%

It's like installing a OS, you can install updated or performance ones. Or just "restart" the computer to clean up some errors. You needs special equipment and pass through devices to do it. I think the new Ford tool is like 8 grand these days.

The recomend every other oil change or 10k miles. Did you actually remove the filter and look at both sides?

Every vehicle is different. My truck would be dead at those speeds, but a 4cly might handle it.

See that's kind of a problem. The sc300 is the one you want if you want to modify the engine but the later VVTI versions are less durable (especially for boost). The 400 is the one I'd normally get to leave the engine alone but I'd definitely want a 98+ for the increase in power VVTI provides. Can you find an earlier sc300 or a later sc400?

Yea I'm probably just going to wait it out a bit longer. The thing is when either of these cars have under 150k miles they get priced ridiculously high.

Go back and waste 6 hours of a salesman's time. Test drive everything, negotiate over the littlest shit. And right before you sign the final papers, just up and leave.

Considering turboing my engine. 2zzge with lift that kicks in at 6k. I normally shift at 3k. Where should i have the turbo kick in? I was thinking 3750

>I normally shift at 3k

then get a supercharger because you are using nothing but low end power

off topic, but what is your 2zzge in?

do you use premium gas?

I'm picking up an 04 matrix xrs saturday and its got the 2zzge so I was curious

I was wanting to have the turbo for when i push it, to enhance the lift and help get up to it. I can easily push to 4k and shift, i just do 3k to save gas.

7th gen celica, i use the cheap shit but switching is one of the first things i want to do. I garuntee people on forums for that car have switched, if not you could find it on a celica forum.

By feel. You'll know if you're lugging if its having difficulty accelerating.

In most cars it anything below 10mph in second is lugging it.

Where it kicks in is more dependent on what size the turbo is.

You mean CNG gas?

They're called Bifuel cars. So long as the modification was done correctly (or at the factory) then it should be fine.

Turned it on, no check engine light anymore, engine isn't verbalizing it's pain.
No smoke.
Let it run for a while, doesn't seem as bad, didn't dare drive it.

>look at fuse box, pretty good
>fan itself is working
>relays are good
>remove cooling fan switch
>buddy puts on new cooling fan switch
>he's tightening it
>he breaks it off

What do I do now?