There’s a photography trope that says, “the best camera is the one you have with you...

There’s a photography trope that says, “the best camera is the one you have with you.” The idea is that the best photographs aren’t always the ones that are sharpest, or have the most accurate color, or the most megapixels; but rather the best photographs capture a moment that moves you, and those moments pass quickly. This flies in the face of the cargo cult that is so endemic to photography culture, but it is absolutely the truth.

I think automotive culture suffers from a similar paradox. There is so much focus on horsepower, acceleration, and lap times, that the actual enjoyment of driving gets overlooked — or at least takes a back seat in the broader context. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that these objective metrics are straightforward to measure and publish in cool infographics. Meanwhile, the way a car actually drives requires expressive language. The latter is far more challenging to write in a way that draws in audiences.

The other major contributor to this dysfunction is that most people don’t have the opportunity to drive that many cars. At 40 years old, I’ve owned eight cars, but most of them have been of the similar types (2 Rabbits, 3 GTIs, 1 MR2, and 2 BMWs). I’ve learned a lot in the course of owning these cars, and my beliefs today are 180° from the beliefs I held in my twenties. I cannot, however, blame my twenty-something self for holding those beliefs, because I didn’t have the experience required to form more nuanced feelings.

So, my message to you, young enthusiast, is this: Drive as many cars as you possibly can. Save your money and get yourself to a racing school. Learn what it feels like to balance a car on the edge of grip. Armed with that knowledge, seek out an automobile that rewards your senses, not your ego.

Stop being a fag and post more automatic vs manual, m3 vs mustang, corvette vs gtr

But grandpa, how does a not poverty tier, but still very budget minded enthusiast experience driving many different types of cars on the (relatively) cheap?

Miata is always the answer

Work harder and Work smarter. I believe in you user.

I think you're wrong. The enjoyment of driving has had a come back in recent years. And it's never about lap times to most that like these cars. Like manual brings that extra connection and feel to road and car. The late 70's-80's was a dull time for most cars. Majority of them were anemic, floaty, fwd and cheap appliances. The modern audience want to be "sporty" and even to normies the car is a symbol of status, a checkpoint in life. Buying a nice or new car is an accomplishment.

i like where you're coming from OP

i've driven F458s, Gallardos, GT500s, Aston Martins, etc, but I gotta say that it's nice to be able to enjoy a back road romp in a small Civic for my personal adrenaline rush. The speeds are lower, but the performance is so much more accessible. I can start to lose grip (understeer mostly...) without worrying about a $1000 insurance deductible, or telling my boss that the car is scrapped, and with just a bit of brake it all comes back into line. it's nice to drive a slow car fast, and it's much much more fun than it is to drive a fast car slow

Any exotic car owner that isn't a smug bastard will admit that exotic cars are shit to drive and enjoy a normal car better.

That was very well put. I think the online car community could benefit as a whole from focusing more on the common joys of driving than arguing about which car is "best"

shut up faggot

The only online community that bench races is Veeky Forums, because they don't have cars. The rest of the online community and in real life isn't cancer.

Not the guy you're replying to, but that's only modern exotics. Driving an F430 Scud is thrilling, for example.

>online community and in real life isn't cancer.

thats not 100% true. There are plenty of cancerous part of the car community with it be online or in real life. But yes you're right it is worse on Veeky Forums

Honestly I think it might be worse on instagram. The amount of underage kids that make and or follow shitty exotic car instagrams are fucking terrible.

What I thought you were going to say was the best cars are the ones that move and excite you; the ones you fall I'm love with, rather than the lightest or the one with the most horsepower. This is something I completely agree with. Instead you got all gay with it and said drive heaps of cars and join a racing team. That's tucking retarded, and you're retarded.

t. unskilled cuck

Everyone with a hellcat or demon: see pic

good post

> COPYING JALOPNIK COMMENTS TO START A THREAD

Someone get this hot head outta here

I agree op, I just bought a 50 year old car purely for the driving pleasure. I daily drive it, people think I'm mad, but it's fast and great to drive without being a million horsepower

My dad remembers his days fondly with an old fiat during university, his 914 and mini he used to own. I'm hoping soon going to surprise that old fuck a classic mini, but even then not just driving feel is important, but I want it to be a competent car. You can build or buy a perfectly great feeling car, however, if you're still slower than some H6 shitbox, please reconsider.

pics

>think automotive culture suffers from a similar paradox. There is so much focus on horsepower, acceleration, and lap times, that the actual enjoyment of driving gets overlooked — or at least takes a back seat in the broader context
stop getting all your info from Veeky Forums you dumb fuck

bump