Don't worry champ, you'll find a deal soon. Back in the 80's I got my first 1969 Camaro for $300 from the classifieds...

>Don't worry champ, you'll find a deal soon. Back in the 80's I got my first 1969 Camaro for $300 from the classifieds. Only had 17,000 miles too.
>What do you mean $7,000 for that?! Son, it's a 23 year old Nissan coupe with 140,000 miles on it.
>Give the owner a firm handshake, look him in the eye and tell him 'not a dime more than $600'.

>it's everyone else's fault but my own

But seriously 7k for a fucking Nissan with 140k miles is absolute ass

This meme is over dude. You're behind the times.

>My dad gave me his old truck when I turned 16. Wasn't fancy, but it got the job done. We fixed the carburetor with your moms hairpin.
You get "free" truck from uncle
>You can't make that old truck work son? Your not tryin hard enough!
Truck needs $400 in electrical work, $600 for Cadillac converters, $300 for oxy sensors, and $450 in parts and labor to find and fix an evap leak so it will pass inspection. Ad $800 in tires when your done.
You can't afford it?
>You just go down to Goodyear and ask for the by buddy, manager Frank. You look him square in the eye and tell him you need this truck for work. Give him a firm handshake and he'll pass your inspection! (Frank quit in 2002 when Goodyear was passed on to the 7th manager in 3 years, Frank shot himself and his wife). Oh, talk to Tommy while your down there. He knows me. He'll help you out. (Tommy died of alcoholic liver failure in 1997)

>Going to a mechanic? Don't waste your money, boy. I remember me and my cousin Billy did all the work on my first car, a '49 Ford. It's easy.

>Paid cash for that vehicle after working a single summer as a paperboy. You shouldn't ever have to borrow money for a car.

ungrateful wankers. my dad was never into cars.

>tfw your dad wrapped his dad's split window Corvette stingray around a high school football goal post
>because his dad decided to buy a brand fucking new car rather than pay the bills

I both love and hate my dad's side of the family.

I worked for a summer to buy my first car.
It isn't really that crazy.

How about your dad crashing all of the cars in the goddamn family.

i got my first car, a 71 chevelle, for a $250 in 1989, it did have a blown transmission through.

I got my first car, a '32 model a, for ten dollars in 1773. It was just a few bits of upholstery though

Our parents had better a better 'life' but we have a better 'quality of life' and that aint cheap.

quality of life?

living in modern day slavery together with sheeple brainwashed worse than ever is quality of life to you?

shit.. heil hitler

I cam sympathize with most of that stuff but user, why do you need Cadillac converters? Won't original or generic converters do? Seems wasteful to me, son.

Fix all that shit yourself cunt.

No, having iWhatevers and modern medicine dingus

EFI, cars that park themselves, cars that drive themselves, food that orders itself, delivers itself, fucking pays for itself.

VIdeo games we directly download to our systems, music we directly play out of the fucking sky, cars we start up from our phones, security systems we directly view at any time.

No money in the world back then could give you the quality of life we have on demand today.

Whether we need, want, or even use these features doesn't matter.

I'll do you one better. Not only is my dad not into cars, he also makes about $1m/yr. $7m in the bank cuz he doesnt trust the stock market. He drives a 92 Explorer and also a 97 F350. Wastes money on everything but cars (atv/jetski/boat, land, prepper supplies)

Of course he's a need-know-value-of-dollar guy so he's never given me a cent for much, certainly not for cars despite my passion, which I'm definitely not sour about. He says "cars are a waste of money"

>could have grown up turning wrenches with dad on project cars
>could have snuck out joyriding in his ferrari were he to have one

Irritating

>buy $1000 shitbox at 17 with no help
>car has no major problems
>what it does have I fix

YOU GOT RIPPED OFF I CANT BELIEVE YOU BOUGHT THAT CAR YOU SHOULD HAVE LET ME PICK YOU SOMETHING

>he buys a Kia Soul for himself

kek

Shut the he'll up spoiled bratboi

>But seriously 7k for a fucking Nissan with 140k miles is absolute ass
I was shopping for a new car recently, and every SUV was that price or higher and in that mileage range.

Well he's not wrong... Cars are a waste of money in the long term

Sounds about right. I graduated in 88, the school parking lot had all kinds of muscle cars in the lot.
I must say many were pretty shitty at the time, but most of us here would take any of them right now.
Common cars were Camaro, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Dusters and Demons, a couple Cudas, and of course plenty of jacked up Cutlasses.

>not buying a project car every year and flipping them for a profit
Breddy gud way to stay in the black desu.

>EFI, cars that park themselves, cars that drive themselves, food that orders itself, delivers itself, fucking pays for itself.
that i'll give you
>VIdeo games we directly download to our systems, music we directly play out of the fucking sky, cars we start up from our phones, security systems we directly view at any time.
honestly this shit is convenient, but it's still just distractions and doesn't determine your 'quality of life'
i'd take cheap cars and upkeep over vidya any day, but here in europe everything is taxed to hell and back

my dad wasn't mechanically inclined at all, but he did know a fair amount about computers and networking. tought me a fair amount. we'd also play custom warcraft 3 games together. I'll never play DotA allstars with my dad ever again ;_;

>tfw dad died before I could ever know him or learn from him at all
>tfw 19 and no license and no car with neither being in sight

We never recovered financially. I should probably drop out of college, financial aid fucked me out of $9,000 this year for no real reason and so the college I was going to free for I'm now in the hole for.

You'll get a car user.

avoid sally may
get a beater shitbox
enjoy life m8

>Yurope
Theres the problem. If i lived in a country where you had to be 18 to buy plastic knives id get out quick

>be good with money management
>go into the service at 20
>make decent enough dosh to afford a nice car
>show up at mom's house with brand new Challenger
>listen to old people complain that they could never afford a new car when they were my age

Literally all I ever hear. Well, that and any variation of

>did your parents buy you that?
>that's irresponsible
>is that your boss's car
>someone has a sugar momma

Come on now, Champ, you're wasting your time arguing semantics in your room all day with strangers.

Your mother and I talked, and we think it's about time you started looking for a job. Now come on there Champ, I won't take no for an answer. If you want that 3k civic with all those "mods" you talk about, well then you better start earning your own keep around here.

Come on now, I'll be in the car. I'll take you around town until you get a job. It's as simple as walking in, asking to speak with the manager, looking him firm in the eyes, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you're the man for the job.

>Your dad makes 1/mil a year
>Not you

Think how much he'd have if he didn't have to support a family.

Then you turn around and complain on a Chinese cartoon website about what you don't have?

Get a fucking job and attempt to pay for something whats the worse that could happen?

>dad makes $1mil a year
>doesn't set you up with a cushy, well-paying job

Your dad is "smart" enough to make lots of money, but he's a fucking moron. The whole "value of money" thing is bullshit proliferated by temporarily embarrassed capitalists who are SURE they're going to make it someday.

My stepsister is leagues ahead of my brother and I because her biological father paid for her to go to college and bought her several cars along the way, put her up in nice apartments, gave her an allowance, etc. That's the power of money.

Anyone who's too shitty a parent to use your money/power/influence to give your kids a leg up in life needs to rethink their entire existence.

You're right, money is the root of all evil.

The time is now to go back to farming the land and bartering with goats.

where can I buy a Cadillac converter for my car

Summit Racing has them. But you need a firm hamdshake.

What fucking suv are you looking at?

If you're going to do something, do it right. If it came with Cadillacs from the get go, they would not need replacing now.

>this nigga

Yeah because people were dying from the flu in the 80s.

It is if your expenses aren't taken care of by your parents

Your dad is so perfectly autistic.
He actually thinks like a king, land,weapons,and practical vehicles > flashy bullshit

Buying fancy sports cars is not equal to a "leg up" in any sense of the word.

I'm sure millionaire son in this thread has not gone with out. his daddy just didn't fork over a fancy sports car to sate his "passion"

I bought an echo for $300 and put it on the road for $200. And that's in Canadian dollars.

Only difference from now and back then is the cars we can get cheap, kinda suck.

>plenty of jacked up Cutlasses
ROCKET STRONG
SPIT OUT BABY CHEVY SMALL BLOCK LIKE VAGINAL DISCHARGE OF FAVORITE GENERAL MOTORS DIVISION

>mfw built rat rod 55 ford in driveway with dad at age 12
>Now 23, on my own since 17, bought, built, restored, wrecked and sold over 25 vehicles since age 15.
>life is good

Post truck. '95-'03 is best years of F-350, but only if diesel

>tfw I just bought a nissan for $600

Strange he thinks cars are a waste of money to which they are to SOME degree,
Yet doesn't think twice about wasting money on ATV's/boats/bikes, proper crap etc.

If you're making 1mil/yr it's perfectly fine to either buy any 80s/90s muscle or sports car since most are all under $10k
Or 1 or 2 $35k cars like a new mustang/BMW m4/BRZ etc.

If I was a millionaire I don't think I'd really want to waste money on a supercar

Id just buy every 80s/90s muscle/sports car and have a big garage and paint booth to work on them in my freetime

nice job, enjoy it breaking the fuck down because literally no one sells any car for less than a thousand unless its one hell of a pile

>having to switch cars every four months because you keep buying turds
>life is good
Life is good when you make a good choice the first or second time and can rely on a car for years, and for years to come.

it's inspected until feb and that's how long it'll last the body is fucked but it runs alright brakes aren't the greatest but it's 100% road legal for now

Maybe if youre completely clueless about vehicles. Been dd'ing a $200 shitbox civic for 6 years. Has over 450k and never left me stranded. Same as my $1500 f150, been using it for everything with less than $500 I'm repairs in the past 4 years.

Cheap vehicles don't have to be junk, just don't buy a pos that's been fucked 6 ways from Sunday by a 16 year old kid

Same except no college (yet) and I have my permit. Honestly if you got $9000 for college you oughta be able to reasonably save up for a shitbox
>tfw friends all can and do have cars yet none have licenses

God you guys must have shit boomer parents
My grandpa is basically my real dad since my dad is a drunk,
>my grandpa paid for his college drag racing a 68 gto 400HO
>only ever lost to a roadrunner with some weird transmission setup I've never heard of
>drove diesels for a while and did all kinds of badass shit
>settles down with his wife and raises my mom and aunt
>once done he and my grandma go to Kenya and do missionary work for 4 years , proceed to intervene and stop tribal wars and whatnot, lucky he didn't get killed by somolian Muslims desu
>comes back
>basically raises me since I was 7
>become right wing ubermensch like him
>I get into cars when I'm 16
>teaches me to drive stick
>buy myself a miata
>he jokes about it a lot at first
>"might want to a lot a couple extra minutes to your trip in that thing it'll struggle "
>he helps with my tarbo build
>teaches me welding, helps me fab a downpipe
>actually impressed with how fast it is (like 250bhp)
>"my gto never handled like this holy crap"
>at the end of the project I tell him:
>"ya know you're the best dad a kid could ask for
>"you're the best son I could ask for "
>mfw

I envy all of the guys here who lived in Peak America

>Imblying this doesn't work today so long as you're even remotely white.

there used to be a time where you could get 300$ shitboxes that ran

than obama happened and ruined everything.

fuck i used to buy a 300$ shitbox once every 2 years

hell i remember my 300$ of jelly bean (pic relate) that lasted 4 years before the engine mounts snapped and the engine went into the radiator.

but now a days you MIGHT find a 300$ car that runs if you are lucky.

i mean shit i sold the clapped out piece of shit 1999 breeze that had shit tons of wiring issues and a dead fuel pump for 300$ that i left sitting in my garage for 3 years

He never said he gave up on any of them. I buy/sell/trade cars/trucks/atvs/boats all the time. I just get bored of them pretty quickly. It's unusual for me too keep a vehicle longer than 6 months.

>tfw got my first job by walking in and asking for a manager
>wasnt a fucking sperg so he decided on an impromptu interview then and there
>a week later I was employed
Probably luck tho

you can find $300 cars that run easy here but they won't be inspectable at all.

I dont have $9000 for college user

t. Obama

Got a 68 chevelle with a 307 for $3500 in socal back in 2002. Bought it from the original owner, he gave me a picture of him buying the car at the dealership and the original pink slip. it still had the original black plates on it and ran strong.

Right when I got there another 30 something yeast old man showed up with 7k in an envelope and tried to get him to sell it to him instead. The old dude straight up days "no, it's going to the kid." dude was fuming and Leroy pulling the money out and waving it around. All I had was 2k from working as a lifeguard for two summers and my dad gave me 1500.

Based old man.

I completely restored the car and had the interior and exterior redone in black. I had intentions of passing it to my son but three years ago I went through a custody battle and had to sell it to keep my lawyer. On the upside I ended up with custody but it still fucking sucks.

Sometimes old guys selling cars can be damn cool.

>includes eg civic
>no sw20
what is life

this is literally my dad, he had around 15shitboxes in his live and totaled around 10 of them before his 30s.

He never shared his stories (most likely not to be a bad influence) but I bet he has some fun race stories

That was a real inspiration speak, anen :) ;( ;)

>Honestly if you got $9000 for college
No, those financial aid offers often have conditions such as you must maintain a minimum GPA with a full courseload. If you drop out, fail to have a GPA, or keep dropping courses because fooling around is more fun, then of course the scholarship will be revoked and you'll have to pay back the school for the amount that was expended.

At least, that's how a lot of scholarships at my school worked out. I had good grades in high school and my state college wanted me so I had a 2 year full ride offer which I took. As a priority newbie, I had high picking choice at the dorms so I picked one next to the five story science and engineering library.

For fun, I did various public service activities through some campus organizations and that was good for the resume too. Fortunately, some of our groups won awards and one of them we were 3rd place in the nation among all the college chapters. We put in a lot of work on that project, but we lucked out due to a builder taking us under his wing and basically letting us do a lot of stuff. State law requires pay, but we signed back all the amount so that the builder could then donate it to the university as his donation. To this day I don't know how that is legal, but it's how weird these corporations and accounting things are. In return, we got to be involved from beginning to end on a whole construction project for a disadvantaged elderly person's home.

No drinking and no drugs were part of how I kept that GPA up to maintain qualification for the full ride scholarships. After all, if I didn't have a Dean's List GPA and full course load, the full ride scholarship would be cancelled.

facebook jdm trash what did u expect
no 4ag corolla either

>I envy all of the guys here who lived in Peak America
Right now is Peak America. Diversity continues to increase, so america's peak possibilities continue to increase.

yeah, think of all the ways muslims can commit mass murder now
so many possibilities

I've got a similar story, see below

Absolutely. Guy from my mom's old circle of friends in college was selling his '71 Plymouth Roadrunner. Second owner, bought it in '73 when they all graduated. I remember he said he "sold it for about a weekend" when the oil crisis hit later that year, but after a few days he decided he couldn't part with it and gave the guy who he sold it to his money back lol. This car was beloved, a member of the family.

It was decidedly worn looking (inside and out), been through a couple Earl Scheib paint jobs over the years and some small bondo spot work, but it was mechanically solid. He'd had a lot of interest in it, but it was mostly from guys about his age trying to recapture their youth or whatever. He wouldn't sell it to another old guy. He wanted the car to go to a young kid who'd "beat whatever snot was still left in it out". It took him quite a while to find a buyer who he deemed worthy, but it eventually went to another fresh graduate who swore to "piss off cops" and all that. He still keeps in touch with that young man from time to time, apparently there's an EFI setup, better brakes, and "talk of putting a blower on it" on it now. Good shit.

Are you saying that cash for clunkers was beneficial and not a complete disaster?

I'm the millionaires son responding

He divorced my mom before I turned 1. Rather she divorced him. He paid her child support of $300/month until I was 18. He supports nobody else, though as he's gotten older he's softened a bit... now he's helping some of his brothers and sisters when they fall on hard times.

I agree halfway, it's MOSTLY bullshit, but it starts to make sense the older I get. He told me he'd get me into medical school and land a job at a great hospital if I wanted to go that route but that I'd have to pay for school, no handouts. I didn't go that route for my own reasons.

You got that right. I go visit him 4-5 times a year and his compound gets more and more badass every time. Come to think of it, he's more like a well-financed cult leader but with zero followers.

No I've never gone without. But I've never been given really anything either. First job at 14, paid for and worked through college, lived with mom paying rent after school but finally found a job now here I am. Owned twelve cars in life, paid for by me only (there were shitboxes... many).

I don't have one handy, sorry. It's white, he bought it with 200k on it from a state auction. Was used by state Highway workers, kek

He wastes money all the time. He's got two fucking Golden Tee arcade games. I totally WISH he'd grab some mechanical passion but he always just pays someone to come fix the shit he ruins during the course of a normal week

When I was broke he would fill my gas tank for the drive home and when I had a birthday I'd get a card with $100 in it... that's pretty much the extent. Now though, he still offers to give me gas money and I reject it cuz I don't need it. Now he tries giving me cash for no reason but I never take it. Maybe the experiment worked?

Oh additionally, you bet your sweet anonymous ass it's a diesel. Thing is a beast, not a dually but sounds like it runs on brimstone. It'll probably outlast me

Who cares. Spend three months on your computer and you can buy a lambo. Baby boomers had to spend a year working 60 hours a week and saving every penny to afford their old shitboxes

This is a pretty good point. Boomers literally had to worry about Vietnam while they were working their manual labor job to get a car. Most people here could learn a programming skill and only have to worry about getting too fat from drinking mountain dew.

Hnnnggg 7.3 powerstrokes are the best. I really want one like dis

You can still find $3-600 Taurases on CL my dude. They're like fucking cockroaches for how bad they can be.

>Oxygen sensors
>Carburetor
Nice b8 m8

I was in my early teens around 2000 and muscle cars hadn't turned into "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" yet. There were plenty of them in poor shape around town being driven by younger guys with no money. I remember a 442 with a door caved in and covered in flat latex housepaint. A local garage had all kinds of shit, including a 1972 GTO, rotting away in the back lot.

When Craigslist first hit the northeast I saw an ad for a running 1967 in decent shape for $900. Legit ad too.

It's all relative, nothing much has changed.

800 then was worth more than it does now, and that Camaro probably lasted 2 years tops before it fell apart, and had no insurance on it, either. He managed to get a 69 Camaro for so cheap because it was worth almost nothing then, either. It was the EM2 Civic SI of the day, if you will. A 10 year old shitbox.

I worked for a summer, and had enough saved up to buy a car, insure it, maintain it, wreck it and buy another one and still have 500 to work on it.

The one thing I'm envious about is the simplicity of cars then. If I could get a quad carb setup for my Civ', I'd do it in a heartbeat.

>It's as simple as walking in, asking to speak with the manager, looking him firm in the eyes, giving him a firm handshake, and telling him you're the man for the job.

That's not too far off really. The whole entitled millennial "there are NO JOBS I send a million applications every week" is BS that spergy losers spout to feel better about collecting autismbucks.

My first girlfriend was a smart but dirt poor 21yo college dropout struggling with depression. She parroted the Veeky Forums job whine whine we were together and never got a job. After we split she got on antidepressants and starting trying to talk people into hiring her. Last I heard she was successful doing account management for some kind of industrial scientific company.

I feel you user, im 22 with a '15 Camaro SS. Kids my age think it's either daddy's car/money while the old guys are either "hey man nice car, I had a whatever hotrod when I was your age" or stingy AF in their cuckmobile that the wife had to get

Normally I'm all in for the Millenial hate, but jobs are a serious issue for everyone in my province. The only real way to make money is to move to Alberta.

3 years in between jobs, and where I'm at now really isn't somewhere I want to be for a long time.

>province

I'm talking about developed nations

Kek

Just did a local check, CB, where I live, has an unemployment rate of 12.3%, a 0.1% decrease from last year.

>only had vague interest in cars
>liked looking at pictures and stuff but never cared much
>get my first car and suddenly interest skyrockets
>shortly after my mechanic dad gets put in prison
>have to use up his weekly call to ask questions or shoot an email that he rarely checks

wish I was interested while he was still around desu

>Cadillac converters

Thank God you screen capped this
I really wanted to save this story so I can read it whenever I want to imagine having a decent g'dad

literally me
>be 18
>paid $1000 for a Buick Century
>replace spark plugs and recharge AC
>no issues whatsoever

meanwhile his Dealership™ SUV won't stop breaking down

>Theres the problem. If i lived in a country where you had to be 18 to buy plastic knives id get out quick

UK never considered themselves part of Europe

Now, I've been employed in one job for my whole life.

But, isnt this normally how people get jobs? My Grandfather says that he just used to turn up on the day and ask for work.

>Taking it to a shop
Kys

>But, isnt this normally how people get jobs?
It still is, but society has moved away from that model due to all the job firms, tools like craig's list, monster.com and websites where an employer can look for employees. Another factor are the government job agencies that keep on trying to place minorities.

>cold walk in and impromptu interview
My corp doesn't allow this due to lawsuits. If they don't get hired, we get a discrimination lawsuit if they aren't hired. That's why we are told to never offer anything, to not answer leading questions, and not even offer or suggest an interview is possible. We are to tell them to contact the HR office.

>Cadillac converters

>Give the owner a firm handshake, look him in the eye and tell him 'not a dime more than $600'.
These kinds of low ballers show up all the time. They suck.