"We are in the midst of a shift from being primarily a product economy to a knowledge economy...

>"We are in the midst of a shift from being primarily a product economy to a knowledge economy," said NBC business correspondent Ali Velshi. Those without the knowledge aren't participating in it: We don't have a jobs gap. We have a skills gap.
> University of Illinois at Chicago economics professor Lawrence Officer told American Public Media's Marketplace these workers are the "structurally unemployed."
>"Structurally, their industries, their firms have shrunk or vanished, and their skills remain, but they are not easily transferable to other sectors where there's a demand for labor," he said.
>Retraining programs do exist, but compared to countries such as Germany the U.S. lags far behind demand for apprenticeship and retraining programs for displaced workers.
>Those workers with less education can then feel tossed in the trash. And according to exit polls, they voted for Trump

Non-American here. Why isn't there widespread political and business backing for providing free education and retraining for displaced workers in America? Businesses will have a larger pool of workers with skills they're seeking and more people working means more people with money to spend. The government gets happier citizens that pay taxes.

Also, as I understand it, Republicans want to cut welfare and unemployment payments. Why would someone relying on government assistance vote for the party that wants to cut the assistance they're on?

nbcnews.com/business/economy/recovery-skipped-workers-without-degrees-turning-them-trump-n716096

Democrats tried multiple times to pass educational and infrastructure bills to help these people but republicans kept shooting them down.

Why do people vote against their economic interests? Since the 60's republicans have used the Southern Strategy to good effect. Basically, they play on social issues to get people to vote against their economic interests. Bob in West Virginia doesn't know much about international trade, the tax code, or renewable energy. He hears his local GOP candidate rallying against those damn immigrants and Muslims and ignores the fact that tax cuts for the wealthy aren't going to help get his job back.

>Why isn't there widespread political and business backing for providing free education and retraining for displaced workers in America

pajeets are cheaper

Republicans tried multiple times to pass educational and infrastructure bills to help these people but democrats kept shooting them down.

Why do people vote against their economic interests? Since the 60's democrats have used the Californian Strategy to good effect. Basically, they play on social issues to get people to vote against their economic interests. Juan in Los Angeles doesn't know much about international trade, the tax code, or renewable energy. He hears his local Dem candidate rallying against those damn privileged white men and Republicans and ignores the fact thatmore welfare for illegal aliens and lazy bums aren't going to help get the outsourced companies back.

There's a large portion of America that's plain stubborn and refuses to accept reality. Instead of realizing that the world has changed and adapting, they demand things go back to the way they are. Some guy who lost his manufacturing job doesn't think to himself "hmmm, well the Chinese have a competitive advantage in manufacturing due to their low wages, so I should find a field with better career prospects," he thinks "I had this job since I got out of high school, I DEMAND having it forever."

>Why would someone relying on government assistance vote for the party that wants to cut the assistance they're on?

Maybe because they aren't niggers, they want a real job and not to live off the government.

Businesses want the least amount of taxes period. They don't really give a shit about the people. Republicans are controlled by businesses even moreso than Democrats hence why they don't support it.

Education is a meme. They do not provide you with skills anymore than reading a book does. Learning about something =/= being able to do something.

>Why would someone relying on government assistance vote for the party that wants to cut the assistance they're on?
Because they understand the reasons for their jobs leaving, and in order to entice them to come back they have to get rid of the gimmidats and their mentality of a free ride.

Cash welfare assistance is limited to 5 years during a person's adult lifetime. 99% of recipients go off of welfare before hitting the limit. I don't see the issue with providing citizens temporary assistance during times of need.

Guys.

Reality.

90 Percent of he country doesn't have a clue about economics.
They vote Republican if you say God or military.
Or don't vote at all because they have zero interest in politics (democrat voting base)

Stupidity is a tool to be used.
Trump got elected gambling on people's stupidity.
It isn't rocket science.
It's just something we have to get used to.
Society moves at the pace of its slowest.

>Republicans tried multiple times to pass educational and infrastructure bills to help these people but democrats kept shooting them down

Source?

Yeah, you have to admit Republicans constantly vote against their own self interest.

Going to war?
Deregulation of environmental standards?
Different forms of energy?
Anti union?
Tax breaks for the rich?

Yeah that will work one of these times, right

> Or don't vote at all because they have zero interest in politics (democrat voting base)

Simply untrue. Plenty of people who didn't vote were watching the presidential campaign closely. It wasn't worth voting for a system that clearly is flawed. You have two individuals that shouldn't even be running, running. Coupled with a Electoral College. It simply isn't a democracy by any means.

I would say the opposite is true. See, rebuplican voters earn more money on average, they have better understanding of money and economics too.

Democrats voted for hillary for reasons such as "she has a vagina".

Nah dude, you're looking at it the wrong way.
Yes Republicans have the rich (obviously) but 95% of Republicans are stupid and poor.. who have been tricked into voting against their own self interest.

Of course some vote for stupid reasons, but when it comes to the voters themselves, Democrats certainly have the more informed and intelligent voters.
Problem is they can't get the dumb people who Would vote democrat to come out to vote.

Okay mr. democrat. Whatever you wish to believe. Usually, earning and wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence.

Democrats have overwhelming voter base in lowest earning bracket, and black & latino communities. That should tell you enough.

Wealth also correlates with age, GOP voters were mostly older. Dem voters are more educated (i.e. they appear on the statistics as having higher educational attainment), though I'm not sure how much that has to do with higher education being less common in older cohorts.

I'm not a liberal, actually.
But come on dude, you honestly don't think atleast 80% of Republicans don't vote becasue of "God, Guns, and the flag"?

and many Dem voters didn't vote because of "HES HITLER!!1" etc?
Welcome to identity politics.

>free education and retraining for displaced workers in America?

Because you Americans literally don't care about Education.

You cater your entire education system to the lowest common denominators.

Your 'Merican White, Asian, Latino, & Indian students are held back so that your Niggers don't look bad in comparison.

American education is not about identifying and nurturing the smartest & brightest.

American education is all about bringing everyone down to Nigger levels so everyone can be "equal."

Dude, come on.
Doesn't take an intelligent person to see that Trump is extremely over his head, the poor guy is lost

>Your 'Merican White, Asian, Latino, & Indian students are held back so that your Niggers don't look bad in comparison.
>American education is not about identifying and nurturing the smartest & brightest.
>American education is all about bringing everyone down to Nigger levels so everyone can be "equal."
Not true at all. Any inner-city school will have AP classes.

>You cater your entire education system to the lowest common denominators.
>Your 'Merican White, Asian, Latino, & Indian students are held back so that your Niggers don't look bad in comparison.

Fun Fact: The Oakland Unified School District had so many 5th and 6th year senior Niggers who couldn't graduate due to failing English, that Oakland decided to make Ebonics an official language just so they could get rid of the illiterate Niggers.

On December 18, 1996, the Oakland Unified School District school board of Oakland, California, United States, passed a controversial resolution recognizing the legitimacy of Ebonics — what mainstream linguists more commonly term African American Vernacular English (AAVE) — as an African language. The resolution set off a firestorm of media criticism and ignited a national debate.

> For students whose primary language was "Ebonics", the Oakland resolution mandated some instruction in this, both for "maintaining the legitimacy and richness of such language."

>Not true at all.
>On December 18, 1996, the Oakland Unified School District school board of Oakland, California, United States, passed a controversial resolution recognizing the legitimacy of Ebonics.
> For students whose primary language was "Ebonics", the Oakland resolution mandated some instruction in this, both for "maintaining the legitimacy and richness of such language."

The More You Know (tm)

>Fun Fact: The Oakland Unified School District had so many 5th and 6th year senior Niggers who couldn't graduate due to failing English, that Oakland decided to make Ebonics an official language just so they could get rid of the illiterate Niggers.

Do any of you 'Mericans ever wonder why you have so many Niggers in the work place who have "degrees" but can't fucking speak basic English?

Know you know.

Because 90% of people that go to college get shit degrees and the universities don't teach or train you for shit.

American taxpayers don't want to foot the bill for these tards

Democraps think raising taxes to pay for more overpriced and ineffective programs is going to fix all problems

>Obama totes did none of these these things, only evil dumb Republicans do that

Oh wait

>Why do they shoot down our massive gibs dats tax hike bills full of pork and special interests to create more ineffective welfare

Demoshits are the party of dindus and beaners, the most uneducated and fear based voting groups in the country by percentage, but they ignore that and only focus on poor Republicans

They were the equivalent of ESL classes, meaning you had to be placed specifically in them.

>meaning you had to be placed specifically in them

Yup. Oakland Unified definitely found a place for these Niggers. Right on the fucking streets of Oakland, Berkeley, & Richmond.

Great job, OUSD.

This actually proves the opposite of what you were trying to say, as they separated and isolated the ones that couldn't speak english well enough.

What are you even saying here?

>they separated and isolated the ones that couldn't speak english well

Jesus. Stop making fucking assumptions.

They literally put every fucking Nigger in those classes.

Can you imagine the Cluster Fuck of a shitstorm if the WHITE teachers placed and ISOLATED the niggers into ebonics classes??!?!?

Are you stupid???

The Niggers segregated themselves. They all CHOSE to take ebonics classes.

"Forcing niggers to take ebonics" lolol... holy shit.. that would have been quite a show.

>What are you even saying here?

The school district did the kids a HUGE disservice by allowing them to graduate without basic english skills.

If you've never visited Oakland or Richmond, they are essentially the shit hole, crime & murder hols of the Bay Area.

Letting the unprepared kids graduate was basically OUSD "getting rid" of their problems.

That's not how ESL classes work, and from what I read they were taught as ESL classes.
Regardless, that still doesn't change the fact that they were being isolated, even if it was voluntary.

This I 100% agree with you on. Most poorer school districts do anything they can to get students out the door and it just fucks them over.

>that still doesn't change the fact that they were being isolated, even if it was voluntary.

You sound like you've never lived in an area with a large black populations.

You don't need to "isolate" blacks. They self segregate.

I'm pissed off and to an extent impressed how Republicans can distract voters to get angry at Shaniqua getting a few hundred dollars of food stamps a month for her 5 kids but ignoring Mr. Billionarie or XYZ megacorporation getting millions in tax cuts.

I work underwriting commercial loans and we usually require the guarantees of owners so I get and review their tax returns. I've seen people reporting over $100,000,000 in income and paying zero (0) in federal income taxes. Meanwhile I'm making ~$120,000 a year (depends on bonus) and paying over $30,000 in federal income and FICA/Medicare taxes. A lot of the rage is being misdirected. I wish I could plaster tax returns of the rich for everyone to see but it's literally illegal for me to do so.

I have. What I meant by that is they they aren't bringing down the good kids. (The exception to do this being elementary school in most places, however elementary schools are so tightly zoned that this usually doesn't matter)

I'm pretty liberal but I generally agree the public education system needs major work.

I think every shitbird that is disrupting fellow (regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, etc) students needs to be expelled and placed in a newly made school system for the "distracted students." If you get 3 major violations in middle school or high school (fights, stealing, fucking shit up in general, etc) you are placed in the alternative school with the other delinquents.

Also, we need more funding for special education schools. I visited family in Texas and they don't properly fund their SpecEd schools so many literally seriously autistic and disable kids are forced to attend public school and teachers have to waste a big portion of their time dealing with them.

>What I meant by that is they they aren't bringing down the good kids

This is where you and I strongly disagree.

I have a 4 year old and watch our local school districts like a hawk.

Catering to the lowest common denominator in our schools has ABSOLUTELY destroyed the quality of education in our public schools.

Anybody successful nowadays tries to send their kids to private school.

Urban public schools are pretty much modern day detention centers. The teachers don't give a shit if nobody learns. They're just happy to keep the peace.

Depends where the urban public school is.
For example, public schools in Lower Manhattan are baller as fuck.

It is kind of strange OP. Maybe we're just too big? Or maybe people are confused about what these policies mean and business interests would rather keep people unskilled and exploitable.

I haven't seen a single halfway logical 'republican' on this forum ever. Always just spewing shit about 'niggers' and 'welfare checks' while ignoring the big picture. Gullible fucking idiots with an unjustified superiority complex.

The only thing wrong with this fallacy is that it assumes everyone either:

A. Possesses the nessesary aptitude for high tech jobs.

B. Wants to work those kinds of jobs to begin with.

>public schools in Lower Manhattan are baller as fuck.

lol

A 2 bedroom condo in Lower Manhattan is like 3 million dollars. The only niggers there either play basketball or sing.

>Fun Fact: The Oakland Unified School District had so many 5th and 6th year senior Niggers who couldn't graduate due to failing English, that Oakland decided to make Ebonics an official language just so they could get rid of the illiterate Niggers.

Holy shit, I thought Ebonics was a joke.

>Thread about a legitimate and serious issues
>Devolves into /pol/ shitposting because hurr durr Trump was mentioned once

You people will happily bicker while society burns. Enjoy the school shootings.

>>Thread about a legitimate and serious issues

>On December 18, 1996, the Oakland Unified School District school board of Oakland, California, United States, passed a controversial resolution recognizing the legitimacy of Ebonics — what mainstream linguists more commonly term African American Vernacular English (AAVE) — as an African language. The resolution set off a firestorm of media criticism and ignited a national debate.

We're talking about the state of the US education system and how it caters to the lowest common denominator.

Exactly on topic, actually.

Try to keep up.

I took an economics class under officer he knows his shit. Also I'm like 70% sure he smokes hella weed

It hasn't gone to overseas it was automated

Did you go to UIC? Me too

Educated in what? Feminist basket weaving?

I run two businesses, All the other busines owners I know are all Republican because they fundamentally understand that you create opportunity youself, and that government subsidation is not a staircase, it's a pitfall trap, particularly when it comes to people. I don't hire welfare bums, I don't rent to section 8 failures, and I put zero credence in government funded degrees in Marxist liberal arts degrees when I'm throwing job applications in the trash.

Yeah I'm in my last semester. Is pretty good school and it sucks that it doesn't have more interest from firms

I think what some people seem to misunderstand is the following isn't applicable long-term
>"We are in the midst of a shift from being primarily a product economy to a knowledge economy," said NBC business correspondent Ali Velshi. Those without the knowledge aren't participating in it: We don't have a jobs gap. We have a skills gap.

And this is only because it is non-productive. Every economist differs on what he considers productive and non-productive. But in a service based-economy there is nothing to produce, no output to be found, just a bunch of sales through services, and the wage units granted to these employees rise in density of the monetary unit faster than other productive position's wage units. Which is why you see these jobs leaving where they can be relegated to countries so the owners of the Companies can earn a higher profit to compete with the service based institutions' profits. Now the pecuniary class is predominantly composed of people on their way to the leisure class or from the working class. If you read Veblen, you'd know the only reason this is possible is because the pecuniary institutions have wormed their way through usury and other contrivances into the hearts and minds of every citizen in the country. Now to the degree of which the country is focusing on pecuniary service-based institutions, I can guarantee they will be more miserable. To the degree they focus on productivity and improvement of morality, they will be happier.

This means a couple of things
a)the new jobs in a change of intellectualism do not necessarily have to be physically arduous, just psychically, especially because of the improved nature of machinery
b)they do not and SHOULD not focus on either the money-grabbing aspects of the pecuniary culture or focus on the atheistic, cold demoralizing stance of scientific advancement in faster production and faster movement.

As Freud said in his Civilization and Its Discontents, we are really making a mistake in civilization, but he said we are focused on Beauty, Cleanliness, and Order, and that's it. Everything has its discrete little bubble. We are all content with living in our quiet little bubbles because we don't dare to live individualistically. The attitude of future progress, believe it or not, does not have to be focused on this unbelievably deterministic end of satiating basic needs like shelter (houses way too big), food (way too much obesity), and clothing (need I say) in a far greater degree than necessary. What it screams of is a philosophical mistake in mankind.

Now this brings me to the final point I wanted to make.
>Those workers with less education can then feel tossed in the trash. And according to exit polls, they voted for Trump
Yes they will. Now I don't believe in socialism, but I certainly don't agree with the practice of overpricing educational institutions to the point where overburdened amounts of debt with encumber people and haunt them their whole lives. The simplistic concept of providing education at reasonable rates to garner employment should be available for most Americans, but due to lacking monetary efficiency because of the wealth being sucked into the aforementioned holes it doesn't necessarily need to be siphoned into, it's not. If the area is literally so poor like Detroit just a simple glean from basic economic texts like Keynes' General Theory should show you that some investment would do wonders. Really, investing for the future potential and possibility of jobs is what's important. Get these people either a)working or b)learning and make sure that it's a perfect combination of the two with just a little bit favoring one side of the equation. Don't have them sitting on their asses accepting free hand outs from the government not going to college because they can't afford it because they can't work.

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed my time there (graduated in 2013). It's all about what you make of your time there. There are lots of resources. Lots of students don't take advantage of any of them and just skate by, ending up with a degree they can't use. I was on a lot of academic advisory boards and got to network with some influential people.

The school is better than the students that attend it.