I'm really havin trouble deciding a first car Veeky Forums, at first I wanted a BMW 3 series...

I'm really havin trouble deciding a first car Veeky Forums, at first I wanted a BMW 3 series, but I see everyone saying "bimmerfag", so idk if I should go for one of those or say a gti? what would you guys recommend for a good fastish first car? (inb4 check the sticky)

Rvery used 3 series is falling apart, please reconsider.

Get a 3 series. If you can afford the maintenance and upkeep they are great. Ive got an 07 335xi thats modded and it is fast as fuck. about 4k in repairs over the last year though..Fuckin I-drive was 2k. mechanically its been sound though.

I like the 328i. Find one that has had a recent major service performed though, ask for paperwork

You guys don't think there are better options? I was looking at Corrados for a while but they seemed malfunction heavy. Also what makes someone a bimmerfag? I just think its a timeless look with a good engine

e46 might just be the worst used car you can buy. Its not tunable or old enough to be cool like e36/e30. Its not new enough for normies to be impressed by you driving a bmw.

Good luck with your money pit.

If you want a decent 3 series get an early e92 which can be found at a steal around 6-10k

>bimmerfag
There's stereotypes for literally everything. Just learn not to give a fuck lol

well then what do you recommend I get?

is a bimmerfag just someone who drives a BMW?

I would assume so.

I think you might be over analyzing it. Don't be so concerned about what others think. You'll be happier that way

>If you want a decent 3 series get an early e92 which can be found at a steal around 6-10k

Don't bother getting anything older unless you have the means to fix almost anything yourself.
If I were to tell you to replace the rear trailing arm bushings or the idle control valve would you have any idea what to do?

trailing arm bushings yeah, idle control valve, no. I have the time and patience and enthusiasm to learn though, I'm not opposed to fixing my own car

Who cares what people say. Buy a car because you want it, not because it impresses people.
Buying a GTI is just as bad really, anyone who is in to cars will assume you have no taste.

Don't buy an E46 though, it will cost you too much as a first car. Get an E36, preferably an i6 and if you are serious about cars then just start replacing or upgrading everything. Parts are cheap if you crash it and maintenance is easy too. The compacts are better to drive hard than the sedan or coupe and are somewhat simpler in the rear but you will have more trouble finding parts.

Besides that you could just get a miata. Super reliable and you can get into mods straight away. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't loose money on selling it if you didn't like it either

Get an e36 if you want something fun to tool on. e46 will just be an endless pit for a whole lot of nothing.

Also I think the e36 is much better looking, but I'm biased.

If you want a nice newer daily and have the budget spring for an e92 328i

Better to be a bimmerfag than a chevyfag or audifag or any other fag, you must be new to 4chinz if you think the fag suffix is actually an insult

Anyway if you buy a fucking gti instead of a bimmer I'm going to personally find you and beat your ass

that's the problem I don't have the budget, I need to keep it around 4-5k

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just wanna get the best bang for my buck is all

are there any other cars I should be looking at besides an E36? I know a lot of people swear by Miatas, is there anything else?

e36 325 or 328 would be for you sir.

thank you for the help, i truly appreciate it

I mean, as far as cheap fun beginner cars go you probably won't do much better than an e36 328i or a miata

>best bang for my buck

You said the magic words. You brought this on yourself brother.

It's the e9x repair cost are way more higher than e46. Both already money pit for first car.

Most definitely. c5 is going to be super popular in a few years once people realize how much of a bargain they are for south of 10k

Alright it seems like an E36 is the way to go thank you guys for the help, although that of course leaves me with sedan or coupe?

e36 bimmerforums has DIY tutorials for every piece of that car being taken apart, including turbo kits etc. Great resources for parts and guides is pelican parts or ECS tuning.

envious cucks jealous may call you a ''bimmerfag'' because you would drive a great inline 6 powered manual rwd car with 50/50 weight balance etc.
bmw's are god tier cars

Coupe or compact

Get a compact and put the 328i engine in it.

Get a 135i if you want M3 power without paying the price.
With a tune and some other goodies, this thing is a real sleeper.

Just get whatever that's not expensive, since you are more than likely to break it in one way or another.
Get whatever you want, but remember, BMW drivers are known as stupid cunts, and you'll be seen as one if drive one, no matter how well you actually drive.

XR6 with a few simple mods will munch plenty of stock v8s