How was your year of riding, /dbt/?

>Bought shitbike in August
>September crashed and became a meme
>Oct-Dec nothing major
>First major out of town trip to Salvation Mountain in Dec
>Watched some girl flash her tits there
>Jan-Feb rode to Phoenix a bunch
>Nearly froze to death riding home in 20F in just a summer jacket and gloves
>Late feb ticketed with reckless driving for shit whoolie in front of highway patrol
>Got doxxed by MVAnon for sister photos
>Rode out to drag races in March
>April
>Pulled over for doing 80 in a 35
>Verbal warning
>Rode to Palomar Mountain and got to experience actual corners
>May
>Pulled over for doing 103 in a 45
>Verbal Warning again (lol)
>Early August
>Ticketed for expired tags before they were 72hrs out
>Now
>Looking at an FZ-10

>didn't have a bike until june
>buy my busa
>ride for one week then hop a curb after not taking an exit ramp speed seriously
>decided to cover rash in stickers
>get thumbs up from kids
>everyone checks out bike at work
>get a sloth as a riding buddy on back of bike
>go 180mph on it a last month
>enjoy the fuck out of it
>looking at a trials bike because I actually have a place around here to ride it

Noticed the pig

...I mean, it's not a real bi-HOLY SHIT. THAT IS A PIG.

I guess it really isn't possible to buy a busa and not cover it in shit

Why were you in Phoenix? That place is a shithole.

Where is you chain guard cj?

Would you ride a bike with this setup?

Hola /dbt/, I'm looking to get into bikes. There is a small dealership literally down the same street I live on that is selling a used 2014 Honda grom for $2400. Think its a good idea?

My sister lives there.

I thought it was ugly so I took it off.

No. Buy something half sensible

your sister lives in a shithole, friend.

Is that not sensible? idk what to get.

I'm inclined to agree.

Groms are good bikes, but dont expect to do highway speeds.

I think they are awesome second bikes, maybe not the greatest only bike though unless your just planning on bombing around the city with it.

A clown bike is never sensible, it's a toy that presumes you sort of know what you're doing.
Get a mid displacement twin from your local Craigslist that came out in the last 15 years. Avoid stealerships like the plague

>Commute to college all winter
>Ritual oil change, as excuse to visit for (immigrant) father's birthday.
>DENIED university admission (automatic transfer is a lie)
>Commute to shitty temp jobs
>Do 300-500 mile daytours to run from feelings on weekends
>Anime tank pad!
>First prescribed service. Hellish battle with flat tire, without blocks to rest bike on.
>THIS WEEK! Temp job pans out to union factory gig! Buy winter jacket to celebrate having somewhere to commute to!
>50 dollars in bank account. Play Ride 2 instead of daytour this week.

Next week there's a meet on Vashon island. Biplanes and bikes....but it says make reservations for the ferry and I'm out of money.

Oh, and my year starts in January because I'm a 365 rider.

>Bought r3 in July
>Rode til left for basic in December with no issue
>Came back in February and immediately crashed
>Continue to commute to work and ride all the time
>Buy DR650 in April
>Sell Dr650 in July
>Buy hornet 919 in July
>Ride to the tail of the dragon for SAM in July
>Have a blast
>Euros eternally btfo
>Fix up hornet and plan to sell it soon for much more than I paid for it
>Looking at 1st Gen R1 or CBR 900rr

>make six figures
>spend shitloads on rent, student loans and bike parts
>check valves this past week
>all are tight
>$4 cash in account
>don't wanna charge it
sigh

Quit buying blow and you'll do much better Baird
Seriously

Bought my R3 last July, only clocked 4000mi.
Pretty much rode all the canyons in the area and I went up and down Pacific Coast Highway at least 3 times.
Co-workers asked me to go bike meets with them on weekends but they usually end up getting drunk and do stupid shit like shut down freeways.

When did you crash yours?

In that area where I'm washing my bike 6mo after buying it.

Is this where all the no talent hacks hang out?

Hi how's it going?

Cops usually let you get away with a lot of shit on a bike.
I was going 120 on a clear freeway and a cop lit me up out of nowhere.
He just rode by next to me and gave me the hand signal to slowdown and took off.

I would just be riding it back and forth between home and work. Is like a 15 minute commute. Maybe fuck around with friends (I got a buddy with a ninja 300, and another with a ruckus)

Probably hang out with ruckus-buddy more than ninja-buddy too

This bike is so clean, gives me a stiffy.

just got back from a late night ride

who needs those?

Buy a CB500F.
It's got similar styling, if that's what you're into; is tailor-made for commuting; gets 80+mpg; is cheap to work on; reliable in the meantime; and a whole bunch of other reasons, peripheral to your concerns.
Not to say you'll regret starting small, but when you discover you WANT to ride places, you won't be limited by the bike.

I'm probably faster on foot than a Harley.

where is your cc's?

>tfw want a roadking for commuting.

Fuck getting old.

Anyone from London, UK here?
Is it true that you can ride all year?
Also how much a garage would cost?

>Getting old
I know what you mean.
I'm nowhere near Harley levels of old yet, though.
B-King, maybe.

I've bought blow like twice in the past year.

>Harley
>commuting
Yeah, if you want to get fired after a month for not turning up half the time.

This is a 83' VF750S Sabre i'm super interested in as a first bike, it goes for 1300 bucks.

Its almost surely been repainted right? highly doubt these things were originally white

I don't know if I can top that, but I sure can try.

Don't buy a 35 year old bike as a first bike

to me, 35 year old bikes are the only bikes

Here's a 80' CM400T just for you

is this thing still rear driven? Would it even work without the land-whale putting its weight on it?

Ooh boy sure do love spending more time fixing than riding a bike with relatively poor performance and ancient tech
But hey maybe my barista will suck me off cause of those retro aesthetics

It's probably got a gold wing engine in it. That shit can tow a car

>Ooh boy sure do love spending more time fixing than riding a bike

amen

I put in my full season of purgatory on a Ninja 250. Recommend me some good sport/standard/naked bikes I can find used in the American market.
Must be 500-750, liter is too much for insurance at this stage in my life.
2000s or newer.

I commute on two wheels and I like to do some spirited riding. I only do a couple long rides a year.

Reminder

Gixxer 750

We wuz fascism 'shiet

It's clearly a v4, so it's a sabre

>2017
>not having a plethora of sick days and vacation days stacked from years of time rolling over.

Any oilhead owners on here?

I'm looking upgrade from my current bike and these 1150s seem to tick the right boxes. I'd like to know if anyone here has dealt with em. I don't have a hard on for the BMW branding or anything so other suggestions are welcome.

I looked at FJRs but engine is buried and the exhaust note is boring.

Big yellow has one and loves it
Stay away from the 1200s, they have a lot more electronic farkles, but they self destruct

>Any oilhead owners on here?
Yes

>I'd like to know if anyone here has dealt with em.
Yes I have. What do you want to know?

Braap intensifies.

My town had a motorcycle swap meet at the municipal park. Scored decent bark busters for $25.

yeah I'm not interested in the 1200s, not my jam at all

I'll greentext to keep it organised
>are any of the regular maintenance items difficult or expensive?
>any special tools required?
>how is the corrosion resistance? do the plastics and rubbers withstand allweather use and harsh UV?
>any unexpected failures?
>how is the stock injection? ie transitioning on and off the throttle, does it pull from really low revs cleanly?
>has your final drive or brake servo failed yet?

Current ride is a k5 bandit 1200s, utterly reliable and one of the simplest multis on the road, but insufficient weather protection, chain drive sux, no luggage, and they corrode if you ride through winter.

I'm not getting trolled
not searching that pic forever
either say where or shut up

In the hands of the passenger

>are any of the regular maintenance items difficult or expensive?
Regular maintenance is easy and normally priced.
>any special tools required?
I only use normal screw drivers, two 1/2" ratchet sets with sockets and a 1/4" ratchet set with bits to do the majority of work. A small (you only need up to 110Nm) torque wrench and a 3/4" ratchet for the oil filter socket is a nice addition, but not really needed if you don't have the money.
>how is the corrosion resistance? do the plastics and rubbers withstand allweather use and harsh UV?
Mine is now 17 years old, parked outside. It has some surface rust, especially where it's exposed to salt. Only plastic part that keeps failing is the spark plug cover . Lost 3 already and they're ~€15 a piece, but it will run fine without them.
>any unexpected failures?
Mine had the exploding drive shaft (end drive was fucked), that's about it. The rest of the failures are expected, like some leaking seals, brake calipers and master cylinder need a rebuild etc.
>how is the stock injection? ie transitioning on and off the throttle, does it pull from really low revs cleanly?
It's pretty choppy, the engine doesn't help with that. You get used to it and only notice it really with someone on the back, who will slam into you if they don't hold on tight. It has enough low end torque, never problems there. I can even start riding on the clutch in 3rd.
>has your final drive or brake servo failed yet?
Final drive, yes. I don't have a brake servo, mine has no ABS. It's best to have one without ABS unless the POs used it every single day, but then the mileage is seriously high (>200k)

>sick days

Thanks for the detailed answer. That's a lot more conventional than I was expecting. I mean any bike over 10 years old you can expect some minor fixes here and there.

The other bikes on my shortlist would be:
>airhead RT
>buell xb12xt
>moto guzzi lemans
but they too have (plenty of) their own issues. One thing I am learning is that any bike has its issues, no one bike will do everything perfectly, and that good maintenance is worth more than anything else you can do to a bike.

A good thing too look for is what problems they have. A BMW R1150 has a lot of them, some might be deal breaking.
But if you know the failures, you can be ahead of them and replace things before they actually fail. It might cost a little bit more time, but if it were to go it would have costed more time and maybe end a trip.

I like it, would not trade my brand new GSX-s1000 for it... but once I have the money it will sit next to the Suz in the garage

>my bike is sick
>use 1 of my 700+ days off

When will Honda get their head out the ass and retcon the NC700 as the new transalp?
Seems like an easy way to get money from those of us who'd want something similar without having to pay x-adv money

Also they could do a special, lighter faired version of it or the AT in auto to push their retarded "DCT in superbikes" pipedream

Any major problems with the CBR500R? Only thing I don't like is the dash, but I prefer the more torquey engine over the R3.

The price and the utter lacking of any eedeeming feature

They're pretty close in price to the R3 second hand.

Which is why you should buy an SV

What if I don't want a naked?

How do I get the stink out of my gloves?

they are mostly polyester and nylon, only 10% genuine leather. Can it go in the washing machine?

And can it go in the dryer as well?

Seriously the smell is atrocious. It's not a sweaty/body odour smell, it's a sour vinegary smell.

Hand wash or whatever the washing instructions tell you to do

there are no washing instructions

I think the problem is that these gloves take forever to air dry, I'm talking more than a week, so bacteria grows in the dark moist environment, especially in the finger tips.

Is it ok to throw it in the tumble dryer?

Probably, but I would look up the make of gloves and see what other people have done just to be sure 2bh

>what is the SV s model
Not that a faired bike will do you any good
You'll drop it and totale it just with plastics costs

How does it take so long to dry?

Any guys from Baltic countries here? Im doing the latvia-lithuania-estonia trip in september and want to know what interesting things are there to see.

Rode through some north-eastern Slovakia lately and I kinda like this "end of the world" back road touring.

its a very obscure make, Lindstrand, I think only a handful of people in my couuntry actually uses this brand.

it's got like 4 layers inside it so its really, really comfy and also waterproof but a bitch to dry out.

Uma delicia

Guys

Why would anyone buy an antiquated tech Harley Davidson when things like Moto Guzzi Eldorado exists?

Between various riding modes, modern electronics, fancy brakes and 100hp and globs of torque why would people buy a dyna fat bob or similar?

>severely tempted to get myself a G00tzi.... Great authorized dealer nearby

Do it
I want a FLYING FUCKING FORTRESS once i'm unlimited

how reliable are motoguggi?

>be member of kikebook group
>someone says 'everyone post what you drive'
>I post my bike
>everyone says I have a small dick

The engines have stayed much the same for considerable time, with only mild modifications to suit emission requirements and such.

Im not expecting Honda level of reliability but I dont think its any worse than most other machines...

Post bike.

>sold F800R
>bought FZ1
>tracked a few times
>didn't go too hektik on the toogay
>kept working and learning on the project CBR

So I'm back to two bikes. Not too excited about track stuff lately.

Did my first fork service a few weeks back and that was fun. Also had my first experience with Helicoils and silicon gasket maker and all went fine.

when you start riding a bike you have a big dick

after a few hard wheelie landings you have a small dick