Why can't FWD be luxury?

Why can't FWD be luxury?

The whole point of a luxury car is that it's no holds barred, no corners were cut to save money. FWD is literally corner cutting in drivetrain format, but the major issue with FWD is their tendency to suffer from torque steer. Not a problem with your average FWD econobox, but with a powerful engine, it becomes more noticeable and increasingly concerning. One way to have FWD without torque steer is to go the Audi route and position the engine in front of the front wheels, throwing weight distribution out the window.

What I don't understand is why don't they make long nosed cars like in the past, position the engine right behind the front wheels, and use a driveshaft to power the front wheels? Is this design too dated or inefficient?

BMW isn't and shouldn't be luxury except for the 7 series and the 6 series.

>more cabin space
>not a luxury

why should my luxury car have the same drivetrain as a garbage truck?

FWD is superior on luxury vehicles

I dont think you read that post at all

for a myriad of reasons, packaging mostly. Also torque steer is not an issue with equal length driveshafts, good suspension geometry and a decent differential.

>the major issue with FWD is their tendency to suffer from torque steer.
it depends on the driver. Most time, it doesn't happen because most people drive them like a normal car.

BMW doesn't really know how to do luxury. They know performance and that's good, but luxury has always been Mercedes' strength, and it shows in both brands' flagship sedans.

The S-Class has always been superior to the 7-Series, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

BMW isn't trying to beat the S class in luxury, they know it won't outsell the S anyway.
But BMW very well knows how to build luxury cars - BMW builds Rolls Royce.

Most fwd cars have AWD as an option, do the bodies have a drivetrain tunnel still. If not, there's still an exhaust tunnel. And a tunnel is needed for structure stiffness. This argument is retarded.

>Removed infotainment system and used non Factory tires

>Most fwd cars have AWD as an option

>just like every other car competing for burger king times

Show me the corollas AWD option

Yeah that's true I would rather an s class over a 7 series but the interior in my 5 series is identical to the interior in the E class yet the 5er is funner to drive and performs better. I'll start worrying about ultra-luxury shit when I'm 50.

Who the actual fuck uses factory tires and keeps infotainment systems? Why does shit like this matter to benchracers?

>nuh uh they took out the factory shift knob and used a shinier one doesn't count doesn't count

>Implying anything below a 5 series is luxurious

>comparing weight reduction and race tires to using a shiny shift knob
Way to shoot yourself in the foot

They removed the infotainment to make up for the added weight of the floating roll cage

And those tires are optional

Anyone who's shooting for lap times is going to do those things anyways. Plus the shiny shift knob. Hence why they documented it instead of hiding the facts.

Tell me, why does it matter? Because you can't hand your car in showroom condition to an F1 driver and tell him to prove its superiority to some other guy's car?

Have you ever tried actually racing instead of bench racing?

Normies and badgewhores don't know or don't care about drivetrain layout.

>muh long-winded bench racing rant
The point isn't that they do those things you retard, yes obviously weight reduction and sticky tires are good for racing, did you think you have some insider knowledge here?

The reason it matters is because people pretend like burger king lap times are relevant when judging a street car and buying one when in reality the cars are modified in ways such that the actual street legal versions you get from a dealer won't perform like them at all.

Remember: by Veeky Forums's standards, even Audi and Subaru don't make real AWD systems.