My friend leased a 2017 Subaru STi and it completely broken today...

My friend leased a 2017 Subaru STi and it completely broken today. At 5000 miles the clutch was completely burned out and in pieces apparently, so he replaced it. It's at 7000 miles and today it broke down very badly.

He was showing me how he can shift without putting the clutch in... Didn't want to say anything but it didn't seem good. A few hours later there was this insane rattling every time he accelerated, I figured it to be a loose bolt on the exhaust or heat shield. About 10 - 20 minutes after the rattling the car completely shut down, no brakes, power steering, nothing. He got it to start by rev bombing it and inching it to a safe place. Any idea on what happened? I honestly have no clue.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UZb9Ld6hSHE
youtube.com/watch?v=oebzAIZEfxQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>He was showing me how he can shift without putting the clutch in...
>guys why it's broken

Is that the sole reason the whole car shut down though? That's pretty much my question

>Lease car
>pay to replace parts
Pick one

your friend sounds like a genuine dick sucker

even a literal retard can do better than your friend

youtube.com/watch?v=UZb9Ld6hSHE

he should just get an automatic Mitsubishi mirage and a vasectomy so he doesn't sire any other oxygen thieves like him

blew up his glass tranny?

>2017 Subaru STi and it completely broken today.
>Subaru Reliability

To be fair the dude seems like a fucking idiot. Given what that clutch probably has gone through, 5k miles is a blessing

Aaaaaannnndddd...This fucker right here folks is why you never, ever buy an performance shitbox used. Because 80% of the owners are fukbois.

i didn't come into this thread for feels, user

at least he looks like he's having a ton of fun and enjoying something with his dad.

the first time my dad tried to teach me manual it was nothing but tense and frustration.

either way, at least he's having a ton of fun

>At 5000 miles the clutch was completely burned out and in pieces apparently, so he replaced it.
>He was showing me how he can shift without putting the clutch in... Didn't want to say anything but it didn't seem good.

I am now legitimately wondering what your bonus chromosome friend might have done to that poor car

Call the cops and tell them there's a mentally disabled fuccboi revving his snow blower

tell him to learn how to drive

bmw fag here

if ur clutch is fucked at 5k miles ur a jackass and should probably stick to automatic

manufacturer has little to do with it

also stay away from your friend. shitty driving technique can be contagious.

Can someone post that guy shifting the automatic corvette please?

someone post the guy driving the manual corvette where hes just awful at driving.

Please no. I don't want to see Isis gore videos today user

Redline clutch dump launches every time he needs to set off from a stop?

I'm surprised his rear diff is still intact and AWD car with enough power and grip will happily slam the diff into the underside of the car if you don't shift smoothly. Can't imagine what happens if you launch all the time.

*an AWD car...

>tfw thicc fingers

>tfw thicc fingers

You mean "sawsage" fingers

your friend is literally a retarded person.

I can't find it, I think it was a red stingray.

>tfw dad didn't teach me, just said figure it out

Are you serious? Who the fuck buys a car that powerful without knowing literally anything about driving or cars? Most people with a 1.2 l shitbox with a stick know more...

Damn. That's how to be a good human right there. And you're absolutely right the OPs friend is absolutely a fucking waste of air

not same user but, fuck dude i know that feel.
grandmother gave me a manual truck she couldn't drive anymore when i had never driven manual before and my dad just told me i was on my own. now anytime he is in the car with me he just shit talks my use of the clutch.

what about that guy in the yellow Corvette while his friends are filming him attempting to do a burnout and he thinks he's doing one but he's really just slipping the clutch continuously for a bout a minute and a half until it lights on fire

Classic

youtube.com/watch?v=oebzAIZEfxQ

Your friend has one chromosome too many. I hope he gets royally fucked by repair bills.

See so many nice WRXs, STIs, and Forester XTs for sell near me. This undeniable fact prevents me from ever buying a unFucked Bugeye, Blobeye, or Turbo Forester with a Manual.

T. I have no clue what floating gears are and why it's neither beneficial or harmful to do but I'll project my retardation anyway.

You're the retard.
You are assuming he was doing it perfectly every time.
Which he obviously wasn't.
You can destroy your transmission by doing it wrong

Import a GC. The body is usually not in the best shape, but the engine and drivetrain are usually well-taken care of.

>floating a synchronized transmission for anything other than a failed clutch, clutch slave or master cylinder

t. truck driver

>At 5000 miles the clutch was completely burned out and in pieces apparentl

Well there's your problem. Dude can't drive.

poor subie

I live us shit California. Couldn't register one here unless I put Arizona plates. I had a GF already.

Fucking
Subaru
Owners

Well your friend is a shit driver

Have owned a 944 Turbo and e36 M3, both with over 180k miles, and both on their original clutches.

2017 STI has a 6-Speed, nice try though.

Had a 2010 Toyota Matrix. Got it with 95k on it, put 3k on it, killed the throw out bearing. Replaced bearing, killed it again 3k miles later.

Had a 2004 Cavalier. Put 50k+ miles on it, had over 160k miles on it when I got rid of it, learned to drive stick in that car, never had any issues with the clutch. Was the original clutch as far as I know.

Some cars just have shit clutch designs.

I have been crying all morning about a dog passing away and I just laughed uncontrollably

Honestly what losers meme about the Subaru having glass transmissions are largely generated from shit drivers like this

Damn. Thats awful user. My condolences

You both sound like retards, please head to Iceland to be immediately euthanatized.

Over here it is even worse since about 90% of those kind of cars are owned by enlisted military who just hoon the shit out of cars while also constantly drunk driving.

This is the 5th post I've seen similar to this. The premise is always the same: someone buys a 2017 wrx, and then they do some dumb shit and all the anons proceed to shit on OP and subarus. I can't help but feel OP is an anti subaru shill, or some vapebro fucked his girl.

>attempt to burn $300 tires
>have to spend $2000 to install a new clutch instead

Nobody here dislikes the car - it's the fucking idiots who drive them. Something about an AWD, turbo and parkbench wing attracts the biggest retards.

He was a foster dog. Found wandering the streets of Brooklyn age 10 and emaciated. Spent 6 months in the shelter and found a foster who was willing to take him home. He made it home and died peacefully in his sleep that night.
Look him up on susiesseniordogs ig. His name was baisley

>Subaru Handling

2004-2018 all have that hand-built gearbox. It's damn good.

Somewhat new to manuals. What was he doing wrong here? Other than being a typical 40 yr old car virgin that vettes market towards.
Did he have the clutch depressed, but still engaged, and then tried to floor it or what?

>shit driver
>way too fast for turn
>flat out underestimates the turn
>doesn't actually understeer simply doesn't turn evident by him cranking the wheel at the end and actually getting it to turn.
>wow it must be the car's fault this guy was a shitter

You meme loving fucks all blame subaru for your blatant driver error.

>run the shit and bounce off the redline every fucking day
>headgaskets finally blow
>WOW ITS SUBARUS FAULT I ABUSED MY CAR

>buy a cobb tuner of all things, beat the shit out of the car with a shit tune and a shit set up without supporting mods
>blame subaru that you blew a piston because you wanted to run 20psi on the engine that was already at 13psi

>clutch dump, granny shift, slam shift and everything you can to beat the fuck out of the transmission
>blame subaru for making a bad transmission.
>WOW WHY DOES IT BREAK WHEN I ABUSE IT?

He basically was pushing the clutch in but not enough to bring it "out of gear" so the clutch was rubbing the diaphragm spring at several thousand RPM's for a long time without cooling or anything. The smoke is his clutch burning from the friction and wear.

If he let the clutch out a little more, the tires should start spinning relieving stress on the clutch.

Any damage caused by an owner throughout a lease has t be repaired. Even a Subaru won't shit out it's clutch at 5k miles... That's clearly owner caused wear.

You're an idiot. The factory clutch simply didn't have enough clamping force to engage with the driver's halfwit clutch control. He's not just sitting there with the pedal partially engaged.

Really? this doesn't seem to be an issue with mustang owners like those at cars and coffee, they just let the clutch out and it goes.

>subieshit

>triggered subaru fangirl
wew lad

If the mustang owner tried to slip the clutch half assed with to much RPM it would struggle to clamp. The secret to doing a static skid with a manual is moderate throttle, low brake pressure and a committed clutch dump.

I think you missed the joke about mustangs and burnouts at cars and coffee meetups

Vehicles with independent suspensions have the differentials fixed to the frame/sub frame already. So there is no "slamming" if it already is attached.

I didn't, that was an easy reference to pick up. Simply explaining in further detail why the post above was a complete misunderstanding of clutch operation.

*not a subaru owner
>always see boy racer subaru drivers, including grills
>The one thing all subaru manual drivers have in common is overreving and bucking the car on each shift
I am not suprised at all, all shitbaru drivers are like this. Oh and they love to press on the gas when put a blinker on.
From what i'm reading, your "friend" would toast an auto within a year.

Bucking the car from 1st to 2nd is damn near impossible to avoid.
t. GF8 driver

A few simple mods fixed most of the driveline lash/bucking in my 15 WRX

>STI Group N transmission mount
>STI Group N pitch stop mount
>STI Group N motor mounts
>Whiteline transmission mount crossmember bushings
>Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts
>Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts
>RCE Yellow springs
>Cobb OTS stage 1 tune

For me its a set of rpm threshold, like under 2500 and above 3500, anything in between and my car bucks in any gear.

>white people
can't even drive lol

Floating gears fucks up your syncros, not your clutch. Syncros are much harder to replace tho.

>fixed

Its mounted with bushings that are more than happy to compress enough to transfer driveline shock into movement of the diff. The idea being that it's better to have the diff move a bit than to transfer that shock to the transmission. However if you shit like OP's friend there's probably no helping you.

>neither beneficial nor harmful

I'm just telling it like it is

>doesn't take the time to teach
>complains
This needs to end

how many rally or racetrack masters being black or asian?

clutch in subarus and evos are very delicate

No they're fucking fine and as durable as any other sedan clutch. Only boiracers slam shifting and abusing their shit will say its glass

>opens the hood and stares at it like he has any idea what he's looking at

every time

this, he obviously dumped it because it lurched forward at the start