Why aren’t roundabouts more common in the US? Is the ‘American cars can’t turn’ joke true? If so...

Why aren’t roundabouts more common in the US? Is the ‘American cars can’t turn’ joke true? If so, is it the reason why there’s a lack of roundabouts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpv5OrtUaE
youtube.com/watch?v=ixSea3P338k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We have plenty. We also have the space to not need them.

This is why

so basically can't turn

k

Americans don't know how the FUCK to use them, even with signs that say how. They somehow assume that other directions have stop signs and just barrel through and hit my golf

Weird, everyone around me here in the midwest gets them just fine.

>The rest of the world doesn't have trucks
K

Nobody knows how to use them because we don't have any and we don't have any because nobody knows how to use them. Just like the roundabout, its a never ending circle dilemma. In some states you dont want to see the drivers using roundabouts. In NJ people will literally stop in the roundabout and give way to incoming cars.

>‘American cars can’t turn
So why the 90 degree turns instead of the soft round about turns.

they have yield signs which are basically the same thing

Honestly they have issues that street lights don't have. A big one is they require alot more room which usually involves imminent domain since by the time traffic has gotten congested enough to need controls in place the property around it has been developed, and Americans are really big on property rights. Maintenance on them usually requires shutting down a whole section of the loop which screws up traffic way worse than construction on a four way stop, and they are a nightmare for commercial traffic. That being said in my city we use them to great affect to control traffic from feeder streets into and out of neighborhoods, and for that purpose they are infinitely better than street lights or stop signs. We just have to take people's front yards to make them which politicians are scared of cuz "muh voters"

>mfw never able to hoon roundabout with comrades

youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpv5OrtUaE

pls.

this is the only functional use of a roundabout

youtube.com/watch?v=ixSea3P338k

Americans are dumb, in case you weren't already aware. And American cars handle like absolute garbage. So imagine someone going clockwise in the roundabout in a car that cannot make a turn without turning upside down. Not to mention the increased amount of space required by roundabouts and their newfangled nature. If an intersection ain't broke, don't fix it with something that's just as broke.

Rotaries are everywhere where I live in the US. It's hilarious to see people from other parts of the country react to them. My last girlfriend was a great driver but she'd complain every time we went around one.

Roundabouts are one of these smart things that only really pretentious european countrys can do because they are really smart.
Well excuse me, sorry for being a dumb american.

The handling is fine for a round about, I've never seen a giant pile up at one in the US. The dumb thing has merit, most drivers in the US are beyond retarded and they hand out Driver's licenses like cracker jack toys.

>American cars handle like absolute garbage.

uhhhh

This, it would require driver education which costs money.

Americans can't understand 'give way'.

Plastic with leaf springs and a pushrod engine. Sounds oddly familiar.

Same back in Iowa I never had an issue with them. Here in Arizona though nobody understands them, especially the tourists from California

>Trucks don't exist outside the US

See, they have to simulate them rather than having the real thing.

The rest of the world builds trucks to maximize manouverability, not wheelbase. Of course you're gonna need multiple fucking lanes and the fucking shoulder to make a turn in one of these fucking things, what the hell did you expect?

Looks like you need to be in the lane you already want before you get to the roundabout

Meanwhile in Europe.

Seems they were becoming more common in North America a few years ago, not sure if that's continued.

They're awful for pedestrians, and use up a tonne of space. AFAIK the main benefit is that because nobody understands them people drive through super slowly and carefully which cuts down on accidents.

Personally I hate them, both when driving (on a motorbike I'm extremely paranoid about people turning into me not seeing me), and especially when walking.

Unless you know the road and drive it regularly. Look how close the ground signs are painted to the roundabout

If only there was some way to signpost to drivers ahead of time. I guess that will be a problem for the ages.

my city has them everywhere tho

Again, I fail to see how that is a problem. That's how large roundabouts work; you need to be in the right lane ahead of time.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it has been implemented.

uhhhh

>Why aren’t roundabouts more common in the US?
We have them. I find them dangerous because many people drive with the attitude that "I am the King of the road" so everyone in the roundabout must yield to them as they enter. So if you are going around, these people will simply just brute their way in.

>Is the ‘American cars can’t turn’ joke true?
I hate them because the markings for directions suck if it is a feeder for certain freeways. I've taken the wrong exit from one before. Now, when I get into a roundabout, I don't care and will even come to a crawl to read all the signs and make sure I am taking the proper exit even if I have to go around the roundabout 2 or 3 times slowly and annoy other drivers. I much prefer real intersections and not roundabouts.

Not only are they pretty new where I live, but they're not even mentioned in the test for your license, so plenty of people aren't entirely clear on how they work.

I go through one everyday on my way to work, and at least once a week I almost get in an accident in it. Somebody either enters the roundabout in front of me while I'm in it, and I have to stop, or someone assumes I was exiting so they try coming in and almost t bone me.

Holy shit, shut the fuck up about this. There's like at least 10 roundabouts within an hour of my house. Do you all live in fucking Nebraska or something?

>Uni installed multiple roundabouts around campus
>Have to commute through two to get to my parking.
>Love the massive improvement
>Almost always get hit by some idiot who uses the outside lane to go left when I am going straight on the inside.
>Spent three years hoping someone would hit me
>Only got tire screeches and angry honking.
It's not fair, someone I I ow got hit and he got a brand new car out of it.

Works fine here in the South too.
Are you trying to say that your state doesn't require driver's ed?

It has though. Big roundabouts are very well-signposted

>Are you trying to say that your state doesn't require driver's ed?

I can't name a North American state or province that does

>It's not fair, someone I I ow got hit and he got a brand new car out of it.
i'm guessing you're not in a cucked no-fault state