I miss those times when people appreciated diesels for their torque

nowadays it seems like plebs want them "to make a statement"

Rev up those carcinogens, Cletus.

We're still out here. We shake our heads at the idiots in their pavement princesses as well.

>wanting to live more than 50 years on this miserable rock

Here in Europe there's currently a anti-diesel crusade taking place.
Not even a decade ago, diesel cars were hyped up to be the most efficient (affordable) way to drive a car and now it is literally the devil.
It's mindblowing how talking heads with influence can do 180° turns all the time and people eat it up.

I have a question though.
Cats and other tech try to burn particles but I wonder about the filters. What if those filters cause the exhaust system to shit out way smaller particles that could be a ton more harmful than bigger particles?

I'd like those 50 years to be healthy, then die abruptly doing a skid.

I gotta wonder how Diesel became a sensible option for people who wanted better mileage/more fuel efficiency for their dollar, and arguably more green or whatever than regular gasoline, and now it's become the symbol for "lmao fuck the environment" and trucks farting giant clouds of smog out their asses.

Pretty sure rolling coal is an Amerifag thing, here in Poorerope its just a sign of a fuckered engine.

Stacks have to be the worst truckfag feature I've ever seen.

>here in Poorerope its just a sign of a fuckered engine.
This.
If there's smoke people come to your window at the next signal and tell you your car is either fucked or on fire

I have a diesel car, what statement am I making exactly?

i prefer muh em pee gees over performance
nothing wrong with that i guess

My brother put a fucking tractor flap on his diesel jetta, straight pipe smokes like crazy now... I think it's hilarious, but retarded

I'd never want anything but diesel for my truck. The current engine is a tad too weak with 101hp and 240nm (when new), but as long as I'm not towing heavy then it does alright

Is this in Finland?

Diesels have gobbs of torque but in the tractor sense. It's not fun for normal street use. A proper gasoline engine gives plenty of torque and horsepower for fun and pulling power.

Diesels can still be stupid quick.
The problem is that even if you take two comparable cars, one gasoline the other diesel, the gas car will still SEEM faster because the diesel one is probably sound dampened more to hide the diesel noise AND of course the lower rev band.

For me though it is a special kind of fun to have a quick diesel car because the ones that accelerate really damn quick do it so effortlessly, that's what I love the most. Brutal torque and the car does not seem taxed at all.

This basically. My car makes like 450 lb-ft of torque at like 1600rpm, overtaking people is so effortless

Don't exhaust stacks allow the exhaust to exit the engine faster, thus increasing power output? It's the same reason why tractors have vertical exhausts. Of course, that's the theory, in practice it's just more truck rice.

I kinda wish the Twingo meme car came with a diesel engine. It would be hilarious to see that stupid little car roll down the street and roll coal while it goes MEEP MEEP.

lol, every Friday night I see lots of meets with remapped diesels shitting smoke like there's no tomorrow.

>What if those filters cause the exhaust system to shit out way smaller particles that could be a ton more harmful than bigger particles?
I think it's called UFPs (ultra fine particles). But iirc, they are mostly generated by the combustion from the start, not so much the filters.