/mg/ miata general

What's the aftermarket like for the NC compared to the NA/NB?

OLD:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5HE6py5HL_c
youtube.com/watch?v=iXxdB5KHMso
ebay.com/itm/3-5-MUFFLER-TIP-STAINLESS-STEEL-EXHAUST-CATBACK-SYSTEM-FOR-90-97-MAZDA-MIATA-MX5-/181075056296?fits=Model:Miata&hash=item2a28ea16a8:g:gGYAAOSw2XFUZsGD&vxp=mtr
miata.net/garage/hla/cleaning.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most(the few) rx8 suspension pieces and body braces will fit.

>tfw miata is slammed so no weight transfer drifts
I'm trying to sell it t.b.h.

4 simple steps to improving the NC Miata.

1: sell NC
2: buy 5 NAs
3: ???
4: profit.

jk theres just as much aftermarket for the NC as the NA and NB.

ALL miatas as a whole have a large aftermarket

youtube.com/watch?v=5HE6py5HL_c

Trying to gauge whether or not this me otter is worth it!

So long story short this guy bought this miata at an auction with front passenger side damage. He says the sway bar was pushed into the strut. Is this indicative of a bent frame or something else major like that? Any help would be great. I want an NA but theyre all riced out or way overpriced around me. this one is super clean inside and out, aside from the collision damage. Id wager that the person who had it, babied it, and just cut their losses with this car. or it was totalled by an insurance agency. seller says it drives okay, but he hasnt taken it out and around a lot because of the damage. thoughts?

pic related, will post more

I can't tell how the frame is, but the swaybar bracket is fucked.

I wouldn't want a car that'd been in an accident like that though. Miatas are so fucking cheap anyway.

>frame

I'm pretty sure the PPF is fine.

So long as the front shock mounts haven't moved, the chassis is generally OK.

Still, I honestly wouldn't bother trying to straighten/reinforce all of that bent shit.

thinking of picking up an NA. this one doesnt look too gay does it?

>inb4 all miatas look gay

this one is different

>tfw owner of number 333 of 500 nc sport black special edition

if you worry about looking gay in a car then you already lost. The miata isn't for you.

I own an NB.

It looks like the frame is slightly bent under the sway bar bracket. I would not recommend getting this car, it will probably need frame work.

>Trying to gauge whether or not this me otter is worth it!

Well, you can get opinions from body shops. Take pictures of it and the swaybar damage using a selfie stick. Go to a body shop and ask how much the shop would charge for body work on fixing the bent frame. If they ask you to bring it in, you can just reply towing it around to different shops for appraisals is too much and you want to get some very rough guesses before deciding on where to go for more detailed estimates.

Hey fellow anons.
I'm thinking about buying an NA or NB but I have serious doubts about it.
I've driven an NA before and it was a blast as the roads arround here are quite cool, but I'm quite worried about the 2 seat thingy, right now I drive a Ford Focus and I mostly drive alone but I kinda like having the space for more than 2.
What do you guys do when you want to carry two or more? Second car? Because I'm planning on selling the Focus to get something else.

Thanks anons. like i said, not a lot of the buggers around here are reasonably priced or owned by responsible caring drivers. This one just seemed like a fun little project to take on since it's in good shape other than the obvious.

anyway heres a pic of the inside

Of course rust is something to worry about. It's not worth it to restore, but if it's cheap enough it would still be good enough to weld the diff and hoon with

The NC has a massive aftermarket as well, but NA/NB's have a lot of cheap, generic chinese parts that you can buy for much cheaper. I got a full, catless header-back exhaust and a cast-aluminum intake shipped to my door for just under $200 for my NA and I doubt that's available for NCs.

>hear weird noise
>goes away when driven again

This shit will give me gray hairs.

a nb is just a slightly better NA. keep the nb desu, its even the same platform so a lot of the parts on the nb fit the na

i ask my friend to drive me and my friends in his corrolla. as long as your friends have cars with 4 seats a 2 seater isnt a big deal

hot

popups tho

fishin for NAs

is it normal for the hood to not be flush with the popups? or is this a sign of an accident im not being told about

It means that somebody leaned on them while looking at the engine bay. Just pull them up slightly and they align perfectly well.

>check insurance rates of various cars out of curiosity since I either need get my taurus welded back up, or buy some sub $2k shitbox
>put in NA miata out of curiosity
>literally cheaper than civics, old f150's, nissan hardbody pickups
>A miata is now a legitimate choice for me to consider as a vehicle
Realistically I should probably just fix my car or buy an old f150, but it was a surprise at the rates.

>insurance determining the car of choice

What kind of commie shit is this?

ok thanks bb

Its called being a NEET that needs to start driving again.

.....europe

Welcome to the UK

>pic related: quotes for two NAs, an NB and an AW11

I'm getting a 2013 miata this week hopefully. I'm waiting to hear back from the salesman. Post sweet NC3 pics for me.

>post sweet NC3 pics for me

pic related, my NA with some NCs

All 4 of those cars would cost me about $800 for a year of full coverage.

tho desu I think it's because I'm 20 and live in a shit neighbourhood. uk insurance is fine if you're 24+.

What is she doing?

Did her car eat her skirt while she was "working" on it and now shes calling someone who knows what they are doing?

How embarassing

Protip: don't worry about noises until it actually gets bad or comes back repeatedly. Cars have a lot of moving parts that could potentially make noise even when in satisfactory condition

What the fuck

moar

It's normal. Like said, just carefully pull the headlight back up to match the hood.

>Not removing the evap tank, windshield wash system, and cruise control.

It's like you don't want to be proud every time you pop the hood.

Also, if you ever wondered how a V8 fits in there... look at all that fucking space.

That's actually really funny

>proud of a wheezy 130 hp 4 cyl
come back to me when it has forced induction

Is a '97 NA having 6 (six) owners something to look out for? Or do these cars generally have such a high turnover?

>Or do these cars generally have such a high turnover?

yes

its a 20 year old 2 seater ofcourse its gonna have alot

>tfw third owner of my '97

I wanna try a miata out is there any place i can just go to drive it to see how it feels?

Currently have my motor out to do a bunch of work, and im taking the opportunity to clean the shit out if the engine bay. Im glad to be getting my hands dirty again, its been so long since ive done anything to this car. Prepping it for a trubo after driving it for about 10 years with a bone stock motor.

yeah craigslist you fucking idiot.

>130 hp

I wish. It theoretically came with 128, but I've got 230k miles and LOTS of abuse. I'm sure it would run mid 16's. A lot of stock 1.8s don't even break 110 on dynos.

I just like not seeing a massive jumble of shit when I look in there.

I was gonna get an NA but then the car got backed into so I said fuck it and decided to get a newer car

>when ur such a flaming faggot that you call your girlfriend when your miata breaks down.

I've dailied my NB for 3 months, it's comfortable and easy to drive in traffic. I usually don't carry more than one other person, on multi-person road trips, it's better to take many people in another car while using the Miata to haul equipment. The NB's trunk is massive for the car's size, can be packed to bursting, and with the top down it's basically a tiny pickup truck. Get a luggage rack for the trunk too.

Go to a Mazda dealership and ask to see their used Miatas. I got to drive a 17,000 mile '91 Auto NA, a brand new ND RF, and a 124 Spider all in the same day. Didn't buy any of them. Just ask nicely and don't dress like a sperg.

Good work wasting their time

Pay for a carfax and see where it was living, if it was registered in a northern state, inspect well for rust. They do have a high turnover, they're very popular with older people that have a tendency to suddenly die, as well as memelords who thrash it for 6 months and then dump it on craigslist because they can't figure out how to break traction.

oh yeah i totally wasted 45 minutes' of the salesman's day driving cars boo fucking hoo, as if anybody needed a salesman to convince them to buy a Miata.

For comparison my 100% stock engined 1997 Miata (133 hp) with 90k miles did a 16.6 quarter mile at 85 mph and there wasn't anything left on the table

I can assure you, dealership salesman waste a lot of time

They'll always fuck you over from an online quote. They're just banking that lazy people can't be bothered to find a better deal.
Find a smaller insurance company and call them on the phone you'll get a way better deal, unless you're like 17

Can you provide the details on that? I'm looking for a new exhaust

why would you buy ching chong shit, if you can get genuine cobalt system for like $280?

that's not a male (female) user...

Hopefully next month I'll have enough to pick up an NA miata, any years I should look for? I noticed a lot of vicous diff swaps and cv axle replacements, is this the equivalent of miata rice tax? Should I try to pick up a bone stock miata to start with? I sold my offroad toy yesterday and I need to replace the hole in my heart with a platform maybe for hooning since we're getting into the rainy season. Any specific problems I should look for?I already know of the miata tick that occurs with bad lifters.

what's your favourite colour on NAs?

Black

I just looked and a catback basic Cobalt system is over $400 shipped. I got a catback, resonated test pipe, and intake shipped for under $200 (in 2010).

I've had them for over 7 years and my car sounds great:

youtube.com/watch?v=iXxdB5KHMso

It's still sold on eBay, under various brand names, though it's actually a "Tsudo N1." Here is the first one I found that's the same catback, $165 shipped:
ebay.com/itm/3-5-MUFFLER-TIP-STAINLESS-STEEL-EXHAUST-CATBACK-SYSTEM-FOR-90-97-MAZDA-MIATA-MX5-/181075056296?fits=Model:Miata&hash=item2a28ea16a8:g:gGYAAOSw2XFUZsGD&vxp=mtr

but it's harder to see the smile when it's black

Anybody know how to fix lifter tick? My miata mechanic says it's not a big deal but I hate cold starting especially when I pick up /chicks/

Yeah, but you'd better be ready to take your belts and camshafts out:

miata.net/garage/hla/cleaning.html

Thanks bro. I have zero tools after moving out to school, worth it to just tell my mech to do it?

If you've got nearly a grand lying around to fix an annoying tick, then sure.

Just try some different oils and additives and shit.
There's is some stuff called autorx that pretty much got rid of my lifter tick on my 7 owner salvage title 1994 with 170k on it. If it can fix lifter tick on that absolute piece of shit, it can probably fix yours.

Green.

>saw a perfect NA in the perfect colour (mariner blue)
>tfw it will be sold by the time I have the money to buy it

take a loan lol

How did you ever last this long?
Yesterday i was rolling up to a traffic light and while the light was green a brand new bentley was standing in place obviously to wait for me to line up to him, he punched it but i went with the "i am too cool for this shit" approach and just kept a steady speed.
Never ever i did i wanted more to have like 200hp under the hood to at least attempt to surprise that fuck.

why would you say that if its already sold dumb ass

>it will be sold
>will
its not sold yet moron.

i highly recommend at least going there and pray you find something you don't like about it
trust me, i made this mistake
i looked for my car way before i had the money, and guess what, one showed up that appeared to be in immaculate condition and overall what i wanted to buy but lol no money

in the end i bought one year later, it's in a great condition and all, but i'm still thinking about the other one

How fast are stock miatas? Im really tempted to trade in my civic shitbox and buy a roadster

Your civic's probably faster

But doesnt look interesting.

Seriously? A 2012 automatic civic?

>he doubts a 20yr old+ 5 speed convertible is slower than a 2012 auto civic

Are you fucking shitting me.

You're fucking with me right?

theyre slow. but they're more fun than your civic.

I bought a Miata today. :3

Has anyone ever replaced a quarter on an NA? How hard is it to do? I am going to pick up a quarter from pull a part this weekend

>fix up miata
>get bored of fixing it constantly
>see rx7 on craigslist, just have to build the engine and that might be fun
>might trade my miata for it
f-fuck

Why do you assume im talking about a old as shit miata
How does a 2012 miata compare to a 12 civic?

Riddle me something, all those people talking about LS swapping a miats, wouldnt that fuck up the whole 50/50 weight distribution?

I'm pretty sure that the rear quarter panel is a structural component to the 'frame' and would require welding and patchwork to replace...

should i do $300 pads/rotors all four corners on my NB with sport brakes first, or do the $200 timing belt service with all bits replaced while i'm in there

the LS is pretty lightweight and can be mounted rather far back, i believe it only adds an extra 100 pounds to the car and it's 51/49

wait nevermind it adds 200 lbs between the engine, transmission and diff, and makes it 52/48
however and ls1 with cams makes 400hp so you won't notice the added weight much

The Miata has a FWD economy car engine turned longways, so it's basically just barely faster than your average shitbox, but it's light and RWD so it accelerates quickly.
A stock, enthusiast trim Civic would put up a serious fight.

>then dump it on craigslist because they can't figure out how to break traction.
how
I'm on a stock 1.6 from 93' with 240k miles and I can slide around paved roads.