/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Acutely Obtuse Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Garry's Mod
>GearBlocks
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PsHKT0fJ3jQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m36s
reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/69qsj8/compact_celtic_knot_style_intersection/
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Still open for suggestions in how to find "z" here

this is very deutsch

4th for drones

If you actually have some sort of web/string exchange for subprocessors and the subprocessors have meaningful specs (power requirements, speed, size/weight, cost) I will be much more interested in your game.
I'm sure I could figure it out but I'm having a hell of a time interpreting your diagram.

Draw a better diagram. Make it clear what information you have and what information you want.

7th for laser turret waifu

You can copy-paste a single processor straight from the game, I see no reason why copying/pasting whole grids wouldn't be an option. I kinda thought about robots having a power supply of limited wattage and letting players put multiplier on subprocessor's clock, at a cost of higher voltage requirement. Right now I'm collecting ideas and want to get a working prototype, and then build from there.

Do it. The more energy/mass/momentum constraints you put on your system, the more of an engineering game it is.

>right angled terror devices
youtube.com/watch?v=PsHKT0fJ3jQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5m36s

Again: don't make another LogicBots. I.e. don't ask people to solve real problems with toy tools.

If you're going to provide an artificially-weak programming environment, the problem should be something that would be easy to solve with real tools.

If the problem presents a challenge in itself, adding extra sources of difficulty from unrelated domains detracts from that.

Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to a demo if/when one comes out

REM
CAST
WHERE

FINALLY DONE IT!
The bots need a compass to see where the north is.
To find X, the angle the laser turret needs to transverse, i only need to subtract the two angles i know of from 180 and then subtract the angle between the spotter and the enemy!

please, be the right answer

Why not just use detectors?

The idea is that only the spotter (red line on the right) can see and the laser bot (red line on the left) is blind and needs directions

That seems like a silly constraint.

is the gremo even out yet?

>didn't know until today that you can click and drag logistic requests
welp, i can't get back all of that time spent setting up 8 wagon x 12 chest loading stations

It also works within and between machines. You can copy from an assembler to a requester chest or filter inserter.

how does attachto work in arma 3?
I never learned how to use commands because I haven't played ops with anyone since A2.

pretty much the same but the 3d editor is god-tier

that pic of the drone is with ace mod, where you can put explosives on anything

we're busy govnah, give us like a week or some shit

>Make genocide based on engineering rhetoric
>Even if you lose, the enemy gets PTSD from even attempting to make mechanisms afterwards
>Easily regain ground and fight them again
It's a perfect plan

But how does laserbot figure out the angle to the spotter? What's sensors is it using to do that?

Now how do you deal with multiple enemies and sensor noise?

neat, didn't know that either. now if they could just allow factories to set production from a circuit network or send their requirements to the circuit network, i could create generic logistics bot blueprints to spam

Circuit interfaces are disappointingly limited. Hell, you can't even read basic electricity statistics.

>like the idea of Factorio
>never sure what to do
Maybe I'm not cut out for this. When I play things like DF I always have ideas of things to build and design but nothing ever comes to me with Factorio.

Well, have you launched a rocket? That should be your first goal.

Factorio has a pretty clearly defined goal, unlike DF and other colony management type games. You're goal is to launch the rocket.

>grind yourself retarded
>launch rocket
>udidit

or

>coat planet in all consuming machine you forgot the function or form of months ago

Either way works. People build spaghetti, people build giant main busses, people blot out the sun with logistics robots. Whatever gets the job done. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time.

DF has a clear goal too, adamantine tasty, mine it all yum yum

Also magma + water traps are not only fun but neccessary to contain all the demons that will politely ask you for their bullshit metal back

Adamantine is note even remotely the goal of DF. It's one of those things you can do if you really want to. I've put hundreds of hours in DF and never bothered to mine it.

Factorio's goal is pretty clear from the start. Launching the rocket even gives you a victory screen.

>played DF for hundreds of hours
>never tried colonizing hell
I'm sorry but you've been playing it wrong the whole time

are there any space engineers servers with fully disabled turrents/automated defenses?
these killed the game for me

>Launching the rocket even gives you a victory screen

That doesn't mean you have to stop playing. Launching the rocket now gives you Space Science which you can use in several lines of infinite research.

Also, satellites aren't the only thing you can put in rockets.

>are there any space engineers servers with fully disabled turrents/automated defenses?
There are modded turrets with AI disabled (no AI). But vanilla ships will have vanilla turrets, unless serbian man has replaced them with modded ships. Pro tip: the only serbian man competent enough for anything remotely complicated is Ced (actually german) and Ced is ded.

ok

>satellites aren't the only thing you can put in rockets
But, is there a point in putting in anything else?

________________yes________________

>play factorio 500+ hours but never really use logistic bots except to supply me
>love trains though
>finally get arbitrary tiling logistic bot factories down
>design a few tiling patterns for various products
>get the idea of a logistic bot factory automatically supplying other factories with bots by train if their available count ever drops below a certain percentage threshold
>realize this lets me expand existing logistic factories optimally without any input on my part
>decide i should make a central factory manufacturing common resources that automatically resupplies logistic factories with the materials they need to replicate and tile if they're low on any needed resource (chests, beacons, assemblers, etc)
>realize this means all i'll need to do is occasionally build resource outposts, rails, and place blueprints from the map view
>the former two could be semi-automated with bots with the right rail patterns
>with a high enough bot speed i never need to leave my main base

oh god what the fuck why did this take me this long to realize

Some people like to burn their excess wood. I like to launch all of mine to space.

r8

fug
>tfw you realize after that you could easily fit one more in, but you don't want to now because placing cross conveyor conveyors lags really really bad

Christ the people in this game are fucking retarded.

Factorio Question:

Is there a way to amp up the biters attacks? I want like a constant stream of attacks from huge waves of biters, like a tower defense.

I fucked with the in-game biter settings but it doesn't change much besides speed up evo/make the attack waves bigger

Christ MuzzledElk is retarded

There's a tower defense-like scenario. Otherwise I think you will want to look into mods. The default AI just isn't very sophisticated.

Did you actually pay dosh for crossout?

Yeah, I picked up the second tier pack almost a year ago. The vehicle, gun and paint job were shit. Only weapons that matter are machine guns and missiles.

I only paid like 30-sum dollars for it, which is about equivalent of a nice meal and a drink. Not too bad.

Can I get a quick rundown on grilledposting?

its a meme you dip

No one knows what it means, and that makes it the comfiest meme. For some of us, it's the only constant in our lives we have.

>I picked up the second tier pack almost a year ago.

They just recently changed the packs so that they come with unique parts. They all come with a special cab that have slightly different stats than the basic in game ones you can make. The Born to Fly pack also comes with a unique engine thats slightly better than the normal engine of the faction it belongs to.

Some people are already screaming pay to win, but the stat differences are so small its negligible. The unique parts can also be sold on the player market, so if you really, really want one of them you can sell some shit to make some gold and then buy somebody elses unique part they are selling.

Im still on the fence about buying a pack. I dont really want any of the parts in them, and the "gold" they come with can easily be made by selling crafted parts to other players.

I need to play this game.

What game is this?

>tfw no functional Johnny 7 OMA to kill ayys with

They are currently selling the beta, free to play open beta soon (tm)

If you got in the closed beta 4free then why spend dosh on an in game shop when the game isn't even out yet

>>What game is this?
don't bother it's shit, it's one of idle games

How dead is Robocuck?

dedder than you can imagine sadly
there is nothing we can do now

>But how does laserbot figure out the angle to the spotter? What's sensors is it using to do that?
Trigonometry, from the distance between the spotter and the enemy, the spotter and the laserbot and the angle described by the enemy-spotter-laserbot segments (the 70°) i obtain the distance between the enemy and the laserbot, then using the properties of sine angles (in this case: 14.91/sin(70)=15/sin(X)) i obtain the angle described by the enemy-laserbot-spotter segments (70.97°)
Then, knowing that:
1) the angle between the Spotter's North (blue vertical line) and the enemy (that i already know) is equal to the angle between the enemy's South and the spotter (in this case 30°, see the yellow arrows)
AND
2) That the sum of the internal angles of a triangle is 180°
AND
3) Same as 1 but between the enemy and laserbot (the "X")

I can obtain X
In this case i have X=180-70.97-70-30=9.03°

Centrifuggal

The one thing we're missing is roboports on trains. Then we can blueprint the rails and power lines. Start the train moving and the bots place the rails in front of the train as it moves.

I love Factorio, probably have 200+ hours into it, but I think if it had a purpose to use resources instead of just launching rockets/researching the game would be A LOT better.
Even the devs admitted this several times but they didn't really commited to it in a meaningful way. Maybe if they incorporated some strategy elements like in RTSs games or maybe something like Offworld Trading Company where there are market elements?
Maybe make the biters more meaningful, right now they are lackluster as fuck, they could be expanded into a real enemy with their own base and logistics(like a Zerg race on the planet) instead of being just annoying critters.
I don't know, right now the game is a lot of fun but at the end is incredibily purposeless, you make your giga factory launching several rockets per minute just to think "ok, I built all of this for what?" afterwards.

stationeers

>rocketwerkz
Is that Dean "Red Rocket" Hall? Aka fuck dayz I'm outta here Hall? Aka space station 13 with blackjack and hookers Hall? THAT guy?

Update: yeah, that's him alright. Needless to say exercise extreme caution giving money to this sheepfucking cunt.

mods
>playing with programmable vehicles and rampant
>its like im really playing C&C
now I have a reason to make 50 cars and a ton of basic as fuck ammo

playing factorio beta since yesterday with better map generation on a railway preset.

when are fuel wagons better than kilometers of oil pipelines?

Always?
Pipes are pretty shitty, the fact that you need pumps to keep throughput up is a massive problem, if you've got long distance you should be using rail lines.

Pipes have issues over extremely long distances. I usually just pipe in the first one or two oil patches I set up, but after that I have rails everywhere anyway and connecting to the existing rail network is far, far less work than laying pipes everywhere.

does this concern both pipes, the single pipes and pipelines built only through ground-pipes? Because I think ground-pipes are more expensive, but count as 1 pipe in terms of distance?

>Because I think ground-pipes are more expensive, but count as 1 pipe in terms of distance?
They still suffer from the issue but it's much slower to take effect. Massive pipelines are still going to have problems.

define massive, I have a pipeline with 20 ground-pipe segments. Is this too much? When is it? When the pressure is at half?

pls make this real

>pipe throughput is a function of distance
Have you ever bothered to consider the numbers you're dealing with, or did you just read a forum post and thought "this is bad"?
Off the top of my head, old pipes (right up to 0.15) had a throughput of 30 u/s over a distance of 200 pipes.

Putting this into perspective, 200 underground pipes can cover a distance of about 2200 tiles, more than 700 refineries laid in a continuous row (with one tile between each).
Similarly, refining 30 oil per second would require a total of 15 refineries running nonstop.
You could have 150 (depleted) pump jacks supplying 15 refineries, with a total of 2200 tiles between them - and there'd not be the slightest hint of a throughput issue.

In other words, you'll need an obscenely large setup to run into throughput issues with pipes - unless you're transporting water, which is used in similarly obscene quantities.
Chances are that none of you have ever encountered said throughput issues, and would probably not even be able to correctly diagnose a problem as such.

So Factorio

I'm on 0.15, and I'm now producing yellow science. My big issue is that my red circuit production is far too low, which leads to blue circuits being too low. Part of my problem is that I don't have enough copper or iron to scale up.

I'm at the point where my initial ore deposits are empty. I have one train that currently goes to a relatively close patch of both copper and iron and brings it back to the main bus, but it's not nearly enough. At this point in the game, what should I be doing? I'm in a race against myself it feels like. I'm also really low on power, as I'm not at nuclear yet due to only a few Uranium deposits, plus Kovarex enrichment research going ultra slow due to low science production.

Should I be committing all my resources to trying to find far off, really rich patches of ore and setting up a much more extensive rail system? I feel like that's my only option, because nothing near me seems big enough to sustain me at all anymore

>>Should I be committing all my resources to trying to find far off, really rich patches of ore and setting up a much more extensive rail system?
yes
tren
choo choo

It's always going to be easier connecting to rail networks than playing miles and miles of pipes. He asked which is better, pipes or rails. Rails are always going to be better because there is no real upper limit to their throughput like with pipes and they are easier to set up.

>Similarly, refining 30 oil per second would require a total of 15 refineries running nonstop
I have 45 refineries running non stop. Had I started with pipes I would have needed to take it all down and switch to rails anyway.

>Chances are that none of you have ever encountered said throughput issues, and would probably not even be able to correctly diagnose a problem as such.
hurr durr I so smart u so dum

Fuck off.

Well, I guess I already knew the answer, I just hate to get started since my biter evolutions already at 75%. Oh well, time to get completely rekt.

Head off in one direction and collect all the ores as you go.

Makes sense. It'll be a damn pain in terms of power and defense, but I knew what I was getting into. Guess choosing a single direction means I can expand easily by just picking a new direction later if needed.

Do you guys have any good sources for learning how to make a good, multi-train rail set-up? Most I've ever done is having two trains running the same bit of rail, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need something more robust and scalable. If I'm doing it I want to do it right.

The best thing you can do if you want a scalable rail setup is to ensure that you only use one-way trains. That keeps trains from trying to use the same stretch of rail at the same time and becoming gridlocked. Find or make yourself a blueprint of a good intersection and slap it down anywhere you want to branch off, and run parallel tracks anywhere you want to go.

For an intersection I use the compact celtic knot intersection (pardon the reddit link) reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/69qsj8/compact_celtic_knot_style_intersection/

You don't need kovarex enrichment, 1 uranium 235 lasts you like half an hour in one reactor, so just get 2 reactors for the bonus and start them up.

You gotta expand user

>using actual concrete walls
>not using power poles and laser turrets

Meh, shit's just stone and furnaces

Oh, damn, didn't know that. I have about I think 18-19 235 at the moment, maybe I'll just start up the reactors first then. That would be a load off of my mind to have steady power for a while.

Shit son, that's cool. I think I'll try to use that.

Yeah, definitely. I pretty much have the area my main base will be decided, I've got it all walled off, just gotta add a solid rail station to it I think, might need to make room for that. Wish I was home so I could take a pic

>It's always going to be easier connecting to rail networks than playing miles and miles of pipes
What makes a mile of rail easier to plop down than a mile of pipe?

>Rails are always going to be better because there is no real upper limit to their throughput
Blatantly false. A rail can only support a finite number of trains, which can only carry a finite number of items and travel at a limited maximum speed.
I'll not deny that the throughput of a rail network is unparalleled by any other transportation method, but there's an upper limit to it none the less.

>I have 45 refineries running non stop. Had I started with pipes I would have needed to take it all down and switch to rails anyway.
Impressive, but my bets are still that you'd be able to smoothly operate said refineries without transporting any liquid by train.
Keep in mind that the example implies that all oil is transported from a singular source, which makes pipes look worse than they are.
An ingame setup would have clusters of oil wells at varying locations, effectively shortening the distance of pipe which needs to support the end-point throughput.

On a side note, it turns out the numbers are vastly more in favour of pipes than I remembered them to be.
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066
Notably, at 200 pipes the throughput is 90 u/s instead of 30 u/s.

Don't forget to use combinators to limit the fuel supply of the reactors, they will consume it even if you don't need the power