I bought a 2000 VW Jetta for $2k and was just told it has a cracked timing belt, $1k to repair

I bought a 2000 VW Jetta for $2k and was just told it has a cracked timing belt, $1k to repair.

I feel jewed as fuck. Have you ever lucked out on buying used before?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ECCPP-Timing-1998-2004-Volkswagen-Turbocharged/dp/B01H3EM0LW
youtu.be/qujAcYr_pqo
ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/articles/where-can-i-find-a-vehicle-inspection-centre-in-my-area/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>buying a VW product

it doesn't take $1000 to do a timing belt if you DIY

I know fuck all about cars. Trying to find a cheap mechanic to do it though. The part just costs 350 but the labour is like 700 at Canadian Tire

Yes i am leaf pls no bully

>700 for replacement
50 euros at most here senpai

Where the hell are you looking at those prices? A timing belt costs $50 at most

I'm in canada my man. Where should i be looking?? I just got an estimate from a shop

lucked out pretty well on a '95 camry csx with only 140,000 km, everything works fine only cost me $1500 AUD with 10 months rego

Check online, at rock auto or amazon. Ebay has some decent kits, just make sure to get name brands and be careful with no name shit.

If it's a timing belt set with new tensioners and water pump, I can see how the price would start getting up there

There's a bunch for under $100, here's an example from amazon. Not sure about the quality though.
>amazon.com/ECCPP-Timing-1998-2004-Volkswagen-Turbocharged/dp/B01H3EM0LW

Perfect example already of how lucked out has different meanings in the USA and Australia

Im not sure about tensioners but he did mention the water pump.

He also mentioned needing a new serpentine belt but said i could afford to not have it done right now, however the timing belt needed attention asap

I'd also advice you to maybe have another mechanic check it out.

Nope, I did my homework and made sure that I knew whether the timing belt had been changed or not before I bought it.

I know i fucked up mang. Still it is a nice car and compared to the market of cars in this condition in my area, i got it dirt cheap. I dont regret buying it but that said help a car noob out of a mess pls

Your options are slim, either you get the timing belt changed, preferably immediately if the belt is actually cracked; or you ignore it, the belt snaps and (if it's an interference engine) the valves and the pistons punch each other in the face.

Doing it yourself would work out cheaper but it may end up being a pain in the ass due to confined spaces, getting the timing right etc. Paying a shop to do it might be easier if you're not mechanically minded or don't particularly want the hassle of it.

Godspeed.

Thanks user

I wouldn't recommend driving it if the belt's cracked desu, if it lets go you're probably boned.

yeah a polaris dragon 700. traded a polaris 550 fan for it with 1000 extra. best machine ive ever owned. guy that sold it was a marine and it only had 2.2k miles on it

I was told it's not cracked so much as it's heavily worn and needs attention asap. Mech dude said i can drive it around, but not far away.

>Mark 4
>timing belt
lel

Mark 6's have chains. Nerd.

>tfw literally everything else about the Mark 6 is jew mode TTY bolts and BLACK PLASTIC
>tfw exploding plastic chain tensioner
>tfw 20,000 mile crank sensor
Fine nevermind.

But seriously, OP, I know it sucks but that's a really major item. If it breaks you will shrek your engine. VW engines will last forever if you take care of them. It sounds like you're on a budget too. If you want to maybe save a dime on parts, maybe try to find a belt and water pump kit on ECS Tuning. Lots of their parts are OEM quality or better, and you don't pay a 40% markup for them having the VW logo stamped on them. Just do your research, make sure you're buying the right parts, and find a mechanic that will use outside parts.

While you're in there, change some fluids. I don't think VW was using their "lifetime fluid" model in their transmissions yet, and I'll bet it's due for new oil and a new filter. You'll need a new charge of coolant anyway if you're doing the water pump at the same time like you should be as well.

Jettas are pretty amazing cars for what they are if you take care of them. They're not exactly racecars, but they can sure take a thrashing, call you daddy, and ask for more. Until Mark 6.

Ty user. I just crawled into bed still racked with anxiety and this gave me peace. I am on a tight budget (student) and dont have much time to mess around with cars cos classes are in 2 weeks.

Any advice on brands I should look out for? Also should mention the mechanic found other issues too like the serpentine belt and the exhaust hose but did not stress importance on fixing them like the timing belt.

Continental has been a good name in belts for many years. You'll want a kit with a new tensioner in it too. Should be like 60 bucks.

For the pump, just don't buy Uro. They're the cheapest for a reason. Graf is pretty well known, I think. I'm a BMW guy though. Uro is complete trash though for real, don't bother. Pump should be about $50.

ECS will make sure you get the right ones for your car. I remember that the Mark 4 had a couple different engines, so make sure you know the right one (2.0L, 1.8T, etc.).

If your serpentine belt is on the way out, that's pretty important too. You have to remove that belt to change the timing belt anyway, so it makes no sense not to replace it while you've got that stuff apart. A serp belt will usually cost less than the timing belt for the part itself. Get a new tensioner for this as well.

As far as the exhaust hose (I'm assuming he was talking about the EGR), that might be something you can do yourself assuming you're somewhat mechanically inclined. The worst this will do is throw a check engine light if it gets bad enough, and the car might not run great, but it's not super critical.

Mechanic was totally right to emphasize the timing belt. If that thing fails, it totals the car at this point. If you do nothing else, do this. It's good practice to refresh belts every 60,000 miles or so, but some of them have longer service lives.

Before you spring for parts, make sure your mechanic will use outside parts. It's good practice to have the same place that did your inspection do the work, as long as they're not two-timing bastards.

Just saying too, Mark 4's are pretty modifiable if you're into that. School is important though.

Here op, just do this yourself if you have the tools. Even if you don't, it's cheaper to buy them and use them in the future.

youtu.be/qujAcYr_pqo

>350 for timing belt
Just so you know, it's not necessary to use a mercedes AMG timing belt in your volkswagen

>ctrl-f "interference
>1 of 1
Congratulations, user you're the only one in this thread who knows shit about fuck

Curious how the "exhaust smell in the ac" led to a broken timing belt - or if the timing belt is even actually broken or just past its service schedule date and OP's mechanic really is just jewing him. Was the car driven to the mechanic or towed?

Oh i have a broken pvc hose too. He showed me the cracks and all, and ive known the dude for years.

Well, if the guy is a real friend then he probably sees that the timing belt is about to go. Did he show it to you? $1000 does seem pretty expensive just to change the timing belt but it's not going to be cheap on those engines unless you do it yourself and there's quite a bit of disassembly and reassembly

You can do it. I did the timing belt in my '99 Golf back in April, and I had never done anything close to that big of a job before. It's really not all that difficult. Watch some tutorials and get familiar with what needs to be done. Just take your time, double and triple check everything. Getting the new belt onto the pulleys is going to be a bit of a bitch, it's a very tight squeeze, but it's doable, just be patient, and if you're getting pissed off just walk away and take a breather.

You can get a timing belt kit that comes with the belt, a new water pump, and a new tensioner for less than $100 from Rockauto. The kit comes with instructions on how to change the belt as well.

>used car

It doesn't cost a 1000 in general for a timing belt maybe 200 dollars max Lol especially for a VW

I love my '91 toyota celica. Pre owned by the mechanic of a nearby garage, great condition and no rust. Drives like a dream
Also saving 30 yurobucks a month in insurance and road tax compared to my old car (citroen xsara)

Pic related though not mine

>Going to Canadian Tire for car advice
OP, you're either underage or not from Canada
Whichever one it is you have to go back

Canadian tire are notorious jews. It's likely your timing belt isn't even cracked and they just want to extract money from you.

Go to a mechanic that's recommended by the CAA
So if you're from Alberta for example you would go to the AMA website and look at their recommended mechanics
ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/articles/where-can-i-find-a-vehicle-inspection-centre-in-my-area/

>$200 to replace a timing belt
Assuming OP has a 2.0L Jetta it's 4 hours to do the timing belt and water pump. Most shops these days hover right around $100/hr. So that's $400 just in labor. Then you factor in parts cost which is probably something like 150-200% of wholesale pricing so that's another $150-200 for a timing belt kit and water pump if he just has the shop order the parts. When we do timing belts on 2.0L Jettas the bill hovers right around $6-700 after taxes.
I agree that $1k is a ridiculous estimate for a timing belt job but I also don't know what car parts shop labor go for in Canada.

>I feel jewed as fuck.

The only jew here is you for penny pinching.

>Buying an old Jetta
You fucking dipshit. You only lease VW because you end up trading it in before anything starts going bad.
Shitty german engineering and fuck awful electronics.

I've got a B7 A4 with the 2.0T and also need my belt done soon. Got a quote for around $900-1000 CAD for changing the belt and water pump since both come off during the change so the price is pretty accurate assuming they're using OEM or OEM+ parts. Don't take it to CAD tire, I wouldn't even trust them to fill my windshield washer fluid.

Its still a lot of money to pay for something that you can diy on your own if you have a day and take your time. Watch some youtube videos and maybe pick up a Haynes manual. I got one for mine and it has a pretty much step by step tutorial on how to do it but I'm just too worried about fucking something up.

Depending on where you are in Canada try to call up some different shops for quotes and look for reccomendations.

OP here. Yeah i found a shop to do it for $750, parts labour and tax. This includes replacing the serpentine belt and the water pump.

This is my first time going for big repairs so I clearly know nothing about parts purhasing or where to find cheap labour. I appreciate the helpful advice anons

Yeah just make sure the shop is reputable. That seems like a pretty good price for everything.

ECSbro from last night.

$750 out the door is a good fuckin deal. Glad it worked out for you.

Please take care of her. Many Jettas are neglected, and only want to be loved.

How much work exactly goes into changing the belt on a 2000 Jetta exactly? On my A4 the entire front end needs to come loose and coolant drained. I thought it would be similar for a Jetta and now I'm thinking I might be able to find a better price

Very doable. This guy lays it all out for you, connect the dots, save yourself $800-900. Like the other user says, buy the tools if you don't have them. At least you're not throwing money away. A lot of auto parts store lend out tools when you buy the belt from them too.

my girlfriend has a 1994 VW golf with an Audi 1.8T engine thats the same as the Jetta 1.8T basically and the timing belt looks out in the open enough its not that bad. not cringe tier like some fucking Mitsubishi. only thing VW overly fucked up on is using goddam torx screws up the cunt everywhere

do it yourself if you're poor.

Thanks my man

Lucked out on my boxster. 5400 and runs like a top, 4 years of complete service and a new clutch when I bought it to boot.

2003 Vauxhall Corsa
7k miles into owning it and my only problems have been:

One broken rear spring.
Fuel leak. Fixed by replacing rusted jubilee clip.
Gear linkage worn out. Was plastic/ABS gear linkage from early production that they stopped putting in the cars. Replaced with metal linkage.

I know somebody who got a VW Polo and it cuts out and the rev counter starts flying about but apparently nobody can fix it... the VAG trash electrics curse?

Prob some electric anomaly but maybe a fairly uncommon yet repeatable issue. I'm not a polo guy so I don't really know. I'm assuming you're european but in Canada / US the shit tier VW's are the Mexican ones, I assume all the ones in EU are made there. My buddy has a 2014 MK7 with only 42000 km on it and the passenger window switch already shit itself meanwhile some people I know with MK4/MK6 gti's are going strong at 120k + with no problems and basic maintenance, coincidentally they're also made in Germany. Idk how it is there but German assembled VW's seem to hold up pretty well.

>VW Polo
Have them try a new wiring harness.

Uro's cam chain tensioner literally failed within 5 minutes of install for me.

>€350
>1 timing belt