What are some good resources for getting an overview of islam?

what are some good resources for getting an overview of islam?

i really like yale's open courses on the old and new testament

oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies

it's a good introduction to the main themes and motifs, covers historical criticism but doesn't focus on it exclusively. i would like something similar for islam

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rGzcfRBbn4w
usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/058-sbt.php#005.058.236
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm not sure. I have some infographs that I have saved over the years though

Remember: there are more Muslims in Indonesia than all of the Middle East, Central Asia and North Africa combined

Once the armies of Islam slowed down, trade and the "jirziya tax" were the main ways that Islam became part of or the majority in an area

If you want to know more about Islam, it might behoove you to learn Arabic. Just like the Catholic Church did with sermons and liturgy only being in Latin, Islamic teachings and sermons are performed only in Arabic for much of the Islamic population.

This does well for the control factor of a religion. It especially works well for cultures that are new to Islam. They learn the same language you, the converters, speak. This unifies you. It also boosts the idea of unity among the converts. Even if they are the minority in a tribe or state, they have a kind of secret language to speak to one another.

I just watched this video comparing Trump to Mohammed and it directly quotes the Koran and the hadith.

youtube.com/watch?v=rGzcfRBbn4w

In it it shows how much of a sick fuck Muhammed was, how he raped a 9 year old girl, made her clean semen off his clothes, and was planning on raping another girl but thankfully died before then.

So, why does everybody ignore the fact muslims literally worship a sex addicted, child molesting monster? I honestly have zero respect for muslims now, they're pure retarded goatfuckery is meaningless to me and should be wiped out.

Islam is a big reason that Arabic numerals spread across the Middle East and North Africa. It became so prevalent, that even Europe adopted the system. Count the angles of each symbol That should yield the actual number you want.

Am currently listening to the audiobook Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

I'm only a few chapters in but it's really informative.

Can't ignore the fact that Muhammad was a pedo. Nor can we ignore that he preached a religion of peace using a sword. He actually led armies, arranged the battles, and watched thousands die for his religion of peace.

Jesus did no such thing. The use of his religion for violence and death came centuries later by men who twisted the ideals of Christianity. That does not mean Islam is meaningless. It has meaning to billions of people. It might be best to at least better understand the religion and psychology of it.

However... Islamic spread is also the reason that the Arabs and Islam itself received a lot of foreign influence. For example, Islam allowed the diffusion of Indian numerals into Arabia and Persia. The Arabic numeral system was abandoned in those areas while North Africa and, oddly enough, Europe kept the Arabic numerals.

>Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
>Arabic

>1st Century AD
>Muslims

>what are some good resources for getting an overview of islam?

Coming to Terms With The Islamic World by Randall Fergley

Here is an animated version of the Rashidun Caliphate growing

I'm not saying that EXACT image is the trade routes used to spread Islam. Mearly showing that Arabic trade routes were well established by the 1st century. They were WELL established and old by the time Muhammad's message was being spread.

You come on /pol/ 2.0 and ask them about "brown people"

I'm an actual scholar on middle eastern faiths and I'm honestly ashamed of you.
Her real name is Magan and she grew up in a Christian Nunnery in Kenya.

She never set foot in somalia and she still goes to her local mosque daily.
Why are you talking about shit you don't know anything about?

>Born Ayaan Hirsi Magam, she migrated to the Netherlands in 1992, changed her name to Hirsi Ali, and lied to Dutch authorities about her past. Contrary to the story she told the government, she arrived in the Netherlands not from war-torn Somalia, but from Kenya, where she lived in a secure environment and under the protection of the United Nations, which funded her education at a well-regarded Muslim girls’ school. Though she told immigration authorities and the Dutch public she had fled from civil war in Somalia, she left that country before its war broke out. Indeed, she did not live through a war there or anywhere else. Thanks to her fabrications, Hirsi Ali received political asylum in just five weeks.

Hirsi Ali told astonished audiences on Dutch talk shows that her supposedly devout family had forced her to marry a draconian Muslim man, that she had not been present at her own wedding, and that her family had threatened to kill her for offending their religious honor. However, Zembla told a drastically different story. Hirsi Ali’s brother, aunt and former husband each testified that she had indeed been present at her wedding. It turned out that Hirsi Ali’s mother had sent her brother to a Christian school, not exactly an indication of Islamic fanaticism.

She's my cousin mate. My clan threw her out for being a serial scammer.

Islam's symbol of the crescent moon and star was adopted from conquered Greeks. It is an ancient symbol that goes back centuries before Islam itself. Some historians think that the symbol became prevalent in Islam thanks to large amounts of Sassanid coins - bearing the symbol - being taken or traded into Arabia and North Africa.

Most historians think that the symbol only became popular because of use within the Ottoman Army during the 17th and 18th century. Their dominance in the Islamic world gave the Ottoman Caliph a lot of sway in the Muslim world.

>So, why does everybody ignore the fact muslims literally worship a sex addicted, child molesting monster? I honestly have zero respect for muslims now, they're pure retarded goatfuckery is meaningless to me and should be wiped out.
So why does everyone ignore the fact that Christians and Jews literally worship a petty genocidal deity who damns people to eternal punishment for their finite sins?

What are you talking about? here

Jesus was a chill guy he didnt murder anyone or rape children

what have I said thats incorrect mr child molester scholar.

It's the same God. Moses is a big figure in Islamic teachings. Jesus (Isa), Abraham (Ibrahim), Noah (Nuh), Adam (Adem) and Muhammad are the other five prominent figures that make a total of six great men in Islam.

All of that has been falsified. If you knew your shit you'd know that Aisha was 16 or 15 at the time of marriage.

>he lead an army.

So did Joshua and Moses. It's an archetype of prophets that they lead armies, John the Baptist was raising an army at the time Salome had him killed.

I'm really not going to argue with you, you seem to be the type of person who circlejerk about something he clearly doesn't know anything about.

>All of that has been falsified. If you knew your shit you'd know that Aisha was 16 or 15 at the time of marriage.
yeah but, that's fucking wrong and a MODERN narrative being pushed by leftists trying to sanitize islam

>The majority of traditional hadith sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six or seven, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine, or ten according to Ibn Hisham,[11] when the marriage was consummated with Muhammad, then 53, in Medina.[12][13][14]

so you can fuck off with your shit pal.

>hur dur I'll make up some blatant bullshit so I don't have to argue theology which id clearly lose.

It's a compliment to islam that those who hate the faith create such blatant lies instead of debating it's perfect theology.

>yeah but, that's fucking wrong and a MODERN narrative being pushed by leftists trying to sanitize islam

As opposed to some shit you got off islamwiki?

Chronologically speaking, it makes absolutely no fucking sense for her to be that age at that point in time, and I'd rather take actual historical sources over religious fanwank.

>ill make up blatant bullshit
>ignore that the majority of traditional hadith sources state that Aisha was married to Muhammad at the age of six or seven, but she stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine
Yeah ok

>As opposed to some shit you got off islamwiki?

regular wiki.

You're obviously not a real scholar you clearly just want to sanitize islam rather than accept reality.

usc.edu/org/cmje/religious-texts/hadith/bukhari/058-sbt.php#005.058.236

What are you talking about? The actual text says the actual age. Just because later scholars found a small contradiction in what year they claim her birth to be, does not mean the actual number that the Hadith claims is wrong. I'm sure you're a better expert on this subject than me. But how can you possibly reject the text itself?

And sure: it is an archetype that prophets lead an army. That's why I don't adhere to "peaceful" religions that have prophets leading armies: Judaism and Islam. Jesus did not follow that archetype. He only cared for the eternal soul of mankind and the conditions of the poor in society.

this got kind of derailed, i was trying to ask for resources about learning about the history and modern forms of criticism of the quran/islamic texts.

Only sunni hadiths push that. Not to mention there is a clear explanation why they would want to show her so young, to prove she is a virgin. Taking the hadiths as prove isn't always wise, and is actually a big problem in Islam because so many are complete bullshit.

>Once the armies of Islam slowed down, trade and the "jirziya tax" were the main ways that Islam became part of or the majority in an area

Neither armies nor taxation determined how or when an area became majority Muslim. While trade connections did influence conversion in peripheries like Indonesia, Malabar, and Zanzibar, it was the conversion of tribes by Shi'a and Sufi holy men and the influence of the Arabized and Sunni upper and middle class bureaucrats that formed in the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates that caused North Africa through to Iran to become majority Muslim over a long period of time.

I found this book a good introduction to the subject of Islamic history.

I'm talking about God you nitwit. Or have you forgotten the time when he killed all those innocent egyptian children?