Why does Veeky Forums always go on about the fall of constantinople?

Why does Veeky Forums always go on about the fall of constantinople?
what impact did it have on the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_scholars_in_the_Renaissance
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You need to stop posting

I don't know, perhaps something to do with greek scholars fleeing the steppeniggers and moving to the richest cities in Europe that were located in Italy and started to invest in the arts and sciences and the fact that muslims now controlled trade with the East and made it very desirable to find a sea route to India

any sources on the topic?

That is his third trip. Mods are quite active on Veeky Forums

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>I don't know, perhaps something to do with greek scholars fleeing the steppeniggers and moving to the richest cities in Europe that were located in Italy and started to invest in the arts and sciences
this is exaggerated and actually was almost irrelevant, greek scholars and artist didn't contribute much actually(as they were simply shit)

Roman Empire was a rotting corpse not only as a state but also culturally and scientifically, it's not about it's fall itself but about
>that muslims now controlled trade with the East and made it very desirable to find a sea route to India
This. Turks now controlled the most important trade route, and except for jews and other Venetians no one in Europe really had a good deal with them.

>ends the Byzantine empire
>destroys the former border between Christendom and Islam
>gives one of the biggest cities in the world to the Ottomans
>the Ottomans now have a solid base for all operations to the north, allowing war in the balkans
>later, it remains the center of Turkey
>Latin/Greek/Byzantine scholars flee to Italy and kickstart the Renaissance
>European Christian Access to the middle east and India becomes more difficult, promoting the search for alternate trade routes, pushing a whole new era of exploration

And so on and so forth.

>>ends the Byzantine empire
The Roman Empire was a rotting, fragmentated corpse anyway. It already happened in 1204, not that much of a deal.
>>destroys the former border between Christendom and Islam
I don't really get that sentence? The border wasn't destroyed, it was pushed north.
>>gives one of the biggest cities in the world to the Ottomans
In 1453 Constantinople wasn't one of the biggest cities in the world. It had barely ~50,000 people, the city was basically villages here and there with wilderness in the middle
>>the Ottomans now have a solid base for all operations to the north, allowing war in the balkans
Can you stop please spewing made up shit? In 1453 most of Balkans were already conquered by the Ottomans. They already had more than a "solid base" there. You are partly right though, as Constantinople made the empire actually continuous.
>>later, it remains the center of Turkey
The main point about Fall of Constantinople is that the Turks got arguably the best possible location for an urban centre in Europe. It's geographic position is so good that under a relatively stable government it's always either simply the largest city in Europe(it is now) or one of the largest and most prosperous.
>>Latin/Greek/Byzantine scholars flee to Italy and kickstart the Renaissance
Tell me one of these scholars and their actual contributions.
>>European Christian Access to the middle east and India becomes more difficult, promoting the search for alternate trade routes, pushing a whole new era of exploration
That one is true tho.

It was the final collapse of a state that had existed continuously in some way ever since 753 BC. That's pretty important.

>this is exaggerated and actually was almost irrelevant, greek scholars and artist didn't contribute much actually(as they were simply shit)

Some people definitely exaggerate the effect of the Greek scholars/artists on the Renaissance, but you can't deny that they had a substantial effect nonetheless. From exposing Western scholars to many Ancient Greek texts, to introducing Greek artistic techniques to Italian artists, Greek influence is simply everywhere in the early Renaissance.

>Tell me one of these scholars and their actual contributions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_scholars_in_the_Renaissance
>inb4 wikipedia not credible source
Check the sources at the bottom. Not all of them are credible, but there's definitely a couple credible books from respectable historians there.

> That's pretty important.
Some states existed longer, but nobody cares about they collapse.

>From exposing Western scholars to many Ancient Greek texts
Muh Greece muh philosophers...

Bunch of non scientific bullshit. Ancient Greece wasn't more valuable or advanced than fucking Middle Ages.

The biggest impact is that it triggered age of exploration

What's exaggerated is the Byzantine influence on these events. Greek was of course important but most Classical works in Greek came from Southern Italy and France, not Byzantine refugees, and they served mostly as tutors for rich nobles who wanted to learn Greek to seem cultured as most of the important works had already been translated into Latin by then.

>that's pretty important
Why?

>This. Turks now controlled the most important trade route, and except for jews and other Venetians no one in Europe really had a good deal with them.

The Italians had a monopoly on the Eastern Mediterranean already, and the Turks coming in didn't change any of that. The reason the Spanish and Portuguese were sailing for new lands and trade routes was to circumvent the Italian monopoly on trade rights with Muslim Asian and African powers.

It's just a meme carried over from /int/ Byzaboos and LARPers.

that's what I meant...

no I still think it's an event of truly historic, universal significance

we are taught about it on history classes even if my country didn't have any ties with the Byzantines (I'm from Poland)

what did they tell you about it?
why is it significant?

>we are taught about it on history classes even if my country didn't have any ties with the Byzantines (I'm from Poland)

Like I said, LARPers. It ties into the idea of Fortress Christendom for reactionaries and traditionalists.

Because
>muhhh muslimsss