Besides the GT86 being slow, what else is bad about it?

Besides the GT86 being slow, what else is bad about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/cars/toyota/toyota-gt86-review/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

boxer engine. that is all. if it had even the v6 camry/aurion engine it would've been awesome.

Does it not use prius tires as well?

prius tires are just for the easy to drift meme.

Boxer 4, yet has no torque. Who doesn't turbo their cars in this day and age? Also is very ugly.

The owner community is full of fags in denial

I think the BRZ community is worse.

much better looking than literally any hatchback

It's bland as shit while also being offensively ugly.

it's not cheap enough yet for all the poor highschool bus riders on Veeky Forums.
in 10 years they'll be all over it.

This

In what alternate reality does a Prius come with summer tires?

>Same price as a WRX
>Objectively inferior in every measurable way

Really boggles the ol' noggle

Apart from high-maintenance-interval items, that's really not an issue. Subaru gaskets haven't been an issue since the early 2.5L EJ series.
I'm confused, Veeky Forums worships the s2000 yet it has less torque through most of its powerband than the BRZ twins do, but hates the BRZ for a bad torque curve/small torque figure?

S2000 is a car from 2000

FR-S is a car from 2012

People were expecting improvements in a car 12 years newer.

The s2000 also cost like 50000 dollars in today's money. And didn't have backseats or a roof. Granted, it did have nicer suspension geometry.

Except the WRX is an understeering pig

The S2000 competed with the Boxster and Z3/4, it cost nearly twice as much as the BRZ

If I wanted a high maintenance, underpowered, overweight, slow rwd coupe, I'd get an RX8. They're both torqueless pieces of shit.

I don't think you quite understand how unreliable and maintenance heavy RX8s were

For a lightweight, 2.0 4 cylinder car the fuel economy is terrible. Worst part is it needs premium fuel, what a joke.

>FRS makes 100hp/L
>waah it's too thirsty!
>ND Miata barely makes 77hp/L
>wow what an under powered piece of shit!

I fucking hate no cars

Maybe, but for a coupé it's not very pretty.

What hurts it the most is the price. Its a bit pricy compared to an older car with either the same specs or better. Hell you can get a c5 corvette for 10k. Once it hits the 10k mark, people will be all over it

>used cars are cheaper than new cars
Wow

You need to burn more fuel to make more power, and there's no replacement for displacement

For example, 600cc motorcycle engines rev nearly three times as high as engines three times the size to make slightly less horsepower and a half the torque. So a 600cc i4 motor making 120hp/60lbft (at 14k RPM) gets 35-40mpg, and a 1.8l corolla makes 130hp/100lbft at like 5k RPM.

For a 2.0 4cyl to make serious power it's going to burn serious fuel, rev higher to reach peak power, or do both.

there hasn't been an attractive looking coupe in a decade

My 3.8 litre V6 17 year old landbarge sedan uses barely any more fuel than an 86, and my cars runs on standard unleaded. (my car is VT commodore)

>nearly double the displacement
I wonder why...

but the transmission and motor in a 1.8l corolla weighs as much as an entire motorcycle

blame ecology

Slow
Premium Fool
Expensive
Weird
Cramped Seating
Embarrassing
Hard Suspension
Hard to drive
Expensive for what it is
Basic
Won't hold value at all

telegraph.co.uk/cars/toyota/toyota-gt86-review/

Everyone who falls for this sucker is eternally retarded

Post your bus

this.
Its the new 200sx/silvia/ae86 replacement

I love the gt86 unironically and I think its one of the best sports cars that is not a convertable ever made.

What's high maintenance about it?

I find that the interior really sucks, its all simple plasticy shit. The sound system sucks and the speakers will resonate if you turn up the radio a little louder than normal which pretty much means anything with any sort of bass will just get drowned out in shit.

Next I really hate the fact that they put this thing on these dinky prius tires like wtf they could have put normal tires like on other sedans but NO they fucking didn't.

Also the price isn't that great, this thing really shouldn't be 26k, should be like 24. So i you're interested in buying one of these, always buy used because the price is ass

OP, the car is a manlet mobile. how anyone can be comfortable in that is beyond me if you are taller than 5'6

Oh yea one last thing, if you're over 6'2'' you'll probably hate this car. Head room and leg room are strained in this car.

>Won't hold value at all
No car holds value you fucking retard

The economy tires make sense for a car that can be used daily. The mistake is not offering or advertising a factory wheel/tire package with wider wheels that fit the arches better and sticky tires.

Obviously you don't own anything worth a shit. Plenty of cars hold their resale values very well. But of course you probably considered the GT86 so no point responding to a subhuman

>No car holds value you fucking retard

Really joggin the noggin

>The economy tires make sense for a car that can be used daily.
No it doesn't make sense. I don't want to pay for slicks for my car, hell many other sporty cars like this come with slicks, like the Civic Si comes with slicks, the WRX comes with slicks, etc. For a car that touts itself as super agile in the turns the LAST thing you want is a lack of traction

No you are fucking retarded, all cars depreciate the moment you drive them off the lot.

>my car magically gains value the more I drive it.

No it doesn't make sense at all. It hurts performance in every way. Which means hurting handling in emergency situations like panic stops or swerves. They did it so this underpowered POS can oversteer some.

Really made me think

>my ultra rare super car is an exception to the rule but I don't want to be reasonable in this so I'll project that since the Ford fucking GT does it, that means EVERY car must do it like a GT86 or a civic or any other car of the sort

In this age of benchracing I suppose it might not make sense. I run BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires. Are they the most grippy? Fuck no. But since they're not showing cords, they're still safe to drive and can be made to squeal on twisty roads while not having to go fast enough to ensure my death, only increase my chances of it. I'm not a professional racing driver running at 10/10ths competing for prize money and continued sponsorship, so I don't mind having a slightly suboptimal setup for performance when it means I find it more fun. What tires do you guys run? Sorry to get off topic.

Its not even about "professional driving" the compound of summer slicks is much different from shitty all seasons and its very very noticeable.

>since they're not showing cords they're fine
don't go by this, actually measure how much tread you have left because thats not a good indicator, cords showing is WAY too late.

The tires I have on my WRX are Michellin pilot sports and they're amazing compared to the all seasons I tried to do 2 years ago.

Primacy HPs aren't economy tires, I have them on my Porsche

>Outside the US
It's fucking nothing

Lmao I've got years before I even hit the wear indicators with these bricks of tires, was just trying to say any decent brand tire that isn't fucked will be safe.

I just bought one new. It's faster than anything else I've driven but I didn't prioritize speed. I wanted a smaller, nimble, rwd, good handling, fun to drive car that I think looks good. Besides the miata I can't think of any other car that has what I was looking for new.

Go back to your containment thread. You are out of your league. Holding resale value better than other cars != appreciate in value.

>wow my shit sucks slightly less than other cars
>wow my car depreciated only 13% instead of 15% last year this is so amazing I'm going to say this is the general rule of thumb for a "good" car what ever that means, doesn't matter when I can just say "nah you're out of your league" as I post extraneous examples like a ford fucking GT

So what cars do hold value better than others?Certainly not any AMG. Porsches on the other hand do

And for some reason Ridgelines. Go compare a Ridgeline to a similar Pilot and it'll be twice as expensive

Brz's get shit on alot, think their pretty decent cars wouldnt buy one though I think the ND i got was the better choice.

Toyota is silly, I have no idea why they let subaru put unboosted boxer engine. They should have found a way to put in a camry engine in it and put an agressive tune. It would have made the car way better

Tell me what you think is wrong with the boxer layout?

THIS
the Toyobaru twins should have came with the 2GR, but Subaru execs are as big of fags as WRX owners as wouldn't dare put anything interesting in it that would overshadow the WRX
Such a shame

He didn't mean the layout itself, just the choice of engine, if it was an H6 or a H4 turbo this would have been a non-issue

It was a hail mary for Scion
Toyota didn't want to let Scion die and partnered with Subaru to attempt to salvage it.
The car is gimped purely by existing because of the retarded choices made in almost every area

Then he should have said FA20, although I fail to see what's wrong with a 200hp N/A engine in a little sports car.

>Loses in every way to a poorfag's $4000 Z28 that's 17 fucking years old
You tell me

>Hail Mary for Scion
Yes and no. Akio Toyoda decided Toyota must have a sports car, and so partnered with Subaru because (A) Toyota owns a portion of Subaru, and (B) they wanted a boxer engine that would sit low in the engine bay, and would also be a callback to the Sports 800.

In the US, it was rebadged as a Scion to inject some new life into that brand, but that has nothing to do with its development.

You guys realize that the 86 engine is very easy to mod right? Heck, a simple remap is guaranteed to fix the torque dip and yield an easy 10 to 15% improvement across the bands.

So does a new miata but Veeky Forums loves the miata.

i respect that mazda still uses the same formula with their niche cars. miata, small lightweight rwd, rx car... wankel but i could never get over the rear meme doors. just looked like a fucking saturn ion to me

>muh spiritual successor to AE86
>it's trash

what did toyota mean by this???

>exactly in the spirit of the ae86
>costs the same, inflation adjusted
>runs right with the Miata, the closest thing it has to a market competitor
>it's "shit"
what did user mean by this???

Okay I'll bite since I test drove them both before getting a BRZ

>Better handling
>Higher revving/better sound
>More reliable (n/a)
>Better driving position/feel by far
>Better interior in limited trim
>Doesn't look like a typical corrola tier car

I don't give a shit about 4 doors and I'm in a climate where AWD isn't needed. I put good wheels and tires on the BRZ and love it (the Prius tires meme is real). Only thing I miss out of the WRX would be tarbo, but DESU I'm really enjoying revving out the BRZ. I thought I would for sure slap a turbo on eventually but now I'm thinking about keeping it NA and driving it like an s2000 or Integra R.

I'm 6'1 and have plenty of headroom m8. Do you drive in tractor position like a fag?

>I'm confused, Veeky Forums worships the s2000 yet it has less torque through most of its powerband than the BRZ twins do, but hates the BRZ for a bad torque curve/small torque figure?
The s2000 had double-wishbone front suspension because it didn't have a fucking boxer engine, unlike the "good-handling" BRZ.

Don't some Porsches use Mcstrut?

Yes, because Porsche has built itself on making sports cars that are also practical in daily use, and double wishbone suspension would eat into the trunk space at the front of the vehicle.

This is why you put the engine in the front and you don't using a fucking boxer engine.

I know the RX8, much more than emissions regulations, killed off the rotary. The RX8 was legendarily bad, it makes the Yugo look like a Toyota.

Sooooo what makes an 86 not a sportscar that's practical? You make mcstruts out like it's the worst thing in the world in your earlier post too, really the 86's biggest front suspension problem is the positive camber stock.

the area between the rear of the door and the rear wheels is too big, makes it look bloated, all because it is a cuck-tier 2+2 coupe

>>Higher revving/better sound
Its the same engine

so literally nothing but your uninformed opinion

>Sooooo what makes an 86 not a sportscar that's practical?
It's a practical car that isn't sporty enough to be a sports car.

It isn't faster than a typical car in a straight line, and its cornering ability isn't strong enough to make up for that like in other cars such as the Miata. A car that can't do either of those well isn't a sports car.

What the GT86 actually is, is an econobox that has the looks of a sports car. The former actually makes it similar to the AE86, but the latter is essentially false advertisement.

Now, the key difference between the GT86 and the AE86 comes down to potential. The AE86 had a lot of potential to be a good cornering vehicle in its day because of its good chassis for its price and large aftermarket support. The GT86 doesn't have that kind of aftermarket support, and it never will because it doesn't get used in racing events like the AE86 did.

The engine choice is what truly gimps the car. You cannot put truly good suspension in the front of that vehicle as long as it has that boxer engine. You will have to swap the engine. If you're going to swap the engine and swap the front suspension with something completely different to bring out the car's potential, you may as well have just started with a more expensive vehicle in the first place.

>You make mcstruts out like it's the worst thing in the world in your earlier post too,
The front suspension is less important in rear-engine cars than in front-engine cars. Front-engine cars have more weight upfront, which means better suspension upfront makes a bigger difference.

>It's a practical car that isn't sporty enough to be a sports car.
Not him but based on what?

>its an econobox
based on nothing but your uninformed opinion. It isn't advertised or designed as any kind of economical MPG friendly vehicle

>The AE86 had a lot of potential to be a good cornering vehicle in its day because of its good chassis for its price and large aftermarket support.
So does the GT86, its been around for more than 5 years and the aftermarket support is as big as any other sporty-er car of the type.

>you can't have any kind of suspension
sure you can, multilink or wishbone doesn't magically make the car good and it already has a good suspension that gives it great agility.

>theres a lot more weight in the front

the weight distribution of the BRZ/86 is 53/47 its really not that big of a deal.

it is a v good sports car. Only bad thing about GT86 is the looks don't match the performance, specifically the enigne. They need to tone down the sports look a bit. Little more mature

Fucking boong spec max kek

It is, but your average GT86 owner is a bit of a wank too. There's a few good ones who can take the banter, but plenty are real touchy about it being slow.

Also a totally different car to the WRX. Good buspost, friend.

>being this autistic
top zoz

I have to ask, would ayone be against it if Mazda somehow got their hands on the GT86 platform and used it to make the new RX-7? obv with Mazda styling and body panel design.

Do you listen to yourself speak?
>cornering ability isn't strong enough
Is that why it hangs right with a miata that's equipped with better tires?

A rwd, mechanical linkage shifter, lightweight chassis, balanced chassis, small coupe body, and a small engine pushed close to the engineering limit of its cylinder count isn't a sportscar?

>The ae86 had potential
Uh, you know it had a live rear axle and mcstruts up front as well right?
>more weight up front makes front suspension design matter more
Literally what
The Porsches I was talking about have mcstruts in the rear.
Jesus fucking Christ you have to be a troll.

The owners are the biggest gimps, probs rivals or even beats Evo owners

there is nothing wrong with the Toyobarus that cannot be fixed with better tires and an ecu flash.

It is the car that Veeky Forumstists claim they always want. Though given some out of the box handicaps because mpgeees.

yet as always. Veeky Forumstists complain that a car that starts below 30k, is not ZO6 fast.

The interior is cheap rattly garbage
It has a Subaru engine that's unreliable and hard to service
It doesn't have any normie appeal, so used ones are all trashed by boy racer faggots

What makes the FA20 unreliable or hard to service? You have to get a bit more intimate with the car every plug change but small stuff is actually easier than ever with nice things like a top mounted oil filter.

When it is sold as a drivers car that was "born to be on a track" yet can be outperformed by a 7 year old used Audi A4 sedan for half the price...

Probably because used cars are cheaper.

I unironically bought a 2010 rx-8 over a gt86/toyobaru/brz.

much cheaper price even when paying out of hand for a compression test during purchasing, cheaper insurance (4door+small 1.3L engine), more bhp stock, a little bit more on gas but well worth it when you factor in insurance savings, actually makes me learn about the car so you don't fuck it up, great handling.

Except you are really wrong. The looks could be the only reason to spend money on this car but unfortunately it isn't. Looks like someone redesigned a refrigerator. Made it sleek so the new kids would like it. At least the interior could be decent but it also isn't. I haven't seen a single good interior in a 21st century Japanese car.

I don't think rx8 gets LITTLE BIT less gas milage.
I driven rx8 before and they are not fast at all. Rev all the way to moon without any power. Frs with simple mod would kill it

Not on the track.

It's not. The fa20 has a higher compression ratio, higher redline, and direct and port injection. Literally spend 2 mins behind the wheel